Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. (2898 Views)

Normal RPM For EOD When Idle / My Car Has A High Idle Rpm / High RPM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Digriz(m): 9:51am On Jan 27, 2016
This morning while driving, my car seized or sputtered, and afterward the car was hitting 4000 rpm's when i was only going 60km. It would go higher if I tried to accelerate past that.When i remove foot frm pedal the rpm will still remain on the point until i floor the pedal then it will come down to around 2300rpm. i think this is a problem but am not sure where the problem comes from.
Could it be trottle issue,mass air flow sensor or low fluid? The fluid was normal yesterday b4 i engage on the journey ths morning.
My transmission is okay without any code frm the scan though my scan tool doesn't link to my engine, thus i couldn't scan the engine bt can read codes frm the transmission. i dont know why it can't see my engine.(vw golf mk3 auto 1996)
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by mayor2013: 10:10am On Jan 27, 2016
[b][/b]
Digriz:
This morning while driving, my car seized or sputtered, and afterward the car was hitting 4000 rpm's when i was only going 60km. It would go higher if I tried to accelerate past that.When i remove foot frm pedal the rpm will still remain on the point until i floor the pedal then it will come down to around 2300rpm. i think this is a problem but am not sure where the problem comes from.
Could it be trottle issue,mass air flow sensor or low fluid? The fluid was normal yesterday b4 i engage on the journey ths morning.
My transmission is okay without any code frm the scan though my scan tool doesn't link to my engine, thus i couldn't scan the engine bt can read codes frm the transmission. i dont know why it can't see my engine.(vw golf mk3 auto 1996)

Sounds like a gearbox issue. If your MIL is illuminated. Run a scan if you are in lagos come for diagnosis. Bb pin is 7BE1C522
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Digriz(m): 10:18am On Jan 27, 2016
mayor2013:
[b][/b]

Sounds like a gearbox issue. If your MIL is illuminated. Run a scan if you are in lagos come for diagnosis. Bb pin is 7BE1C522
Am not in Lagos,as regards the gearbox,it has been working flawlessly without any problem in gear selection even yesterday b4 i travelled this morning.
I don't want this shade tree mechanics to mishandle it with their try and error method,i need assistant frm experience folks here b4 taking it to the mechanic.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by mayor2013: 10:26am On Jan 27, 2016
Digriz:
Am not in Lagos,as regards the gearbox,it has been working flawlessly without any problem in gear selection even yesterday b4 i travelled this morning.
I don't want this shade tree mechanics to mishandle it with their try and error method,i need assistant frm experience folks here b4 taking it to the mechanic.

A scan should pick that up. What kind of scan tool was used
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Digriz(m): 10:27am On Jan 27, 2016
mayor2013:

A scan should pick that up. What kind of scan tool was used
AUTEL vag 450,someone said that my ECU might be OBD1 and not OBD2,do u think so. My car is obd2 and has obd2 port,scanner then link only to the TCU bt link error to ECU.

Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by mayor2013: 10:49am On Jan 27, 2016
Digriz:
AUTEL vag 450,someone said that my ECU might be OBD1 and not OBD2,do u think so. My car is obd2 and has obd2 port,scanner then link only to the TCU bt link error to ECU.

Your car is OBD 2 compliant. You might want to try scanning your ecu with a high end scan tool
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Digriz(m): 10:51am On Jan 27, 2016
mayor2013:

Your car is OBD 2 compliant. You might want to try scanning your ecu with a high end scan tool
Thanks Mayor.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by lonelydora: 5:57am On Jan 28, 2016
Do you hear any grinding noise from your wheels? After scanning the car, also check your wheel Hub/bearing and shaft. Your brake could also be binding. Also check your caliper and brake disc.

When the bearing is very bad, it restricts the movement of the car, thereby making you to get the high RPM and slow movement. Usually happens when you have travelled some distance as the wheel heats up.

My 1 cent.

