Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,244 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School (39149 Views)

Peter And Mary Odili's PAMO University Of Medical Sciences, Port Harcourt (Photo / 22 Things You’ll Understand If Mathematics Was Your Worst Subject / No Graduate Of Medical Radiography Is Unemployed, Anywhere On Earth! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Drkul(f): 6:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
Medicine... My dream! My 1st love embarassed
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by toprealman: 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
k
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Ibukune(m): 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
pulsa:
angry angry angryI swear nobody read this long john.

I did from beginning to d end sir.

6 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by swagenity(m): 6:35pm On Jan 23, 2016
t
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by labodinho: 6:36pm On Jan 23, 2016
Toooooo long..... 100

How many of you guys finished reading that?

I still enjoy this Life as a basic medical student.
https://unilaglabodinho./2016/01/15/life-as-a-basic-medical-student/
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by pulsa(m): 6:36pm On Jan 23, 2016
Ibukune:

I did from beginning to d end sir.
Sir you tried o.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Fawwaz05(m): 6:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
This advice is indeed very useful for the pre-clinical years.

Try not to fail. Repeating a course or class is one of the hardest thing to experience in the medical school.

Don't be rude. You can score 75% and still get an F!
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
WELL SAID!
ALL ARE FACTS,
THANK GOD AM THERE AND I LOVE MY PROFESSION smiley
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by yompy(m): 6:38pm On Jan 23, 2016
Y go through all the stress when a sure guy at Aba, Lagos or Onitsha will just run connections and make millions with little stress?
I respect doctors but i feel once u enter med sch u hardly live 4 urself till death. U live for others. Politics, Business, Lecturing or Being a computer guru is better than all these stress except u're cut out 4 it.
There are better ways to make impact & get kudi than these. God bless d doctors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by yemivictor: 6:39pm On Jan 23, 2016
It feels like the OP is studying (or studied) medicine in the States...

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Allwility: 6:40pm On Jan 23, 2016
#TeamEngineering
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by chikason68(m): 6:40pm On Jan 23, 2016
pulsa:
I read it all! Thumb up to all u med student. Many dreamt of it, not all ended up studying it. Jamb & post utme can tell better

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by AmakaDNBStories(f): 6:42pm On Jan 23, 2016
So long...and OP pls this ain't original.
Med schools in America are not same as med schools in Nigeria.
Back to reading dnb stories jor

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 23, 2016
I am inspired smiley
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by billbonesmd(m): 6:47pm On Jan 23, 2016
prelinctus:
Op, sorry to say but this ish is boring af.
if you were a doc, you'll understand the G. Relied on Sk at some point for my feel good moments in med school..

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
prelinctus:
Op, sorry to say but this ish is boring af.
pulsa:
Speechless3:
This piece is as boring as science itself *yawn*
Spidermon:
Bullshit
viktor01:
Can't relate, I am an engineer.
ladyF:
grin I sha came to keep space, thread no *consign* me
It's LadyF again. grin grin grin

Good evening.

I wonder, as you posted what you wrote above....whether you felt cool as you did.

I myself read the whole piece....even though it has been some time since I graduated from university, and yes....I wish I had known all thins stuff before hand.

Instead of felling smug and superior to the OP.....why don't you guys sit down, read the stuff he or she put up,and think about how you can apply it to your life. You may not be reading medicine like some of us.....but you may find the advice useful.Especially the bit about not giving up.....even when the GPA is 0.43 after year one.(Advice a relative of my mum took after getting dismissed from university....he came back, graduated well....and now makes big money in the oil Industry).

Stop laughing at good advice.You never know what you are missing.

The other day....someone gave me advice on bringing up children....even though I am a single male.I appreciated his advice.Better learn to appreciate good advice.

5 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Richy4(m): 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
The last time I saw this kind of dry write up was when I was writing IELTS. the reading aspect ... ... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by VanUrch(m): 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2016
pulsa:

I did
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Why should this make front page. The original writer is writing about American medical schools.
First year medical school in Nigeria is very different. Americans first have to obtain a first degree before medical school, then proceed for a 4 years Med. School.

In Nigeria we do 6 years straight. This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools/ students.
The standard text book for pathology is not Robbins (that's for US schools) and our first years don't do H&P until 4th.
They don't read "First Aid - textbook", don't interact with nurses, they can't even relate to this article.

An article that provides realistic, experience expectations and survival strategy is what is more appropriate. Advice on how to stay on target, pass their basic science courses, socialize, develop good study habits.

