Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,983 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119908 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 3:35pm On Aug 16, 2016
I started composting so as to improve my soil and the environment. As for space, your compost bin can be as small as a garbage can, as big as mine (pic) or even bigger. To compost you need greens (kitchen scraps like fruit peels except citrus fruits, vegetable scraps, grass and weed but without seeds, most things we eat can be composted with the exception of meat, fish and oils) and browns (dry leaves, newspaper, cardboard etc). I usually stash dry leaves when I cut my trees or even from neighbours. For my greens, I keep a bucket with cover in the kitchen to put all compostable materials and when I am ready I throw them in the compost bin. Finished compost (pic) should be dark and smell like soil.
Onegai:

Welcome! I'm not composting (No space) but please share your tips and techniques, with pics.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 4:35pm On Aug 16, 2016
Please can anyone help identify these plants? The 3rd pic, its the plant with white, purple and yellow flower. For the 4th picture, its a popular shade tree in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:34pm On Aug 16, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Please can anyone help identify these plants? The 3rd pic, its the plant with white, purple and yellow flower. For the 4th picture, its a popular shade tree in Lagos.

1st and 2nd pictures are variants of Kalanchoe, which is considered a succulent. The 4th picture isn't clear.

Your compost heap is incredible.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 9:54am On Aug 17, 2016
frugalandnatura:

the last one is a step tree (terminalia ivorensis)

i have some in my nursery
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 4:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for your help.
oriaburefarms:

the last one is a step tree (terminalia ivorensis)

i have some in my nursery
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 5:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
Thank you, my compost pile is going strong. Have you heard of hugelkulture? Please someone help identify the plant with yellow, purple and white flower. I bought one and it has become a shadow of itself.
Onegai:

1st and 2nd pictures are variants of Kalanchoe, which is considered a succulent. The 4th picture isn't clear.

Your compost heap is incredible.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 5:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Thank you, my compost pile is going strong. Have you heard of hugelkulture? Please someone help identify the plant with yellow, purple and white flower. I bought one and it has become a shadow of itself.

No I haven't. I just googled it. Perhaps you could do a post on it smiley
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 6:02pm On Aug 18, 2016
Can you share with us other plants you have in your nursery and where are you located? I want colorful succulent plants.
frugalandnatura:
Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 6:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
Hello Onegai,
In simple terms, hugelkulture is planting on buried wood. The idea is as the wood ages and rots, over time, it will trap water and thereby reduce your need for irrigation. Although this is long term as it needs about 3 years to get to this point unless you use well rotted wood. This is a picture of my hugelkulture raised bed. Another easy irrigation means is Ollas Irrigation.
Onegai:

No I haven't. I just googled it. Perhaps you could do a post on it smiley

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 8:44pm On Aug 18, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Can you share with us other plants you have in your nursery and where are you located? I want colorful succulent plants.

right now we are into trees, we have:
-dogoyaro/ neem tree
-soursop
-mango (few)
-terminalia ivorensis also known as step tree
-delonix regia also known as flamboyant tree
-polyalthia pendula (it's of the same family of the masqurade/fashiola tree, but instead of growing up,it grows branches. i cant find a pic on the internet
- poncirus trifoliata (extremely slow-growth)

DOGOYARO: We choosed it not only for the beauty but also for it's traditional medical uses.

Excluding poncirus trigoliata we have more or less 10,000 seedlings. poncirus on it's self is 8000. we want to use them to graft orange). so 18 000 in total.

right now we are have hard time in arranging the plants in our new plot of land,because we want to plant a huge amount of PAULOWNIA TORMENTOSA (known as the princess tree).if you are curious why we are in love with this plant do some research.

COME VISIT IF U ARE CURIOUS OR CONTACT US: NO.8 BABA AWORI STREET.
BARUWA INSIDE.IPAJA LAGOS
oriaburefarms@yahoo.com or call: 09080458548/09080352986

if we reserve the right support we ll make nigeria proud
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
I will like the neem tree and soursop tree ( can I get pictures for both and how much are they?). How long will it take the soursop to start fruiting? How long before I get seeds from the neem? ( the seed can be used to make oil which is a great pesticide).
I have some reservations though, are they organic? Can I keep them short because I have a very big mango tree that I am unable to harvest and I hate that. Another thing, can I plant them close to each other as I have limited space? Lastly, can their roots pull down a fence?
oriaburefarms:

right now we are into trees, we have:
-dogoyaro/ neem tree
-soursop
-mango (few)
-terminalia ivorensis also known as step tree
-delonix regia also known as flamboyant tree
-polyalthia pendula (it's of the same family of the masqurade/fashiola tree, but instead of growing up,it grows branches. i cant find a pic on the internet
- poncirus trifoliata (extremely slow-growth)

DOGOYARO: We choosed it not only for the beauty but also for it's traditional medical uses.

