Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,289 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

What To Do If Your Brakes Fail - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If Your Brakes Fail (32489 Views)

Signs To Note When Your Brakes Need Servicing / What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by callydon(m): 9:22am On Jan 25, 2016
OK
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 25, 2016
if your brakes fails just visit http://awomkenneth.com/
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by yusufu16: 9:23am On Jan 25, 2016
Nawaaa oh. So we should follow all these instructions in less than 30 Seconds. Just use your instinct to stop. It's only a 1 second difference between life and death.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ojay2053(m): 9:24am On Jan 25, 2016
Insightful
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by SuzieeDee(f): 9:24am On Jan 25, 2016
Too bad, I don't drive a car yet..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by makahlj2: 9:26am On Jan 25, 2016
11. Say a prayer.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 25, 2016
P
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 9:28am On Jan 25, 2016
yusufu16:
Nawaaa oh. So we should follow all these instructions in less than 30 Seconds. Just use your instinct to stop. It's only a 1 second difference between life and death.

Brake failure is not a death sentence

Except your villagers are involved grin
yusufu16:

Brake failure is not a death sentence

Except your villagers are involved

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by dasphinx1(m): 9:29am On Jan 25, 2016
Once saved by manual hand brake smiley
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Onota: 9:29am On Jan 25, 2016
How do you reduce the gear of an automatic gear car ?

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by puzzler: 9:30am On Jan 25, 2016
God forbid dat it happens but meanwhile make I save dis page for refferal incase it does happen....
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by toprealman: 9:31am On Jan 25, 2016
key is in 9!
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Emekasmart(m): 9:32am On Jan 25, 2016
So how does one do dis wit an auto ride?
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by slimgold123(f): 9:33am On Jan 25, 2016
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by GreatManBee: 9:34am On Jan 25, 2016
AutosBay:
10 Steps to Safety

1. Downshift immediately

Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine to slow the car, and may give you enough time to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're driving an automatic or a manual, try to downshift smoothly through the gears. If you downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your power steering, and do not put the car in neutral or you will lose the engine braking effect.

2. Try the emergency brake, but don't depend on it to stop you

If you're driving a car with a good, strong emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars with manual transmissions, the emergency brake is often operated via a hand-activated lever located behind the shifter, while in many automatics you use a small pedal located on the far left of the driver. It helps to try your emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how much stopping power it really has.

3. Work your vehicle into the right lane as soon as you can

Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully, watching your mirrors and the traffic around you closely.

4. Stay off the gas pedal

Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to slow down, pull over and safely stop.

5. Check for brake pedal blockage

Believe it or not, debris such as as soda cans or bottles, coffee cups, rolls of paper towels and other items bouncing around in the cockpit can wedge behind your brake pedal, preventing its use. Make sure the pedal's path is clear and if not, kick the obstruction out of the way.

6. Pump your brakes only if you have an older car without anti-lock brakes (ABS)

If your car has standard brakes they may respond to pumping, which could build up enough hydraulic pressure to allow them to work again. But many newer cars with ABS will do the pumping for you, so you should firmly press the brake pedal even if the brakes are not working. The brake failure may be temporary and if they suddenly start working again, your foot will be where it needs to be.

7. Alert others

Turn on your hazards and honk your horn until you're stopped so other motorists will know to give you plenty of room.

8. If you must hit something, aim for something "soft"

This is a judgment call, but a wooden fence is better than a tree, for example -- and anything is preferable to hitting a human being.

9. Stay calm

Knowing the steps outlined in this article and being able to perform them should give you the confidence to respond naturally instead of panicking, in the unlikely event that your brakes do fail.

10. Once you're safely stopped, summon help

Don't be tempted to drive the car again, even if the brakes suddenly start working. Have the car towed to a repair shop or dealer for inspection and repair.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/18/what-to-do-if-your-brakes-fail/
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Leeeekeeee: 9:41am On Jan 25, 2016
demarc001:
Nice information.

If na Nollywood movie na accident sure! Na naija movie I see car that they disengaged the brakes was comfortably driven out of compound using reverse several times to maneuver out through the gate, only for the car to be on highway that's when they experienced brake failure. My question is "when reversing over and over in the compound, was the brakes not applied?"

When u know sh1t, u shut nd learn..

I ve driven from Festac to Ajah nd on my way back to festac the car failed brake...

@topic:
All these ur long grammar nah for person wey they drive for lonely straight expressway...

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by vickoozy(m): 9:44am On Jan 25, 2016
I just learnt a thing or two from this post, thanks a lot OP. I ve been wondering what is dis pedal at the far left of the drivers seat for, I never knew it was an automatic brake pedal.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by timilehin007(m): 9:45am On Jan 25, 2016
Exponental:
most times, it happens within a short time. you get confused and uneasy.
for Manual, switch off ignition and remove leg from clutch gradually while gear is still engaged.

I go for this instead of that longer process
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by bastien: 9:48am On Jan 25, 2016
Na so I dey travel go bayelsa, motor fail brake, pilot no tell us not to bring panic, but as a bad guy like me, I don already know what's up, na so I begin say my last prayers, other passengers just dey whatsapp n ping, the guy just commot leg from gas pedal the car just dey roll, e just dey swerve any obstacles for road till we final stop..... Na so e break the news

Well na mind

3 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ariesbull: 9:52am On Jan 25, 2016
AutosBay:
10 Steps to Safety

1. Downshift immediately

Putting the car in a lower gear allows the engine to slow the car, and may give you enough time to be able to safely pull over. Whether you're driving an automatic or a manual, try to downshift smoothly through the gears. If you downshift too quickly, you risk a skid. Do not shut off the car to stop it, as you'll lose your power steering, and do not put the car in neutral or you will lose the engine braking effect.

