Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,487 members, 7,816,153 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? (9754 Views)

4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid / Signs To Note When Your Brakes Need Servicing / 12 Ways To Stop A Car With Faulty Brakes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by milestonejnr(m): 11:42pm On Jun 25, 2016
Stumbled upon this and found it worth sharing.

Car brake failure is a terrible thing to experience. I wish you do not experience such, but it will be a good thing to read this in order to know what to do in case of eventuality.

Before we go on, it’s good we know some basic things about the so called car braking system.

Braking system is one of the most essential system in a car. The system is capable of bring you to stall from breath-taking speeds. In simple terms, brakes are devices by means of artificial frictional resistance retard or stop the motion of a machine. The brakes enable the driver to slow down the vehicle in motion or to bring it to stop. Problem arises when you can’t achieve this again because of the brake malfunction.

You are speeding on a freeway and you notice that your car brakes are not functional again. Here are what you can do in such a situation.

Be very much aware that there will be hell of adrenaline rush in you body because of the situation at hand. But you should try as much as you can not to panic; you just have to calm down.

Firstly lift you foot off the accelerator (gas pedal, throttle).
Push the gear lever of the vehicle to N (Neutral). This applies for both manual and automatic transmission.
Keep on hand firmly on the the steering wheel and then the other hand on the hand brake.
Keep the hand brake button depressed and then gradually lift the hand brake (Do not lock the hand brake). Doing this will slow down the vehicle, and the slower the vehicle goes, the more you lift the hand brake. As  you are doing this, steer clear off the road onto the shoulder of the road.
You may also like to read: 6 Things Every Car Owner Should Always Bear in Mind

If your vehicle has a foot brake, you are going to have to lift your feet of the accelerator when you notice the brakes are no longer working.

Push the gear to neutral to disengage the gears and then steer to the shoulder of the road.

When vehicle slows down, press the foot brake in. This is going to bring the car to a hard stop.

When all these things are going on, ensure that you are on seat belt alongside your passengers because the hard stop will definitely cause all in the car to lean forward because of weight transfer.

Non functional brakes are caused by low brake fluids or faulty master master cylinder that controls the vehicle’s braking system.

I hope this helps. You can do well to use the comment box in case you have anything to contribute.

http://nolongtalk.com/car-brakes-fail/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by uboma(m): 3:40am On Jun 26, 2016
Do brakes just fail like that?

Only irresponsible car owners will ignore the several warnings of a pending brake failure.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by korel9: 6:55am On Jun 27, 2016
Jump outside the car into the nearest lagoon. undecided

See question! angry

Hope my use of the comment box is satisfying enough grin
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by telim: 6:57am On Jun 27, 2016
Go to the back sit and say your last prayer or if you are a fan of jetli movies kick the door with your leg to force it to open then hold the door to forcefully bring the car to a stop.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Phranex(m): 6:57am On Jun 27, 2016
frontr page already?
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by iykebest1(m): 6:58am On Jun 27, 2016
Pray and ask for forgiveness
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Phranex(m): 7:00am On Jun 27, 2016
[quote author=tamtho89 post=46965711][/quote]
you think say Nigerians never know una cheap scam
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by ENIGMA24(m): 7:00am On Jun 27, 2016
Simple...
Just start shouting BLOOD OF JESUS!!!!!

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 27, 2016
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by solstims(m): 7:01am On Jun 27, 2016
An educative piece.
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by photoshoot(m): 7:01am On Jun 27, 2016
Jump out of the window undecided

You no dey watch film?

2 Likes

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by prinsam30: 7:01am On Jun 27, 2016
this is really helpful, thanks OP

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Flexherbal(m): 7:02am On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks.
Very useful information!
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 27, 2016
milestonejnr:
Stumbled upon this and found it worth sharing.

Car brake failure is a terrible thing to experience. I wish you do not experience such, but it will be a good thing to read this in order to know what to do in case of eventuality.

Before we go on, it’s good we know some basic things about the so called car braking system.