3 Likes

Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by cocoduck: 8:19am On Jan 28, 2016
Chek fuses first before scan, it is real easi and take it to a technician not a mechanic
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by earthrealm(m): 2:18pm On Jan 28, 2016
looks like a gearbox issue to me...chk the fluid...what color?...smell ?
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by 0gbeni(m): 8:21am On Jan 29, 2016
Sorry bro, same thing happens to my golf mk3 sometimes..Ive taken it to various mechanics but they can't find a solution.. if you solve yours,do let me know smiley
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by earthrealm(m): 12:10pm On Jan 29, 2016
lonelydora:
Do you hear any grinding noise from your wheels? After scanning the car, also check your wheel Hub/bearing and shaft. Your brake could also be binding. Also check your caliper and brake disc.

When the bearing is very bad, it restricts the movement of the car, thereby making you to get the high RPM and slow movement. Usually happens when you have travelled some distance as the wheel heats up.

My 1 cent.

IF AFTER CONFIRMING THAT THE ABOVE ISNT THE CAUSE, then its definetly gear fluid, what most of us dont know is that the gear fluid has a lifespan...30k miles to 100k miles depending on driving styles/condition....
i would advise you change the fluid, do your research well n ensure yuou buy the corrct type specified by the car manufacturer for your car...dont listen to ur mechanic/kazeem who will say buy oando/abro/seahorse etc........
ur car may be using dexron ii/dexron iv etc...confirm the make n then buy iut....replace or wash the transmission filter whil;e u r at it

1 Like

Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by lonelydora: 12:43pm On Jan 29, 2016
earthrealm:

IF AFTER CONFIRMING THAT THE ABOVE ISNT THE CAUSE, then its definetly gear fluid, what most of us dont know is that the gear fluid has a lifespan...30k miles to 100k miles depending on driving styles/condition....
i would advise you change the fluid, do your research well n ensure yuou buy the corrct type specified by the car manufacturer for your car...dont listen to ur mechanic/kazeem who will say buy oando/abro/seahorse etc........
ur car may be using dexron ii/dexron iv etc...confirm the make n then buy iut....replace or wash the transmission filter whil;e u r at it

Yes. After checking the above is not the cause, then its probably the tranny fluid.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by aladconsults(m): 1:30pm On Jan 29, 2016
What brand,year of car do u drive!All the same,check your throttle cable n check if not taut,if it is,try and loosen it by releasing/adjusting the two nuts.Also,check any vacuum hose that connects to the throttle body/injector mouth/engine,it might have a leak somewhere or loose.Lastly,u can check ur injector mouth for a screw and turn anti-clockwise if it goes high on idle as well as you cleaning your ICV(idle control valve) with carburettor cleaner.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Digriz(m): 1:39pm On Jan 31, 2016
aladconsults:
What brand,year of car do u drive!All the same,check your throttle cable n check if not taut,if it is,try and loosen it by releasing/adjusting the two nuts.Also,check any vacuum hose that connects to the throttle body/injector mouth/engine,it might have a leak somewhere or loose.Lastly,u can check ur injector mouth for a screw and turn anti-clockwise if it goes high on idle as well as you cleaning your ICV(idle control valve) with carburettor cleaner.
This step finally solved my problem, I told my kazeem what to do and he discovered that the vacuum hose to the throttle body is leaking. He also clean the ICV which is clogged wt greasy dust particles.I even enjoys the response of the car better nw than d last 2yrs.
Thanks a lot Aladconsults and others that contributed.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by 0gbeni(m): 6:50am On Feb 03, 2016
Happy for you op, told my kazeems to look for the icv and vacuum hose that connects to the throttle body, it was as if i was speaking Chinese..is there any local terminology or how did you explain to them?

2 Likes

Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by 0gbeni(m): 12:26pm On Feb 06, 2016
bro, @digriz.. can we talk? pls respond to my pm.. thanks
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
Your transmission is slipping. Your transmission forward clutch bands are burnt / worn. Check your ATF, see what colour it is, and what it smells like.

