Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,120 members, 7,811,146 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School (39146 Views)

Peter And Mary Odili's PAMO University Of Medical Sciences, Port Harcourt (Photo / 22 Things You’ll Understand If Mathematics Was Your Worst Subject / No Graduate Of Medical Radiography Is Unemployed, Anywhere On Earth! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 12:31am On Jan 24, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Why should this make front page. The original writer is writing about American medical schools.
First year medical school in Nigeria is very different. Americans first have to obtain a first degree before medical school, then proceed for a 4 years Med. School.

In Nigeria we do 6 years straight. This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools/ students.
The standard text book for pathology is not Robbins (that's for US schools) and our first years don't do H&P until 4th.
They don't read "First Aid - textbook", don't interact with nurses, they can't even relate to this article.

An article that provides realistic, experience expectations and survival strategy is what is more appropriate. Advice on how to stay on target, pass their basic science courses, socialize, develop good study habits.

Copy and paste with no relevance to the intended readers; and gbam it makes front page.

Interesting!!
I tink the Op is not really wise copying and pasting everything! I was surprise seeing those stuff in fIrst year Med school.. My First year na Physic, chem etc I do o! The Op should should be one of those jambites or Med aspirant!

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by lepasharon(f): 3:11am On Jan 24, 2016
Can anyone here advice me on how to sucessfully get into graduate entry medicine ?
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by drnoel: 4:47am On Jan 24, 2016
looseweight:
So all these because of studying of medicine

Thats cuts across medicine in most countries but though it looks eerily familiar with medicine in the USA
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by InvertedHammer: 5:20am On Jan 24, 2016
/
Not necessarily medical school, any serious student in any science discipline will go through the same routine in order to excel.

Some of the things you stated are facts but somewhat embellished. There are always easier ways of doing anything.
\
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Redfruit(m): 6:23am On Jan 24, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Why should this make front page. The original writer is writing about American medical schools.
First year medical school in Nigeria is very different. Americans first have to obtain a first degree before medical school, then proceed for a 4 years Med. School.

In Nigeria we do 6 years straight. This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools/ students.
The standard text book for pathology is not Robbins (that's for US schools) and our first years don't do H&P until 4th.
They don't read "First Aid - textbook", don't interact with nurses, they can't even relate to this article.

An article that provides realistic, experience expectations and survival strategy is what is more appropriate. Advice on how to stay on target, pass their basic science courses, socialize, develop good study habits.

Copy and paste with no relevance to the intended readers; and gbam it makes front page.

Interesting!!
Robins is the standard pathology text in Nigeria and most parts of the world. Which other text is better than it? Please don't tell me Harsh Mohan, those indians know how to twist academic facts. Just go and read their definition of neoplasm and you will hate it. All the same, harsh is good for revision.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by SmooshCHN: 6:27am On Jan 24, 2016
as a medical student i have some to add too
1. you will learn to delete what you read for the previous exam and have some head space for the next exam
2. you will find our you start to label every part of the animal you are eating or cutting
3. you will learn to spell the medical terms correctly and you will still be confused of the pronounciation and spellings if it's right or wrong
4. you will want to know the causes of any symptoms of sickness you have and the exact name but you will be scared of treating yourself

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by MedicalSamwise(m): 8:09am On Jan 24, 2016
prelinctus:
Op, sorry to say but this ish is boring af.
it will b boring to "non-initiates like you"
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Chartey(m): 8:10am On Jan 24, 2016
lepasharon:
Can anyone here advice me on how to sucessfully get into graduate entry medicine ?

https://www.nairaland.com/1049407/medical-students-aspirants-thread/332

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by bawz012(m): 8:59am On Jan 24, 2016
YourMain:

Yes!
are u a medical person?.

BTW i hope to marry a doctor/nurse sha...

bt i also think any good wife will make a good doc/nurse.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by PipSurgeon(m): 9:56am On Jan 24, 2016
all this in first year i beg to defer.. sha nice write up
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 11:29am On Jan 24, 2016
bawz012:
are u a medical person?.

