Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,021 members, 7,953,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:59 AM

Why We Must Embrace The Cross - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why We Must Embrace The Cross (944 Views)

Maclatunji Must Embrace Ifa Orisha Religion / What Happened To Brother Emma And Lazarus Of The Voice Of The Cross / How Were People Saved Before Jesus Christ Died On The Cross? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Must Embrace The Cross by JJYOU: 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2009
[size=28pt] Why We Must Embrace the Cross[/size]
Monday, 22 June 2009 16:42 Francois de Fenelon SpiritLed Woman - SpiritLed Woman

Do you wonder why God has to make it so hard on you? Why doesn't He make you good without making you miserable in the meantime? Of course He could, but He does not choose to do so.

He wants you to grow a little at a time and not burst into instant maturity. This is what He has decided, and you can only adore His wisdom—even when you don't understand it.

I am awed by what suffering can produce. You and I are nothing without the cross. I agonize and cry when the cross is working within me, but when it is over I look back in admiration for what God has accomplished.

Of course I am then ashamed that I bore it so poorly. I have learned so much from my foolish reactions!

You yourself must endure the painful process of change. There is much more at work here than your instant maturity. God wants to build a relationship with you that is based on faith and trust and not on glamorous miracles.

Father Knows Best

God uses the disappointments, disillusionments, and failures of your life to take your trust away from yourself and help you put your trust in Him. It is like being burned in a slow fire.

You would rather be burned up in a blaze of glory, wouldn't you? But how would this fast burn detach you from yourself? Thus God prepares events to detach you from yourself and from others.

God is your Father; do you think He would ever hurt you? He just cuts you off from things you love in the wrong way. You cry like a baby when God removes something or someone from your life, but you would cry a lot more if you saw the eternal harm such wrong attachments cause you.

You do not see with the eyes of eternity. God knows everything. Nothing happens without His consent.

You are upset by small losses but do not see eternal gains! Don't dwell on your suffering. Your oversensitivity makes your trials worse. Abandon yourself to God.

Everything in you that is not already a part of the established kingdom of God needs the cross. When you accept the cross in love, His kingdom begins to come to life within you. You must bear the cross and be satisfied with what pleases God.

You have need of the cross! The faithful Giver of every good gift gives the cross to you with His own hand. I pray you will come to see how blessed it is to be corrected for your own good.

My God, help us to see Jesus as our model in all suffering. You nailed Him to the cross for us. You made Him a man of sorrows to teach us how useful sorrow is. Give us a heart to turn our backs on ourselves and trust only in You.

Francois de Fenelon, better known simply as "Fenelon," became the Archbishop of Cambrai, France, in the late 1600s. Because of his support of Jeanne Guyon, whom King Louis XIV had condemned, he was banished to his own diocese. However, his correspondence on the subject of a deeper walk with Christ still influences us today. Adapted from The Seeking Heart by Fenelon, copyright 1992. Published by The SeedSowers. Used by permission. http://www.charismamag.com/index.php/newsletters/spiritled-woman-e-magazine/22379-timeless-treasures-why-we-must-embrace-the-cross
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 4:51pm On Jun 25, 2009
What is the 'cross'? Jehovah witnesses will tell you jesus was crucified on a pole.
What does the 'cross' have to do with all mentioned in your post?
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by JeSoul(f): 4:59pm On Jun 25, 2009
JJ thanks for sharing that beautiful piece. We all have to go thru the Refiner's fire in order to come out pure, tried and proven.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by jagunlabi(m): 1:18pm On Jun 26, 2009
And christians will come out and say that they are no idol worshippers.But here we have someone screaming for the embrace of an object, CROSS/CRUCIFIX, as a must.So what is a cross or crucifix then, if not an idol of the god that they all worship. cool
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by ilosiwaju: 1:28pm On Jun 26, 2009
jagunlabi:

And christians will come out and say that they are no idol worshippers,but here we have someone screaming for the embrace of a CROSS/CRUCIFIX as a must.So what is a cross or crucifix then if not an idol of the god that they all worship. cool
jagunlabiii. hmn.
kengbe oro! food for thouht!
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by JeSoul(f): 3:38pm On Jun 26, 2009
I just had to say that it would have been ludicrous, had it not been mostly sad to see the carnal mind trying and failing to understand the things of the Spirit.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by bawomolo(m): 9:17pm On Jun 26, 2009
jagunlabi:

And christians will come out and say that they are no idol worshippers.But here we have someone screaming for the embrace of an object, CROSS/CRUCIFIX, as a must.So what is a cross or crucifix then, if not an idol of the god that they all worship. cool

hmm interesting point.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by blacksta(m): 10:03pm On Jun 26, 2009
JeSoul:

JJ thanks for sharing that beautiful piece. We all have to go thru the Refiner's fire in order to come out pure, tried and proven.