If you're driving a car with a good, strong emergency brake, go ahead and use it. In cars with manual transmissions, the emergency brake is often operated via a hand-activated lever located behind the shifter, while in many automatics you use a small pedal located on the far left of the driver. It helps to try your emergency brake out at slow speeds to see how much stopping power it really has.

Move toward the right shoulder of the road, or, if possible, toward an exit. If it is necessary to change lanes, do so smoothly and carefully, watching your mirrors and the traffic around you closely.

Perhaps this goes without saying, but do not touch the gas pedal. Your goal, right now, is to slow down, pull over and safely stop.

Believe it or not, debris such as as soda cans or bottles, coffee cups, rolls of paper towels and other items bouncing around in the cockpit can wedge behind your brake pedal, preventing its use. Make sure the pedal's path is clear and if not, kick the obstruction out of the way.

6. Pump your brakes only if you have an older car without anti-lock brakes (ABS)

If your car has standard brakes they may respond to pumping, which could build up enough hydraulic pressure to allow them to work again. But many newer cars with ABS will do the pumping for you, so you should firmly press the brake pedal even if the brakes are not working. The brake failure may be temporary and if they suddenly start working again, your foot will be where it needs to be.

7. Alert others

Turn on your hazards and honk your horn until you're stopped so other motorists will know to give you plenty of room.

This is a judgment call, but a wooden fence is better than a tree, for example -- and anything is preferable to hitting a human being.

9. Stay calm

Knowing the steps outlined in this article and being able to perform them should give you the confidence to respond naturally instead of panicking, in the unlikely event that your brakes do fail.

Don't be tempted to drive the car again, even if the brakes suddenly start working. Have the car towed to a repair shop or dealer for inspection and repair.

If you use an automatic put your car in neutral
If you use manual..your lucky ..just downshif or use engine braking system

This is for those that know how to drive sticks

Oh I forget it is only men that drive manual while sussies drive auto ..my 7 year old can drive auto

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Emekasmart(m): 9:55am On Jan 25, 2016
ariesbull:

If you use an automatic put your car in neutral
If you use manual..your lucky ..just downshif or use engine braking system

This is for those that know how to drive sticks

Oh I forget it is only men that drive manual while sussies drive auto ..my 7 year old can drive auto
Can d neutral stop d car? We are talking about braking wen brake system fails.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Adex001(m): 9:56am On Jan 25, 2016
If you driving in Lagos and your brake fails, just call 112.. Lastma would come to your rescue in less than 10 minutes.. grin
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by pek(m): 9:57am On Jan 25, 2016
Very experienced driver will react in the way he knows best. Remember, it is a one second decision/action. For auto, change to the lowest gear, off the ignition only so that your power steering will still be on. Put on your hazard light. Depending on the lane you are and traffic, use your common sense to know whether to pull to left or right.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 25, 2016
Trust me on point 7. No one will give way even with your horning & hazard lights. grin
Really, quite a number of people are mad in this country.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by gary400(m): 10:04am On Jan 25, 2016
I drive Toyota, it's manual(bank model)...wen i experienced brake failure.....i used my clutch to control it....as e no stop...I off d ignition and applied hand brake...weda na my technique worked or Na God....i no know

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by CLEVABOY(m): 10:10am On Jan 25, 2016
guruvick:
V
V for vulture!

1 Like

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by 3ice: 10:11am On Jan 25, 2016
If your brakes fail, best option is switch off your engine.
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by demarc001: 10:32am On Jan 25, 2016
Leeeekeeee:

When u know sh1t, u shut nd learn..

I ve driven from Festac to Ajah nd on my way back to festac the car failed brake...

@topic:
All these ur long grammar nah for person wey they drive for lonely straight expressway...
You are a complete dunce, did u not read where I stated that the brakes was disengage in the first place? Over sabi dey shock your brain.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ariesbull: 10:33am On Jan 25, 2016
Emekasmart:

Can d neutral stop d car? We are talking about braking wen brake system fails.

In auto neutral won't stop the car but will make the car not to engage in any gear so making the mobilikity slow down ...you just can't shift to p immediately or you get your gear box messed up from neutral you leg it slide to some time depending on your speed before you shift to P
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by ariesbull: 10:34am On Jan 25, 2016
3ice:
If your brakes fail, best option is switch off your engine.

Depending on the road and the type of car also
Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by uvalued(m): 10:39am On Jan 25, 2016
AutosBay:
10 Steps to Safety

1. Downshift immediately

7. Alert others

9. Stay calm

Re: What To Do If Your Brakes Fail by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 25, 2016
Speaking from experience. 2007.

Was driving my mum & sisters back from market when the brake fail. I no even tell them anything. Just removed my leg from acceleration gradually put the gear back to 1 and kept on using the handbrake. When we reach home na him I tell them see shout, my pman just commend me saying thats thoughtful of me.

In case you experience it, dont bother to tell any female in the car cause na them go put fear into your mind with their shout.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell / Why Buhari, Govs, NASS Members Patronize Mercedes-Benz Cars / Can A Peugeot 307 Work As An Uber Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.