Excluding poncirus trigoliata we have more or less 10,000 seedlings. poncirus on it's self is 8000. we want to use them to graft orange). so 18 000 in total.

right now we are have hard time in arranging the plants in our new plot of land,because we want to plant a huge amount of PAULOWNIA TORMENTOSA (known as the princess tree).if you are curious why we are in love with this plant do some research.

COME VISIT IF U ARE CURIOUS OR CONTACT US: NO.8 BABA AWORI STREET.
BARUWA INSIDE.IPAJA LAGOS
oriaburefarms@yahoo.com or call: 09080458548/09080352986

if we reserve the right support we ll make nigeria proud

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 3:01pm On Aug 19, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Thanks for your reply.
I will like the neem tree and soursop tree ( can I get pictures for both and how much are they?). How long will it take the soursop to start fruiting? How long before I get seeds from the neem? ( the seed can be used to make oil which is a great pesticide).
I have some reservations though, are they organic? Can I keep them short because I have a very big mango tree that I am unable to harvest and I hate that. Another thing, can I plant them close to each other as I have limited space? Lastly, can their roots pull down a fence?

I'm having problems in uploading pics now. I'll try later, however you can check my thread to see some pics.
Both soursop and neem start fruiting in the first 3/5 years. Neem can grow 200years old.
At the moment we only have seedlings that merely reach 50cm. So we want to wait for next year before selling.
HOWEVER IF U COME VISIT, WE CAN GIVE THEM FOR FREE. I want someone from this thread to testify our work
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 3:33pm On Aug 19, 2016
Please when is the time that most flowers blossoms in Nigeria.

@oriabure...reminds me of my late uncle...that was his name. I would try and visit your farm and see what plants you've got.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2016
rabzy:

@oriabure...remind me of my late uncle...that was his name. I would try and visit your farm and see what plants you've got.

No problem. We'll be waiting for you.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
rabzy:

@oriabure...reminds me of my late uncle...that was his name. I would try and visit your farm and see what plants you've got.

Rabzy, that's such an excellent question! Hmm, well from what I've noticed, I've seen Frangipani flower more in dry season and I noticed more flowering plants just before the way season starts in full. So maybe April-early June. However, it seems to my eyes that most flowers do pretty well all through rainy season (all the Calla lilies are in full bloom here in Lagos). I know everywhere looks drier during the Harmattan. But this relates to Lagos, so humidity, temperature and other environmental factors like sea level and co will make it different for places like Jos, Enugu or Benue. I know for example in Delta/Edo state, they tend to get even more rainfall than Lagos state and I always saw bigger Hibiscus flowers and ginormous Aloe Vera plants growing with little help.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by softsoul22(m): 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2016
Hi naira landers, I'm a reputable custom licensed agent base here in Lagos, i work in Tincan port Apapa. For all your export needs, documentations, haulage/transport! For all your export needs, documentations, haulage/transportations! Contact for fast cargo clearing. We also deal in Koso-wood, charcoal, sesame seed, cashew nuts etc. Contact for inquiries! Email:digitalwisdom22@gmail.com, +2348122648651
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 12:18am On Aug 21, 2016
Bold - CAPFIS Enterprise Ltd is a renowned growing organization that sprung from Bold Support Services, a “think tank” organization based in Nigeria. Bold CAPFIS Enterprise Ltd is created to engage 34,000 youths into cassava cultivation program. The farms will be situated in the following states; Anambra, Bayelsa, Rivers, Ebonyi, Imo, Ondo, Cross River, Delta, Akwa-Ibom, Ekiti, Kogi, Taraba, Niger, Benue, Kaduna, Ogun and Edo State mainly because of the soil advantage. The selected participants will be given two weeks intensive training on mechanized cassava production. Bold CAPFIS shall also allot 5 hectares to each and every one of them after they have undergone their preparatory course, and establish solar powered cassava flour, chips, starch and chips processing centers in each state to commercialize the farm outputs for local consumption and export.

