Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,362 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School (39151 Views)

Peter And Mary Odili's PAMO University Of Medical Sciences, Port Harcourt (Photo / 22 Things You’ll Understand If Mathematics Was Your Worst Subject / No Graduate Of Medical Radiography Is Unemployed, Anywhere On Earth! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Khan1993: 7:26pm On Jan 23, 2016
Profyxcholar:
I wish to read it but I don't av tym to read long stories.
you know a white once said if you want to hide something from a blackman, dont put in a safe, instead put it a a book. They never read. The bottom line is if you claim this is too long for you to read, i really don't know what to think.
Hope i didn't offend you.

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Chrisx1x(m): 7:33pm On Jan 23, 2016
I tried my best to read it but it was just too lengthy and meaningless to me.na novel u dey write?gosh i give up
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by faites(f): 7:35pm On Jan 23, 2016
Highly overrated. Write-ups like this are what makes doctors feel and behave like demi gods.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Jdtester: 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2016
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by JhyMedex: 7:49pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Why should this make front page. The original writer is writing about American medical schools.
First year medical school in Nigeria is very different. Americans first have to obtain a first degree before medical school, then proceed for a 4 years Med. School.

In Nigeria we do 6 years straight. This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools/ students.
The standard text book for pathology is not Robbins (that's for US schools) and our first years don't do H&P until 4th.
They don't read "First Aid - textbook", don't interact with nurses, they can't even relate to this article.

An article that provides realistic, experience expectations and survival strategy is what is more appropriate. Advice on how to stay on target, pass their basic science courses, socialize, develop good study habits.

Copy and paste with no relevance to the intended readers; and gbam it makes front page.

Interesting!!
U either knw notin abt d Course Medicine n surgery or u ain't a med student at all... Maybe written by an American bt Dere were so many pts in dt article I cld directly relate 2...
Calm down

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by JhyMedex: 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
faites:
Highly overrated. Write-ups like this are what makes doctors feel and behave like demi gods.
wat is dis one saying nw...
Inferiority complex...

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by sunsky29(m): 7:56pm On Jan 23, 2016
Click like if u stopped reading at number 10
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by lilreese: 8:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
No be easy
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Applaner: 8:08pm On Jan 23, 2016
Op,

Then you don't need to study accounting because worst will happen.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Khan1993: 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2016
Applaner:
Op,

Then you don't need to study accounting because worst will happen.
are you saying accounting is time consuming than medicine. I laugh in swahili
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by hamzeiy: 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
you will realize you aint that smart after all when you meet Engineering boyz
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by hamzeiy: 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
you will realize you aint that smart afterall when you meet Engineering boyz
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by lovely17(m): 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2016
This came in just the right time facing my destiny in April #Medilag

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by lyner(m): 8:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
prelinctus:
Op, sorry to say but this ish is boring af.

Medics should relate well to it. Probably not u

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by ebner70(m): 8:32pm On Jan 23, 2016
This writeup should be for 4th year medical students naa, am a product of a medical school and I know ds article no concern 1st year students
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Zellie: 9:26pm On Jan 23, 2016
101) Trying to understand religion is like reading Last's without atlas, you just won't get it angry

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by omicron(m): 9:31pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Why should this make front page. The original writer is writing about American medical schools.
First year medical school in Nigeria is very different. Americans first have to obtain a first degree before medical school, then proceed for a 4 years Med. School.

In Nigeria we do 6 years straight. This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools/ students.
The standard text book for pathology is not Robbins (that's for US schools) and our first years don't do H&P until 4th.
They don't read "First Aid - textbook", don't interact with nurses, they can't even relate to this article.

An article that provides realistic, experience expectations and survival strategy is what is more appropriate. Advice on how to stay on target, pass their basic science courses, socialize, develop good study habits.

Copy and paste with no relevance to the intended readers; and gbam it makes front page.

Interesting!!
You started a bit well, but your comment on Robbins shows you are as uninformed as the original writer about Nigerian medicine.

