Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119905 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 1:03pm On Sep 01, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Here are the pics?
It's dogoyaro
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:29pm On Sep 01, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Hello everyone, I need your help please. Does anyone know where I can get these items. I have an old container that I want to use as a planter but I want to upcycle it. I also need Mod Podge to attach the rope.

Aren't you in luck! I did the same but with thread on some bottles. You can't find Mod Podge easily here (but I bought 2 jars of it and truly I don't think it's all that, it doesn't stick so well). Try using white carpenter's glue (that's what I used and it's lasted over a year and a half indoors). For the raffia, under the bridge at Maryland/Mende has them (I got mine from there). HTH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 2:12pm On Sep 02, 2016
I really am lucky. Thanks, I will try the white carpenters glue then (I hope it will glue metal sha). How much did you buy the raffia? Can I see a picture of the one you did?
Onegai:

Aren't you in luck! I did the same but with thread on some bottles. You can't find Mod Podge easily here (but I bought 2 jars of it and truly I don't think it's all that, it doesn't stick so well). Try using white carpenter's glue (that's what I used and it's lasted over a year and a half indoors). For the raffia, under the bridge at Maryland/Mende has them (I got mine from there). HTH

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 2:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
frugalandnatura:
You can visit any garden centre around you, if you are in Lagos try Shodex garden or in Ikeja (where you have the railway line). I will advise you arm yourself with pictures because some of these people don't know the correct names of the plants. I heard Shodex Garden is good, they have varieties and they know the names. Any plant that can grow in a tropical / sub tropical environment will grow in Nigeria. For the others, you can have a green house to control the environment.

Thanks Chief, will try Ikeja. Is it the guys at PWD along Oshodi expressway.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
frugalandnatura:
I really am lucky. Thanks, I will try the white carpenters glue then (I hope it will glue metal sha). How much did you buy the raffia? Can I see a picture of the one you did?

If it's metal you can use a glue gun (but I'm not sure try it first). Raffia was like N800 a year ago (pretty sure they cheated me sha). You get it from those guys who weave baskets under the bridge.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 3:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
Yes
rabzy:

Thanks Chief, will try Ikeja. Is it the guys at PWD along Oshodi expressway.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 3:06pm On Sep 02, 2016
Beautiful! What kind of thread did you use?
Onegai:

If it's metal you can use a glue gun (but I'm not sure try it first). Raffia was like N800 a year ago (pretty sure they cheated me sha). You get it from those guys who weave baskets under the bridge.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:12pm On Sep 02, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Beautiful! What kind of thread did you use?

Random wool.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 8:40am On Sep 09, 2016
Hello guys,

I think rainy season is not a great time for blooming flowers. I went to a horticulturist to see some flowers that blooms during the rainy season. lease who can help with identification of the flowers botanical names. If you have pictures of plants with flowers blooming at this period, kindly upload and see varieties we can have.

If you have pictures of dry season flowers too no wahala, just indicate what times they bloom. Colourful flowers are wonderful to have all year round.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 8:46am On Sep 09, 2016
More i think i uploaded duplicates sorry.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Emary(f): 6:00pm On Sep 13, 2016
rosety:

Bromeliads are wonderful indoor plants. There is a whole bunch of them in the family from the ones you have in the picture to ornamental pineapples, tilandsia and air plants. The airplants are the wierdest ones as they get all their nutrients from the air (they have no roots). Their flowers are very long lasting and colourful. Looks like plastic. Unfortunately I don't have any flowering bromeliads in stock right now and I am typing this post at a ridiculously early hour for me. As soon as I can I'll post some pictures.

Next to anthuriums, they are my favourite plant

Please do you have any now? I learnt they are excellent indoor air purifiers.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:04pm On Sep 17, 2016
Emary:

Please do you have any now? I learnt they are excellent indoor air purifiers.

Tamsin and a few other gardens have Bromeliads.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 1:49pm On Sep 20, 2016
Good day everyone,
I will like to grow herbs but don't know where to get seeds from. I want to grow chives, cilantro, parsley, oregano, rosemary, etc
Someone help!

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Ochuwaidatsaba: 10:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
Hi Onegai, I am Ochuwa, I would like to know how I can get bulbs of blood lily. I need them for my research, studying Horticulture and landscape design. Can you help?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by rabzy: 2:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
frugalandnatura:
Good day everyone,
I will like to grow herbs but don't know where to get seeds from. I want to grow chives, cilantro, parsley, oregano, rosemary, etc
Someone help!

Maybe you should look at buying from reputable seed companies online. Aliexpress is very cheap but the seeds might be unreliable. I am planning to order from a seed company in US.

I have bought from aliexpress and they were just delivered. Planning to plant soon.
Does anyone know where i can get thyme plant in Lagos.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:36pm On Oct 22, 2016
Ochuwaidatsaba:
Hi Onegai, I am Ochuwa, I would like to know how I can get bulbs of blood lily. I need them for my research, studying Horticulture and landscape design. Can you help?