Braking system is one of the most essential system in a car. The system is capable of bring you to stall from breath-taking speeds. In simple terms, brakes are devices by means of artificial frictional resistance retard or stop the motion of a machine. The brakes enable the driver to slow down the vehicle in motion or to bring it to stop. Problem arises when you can’t achieve this again because of the brake malfunction.

You are speeding on a freeway and you notice that your car brakes are not functional again. Here are what you can do in such a situation.

Be very much aware that there will be hell of adrenaline rush in you body because of the situation at hand. But you should try as much as you can not to panic; you just have to calm down.

Firstly lift you foot off the accelerator (gas pedal, throttle).
Push the gear lever of the vehicle to N (Neutral). This applies for both manual and automatic transmission.
Keep on hand firmly on the the steering wheel and then the other hand on the hand brake.
Keep the hand brake button depressed and then gradually lift the hand brake (Do not lock the hand brake). Doing this will slow down the vehicle, and the slower the vehicle goes, the more you lift the hand brake. As  you are doing this, steer clear off the road onto the shoulder of the road.
You may also like to read: 6 Things Every Car Owner Should Always Bear in Mind

If your vehicle has a foot brake, you are going to have to lift your feet of the accelerator when you notice the brakes are no longer working.

Push the gear to neutral to disengage the gears and then steer to the shoulder of the road.

When vehicle slows down, press the foot brake in. This is going to bring the car to a hard stop.

When all these things are going on, ensure that you are on seat belt alongside your passengers because the hard stop will definitely cause all in the car to lean forward because of weight transfer.

Non functional brakes are caused by low brake fluids or faulty master master cylinder that controls the vehicle’s braking system.

I hope this helps. You can do well to use the comment box in case you have anything to contribute.

More importantly, steer clear of an on coming vehicles.

5 Likes

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by BIGTinfotech: 7:03am On Jun 27, 2016
Calm down and don't act by impulse

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by amdoyin82(m): 7:04am On Jun 27, 2016
Well, I have learnt somtin SAA.. Nice thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by harizonal123(m): 7:04am On Jun 27, 2016
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by nicflame(m): 7:04am On Jun 27, 2016
And you don't think most Nigerian cars don't have handbrake? undecided
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by chrischina(m): 7:05am On Jun 27, 2016
Just start crying because is your last day if you don't jump
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by SmithHumble50: 7:09am On Jun 27, 2016
Use the handbrake na..
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by gozmok1(m): 7:12am On Jun 27, 2016
till your car f- - l the brake

i want to go work
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by idnole4(m): 7:13am On Jun 27, 2016
Thanks op. What are the signs to notice before a car break fails?

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by 52Naira(m): 7:13am On Jun 27, 2016
Use your emergency brakes.....or hand brake as some people call it and then steer the car to safety...
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by younglas: 7:14am On Jun 27, 2016
heheheeeeeeiiiii it's gonna be funny grin
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by PreacherxSon(m): 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
this is one of the things all these our stuvvid Road Safety Chickens should teach passerby drivers, and not busy checking the exppiry dates of there papa

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 27, 2016
angry
This is the umpteenth time I am see this car brake failure topic on front page.
Enough already
Must this forum flog a topic to death?
Get creative already!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by tellwisdom: 7:24am On Jun 27, 2016
Just jump out of the car and hold it. sad
Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by javispj(m): 7:38am On Jun 27, 2016
use ur legs fool..u no watch Flintstones that yr

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by Dandeson1(m): 7:47am On Jun 27, 2016
Say your last prayersgrin dats wot you do

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by eluquenson(m): 7:52am On Jun 27, 2016
uboma:
Do brakes just fail like that?

Only irresponsible car owners will ignore the several warnings of a pending brake failure.
Do you drive a car at all?
A vehicle mechanism can go faulty any time, it doesn't matter if it gives a warning sound or not

1 Like

Re: What Should I Do When My Car Brakes Fail? by saintjoseph(m): 7:55am On Jun 27, 2016
very educative, thanks a lot

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Or Tokunboh Car Parts: Which Do You Prefer? / Toyota 4runner 2007(1GR-FE) Fix / Educated Or Uneducated Mechanic? Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.