Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? (28545 Views)

Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / Describe Your Salary With A Movie Title!!! / The Hard Truth About Your Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 15, 2016
asalimpo:
You can't create "wealth" as you define without some serious capital . Dangote was given N500k back in 1978 to begin cement importation business.
He said , as at then, the money could buy 100 mercedes benz cars.
So by todays value,that couldve been worth 500m-1b+.
He had also received mentorship from his relatives (who funded him). His family was already rich, so he didnt need to learn by trial n error.

Bill gate was from a rich family, mum was a board member on ibm, his primary school fees was higher than harvard tuition fees!
Attending a rich, elite school he encountered a computer machine , learnt how to program on it.
Microsoft's big break came when ibm decided to enter the p.c market and needed an o.s (operating system) for their line of machines. Gates supplied th os , made his money, and with that funding grew microsoft.
It is believed that his mum influenced the ibm deal.
Without serious funding, your vision will die on you. Vision , smarts aint enuff.
True Talk. Without serious funding, your vision will die on you.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
Yes.....only by applying the lessons in "The Richest Man In Babylon"
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 15, 2016
Freelanswer:

A lot of gr8 info you've given us here. Thank you. I will only differ with you on the sentence I've re-quoted. If you were right in that, then there would never have been a case of a wealthy person from a poor background such as Moshood Abiola; Stev Jobs; Roman Abramovich, John Paul DeJoria and many more. So, please, don't discourage those of us from a humble background.
Steve Jobs wouldn't have made it if there was no one to invest in the Apple 1... It would just have died out. Serious funding was involved from the part of the investor.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Engineermbugame(m): 9:49pm On Feb 15, 2016
nogasimplicity:
yes its possible but i think is vice versa because you can still play 100 everyday in a year and still not win 1 kobo thereby losing 365000 in a year if only you stick with #100 per day cause man u might cut one coupon by 1. 45pm and barca or arsenal will be playing by 8pm there is every tendency that you will play again. so bet 9ja is out of this unless you play man u not to win Europa with #100,000 lol (OYO)
wetin u de talk self betting? my senior bros wo started it from jambite to gradaute level wetin he don show ?always beging me money,i hate people talking abut betting .

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by egee(m): 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
Not a chance
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 15, 2016
I have known what's freedom I'm enjoying been one today thereby working my way to the top where I would the richest man. Salary,salary......hmmmmmm,richness is far from that.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by sinistermind(m): 9:52pm On Feb 15, 2016
Of course your salary can make you rich especially when working with multi-national companies at management level. The truth is that when earning salary as a family man, what takes most of the money is family up-keep, rent and school-fees. Most of these multi-national provide allowances for most of these things and maybe you might be left with up-keep and probably save more. So I think one can be rich all depending on the pay.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Infamous(m): 10:07pm On Feb 15, 2016
akdegreat

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Feb 15, 2016
Freelanswer:
I was jolted out of my years of day dreams the other day discussing with friends. They were talking enviously about someone who landed a job where he receives N500,000 monthly. Huge, isn't it? But, as soon as I heard them, a question occurred to me and I asked: "In a year, how much will that person receive?" Six million naira! "How poor it is when you compare it with most average entrepreneurs who earn several millions in bulk severally over the course of a year!" I said. I continued: "This is really an eye opener. Even if that person receives 1,000,000NGN/month, that's only 12,000,000 in a year and it's not in bulk, and yet everyone in the family and in town expects so much from him... when a 24-year-old undergraduate made 91,000,000 NGN through MLM in 2015 alone ... I mean in bulk without being bullied around in office politics and all that". My thought process still continued after I left that discussion and so I decided to share it here.

Can earning a salary really make you rich and happy? The example given above is of people receiving some of the most 'handsome' pay packs in town and how many are they even? On the Zero Sickness Nigeria Campaign website, you will find a page entitled "poverty too is a sickness" which shows how easily even uneducated people earn 10,000,000 NGN in bulk in just a year doing almost nothing except that they invested.

