Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,486 members, 7,816,150 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? (437 Views)

Stephanie Otobo: Going To Prison Was My Punishment For Having Sex With Pastor / When Your Church Does Not Allow Trousers( photo) / Is It Compulsory For Married Couples To Attend The Same Church ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? by heavenlychy: 1:49pm On Jan 24, 2016
Hello NL, please im newly wedded. Before my marriage, I and my husband agreed we will find a new church because I wasn't willing to join him in his church. Reasons are: The first time I went there prior to marriage, when he introduced me to the pastor, the pastor said since I come from a riverine area, that I'm possessed and needed Deliverance, I felt its only fake pastors that judge that way. Secondly, because its a small church, after I left the service before my guy, he later told me that the women in the church were telling him that he should leave me that my *eyes no reach ground". Nevertheless, we got married and till now, my hubby is still going to the church and I can't join him. He has refused us to get another church saying he can't move now because they just made him a Minister. I'm bothered because I too go to my own church and I feel it shouldn't be so. Pls advice me on how to go about this and get my husband out of there before they bad mouth me finish. Sorry for the long write-ups.
Re: Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 24, 2016
Its late, you should have done that before the marriage. it will be difficult to pull him out now. You going to another church will give room to people poisoning his mind.

1 Like

Re: Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? by deltateam: 5:37am On Dec 07, 2019
heavenlychy:
Hello NL, please im newly wedded. Before my marriage, I and my husband agreed we will find a new church because I wasn't willing to join him in his church. Reasons are: The first time I went there prior to marriage, when he introduced me to the pastor, the pastor said since I come from a riverine area, that I'm possessed and needed Deliverance, I felt its only fake pastors that judge that way. Secondly, because its a small church, after I left the service before my guy, he later told me that the women in the church were telling him that he should leave me that my *eyes no reach ground". Nevertheless, we got married and till now, my hubby is still going to the church and I can't join him. He has refused us to get another church saying he can't move now because they just made him a Minister. I'm bothered because I too go to my own church and I feel it shouldn't be so. Pls advice me on how to go about this and get my husband out of there before they bad mouth me finish. Sorry for the long write-ups.

There may be a character you exhibit which doesn't sit well. How's your dressing like? Do you paint?/lipsticks, cortex, trousers etc

Do the deliverance.
Re: Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:56am On Dec 07, 2019
SAD HOW 2 GROWN ADULTS ALLOW INSIGNIFICANT THINGS SUCH AS CHURCH AND PASTOR DEFINE AND RULE THEIR OWN LIVES.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spouse Going To The Same Church; Does It Matter? by Eviana(f): 1:54pm On Dec 07, 2019
Answer: Yes it matters for those serious about their marriage and vow to God.

Actually it's not "sad" as the poster above me mentioned. Nor is it a trivial matter.
It's actually an extremely important issue between Christian couples desiring to honor God as Supreme in their households.
That cannot happen if one spouse attends a church elsewhere.
You first honor that by attending church together..under the same church roof.
It's likened to a "vow" that as the two people marry, they are pledging to worship the Lord in Spirit and truth..that they are one in their ultimate agreement about who their Saviour is.
They physically represent that by honoring the Lord publicly once a week (at minimum).
When the two cannot even agree on something as important as that, then what foundation has been set up in the marriage?
Church was originally designed to consist of families...husband, wife and children...not one spouse at this church and the other spouse at another church.
It was church comprised of well-functioning families, which would produce quality communities, and then a well- functioned society.

The poster stated that the two had decided BEFORE marriage that they would choose a mutual church. So this issue had been discussed. She expressed her valid concerns and he claimed to have understood.
Now the fact that the husband reneged on the agreement (after marriage) says something about his character. Perhaps he never intended on leaving the church and just told her what she wanted to hear...and figured that she would have to get on board regardless.
So now, anger, resentment and strife has sprung up in the marriage.
Why enter a marriage with a stressful situation that need not be? Why attend a church, (where one should be worshiping the Creator collectively with one's family) without one's spouse?
You create a divided family and confused children. Temptation for the spouses also comes into play. Why unnecessarily do that?

Just as the majority of religions (Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus etc) marry amongst their specfic religion due to mutual shared beliefs, (hey even atheists want a fellow atheist that can bash Christianity with), it is the same within denominations (or even attending a separate church under the same denomination) in Christendom. The couple should worship together in the same place.

(1) (Reply)

One Kobo Of Buhari Has Never Entered My Hands---fr Mbaka / ? / Happy Birthday Pope Francis!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.