Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,901 members, 7,835,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? (14050 Views)

He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / Is It Wrong To Marry Your Cousin? / Photos: The Girl Who Got Married To A Portrait Finally Replied Linda Ikeji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by cheavroi(m): 9:15am On Oct 30, 2006
can u get married to your cosin forget about the fact that it is either your 1st cousin or third cousin provided you guys are in love.Im not talking of dating,i mean marriage(esp in an african setting)
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by CrazyMan(m): 11:41am On Oct 30, 2006
What kind of question is this?  sad

why would you even think of marrying your cousin?

so of all the girls in the world, is only your cousin you found attractive enough to marry?

if you try such thing, then you should prepare for a terrible course
co's that's an abomination.

1 Like

Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by naijacutee(f): 9:19pm On Oct 30, 2006
1. the Bible forbids it, which is not surprising because

2.Sex between close family members could create severe genetic mutations. (If they weren't closely linked, one good gene could 'dominate' a bad one). Mutations could manifest in the baby as a severe abnormality. There are equal chances of this occuring in relation to a 'normal' baby being formed.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by venice(f): 7:51am On Nov 15, 2006
In our culture, it is traditional beliefs to get married to your cousins, way back the ancestors used to do that to keep the cattle in the family.

and they also believed that if you marry family, lets say your father's sister's child, that person will take good care of you, cos he's related to you.

Not that i'm saying its the right way to go, but it's culture.

Here in Namibia, some people still do it, but only the Otjiherero Tribe.

You can get married to your cousin, but only if its your fathers sister's child, or your mothers brothers child, its culture, and strong traditional belief.

we have different diversity of culture. In Namibia we have different tribes, cultures and believes, that's why things are done the way they are being done

3 Likes

Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by KDK(m): 5:15pm On Nov 19, 2006
It is no sin to marry your cousin as far as the bible is concerned. Eleazar's daughters each married first cousins, as they were instructed( I Chronicles 23:22). See below

Forbidden Marriages Scripture
Between parents and children -Leviticus 18:7-8
Between stepparents and stepchildren-Leviticus 18:8, 17
With your paternal or maternal aunt-Leviticus 18:12-13
With your uncle or aunt -Leviticus 18:14
Between brother and sister and half-brother and half-sister-Leviticus 18:9
Between stepbrothers and stepsisters-Leviticus 18:11
With your daughter-in-law -Leviticus 18:15
With your sister-in-law -Leviticus 18:16
With your granddaughter -Leviticus 18:10
With your step-granddaughter -Leviticus 18:17

However, it's important to remember that many laws do condemn this type of marriage and Christians are commanded to "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men" (1 Peter 2:13-15, See also Romans 13:1-2).

Again, medically, it is not advisable. But the answer to your question is no, marrying your cousin is no SIN
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by harvey(m): 11:47am On Nov 21, 2006
this act is barbaric.why must u marry Ur cousin u are insane then and need help.this is y2k6.gosh.this world is coming to an end so many nasty things are happening.

1 Like

Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by mukina2: 11:59am On Nov 21, 2006
what kind of crazy question this?
how can anyone marry that cousin?
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Mystique(f): 3:21pm On Nov 21, 2006
The Hausa's do that a lot, undecided undecided
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by ThoniaSlim(f): 4:05pm On Dec 10, 2006
i know it is very common in asia,but don't think its right in nigeria.
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by defman: 1:11pm On Jul 06, 2009
naijacutee:

2.Sex between close family members could create severe genetic mutations. (If they weren't closely linked, one good gene could 'dominate' a bad one). Mutations could manifest in the baby as a severe abnormality. There are equal chances of this occuring in relation to a 'normal' baby being formed.