You need a replacement.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by 0gbeni(m): 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2016
Siena:
Your transmission is slipping. Your transmission forward clutch bands are burnt / worn. Check your ATF, see what colour it is, and what it smells like.

You need a replacement.
thanks chief, appreciate the gesture .. checked it.. its red and does not have a burnt smell, i changed the ATF 3 months ago though
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by 0gbeni(m): 5:44pm On Feb 06, 2016
0gbeni:

thanks chief, appreciate the gesture .. checked it.. its red and does not have a burnt smell, i changed the ATF 3 months ago though..
i will start making preps towards changing the gear/car
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by liang: 7:42am On Mar 15, 2016
East Precision Machinery Manufacturing is a professional manufacturer and supplier of Conveyor Rollers, Chain wheel,Gear wheels and Belt Pulley in China since 2007.We produce such as Locking assembly,Couplings,Gear Rack,Belt Pulley etc.
http://www.eptransm.com
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by MedicH: 6:39pm On Apr 05, 2022
lonelydora:

My 1 cent.

Sounds like what I'm facing as I get slow movement with high rpm that I can almost hear the engine sound.

I can hear some grinding noise on my wheels when speeding. Then if I throttle hard it hesitates before picking up as expected then it can do upto 100km/hr and more but once I stop to a checkpoint that is to zero km/hr speeding up again seems to be with much labour until after a while it assumes expected speed.

When I'm speeding I hear some sound like shirishirishirishirishrir like where you pour small small metals into a steel container and be shaking it vigorously.

I have p0330 on scan

When I complained to my mech, he said I change all coils plus fuel pump which I did. Then the problem continued. He said I should change tranny oil I didn't let him do that because the level is ok and I have no tranny issue. Then I went to change knuckle and they saw my calipers binding and they fixed it then I checked catalysts for back pressure and saw that bank 1 is clogged, I hollowed it out to relieve back pressure. After all these things I still get the feeling that my car is not efficient like it used to be it just feels slow.

1 Like

Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by lonelydora: 9:47pm On Apr 05, 2022
MedicH:

Sounds like what I'm facing as I get slow movement with high rpm that I can almost hear the engine sound.

I can hear some grinding noise on my wheels when speeding. Then if I throttle hard it hesitates before picking up as expected then it can do upto 100km/hr and more but once I stop to a checkpoint that is to zero km/hr speeding up again seems to be with much labour until after a while it assumes expected speed.

When I'm speeding I hear some sound like shirishirishirishirishrir like where you pour small small metals into a steel container and be shaking it vigorously.

I have p0330 on scan

When I complained to my mech, he said I change all coils plus fuel pump which I did. Then the problem continued. He said I should change tranny oil I didn't let him do that because the level is ok and I have no tranny issue. Then I went to change knuckle and they saw my calipers binding and they fixed it then I checked catalysts for back pressure and saw that bank 1 is clogged, I hollowed it out to relieve back pressure. After all these things I still get the feeling that my car is not efficient like it used to be it just feels slow.

Your wheel bearing is gone, hence the noise. Buy original wheel hub or for temporary measure, buy only bearing and change.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by MedicH: 9:49pm On Apr 05, 2022
ok i will see to it

lonelydora:

Your wheel bearing is gone, hence the noise. Buy original wheel hub or for temporary measure, buy only bearing and change.
Re: High RPM But Not High Speed Please Help. by Amadosibina: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2022
in my own case of 2010 Camry, the reverse is the case; here is what i noticed, even when i accerate to 120km, the RPM will just got slightly above 2.5...this is not the case before! Cant figure out what the issue might be, please advice. Thank you

aladconsults:

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help My GS350 Is Giving Me Problems / Mercedes Benz X-class (pick Up) / gine Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.