The ration of participants will be 30% to 70%, 30% goes to the indigenes of the State where the lands are situated, and 70% will be distributed equally amongst the participants that were successfully selected from the remaining 36 states of the Federation.

At the end of the harvest (8-9months), each farmer will earn a sum of N1,000,000.00 as a reward for monitoring and nurturing their farmland. Sign up for CAPFIS now.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 1:57pm On Aug 22, 2016
Onegai:

Rabzy, that's such an excellent question! Hmm, well from what I've noticed, I've seen Frangipani flower more in dry season and I noticed more flowering plants just before the way season starts in full. So maybe April-early June. However, it seems to my eyes that most flowers do pretty well all through rainy season (all the Calla lilies are in full bloom here in Lagos). I know everywhere looks drier during the Harmattan. But this relates to Lagos, so humidity, temperature and other environmental factors like sea level and co will make it different for places like Jos, Enugu or Benue. I know for example in Delta/Edo state, they tend to get even more rainfall than Lagos state and I always saw bigger Hibiscus flowers and ginormous Aloe Vera plants growing with little help.

Thanks Ma'am. I noticed a lot of blooming flowers during august too and i was thinking maybe the June-August Break of the rainfall created a sudden breakout of flowers too. I will watch out for immediately after the rains and see what we get.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 4:49pm On Aug 25, 2016
Our (Washington navel) orange started blooming this month. 10 of them

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by esscence00: 6:11pm On Aug 25, 2016
Nice work @All Nature lovers

I've been wanting to get myself an indoor flower or plant like aloe vera or snake plant etc. How feasible it is and how can I go about.

(I'm a student living in a self contain apartment off campus and I really love plants and flowers)!

Onegai
Tearoses
Babythug
Gerrad59
And other esteemed gardeners in the house.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:24pm On Aug 25, 2016
esscence00:
Nice work @All Nature lovers

I've been wanting to get myself an indoor flower or plant like aloe vera or snake plant etc. How feasible it is and how can I go about.

(I'm a student living in a self contain apartment off campus and I really love plants and flowers)!

Onegai
Tearoses
Babythug
Gerrad59
And other esteemed gardeners in the house.

Get a snake plant: it imoroves air quality and is really hard to kill.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 2:58pm On Aug 27, 2016
This orange, does it have to be put in the ground at some point or can it bring forth fruit (oranges) while potted?
oriaburefarms:
Our (Washington navel) orange started blooming this month. 10 of them
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 5:05pm On Aug 27, 2016
frugalandnatura:
This orange, does it have to be put in the ground at some point or can it bring forth fruit (oranges) while potted?

They bear friuts in the pot. We even sold two with oranges on them last year.( the customer pleaded day and night and since she was buying quite a huge amount to trees, we sold them out)
RIGHT NOW WE ARE NOT SELLING THEM.
I think we have about 80 grown up inside the pot. We dont want to sell now because the demand is too high.we can sell everthing out in a day without stress.

The 8000 poncirus I mentioned yhe other day,ll be used as rootstocks. I wish we'll be able to bud everything in 3/4 months so that by next year we'll healthy good looking orange plants to sell

So u can put it on the ground when u want or leave it inside the pot.
Still waiting for ur visit grin
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 5:11pm On Aug 27, 2016
The sold out once

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 9:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Sorry if this seems much, but please which of these flowers can i get in Nigeria and would grow well here. I want to plant a flower farm of about 1 acre.