BTW i hope to marry a doctor/nurse sha...

bt i also think any good wife will make a good doc/nurse.

sad no I'm not sad

I hope to marry a doctor too!

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by weezii(m): 11:47am On Jan 24, 2016
emmaliver:
Too long. bro Leave trash for lawma. I pass tru med school. All these aint necessary abeg. Just be yourself n dont imitate or copy anyone. Know what works for you n follow it. I repeat don't imitate anyone period.
My oga I sight you.

The op fit no be medical student for naija sef

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Jennifer89(f): 12:24pm On Jan 24, 2016
hmmmmm
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Chartey(m): 12:43pm On Jan 24, 2016
YourMain:

sad no I'm not sad

I hope to marry a doctor too!

You're not bad at all. I have a girlfriend but I can introduce you to some friends. wink
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 24, 2016
Chartey:

You're not bad at all. I have a girlfriend but I can introduce you to some friends. wink

Hahahha ehhhhh. I was only kidding. I'm fine thank you.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by GideonOmach(m): 4:41pm On Jan 24, 2016
yompy:
Y go through all the stress when a sure guy at Aba, Lagos or Onitsha will just run connections and make millions with little stress?
I respect doctors but i feel once u enter med sch u hardly live 4 urself till death. U live for others. Politics, Business, Lecturing or Being a computer guru is better than all these stress except u're cut out 4 it.
There are better ways to make impact & get kudi than these. God bless d doctors.

That's the very "why" we are not same all!
by the way the medical life is the ideal life!
life is not a self-serving system, it's a system serving others!
The medical life teaches you to assume the full concept of life and what God ordained it to be!!
Medicine is a life that expresses what Love and sacrifice holds!
Jesus lived healing people and serving humanity, he died sacrificing himself for it to show the current and thereafter full concept of life and what God would have it to be!!
So, Life/living is a service of love to humanity, medicine is exuding this Love in the appearance of compassion and empathy, assuming God's place on the line of Humanity and divinity!!!
it's not given to all to become it,just a few!! and it's a privilege to be in a position to serve God and humanity!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by mentorandfriend(m): 12:27am On Jan 25, 2016
Drkul:
Medicine... My dream! My 1st love embarassed
When you graduate, you'll see there is nothing much there. Your teachers and senior colleagues will keep lying to you about the glamour of it all. You'll know the truth when you graduate and hustling starts.

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Drkul(f): 6:26am On Jan 25, 2016
mentorandfriend:
When you graduate, you'll see there is nothing much there. Your teachers and senior colleagues will keep lying to you about the glamour of it all. You'll know the truth when you graduate and hustling starts.
I have graduated and done with service and still miss my 1st Love embarassed
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by mentorandfriend(m): 8:18am On Jan 25, 2016
Drkul:

I have graduated and done with service and still miss my 1st Love embarassed
I guess your first love then is being a medical student. Am I wrong?

BTW, what did you study in school dear?
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Drkul(f): 9:30am On Jan 25, 2016
mentorandfriend:
I guess your first love then is being a medical student. Am I wrong?

BTW, what did you study in school dear?
Ye, You are right. Studied Biochemistry.

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by mentorandfriend(m): 9:41am On Jan 25, 2016
Drkul:

Ye, You are right. Studied Biochemistry.
Your dp is cool. wink

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Drkul(f): 10:01am On Jan 25, 2016
mentorandfriend:
Your dp is cool. wink
Gracias wink

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by lanrejoe10: 11:42pm On Jan 25, 2016
Do you expect me to read all these? I've got Dodo in the hot oiled frying pan..abet?
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Furiad(m): 2:15pm On Apr 21, 2016
I swear nobody read this long john... Didn't miss out a single punctuation...
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by goodygallant(f): 10:36pm On Jul 01, 2016
dis is quite educating. Nice one!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fake Hushpuppi Defrauds Student Of His Tuition Fee On Twitter / 5-Year-Old Boy Drowns During Swimming Lesson Organised By His School In Lagos / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.