The Carnal Mind is blind - All these so called Athesit cant even resist the bait called Christians. They are so so quick to post .
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by JeSoul(f): 10:06pm On Jun 26, 2009
blacksta:

The Carnal Mind is blind - All these so called Athesit cant even resist the bait called Christians. They are so so quick to post .
Indeed my brotha, not just blind, terribly hostile to anything holy or godly. If they had even bothered to read the piece they would've realized the "Cross" is meant figuratively.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 10:18pm On Jun 26, 2009
Christians? Bait?
Pathetic attempt at increasing self worth. . . Hmmm its quite funny albeit very sad. . . embarassed embarassed
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 10:19pm On Jun 26, 2009
Christians? Bait?
Pathetic attempt at increasing self worth. . . Hmmm its quite funny albeit very sad. . . embarassed embarassed
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by kolaxy(m): 10:28pm On Jun 26, 2009
Thanx JJYOU,
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by No2Atheism(m): 10:51pm On Jun 26, 2009
@atheists and muslims

for goodness sake the topic was based on the figurative meaning of the cross. Not a physical cross.

I would be good for all of us to understand proper use of english before posting responses or reading posts on nairaland.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by jagunlabi(m): 11:16am On Jun 27, 2009
Figurative cross?Like the ones hanged around churches all over the world?Or like the ones christians wear around their necks,or hang in their cars,or on walls of their houses and offices?
Dice it any way you want but it is nothing more than idol worshipping.Let's call a spade a spade.
Christianity is a pagan religion,anyway.
No2Atheism:

@atheists and muslims

for goodness sake the topic was based on the figurative meaning of the cross. Not a physical cross.

I would be good for all of us to understand proper use of english before posting responses or reading posts on nairaland.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by I: 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2009
No2Atheism:

@atheists and muslims

Who's a Muslim among the repliers? Nobody.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by No2Atheism(m): 4:14pm On Jun 27, 2009
jagunlabi:

Figurative cross?Like the ones hanged around churches all over the world?Or like the ones christians wear around their necks,or hang in their cars,or on walls of their houses and offices?
Dice it any way you want but it is nothing more than idol worshipping. Let's call a spade a spade.
Christianity is a pagan religion,anyway.

The bible does not support the worship of symbols, hence it is wrong wen people bow down to a cross or put a cross in their house or on their pillow cus thats idolatory in a mild form.
The bible did not tell churches to hang crosses, that's another invention of the catholic church which i vehemently oppose.
The figurative meaning of the cross represents the place and point of suffering where the Messiah was crucified.

Hence wen a christian is told to carry his own cross and follow the messiah, it is a figurative expression meaning that the christian is expected to make sacrifices, endure pain and persecution and behave like the Messiah under similar circumstances.

@jagunlabi
can u kindly point out where I have supported use of symbols.
can u kindly point out where the bible supports the use of symbols.
stop generalisation in ur desperate attempts to deceive and muddle up facts.
yes the catholic church uses symbols.
yes some churches use symbols.
nevertheless a true christian knows that symbolism in worship is unbiblical and even occultic in nature and just nothing more than catholic idolatory since the bible already requires us in the 2nd commandment not to worship any form of image whether cross or otherwise.

By the way in case u do not know the cross represents the fufillment of the prophecy that says "cursed is he that hangs on a tree" the tree in this case represents that cross,

So stop kidding yourself, as if u have a good point.

Go ahead and find a solution to your satanic verses.
Go ahead and find a solution to how Mohammmed went to physical building called Al Aqsa mosque even while it was simply impossible for him to do so since it had never been built or started during his lifetime.
Go ahead and find a solution to how you would emulate mohammmed and obey Allah in the process of giving out your 9yr old daugther in marriage to another muslim man with more than one wife.
Go ahead and find a solution to how Mohammmed muddled up the history of Moses, Isrealites during the time of Pharaoh.
Go ahead and find a solution to the problem that Mohammed's father was already worshipping an idol called allah even before mohammed was born.
Go ahead and find a solution that muslims must face the kabba and bow down towards the kabba, touch the black stone , stone the devil during the obviously idol worship of those physical items during their lifetime prayers or pilgrimage to mecca.
Go ahead and find a solution to the problem that muslim prayer is not guaranteed to be heard unless you face a particular direction, almost as if allah is deaf in one ear not to hear in another direction.
Go ahead and find a solution to the problem that no single muslim is sure of salvation nor al jannaa even after doing all that allah asks of you.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by No2Atheism(m): 4:18pm On Jun 27, 2009
I:

Who's a Muslim among the repliers? Nobody.