Hello. I don't know, I think your best bet is to make enquries from Rosety Gardens, Taison, Aralia by Nature or Oma Gardens. Then have a look around those local gardeners and finally if all else fails, order seeds online.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Mallamusa: 2:52pm On Oct 28, 2016
Hey guys, please I need help identifying these.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by lenmafon: 6:56pm On Nov 01, 2016
touchmeder:
Happy new month all ye flower lovers. A bouquet of fresh tropical flowers from the net
babe how u dey na? Longest time. Are u now a florist abi wetin them dey call these flower plenters? I don find u tire for lit. It seems u don't write again? How is life and work? Just said i should say hi to u. Cheers

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 3:06pm On Nov 03, 2016
lenmafon:

babe how u dey na? Longest time. Are u now a florist abi wetin them dey call these flower plenters? I don find u tire for lit. It seems u don't write again? How is life and work? Just said i should say hi to u. Cheers

God bless you darling. Its been ages. I love flowers as much as I enjoy writing. LOL

I used to visit the food section where they take pictures too. cheesy

Take care dear
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by harmbhrosz(m): 7:34am On Nov 05, 2016
Onegai:
Royal or Flamboyant Poinciana

If you grew up in Benin city or Ife, you should know this tree! It's name is the Dexonia Regia or Flame Tree (I was erroneously told it was "flame of the forest" as a child, that's not true because that tree is another specie native to colder climes). Stunning for its deep red flowers, it also had these seed pods that would fall on the ground and we would call them "Devil beans" and say they were scratchy to the skin grin
It's very much a tropical tree and in fact, certain Christians of India believe it was growing nearby where Christ was crucified and that his blood shed on the tree and gave it the gorgeous red colours.

it's called Delonix Regia (flame of the forest),

What made you love ornamentals so much? wink
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by lorhema(f): 10:51pm On Dec 05, 2016
People like gardening but when you live in a flat in Lagos and experience the daily stress you are not likely to do it. We had to move from the city, and to a bungalow, to begin to enjoy growing plants for their beauty but also some for food. For us, a mix is important. We enjoy eating our tomatoes, ugu, ewedu and waterleaf while we anticipate the fruits even as we appreciate the colours of our other plants.
Thanks for sharing.
The florist who made my wedding bouquet years ago is still in business and does a satisfactory job. She's not cheap though.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:24am On Jan 02, 2017
oriaburefarms:

The oranges arent dwarf but fit the size of the pot. However we are now grafting on poncirus trifoliata that makes the orange dwarf.
Send the pic..let's see if I can help

Nope

Please, if u do flowers, do you have those that can be used to beautify a school and ain't toxic? Also, how much do they go for, the school is around Iyana-ipaja, and will u deliver?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 8:55am On Jan 08, 2017
Yampotatocarrot:

Please, if u do flowers, do you have those that can be used to beautify a school and ain't toxic? Also, how much do they go for, the school is around Iyana-ipaja, and will u deliver?

We are mainly into trees. If you are interested in an esthetic plant. We do suggest delonix regia o paulownia tomentosa.
We also have fruit bearing trees like : mango and avocado.
Or you can choice an evergreen like: dogoyaro or polyalthia variegata.
We sell according to height and the lowest price is 1000.

For more info come visit and see for yourself the maintenance and care we give to our plants
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by frugalandnatura: 1:18pm On Feb 10, 2017
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get any of these plants?
Oxalis
Bird of paradise
Zinnias
Coneflowers
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by lorhema(f): 4:02pm On Feb 11, 2017
@oriaburefarms please do you have Ogbomosho mango seedlings? If yes,what's the price? Thanks.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by oriaburefarms: 2:19am On Feb 15, 2017
lorhema:
@oriaburefarms please do you have Ogbomosho mango seedlings? If yes,what's the price? Thanks.

Is it the one they call julie mango?! The one thats alway green even when its ripe. We have it
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by lorhema(f): 8:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
Thanks for responding. No, Ogbomosho mango changes colour as it ripens although it could be eaten when it's still green(but is beginning to ripen).
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Mar 23, 2017
Where can one get seeds or seedlings of these flowers in Nigeria?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:54am On Mar 25, 2017
Seun:
Where can one get seeds or seedlings of these flowers in Nigeria?

Most of them don't come in seeds but approach those roadside gardeners and ask to buy a plant or a cutting. Some will be for free, others will cost more. Depending on how exotic or expensive the plant is, you may want to meet the bigger, professional gardeners for them.

Hmm, I should continue this thread...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:55am On Mar 25, 2017
harmbhrosz:
it's called Delonix Regia (flame of the forest),

What made you love ornamentals so much? wink

I dunno, family upbringing? We have "weird tastes" (according to most Nigerians) in my family.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:57am On Mar 25, 2017
rabzy:

Maybe you should look at buying from reputable seed companies online. Aliexpress is very cheap but the seeds might be unreliable. I am planning to order from a seed company in US.

I have bought from aliexpress and they were just delivered. Planning to plant soon.
Does anyone know where i can get thyme plant in Lagos.

There are actually some organic city farmers with herbs. Check out Natural Nigerian on Instagram, she usually posts about them because they sell plants and even teach classes on how to establish an urban garden.
@cupcakecouturelagos has an urban garden and provides seedlings so contact her on Instagram and join her newsletter. Heh.
Cc lorhema

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:20am On Mar 25, 2017
Ponytail Palm

We are back! I lost my phone and all my pictures of this plant were on it cry

A ponytail palm is a very unique looking plant. Guess what, it is NOT a palm, it is actually a succulent. It had a strange, bulbous looking bottom and the leaves are very hair-like. Apart from its look, what made it stand out for me?

The price. A small ponytail palm in a pot (as of last year) went for a whopping N50, 000. It is easy to find a N250, 000 ponytail palm. That's because they live for a long time so a ponytail palm that is 20 years old or more and deeply rooted can cost upto N500, 000.

Ponytails are nice for Bonsai. They require very little fertilizer and Water.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (27) (Reply)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.