From the above you'd think I do not approve of salaried jobs. I even believe you can be rich and very rich with your salary only if you invest it intelligently. The best investment is not always the one that takes you most money. It is the one with the highest ROI. To get this, do a great deal of background checks but just enough to not let analysis paralysis stop you. For example, the example of uneducated people said to be earning 10,000,000 NGN in bulk in just a year talks of an investment of Thirty-six thousand naira (N36,000) only when someone elsewhere is putting in Twenty-two million naira (22,000,000 NGN) in a property he would sell for 30,000,000 in three years.

My point is this: you can become rich with your salary only by investing it well - not by saving it away. And the best investment is not always the flashiest. Oprah Winfrey made her money by investing in "controversial self help ideas" according to Wikipedia.
you have not made any point if you cannot mention the " investment ". And what if this same guy climbs to that point of becoming the CEO of the company, would you say his job can't make him wealthy? . Success is not how fat your return on investment is. That's what majority fail to understand. Different people with different passion. Being an entrepreneur isn't just about making money or becoming wealthy.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by MrTolu(m): 10:20pm On Feb 15, 2016
Depends on the work place. Steve Ballmer became a US$billionaire working for Microsoft.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Leke001: 10:25pm On Feb 15, 2016
there is God o!
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by LaurelP(m): 10:51pm On Feb 15, 2016
gidjah:
Sorry i bursted n late o!,in the place where i once worked, my pay was 29k,was able to save and buy a nice piece of land in fct,buy my first car and ...pls i teach,for ur info in a private firm o,but my other mates abi na staff who seemed to have been in d same office for yrs couldnt do than owning nice laptops!,pls ur dilligent and prudently managed pay can improve you lot and keep you on thee steady path of progress o

29k?
Pls what year was dis?

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by iykedare(m): 10:53pm On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:
it depends, a former CEO at one of the places I worked was netting over $7,000,000 per year, and at the current exchange rate, that is circa -N-1.4billion per annum.

Cc tequilah

$7000000 per year
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by wayodude(m): 11:20pm On Feb 15, 2016
Until the OP defines his idea of the meaning of wealth, it would be impossible to get a generally acceptable response to this question.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines wealth as
'abundance of valuable material possessions or resources'

In my opinion, being a 'salaried-individual' you cannot possibly ever become wealthy. Yes investing part of your salary will get you more security and closer to the goal of financial independence however, crossing the threshold required to reach a state of abundance in the context intended in the English Dictionary will almost certainly not be met.

My salary in Naira is just under N3m p/m and I am still poor. Lol

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by mimibright(m): 11:29pm On Feb 15, 2016
SSpeter:
Bros your salary can make you "over wealthy".....i have seen entrepreneurs that make 28m(as in gross) a year and I have also seen some one pay slip of 41m a year....since that day..are they both not wealthy?....if you hear some people salary.....you go get convulsion......the good thing about being a boss is having time for urself and ur family. most business men were once employees....unless those wey govt help...
have u seen an entrepreneur who makes 800 million naira a year? I have seen!! My former boss makes 600m a year and he is the director and CEO of his company in pH!! 46m wan give convulsion, bros u never see anything yet.

2 Likes

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by CONTROLi(m): 11:38pm On Feb 15, 2016
HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE ''UNEDUCATED PEOPLE''?? NOBODY IS TAUGHT OF HOW TO MAKE MONEY IN THE CLASSROOM, MAKING MONEY IS ANOTHER ''INTELLIGENCE'' AND ''PRINCIPLES'' ALTOGETHER... IF YOU KNOW IT YOU KNOW IT, IF NOT YOU WOULD END UP MANAGING OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY WHILE THEY PAY YOU PEANUT....

Freelanswer:
I was jolted out of my years of day dreams the other day discussing with friends. They were talking enviously about someone who landed a job where he receives N500,000 monthly. Huge, isn't it? But, as soon as I heard them, a question occurred to me and I asked: "In a year, how much will that person receive?" Six million naira! "How poor it is when you compare it with most average entrepreneurs who earn several millions in bulk severally over the course of a year!" I said. I continued: "This is really an eye opener. Even if that person receives 1,000,000NGN/month, that's only 12,000,000 in a year and it's not in bulk, and yet everyone in the family and in town expects so much from him... when a 24-year-old undergraduate made 91,000,000 NGN through MLM in 2015 alone ... I mean in bulk without being bullied around in office politics and all that". My thought process still continued after I left that discussion and so I decided to share it here.