Aster x Frikartii, Butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii)
Butterfly weed
Fennel, Lantana, Bee Balm, Borage (Botago Officinalis),
Oregano, Sunflower, Sweet alyssum, Lion's Tail,
Penstemon, Red Hot Poker, Salvia
Lavender, Gloriosa Daisy, Pincushion flower,
Blanket Flower, Coneflower, Yarrow

sweetclover, thistle, alfalfa, dandelion

Pale Purple coneflower, blue giant hyssop
horsemint, Black-eyed Susan, Asters, Joe-pye Weeds

Goldenrods, cosmos, marigolds, primulas, rudbekia, bluebells,
Hellebores, Clematis, crocus, rosemary, water mint, hebe,
Sweet Williams, poppies, ageratum, digitalis
Heliotrope Hazelnut, Catnip Dahlia

i would eventually need a horticulturist but i want to determine the flowers first.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 9:36pm On Aug 31, 2016
Wow, I will like to grow fruit trees in pots since I don't have space in the ground for another tree. I have a mango tree, 2 paw paw trees and a few plantains/banana. I will like to come around, will I get an orange tree too? just joking. Ipaja is quite far for me but I will try. I have some things sprouting in my compound that looks like Neem? I will post a picture so you can help identify it.
oriaburefarms:

They bear friuts in the pot. We even sold two with oranges on them last year.( the customer pleaded day and night and since she was buying quite a huge amount to trees, we sold them out)
RIGHT NOW WE ARE NOT SELLING THEM.
I think we have about 80 grown up inside the pot. We dont want to sell now because the demand is too high.we can sell everthing out in a day without stress.

The 8000 poncirus I mentioned yhe other day,ll be used as rootstocks. I wish we'll be able to bud everything in 3/4 months so that by next year we'll healthy good looking orange plants to sell

So u can put it on the ground when u want or leave it inside the pot.
Still waiting for ur visit grin

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 9:37pm On Aug 31, 2016
Is it a dwarf tree?
oriaburefarms:
The sold out once
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 10:57pm On Aug 31, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Wow, I will like to grow fruit trees in pots since I don't have space in the ground for another tree. I have a mango tree, 2 paw paw trees and a few plantains/banana. I will like to come around, will I get an orange tree too? just joking. Ipaja is quite far for me but I will try. I have some things sprouting in my compound that looks like Neem? I will post a picture so you can help identify it.

The oranges arent dwarf but fit the size of the pot. However we are now grafting on poncirus trifoliata that makes the orange dwarf.
Send the pic..let's see if I can help
frugalandnatura:
Is it a dwarf tree?
Nope
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 11:40am On Sep 01, 2016
Here are the pics?
oriaburefarms:

The oranges arent dwarf but fit the size of the pot. However we are now grafting on poncirus trifoliata that makes the orange dwarf.

Nope

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 11:43am On Sep 01, 2016
I will like to know what kind of soil you use to pot the orange. I have been looking up growing fruit trees in a pot and they all say don't use garden soil, dirt or compost, use only potting mix. What is your opinion?
oriaburefarms:

Nope
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 11:48am On Sep 01, 2016
You can visit any garden centre around you, if you are in Lagos try Shodex garden or in Ikeja (where you have the railway line). I will advise you arm yourself with pictures because some of these people don't know the correct names of the plants. I heard Shodex Garden is good, they have varieties and they know the names. Any plant that can grow in a tropical / sub tropical environment will grow in Nigeria. For the others, you can have a green house to control the environment.
rabzy:
Sorry if this seems much, but please which of these flowers can i get in Nigeria and would grow well here. I want to plant a flower farm of about 1 acre.

Aster x Frikartii, Butterfly bush (Buddleja davidii)
Butterfly weed
Fennel, Lantana, Bee Balm, Borage (Botago Officinalis),
Oregano, Sunflower, Sweet alyssum, Lion's Tail,
Penstemon, Red Hot Poker, Salvia
Lavender, Gloriosa Daisy, Pincushion flower,
Blanket Flower, Coneflower, Yarrow

sweetclover, thistle, alfalfa, dandelion

Pale Purple coneflower, blue giant hyssop
horsemint, Black-eyed Susan, Asters, Joe-pye Weeds

Goldenrods, cosmos, marigolds, primulas, rudbekia, bluebells,
Hellebores, Clematis, crocus, rosemary, water mint, hebe,
Sweet Williams, poppies, ageratum, digitalis
Heliotrope Hazelnut, Catnip Dahlia

i would eventually need a horticulturist but i want to determine the flowers first.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 12:18pm On Sep 01, 2016
Hello everyone, I need your help please. Does anyone know where I can get these items. I have an old container that I want to use as a planter but I want to upcycle it. I also need Mod Podge to attach the rope.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (27) (Reply)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.