Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:51 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119635 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 08, 2016
Ije004:

Hi. What is the best time in the year to cultivate them in Nigeria?

Goodyness:
can these be grown in Nigeria? Will be happy to have some in my garden.

Yes they can be grown
The pictures posted below are from Ibadan.
But as I said, they flower all year round, but there are only a few number of flowers on the shrub and the flowers are smaller in size than normal.
I don't know if I look after them better, then they will grow better

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by serikiYCU(m): 10:59am On Feb 08, 2016
nice
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:02am On Feb 08, 2016
tearoses:

Yes they can be grown
But as I said, they flower all year round, but there are only a few number of flowers on the shrub and the flowers are smaller in size than normal.

I still can't believe it. Years ago, I think it was a white variety I tried. The flower was so tiny, one couldn't tell what it was. Abeg this woman confess your secrets.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 11:12am On Feb 08, 2016
One more smiley
the green foliage on that flower is gorgeous
This is the one that's near the a/c drips
Dunno if that is what's helping it

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by hettetatattam(m): 11:25am On Feb 08, 2016
So happy i found this........ cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:41am On Feb 08, 2016
Lemongrass

This can be grown either in a pot or grounded. It likes sunlight and water, so if you've got a clayey soil it should work fine. Lemongrass is great for medicinal, culinary and health. I believe it's one of ingredients in Agbo (native malaria treatment). During the Ebola panic, I developed a fever and not wanting to be subjected to the crazy of hospitals at that time, simply steeped lemongrass in hot water and brewed a tea out of it. Fever cured. Steeping lemongrass stalks in olive oil for some weeks (please Google process) will make lemongrass oil. And if you have a cold press machine, you can get essential oil.

By the way, as a child I was told it irritated snakes so it was good for around the compound.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 08, 2016
Lovely smiley
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by aghaibiam(f): 1:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
So lovely a thread. Please don't derail the thread with bitterness. I love houses with flowers sadly I don't grow any.hopefully when we have our property, three things must be present a raised patio, a library (got 564 ) books already and a garden.onegai can I be a friend?

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:10pm On Feb 08, 2016
aghaibiam:
So lovely a thread. Please don't derail the thread with bitterness. I love houses with flowers sadly I don't grow any.hopefully when we have our property, three things must be present a raised patio, a library (got 564 ) books already and a garden.onegai can I be a friend?

Totally! I love books too, I like buying old books even. Let's start together to grow something basic, I have a lot of empty cans, we can all start something basic indoors.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by GodsElect: 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
Pls can u recommend a shade loving outdoor shrub or plant to beautiful a small patch of land like 8ft long and 1ft wide thanks

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by aghaibiam(f): 2:55pm On Feb 08, 2016
I can start something potted.please can I use the local mud pot to plant? I live in Abuja and don't know if the sand I have around is good to plant.please suggest something beautiful that can grow fast and is not poisonous. I have kids who might be forgetful and pop a leaf in their mouth.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:
Milkbush

I rarely see people planting this indoors here but almost every professional gardener sells it in Lagos. Now, I'll ask that you avoid this plant until you are a very experienced gardener. Its sap is super-toxic and gushes out once you cut it and easily absorbed through skin and eyes. Repercussions are bad, we are talking anaphylactic symptoms (your eyes will feel like they're burning off and you will have shortness of breathe and all sorts) and you need to go to the hospital to get an Antihistamine shot. The symptoms are worse if you have a latex allergy (which we don't check for here). Professional gardeners abroad recommend using gloves and eye goggles when pruning this plant and scrubbing (yes scrubbing) your hands off afterwards.

This is an amazing thread and as I see some of the plants, I'm just smiling. I don't know most by name but some of these plants take me back to when I was growing up. My mum had lots of these plants in flower pots.

This milky one, she had it too and I remember plucking it and watching the sap flow. We used to place the sap on our nails (abi nor be this plant. Maybe it was another plant that produces sap lol) and it would have this transparent cortex effect. Now I know better.

I'm still going thru this thread cos I remember a bright orange coloured flower (small flowers) with velvety brownish leaves. I've been looking for that plant ever since even trying google but no joy. Good job ere; following thread.

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by AGB7(m): 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
I love flowers. In future I intend to surround my home with them, beautiful ones. Onegai, your services will be highly needed. (laughs)
Really happy this is coming froma lady. They love beautiful things, and flowers are just rightly fitted in a lady's virtual quest for real beauty. So i understand with the lady who stepped on poo in her attempt to appreciate nature's beautiful work. "You did the right thing".
Kudos to you Onegai. Am happy you found the GRAIL...

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 3:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Totally! I love books too, I like buying old books even. Let's start together to grow something basic, I have a lot of empty cans, we can all start something basic indoors.

Can I join? I'll have to find the tin and soil first

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:48pm On Feb 08, 2016
touchmeder:

This is an amazing thread and as I see some of the plants, I'm just smiling. I don't know most by name but some of these plants take me back to when I was growing up. My mum had lots of these plants in flower pots.