Can earning a salary really make you rich and happy? The example given above is of people receiving some of the most 'handsome' pay packs in town and how many are they even? On the Zero Sickness Nigeria Campaign website, you will find a page entitled "poverty too is a sickness" which shows how easily even uneducated people earn 10,000,000 NGN in bulk in just a year doing almost nothing except that they invested.

From the above you'd think I do not approve of salaried jobs. I even believe you can be rich and very rich with your salary only if you invest it intelligently. The best investment is not always the one that takes you most money. It is the one with the highest ROI. To get this, do a great deal of background checks but just enough to not let analysis paralysis stop you. For example, the example of uneducated people said to be earning 10,000,000 NGN in bulk in just a year talks of an investment of Thirty-six thousand naira (N36,000) only when someone elsewhere is putting in Twenty-two million naira (22,000,000 NGN) in a property he would sell for 30,000,000 in three years.

My point is this: you can become rich with your salary only by investing it well - not by saving it away. And the best investment is not always the flashiest. Oprah Winfrey made her money by investing in "controversial self help ideas" according to Wikipedia.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by mimibright(m): 11:42pm On Feb 15, 2016
gypsey:
my boss salary is £ 1m a year that's like £100000 a month, me thinks he is wealthy. don't ya all think he is?
few years after he stops working or is dead ask this question again. You might not need answers from anyone!
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by shrimati(m): 11:47pm On Feb 15, 2016
it depends on some factors. Your salary can make you rich or make you broke it depends on what you do with it. It might amaze you that even saving of money in Nigeria could make you cry in future. Money are best tied down in other forms other than money. If you save 10M. today hoping to make you use it in future, you might find out if discounted into present value it will worth less taking time factor of money into consideration. If you tie down your wealth in real estate or other 'illiquid' assets you might be really saying you will live off your little penny you save .. if not....
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by spirit88: 11:54pm On Feb 15, 2016
Freelanswer:

A lot of gr8 info you've given us here. Thank you. I will only differ with you on the sentence I've re-quoted. If you were right in that, then there would never have been a case of a wealthy person from a poor background such as Moshood Abiola; Stev Jobs; Roman Abramovich, John Paul DeJoria and many more. So, please, don't discourage those of us from a humble background.

Thanks so much. I will also differ abit from ur opinion. These guys at one point in their time had some illicit deal whether by law or morally that boosted their base in business. Abiola got his monies through the back door ie shaddy government contracts, inflation of contracts. I even learnt he added some zeros to inflate figures on paper. Anyway every rich/ wealth man today will never tell u the real success story. How they robbed others to make it. I believe in hard work but I'm sure it wasn't hard work that brings riches. Something was done that can't be said openly.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Tequilah: 1:09am On Feb 16, 2016
iykedare:
Cc tequilah

$7000000 per year

In which country and in which industry??
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by NaLaugh: 1:10am On Feb 16, 2016
Rich, yes. Wealthy, NO.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Immorttal: 4:10am On Feb 16, 2016
asalimpo:
correction: 91m
oprah, in some circles, is cited as an illuminati front. If so, then her wealth isnt a fair example.
Think of it hard though, a billion dollars aint no piece of cake, she came outta the blue and suddenly rose to that hieght.
you said 91m a year is a fluke. Am currently on an entrepreneurial journey that would litter 200m monthly in five years time, calculate it in a year and tell me.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Amberon: 4:15am On Feb 16, 2016
No she didn't come out the blue. And spare me the Illuminati crap. She worked for her money just the same way most other people do.
asalimpo:
correction: 91m
oprah, in some circles, is cited as an illuminati front. If so, then her wealth isnt a fair example.
Think of it hard though, a billion dollars aint no piece of cake, she came outta the blue and suddenly rose to that hieght.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 5:30am On Feb 16, 2016
The problem is impatience. The CEOs of ExxonMobil, Apple, Google etc are all salary earners who are extremely wealthy.