Robbins is the Bible of Pathology in Nigeria. Actually, medical textbooks used in Nigeria are exactly same as in US, from Keith More Anatomy, to Robbins Pathology, to Katzung Pharmacology to Gannongs Physiology, Harpers Biochem, Davidsons Medicine and Bailey n Love Surgery. Only Last's Anatomy and Ten Teachers Obstetrics and Gynae are UK texts used commonly in Nigeria.

To a great extent, the points by the OP apply to Naija med students too. Minor exceptions are that we do 6 years straight and not 4 yrs. However, students with 1st degree in related courses do it in 5yrs in nigeria. And our first year is basically basic general sciences, with real medical sciences begining from 2nd year.

3 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by HaneefahRN(f): 9:43pm On Jan 23, 2016
Very interesting read. May God ease our affairs. I'm a nurse but can relate wt some of those points
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by classicdude1(m): 10:00pm On Jan 23, 2016
oboy
all these to learn
abeg
am sticking to my engineering
the post is too long.....
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Spirit1(m): 10:01pm On Jan 23, 2016
Chartey:

Really In which medical school please? It's standard in the Nigerian schools i know.

I'm find it hard to believe you're either a medical student or doctor. There's no way a medical student will not RELATE to these whether the author is American or not.
And FYI, medical students here write USMLE too and therefore use First Aid and many HY books.

First year medical students in Nigeria do not write USMLE sir. They do not use "First Aid" and they do not use Robbins pathology textbook.

Before you start being sure that I am neither a doctor nor a medical student, please read the subject of the post. It's about first year medical students. A first year Nigerian medical student has no business relating to any of those things written there. They should first concentrate in developing the social skills needed to survive in the university, develop a good study habit, and learn a good work - life balance.

First year Nigerian medical students are busy struggling with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Genetics, English and basic first year courses like everyone else.

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Spirit1(m): 10:11pm On Jan 23, 2016
omicron:
You started a bit well, but your comment on Robbins shows you are as uninformed as the original writer about Nigerian medicine.

Robbins is the Bible of Pathology in Nigeria. Actually, medical textbooks used in Nigeria are exactly same as in US, from Keith More Anatomy, to Robbins Pathology, to Katzung Pharmacology to Gannongs Physiology, Harpers Biochem, Davidsons Medicine and Bailey n Love Surgery. Only Last's Anatomy and Ten Teachers Obstetrics and Gynae are UK texts used commonly in Nigeria.

To a great extent, the points by the OP apply to Naija med students too. Minor exceptions are that we do 6 years straight and not 4 yrs. However, students with 1st degree in related courses do it in 5yrs in nigeria. And our first year is basically basic general sciences, with real medical sciences begining from 2nd year.

Again the original article was about first year medical students, not medical students in general.
If the article was about 4th year Nigerian medical students, it will make sense.

Am not contesting that you don't read all those books if you are going to take USMLE, but you don't take USMLE in first year medical school in Nigeria and therefore the article is flawed as directed to the readers.

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Spirit1(m): 10:16pm On Jan 23, 2016
JhyMedex:

U either knw notin abt d Course Medicine n surgery or u ain't a med student at all... Maybe written by an American bt Dere were so many pts in dt article I cld directly relate 2...
Calm down

Sir before you conclude that I know nothing about the course of medicine and surgery, and that I am not medical student, note that the article was about first year medical students, NOT medical school in general.

If you looked at the subject line , maybe you will understand my criticism.

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Spirit1(m): 10:22pm On Jan 23, 2016
d33types:

Apart from the 6year thingy ,all you said is bull.....

It's robbins for.pathology everywhere..except those Ukrainian and Russian doctors who didn't study in English

Most of us used first aid for studies as it helped with both step 1 and 2nd mb prep..

Don't interact with nurses?ooh jeez,you didn't attend a standard teaching hospital

Doubt If you were ever a medical student, maybe in those crappy mushroom schools that managed to offer mbbs..

Hater.. undecided

Sir the article is about first year medical student.
I am not a hater.
I bet you didn't write 2 nd MB in first year - I hope so.
Neither did you use first aid and co in first year medical school in Nigeria, when you are supposed to concentrate on your basic sciences.