Naijacutee, where did you see that?
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by didit1(m): 4:50pm On Jul 06, 2009
God forbid bad thing
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Fhemmmy: 5:41pm On Jul 06, 2009
depends on how distant it is.
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by iniguy(m): 6:24pm On Jul 06, 2009
Its an abomination in our culture.
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by didit1(m): 10:25am On Jul 07, 2009
No matter how distant it is, it's still an abomination. Shekinah.
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by mamagee3(f): 5:47pm On Jul 08, 2009
What the heck? shocked
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by gbubs: 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2009
of course i can, if we are very distant, if biblical stories were told exactly the way they happened, then we are all cousins or even brothers and sisters tongue
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by IFELEKE(m): 11:38am On Jul 09, 2009
@Topic
Hell No!
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Ben13: 11:48am On Jul 09, 2009
some cultures accepts that.
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by slimfine(f): 10:30pm On Jul 11, 2009
NO! we are all family! just groose! so my mother inlaw would be my aunty? wierd
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 11, 2009
Nope, blood isn't taken for granted.
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by mamagee3(f): 10:58pm On Jul 11, 2009
gbubs:

of course i can, if we are very distant, if biblical stories were told exactly the way they happened, then we are all cousins or even brothers and sisters  tongue

Are you okay?
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by bluespice(f): 2:28am On Jul 12, 2009
hellllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz naw!
wtf!
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by DrLorenz1(m): 1:16pm On Jul 15, 2009
That's an absurd question. Y would you marry your cousin? Only thing i can say is that the guy should go ahead and marry her and tell us wat happened after, then we can talk about it grin grin

Let me put another twist to the poster's question,

If you had a cousin who's mum is ur mum's step-sister. What does that make her? A step-cousin? If so, can you marry her if you're in love with her?
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Dammyray(m): 1:25pm On Jul 15, 2009
Never, i think its wrong especialy here in nigeria no way
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by biola44: 1:32pm On Jul 15, 2009
hell no!
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by kay9(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2009
It aint advisable to marry your cousin - especially if you are are first-cousins. Almost all Nigerian cultures forbid it, plus you have a good chance of giving birth to an abnormal kid - batty in the belfry - eight pence to the shilling - call it what you will. grin

Dr. Lorenz:

If you had a cousin who's mum is ur mum's step-sister. What does that make her? A step-cousin?
Yep, that'd make her your "step-cousin". And if the cousin's grand-mum was your mum's mum's step-sister, then she'd be your "step-second-cousin". . . . or maybe it's "second-step-cousin". Teeheehee. grin grin
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by aboveonly(m): 2:02pm On Jul 16, 2009
The word for such a scenerio is called INCEST-an abomination.Whoever is involved should stop.
God forbids!

http://choiceofmarriagepartner..com
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 16, 2009
Chimo cry
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Shaz(f): 7:40pm On Jul 16, 2009
Why? How can, when I am not myopic?
There are plentyful fishes in the ocean. . . .lol

Abomination grin
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by Theblessed(f): 3:14pm On Jul 17, 2009
Is it how your mind operate?  Hmmm!  Your thought process is extremely devilish - too deviant for our culture and most cultures of this world.  Who knows what else you'd come up with next time? 

Whatever led you to ask this question, are you sure you are not meddling with your cousin and come up here to find out whether we would approve? Naaaaa!!!!!!!

Don't bring it here, please!!! We are no Indians or Pakistanis, ok!  We are Africans with morals and we can tell good from bad, ok!
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by biola44: 3:18pm On Jul 17, 2009
wink
Re: Can You Get Married To Your Cousin? by polynesian(f): 11:19am On Apr 17, 2010
CrazyMan:

What kind of question is this? sad

why would you even think of marrying your cousin?

so of all the girls in the world, is only your cousin you found attractive enough to marry?

if you try such thing, then you should prepare for a terrible course
co's that's an abomination.

exactly, absolutely agree with yu.

Theblessed:

Is it how your mind operate? Hmmm! Your thought process is extremely devilish - too deviant for our culture and most cultures of this world. Who knows what else you'd come up with next time?

Whatever led you to ask this question, are you sure you are not meddling with your cousin and come up here to find out whether we would approve? Naaaaa!!!!!!!

Don't bring it here, please!!! We are no Indians or Pakistanis, ok! We are Africans with morals and we can tell good from bad, ok!

AMEN !!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Snake In The Stomach / Does Being Married Hinder Some Dreams? / Am I Extravagant With N80K And Above Monthly Spending?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.