Kachikwu disclosed he loses a million dollars a year working for Nigeria. How much more wealthy do you want tonne?
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 5:39am On Feb 16, 2016
asalimpo:
Hell yes.
If you have income exceeding your expenses you are rich. That's all that matters.
While N500k may be peanuts to you, for som ppl earning N15k, that's a lotta money.
Some ppl earn N50k and support a family on that , including paying rent. Drivers in some places earn N20-30k. How dyu expect such to react to a N500k salary!
Sombody can live on N1m and save N5m. Do that for 10yrs and you've got N50m. Do that for 30 and you've got N150m.
With the first 50m, he can build a house or two or three. With that alone he's set.
Can you get rich on N500k? It depends on you.
As for the N190m example you cited, they're fluke cases. Outliers.
Not typical.

Easier said than done!! I repeat, easier said than done!!!
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 16, 2016
spirit88:

Thanks so much. I will also differ abit from ur opinion. These guys at one point in their time had some illicit deal whether by law or morally that boosted their base in business. Abiola got his monies through the back door ie shaddy government contracts, inflation of contracts. I even learnt he added some zeros to inflate figures on paper. Anyway every rich/ wealth man today will never tell u the real success story. How they robbed others to make it. I believe in hard work but I'm sure it wasn't hard work that brings riches. Something was done that can't be said openly.

I agree with you totally. A friend days ago made this remark and i have been forcing myself to think over it deeply and intensely. He said, "to make money that can take you beyond your common needs, you've to be morally abnormal". Every wealthy person you see today has compromised morality or law in one time or the other.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by jojothaiv(m): 6:39am On Feb 16, 2016
LeksideOLM:
I heard this from a very rich man...

He said" your salary can never make you rich, it can only sustain you.is only what you invest with your salary that will be be left for you"...

You cannot be earning 500k per month nd be living a 50k salary earner lifestyle...
Or will a 500k earner will still be sitting on the street canteen to eat? Or neglect the latest designer in town? Never....

The more you earn or have, the more you spend...

#Myopinion#
The more you
Guy you make sense o...
I remember my GTB life back then...
Na only 40k, I dey collect sef but o boi, my spending no be here o...
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by lordizak(m): 7:00am On Feb 16, 2016
asalimpo:
Hell yes.
If you have income exceeding your expenses you are rich. That's all that matters.
While N500k may be peanuts to you, for som ppl earning N15k, that's a lotta money.
Some ppl earn N50k and support a family on that , including paying rent. Drivers in some places earn N20-30k. How dyu expect such to react to a N500k salary!
Sombody can live on N1m and save N5m. Do that for 10yrs and you've got N50m. Do that for 30 and you've got N150m.
With the first 50m, he can build a house or two or three. With that alone he's set.
Can you get rich on N500k? It depends on you.
As for the N190m example you cited, they're fluke cases. Outliers.
Not typical.
You just said trash, OP is correct for anyone being satisfied with just N500k that person can't make more as further expenditure; like big time projects will run him down. U might wanna look at the word complacent.

1 Like

Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Franky9584(m): 7:56am On Feb 16, 2016
nogasimplicity:
yes its possible but i think is vice versa because you can still play 100 everyday in a year and still not win 1 kobo thereby losing 365000 in a year if only you stick with #100 per day cause man u might cut one coupon by 1. 45pm and barca or arsenal will be playing by 8pm there is every tendency that you will play again. so bet 9ja is out of this unless you play man u not to win Europa with #100,000 lol (OYO)
hahaha, must u call man u?
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 7:57am On Feb 16, 2016
Messi, Ronaldo, Mikel, Ighalo are all salary earners.
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by tomayira(f): 9:19am On Feb 16, 2016
No, it can't make u rich but helping hands can. If u register as a member with N6600, you'll be touching the life of a less privileged and empowering yourself. Check my signature
Re: Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? by GoldEnyong(m): 10:20am On Feb 16, 2016
being comfortable is different from being rich. If you want to be comfortable you work for somebody, if you want to be rich you work for yourself.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss / Shell To Sack 10,000 Workers - Capital Post / Today's Salary Vs Cost Of Living (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.