Please if I am wrong, can someone here post the courses taken in first year medical school in Nigeria.

The article posted here is directed to Nigerians, and gives an absolutely wrong description of first year medical school in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by JhyMedex: 10:22pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:

Sir before you conclude that I know nothing about the course of medicine and surgery, and that I am not medical student, note that the article was about first year medical students, NOT medical school in general.

If you looked at the subject line , maybe you will understand my criticism.

Shalom bro... I figured some if d disparities 2....
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Spirit1(m): 10:23pm On Jan 23, 2016
ebner70:
This writeup should be for 4th year medical students naa, am a product of a medical school and I know ds article no concern 1st year students

Thank you sir

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Spirit1(m): 10:27pm On Jan 23, 2016
misterawo:
Did you study pathology in your first year? Did you do history and presenting in your first year in medical school. Another wannabe on the loose.

Thank you again.
This article has no relevance to Nigerian medical schools.
It is flawed by that very subject line - that's basic comprehension we all did in primary school.

It appropriately describes first year medical school in the US and Canada, not Nigeria or even UK from whom we adopted our standard of training.

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by omicron(m): 10:46pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:

Again the original article was about first year medical students, not medical students in general.
If the article was about 4th year Nigerian medical students, it will make sense.

Am not contesting that you don't read all those books if you are going to take USMLE, but you don't take USMLE in first year medical school in Nigeria and therefore the article is flawed as directed to the readers.
The topic of the write up is obviously an error, but you are still wrong in your understanding.

Those books are the REGULAR, NORMAL textbooks any medical student reads. After medical school, they serve mainly as reference texts. USMLE and PLAB are read with special materials particular to the exams, such as past questions, tutorials and exam-focused books. They are exams written by doctors already not med students. No one reads Robbins and co just for USLME, except for reference.

Next time, avoid speaking about specifics when your knowledge is mainly general.
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by d33types: 10:55pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:

Sir the article is about first year medical student.
I am not a hater.
I bet you didn't write 2 nd MB in first year - I hope so.
Neither did you use first aid and co in first year medical school in Nigeria, when you are supposed to concentrate on your basic sciences.

Please if I am wrong, can someone here post the courses taken in first year medical school in Nigeria.

The article posted here is directed to Nigerians, and gives an absolutely wrong description of first year medical school in Nigeria.

Okay..I admit the title is wrong..if your read the contents, you'll agree that the writer mentioned from 1st year to after graduation. After being a doctor..not just 1st year

Amd mind you, first year of medical school is equivalent to 200l where anatomy,physio,and biochem is done..
The year of pure science courses isn't counted as part of med school.
I can totally relate to MOST of the op's point,
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Code45: 11:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
Spirit1:
Nigerians and copy cat.

Interesting!!

No point in what you posted. Stop crying okay?
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Drsmiles(m): 11:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
Wow
So true
Can totally relate
Nigerias equivalent of 4th year though
Voluminous but totally readable

1 Like

Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by praiselin: 11:41pm On Jan 23, 2016
So glad to read this I jus got into 200level Medicine through Direct Entry... God Bless you for this Piece
Jboyossai:

SOURCE= http://ourschool.com.ng/p/318858/things-you-ll-learn-your-first-year-of-medical-school
Re: Things You’ll Learn In Your First Year Of Medical School by Nyceguy92: 11:44pm On Jan 23, 2016
[quote author=Jboyossai post=42250758]

This post won't be helpful to medical students in Nigeria.
When the post mentioned internet, laptop and iPad, I had a hint the author must be from a different environment.

First year Med students in Nigeria battle with how to extract the juice in prescribed textbooks in order to pass courses in Basic Sciences.
They don't have time for iPad and laptop. Where is the internet service to begin with?

As for study methods..., it varies with individuals.
Every topic has the main concept and the application.
Pictorial representation with labeling is good. Writing re-enforces the diagram.

Worst method is memorising or cram work.
A very good study method is to read topic from at least 2 different standard books and condense the info in own words.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Aarinola Olaiya, Obafemi Awolowo University Best Graduating Student / Did JAMB Really Jam Me? Can I Still Get Admission This Year? Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.