Copy and paste with no relevance to the intended readers; and gbam it makes front page.

Interesting!!

Good points....but Robbins is used in pathology courses in Nigeria. (I should know...personal experience).

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by vallycan: 6:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
In ibu's voice...
Op did u just type all dis shiite by ya self....you sure say una medical school no b problems so...

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by d33types: 6:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Why should this make front page. The original writer is writing about American medical schools.
First year medical school in Nigeria is very different. Americans first have to obtain a first degree before medical school, then proceed for a 4 years Med. School.

In Nigeria we do 6 years straight. This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools/ students.
The standard text book for pathology is not Robbins (that's for US schools) and our first years don't do H&P until 4th.
They don't read "First Aid - textbook", don't interact with nurses, they can't even relate to this article.

An article that provides realistic, experience expectations and survival strategy is what is more appropriate. Advice on how to stay on target, pass their basic science courses, socialize, develop good study habits.

Copy and paste with no relevance to the intended readers; and gbam it makes front page.

Interesting!!

Apart from the 6year thingy ,all you said is bull.....

It's robbins for.pathology everywhere..except those Ukrainian and Russian doctors who didn't study in English

Most of us used first aid for studies as it helped with both step 1 and 2nd mb prep..

Don't interact with nurses?ooh jeez,you didn't attend a standard teaching hospital

Doubt If you were ever a medical student, maybe in those crappy mushroom schools that managed to offer mbbs..

Hater.. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by nonjebose(m): 6:52pm On Jan 23, 2016
Speechless3:
This piece is as boring as science itself *yawn*
Nah. Science is interesting and not boring. Oya go sleep
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by misterawo: 6:56pm On Jan 23, 2016
Did you study pathology in your first year? Did you do history and presenting in your first year in medical school. Another wannabe on the loose.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by yemivictor: 6:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
AmakaDNBStories:
So long...and OP pls this ain't original.
Med schools in America are not same as med schools in Nigeria.
Back to reading dnb stories jor

I dey follow you for back....

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by pulsa(m): 6:59pm On Jan 23, 2016
Kikero112:

Good evening.

I wonder, as you posted what you wrote above....whether you felt cool as you did.

I myself read the whole piece....even though it has been some time since I graduated from university, and yes....I wish I had known all thins stuff before hand.

Instead of felling smug and superior to the OP.....why don't you guys sit down, read the stuff he or she put up,and think about how you can apply it to your life. You may not be reading medicine like some of us.....but you may find the advice useful.Especially the bit about not giving up.....even when the GPA is 0.43 after year one.(Advice a relative of my mum took after getting dismissed from university....he came back, graduated well....and now makes big money in the oil Industry).

Stop laughing at good advice.You never know what you are missing.

The other day....someone gave me advice on bringing up children....even though I am a single male.I appreciated his advice.Better learn to appreciate good advice.

Bro chillax I read the post, was just joking, and no am not an un-serious dude check my previous posts to cross check if you like.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by d33types: 7:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
misterawo:
Did you study pathology in your first year? Did you do history and presenting your first year in medical school. Another wannabe on the loose.

Admitedly the heading is misleading. The story captured from 1st yr to being doctors..you didn't read, so shouldn't complain
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by mhizdarmie(f): 7:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
nice write up...keeping aspiring med student posted abt wt to meet..best of luck to medical students...eni se la se ti oo
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Profyxcholar(m): 7:02pm On Jan 23, 2016
I wish to read it but I don't av tym to read long stories.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by olafum1(m): 7:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Interesting!!

Oga. Write your own and Nigerians benefit
Even though I'm not a science student, I learnt something.

So Waris this you are saying? cool
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Khan1993: 7:18pm On Jan 23, 2016
Okay. I don't like scares but this is the reality. Forget wheater it's an american article. Some of these actually happen in Nigeria universities too. Although I believe that what applies to Mr. A doesnt neccesarily apply to Mr. B. Gone are the days when people that dedicate their life to a certain cause devoid of the joie de vivre of this world are called SAINT, Now they are called MEDICAL STUDENT. My prayer is for all of us to survive the struggles in medical school. TeamDENTISTRY

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by DEEDEE111(m): 7:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by flowjoe: 7:22pm On Jan 23, 2016
give it up for the medics, it ain't easy omor na wetin I for pass through be Dat oo, like years of reading & bullsh.ting myself lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Aarinola Olaiya, Obafemi Awolowo University Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.