@I

Go ahead and ask @jagunlabi that question and try to be reasonable with your statements and stop lying through the teeth.

Below is a quote from jagunlabi who is a muslims but which ur eyes and mind seem not to know is

@I

By the way, funny that one of your few posts on nairaland was spent lying for islam, sounds like u are someone who know but who is hiding behind another username  grin grin grin, well are u by any chance related to mohammed.

jagunlabi:

Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 4:52pm On Jun 27, 2009
Quote from: No2Atheism
. . . .By the way in case you do not know the cross represents the fufillment of the prophecy that says ''cursed is he that hangs on a tree''. The tree in this case represents the catholic church
What the hell!
How in the crazy world of jesus did the catholic church come to hang on a tree
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by No2Atheism(m): 5:06pm On Jun 27, 2009
Tudór:

Quote from: No2Atheism[/b]What the hell!
How in the crazy world of jesus did the catholic church come to hang on a tree
[b]

grin grin grin oops my bad that was a typo.

I always have the problem that my brain is simply too fast for my typing. My brain thinks something and my fingers do not always type it , hence why i always have to take my time to properly compose and go through my post to ensure that wat i intended to write was actually wat i wrote.

Sorry about that  grin grin grin the mistake has been corrected.

Thanks for bringing it to my notice and saving me the embarrasment of being made to look like a loon grin grin grin
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 5:19pm On Jun 27, 2009
Good. I was sincerely begining to get worried grin grin grin
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Gcares(m): 5:27pm On Jun 27, 2009
I think da article was truly food4 the spirit.thanks+ 4 sharing. And pls do not b distractd by drivel spouting ignoramuses e.g ja, jagun, whateva! He knows himself.
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by slimfine(f): 9:37pm On Jun 28, 2009
the article is alright but doesn't it suggest  that God curses us to suffer?  the world is full of wickedness and as such, we experience life full of turmoil produce by the wicked world, satan and unforseen contingencies. but as believers we look to Jehovah God for strength so God took my grand parents/all my dead loved ones becuase he wants me to be stronger! Absurd!
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 5:57am On Jun 29, 2009
Careful slimfine, The lord works in mysterious ways. . . . grin
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by JJYOU: 10:33am On Jun 29, 2009
thanks all. unbelievable the cross and the blood of Christ still cause this level of offence. it will never loose its power. one day you all will bow to this same cross in Jesus name.

anyway enjoy this hymns

[size=18pt]The Old Rug­ged Cross[/size]

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.

Refrain

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary.

Refrain

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

Refrain

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

Refrain

The Old Rug­ged Cross was writ­ten in Al­bi­on, Mi­chi­gan. Or Po­ka­gon, Mi­chi­gan. Or Stur­geon Bay, Wis­con­sin. All three towns claim to be the birth­place of this hymn.

MARCHING ON

by Maxine Hurston

Satan's warlords draw their swords
To kill the Church of God,
But only stain the path with blood,
Down here on earthen sod.

Christ's Church is marching on.

Not to be defeated,
The Church is marching on.
Christ the cornerstone,

His Church goes marching on.

Preacher, be not weary,
Don't hang your head and sigh.
We are Christ's, He is ours,
Rejoice with faith and cry:

Join us now, you sinners!
Come join our happy throng!
Christ's death has made us free,
So sing with us this song:

His Church is marching on.

You hear the Church marching?
Oh, such a mighty sound!
Born of the Spirit, never to die,

Christ's Church is marching home.

Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by slimfine(f): 3:33am On Jul 02, 2009
@Tudor: Mysterious ways does not equal wicked ways!
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 6:41am On Jul 02, 2009
Tell that to the dying children in sudan and congo. . . .
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by slimfine(f): 6:57am On Jul 02, 2009
I will show them my first reply
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by Tudor6(f): 8:00am On Jul 02, 2009
And they'll say: indeed the lord does work in mysterious ways. . .
Re: Why We Must Embrace The Cross by jagunlabi(m): 11:36am On Jul 02, 2009
Bow to the cross or to your EGO's need for superiority?I think it is the latter.
JJYOU:

one day you all will bow to this same cross in Jesus name.

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Watch Out For These Predictions-nigeria Will Break Into Three / Repent And Recieve Jesus To Avoid Hell / Are There Nigerian Towns That Are Relatively Free Of Religious Fanaticism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.