This milky one, she had it too and I remember plucking it and watching the sap flow. We used to place the sap on our nails (abi nor be this plant. Maybe it was another plant that produces sap lol) and it would have this transparent cortex effect. Now I know better.

I'm still going thru this thread cos I remember a bright orange coloured flower (small flowers) with velvety brownish leaves. I've been looking for that plant ever since even trying google but no joy. Good job ere; following thread.

Milk Bush is weird, some people don't get the effect but I've seen someone with red eyes because of it. Reactions vary. Like for example I once cut green pepper that had my hands burning for 4 hours (I rubbed Palm oil, butter, ran cold water and swore it was the end of fried rice in my life).

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:49pm On Feb 08, 2016
touchmeder:

Can I join? I'll have to find the tin and soil first

Please join abeg.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:59pm On Feb 08, 2016
aghaibiam:
I can start something potted.please can I use the local mud pot to plant? I live in Abuja and don't know if the sand I have around is good to plant.please suggest something beautiful that can grow fast and is not poisonous. I have kids who might be forgetful and pop a leaf in their mouth.

Mud pot is clay, shebi? It should be fine. First decide where the pot will stay: if there's plenty light or low shade or it is outside. That will decide what you get. Then go to those professional gardens who do work for people. Look around and see which plant will do and they can sell you the plant or cutting and the right soil (try and get some cow manure from them mixed into the soil). Or you can start with herbs like scent leaf, mint, sweet basil or aloe vera or something.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:46pm On Feb 08, 2016
Costus Spectabilis and the Nigerian Coat of Arms: fact or mistake?

Below is a Costus Spectabilis, it's part of the crawling ginger family and is a shade-loving plant. I've never seen it (or maybe I have). But guess what?

It is Nigeria's official state flower. As in the government picked it for us. It is the red flower on our coat of. arms sef.

But guess what's crazier?

IT HAS ONLY EVER BEEN SEEN AROUND THE WORLD. AND IN NIGERIA WITH YELLOW FLOWERS YET ON OUR COAT OF ARMS, IT IS DEPICTED IN RED.

hmm.

Wikipedia states that we made a mistake. The Nigerian blogger below states that we made a care less mistake because we are Nigerians and that is our life. grin So, which is it? Does the flower only bloom red in Nigeria (no pictures exist of it in red, even in Nigeria) or did we carelessly decide to change it to red to match our coat of Arms better?

And why o why is this not taught in Nigerian schools?!

Have you heard of this flower?

https://elvisharmony./2013/10/06/35-years-of-national-embarrassment-the-mistake-on-nigerias-coat-of-arms/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costus_spectabilis

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:52pm On Feb 08, 2016
GodsElect:
Pls can u recommend a shade loving outdoor shrub or plant to beautiful a small patch of land like 8ft long and 1ft wide thanks

do you have good soil and do you want a flowering plant? Something easy that you can blank for a while and it won't wither and can manage under the rainy season? Could you please post a pic of the space, everyone should have better ideas than me. Also where do you live? If you have one of those gardeners around you, you could take a look at what they have. Please reply. Thanks.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by An0nimus: 8:59pm On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:
Costus Spectabilis and the Nigerian Coat of Arms: fact or mistake?

Below is a Costus Spectabilis, it's part of the crawling ginger family and is a shade-loving plant. I've never seen it (or maybe I have). But guess what?

It is Nigeria's official state flower. As in the government picked it for us. It is the red flower on our coat of. arms sef.

But guess what's crazier?

IT HAS ONLY EVER BEEN SEEN AROUND THE WORLD. AND IN NIGERIA WITH YELLOW FLOWERS YET ON OUR COAT OF ARMS, IT IS DEPICTED IN RED.

hmm.

Wikipedia states that we made a mistake. The Nigerian blogger below states that we made a care less mistake because we are Nigerians and that is our life. grin So, which is it? Does the flower only bloom red in Nigeria (no pictures exist of it in red, even in Nigeria) or did we carelessly decide to change it to red to match our coat of Arms better?

And why o why is this not taught in Nigerian schools?!

Have you heard of this flower?

https://elvisharmony./2013/10/06/35-years-of-national-embarrassment-the-mistake-on-nigerias-coat-of-arms/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costus_spectabilis

You could create another thread out of this. Hopefully it gets on FP to educate NLers(and readers of the 1001 other blogs that'll copy the post). Enlightening piece.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ive never seen this flower before
Looks like something that will thrive in a marshy area, like a water lily
Why didn't they choose something more popular
The Hibiscus maybe undecided

Onegai is that black hibiscus easily found?
I just love it
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 08, 2016
Flowers also attract wildlife
Most times its good and sometimes it isnt

One of our neighbours had 4 big trees in his compound.
the Trees were really tall and bushy and they must have been there for years
There were hundreds and hundreds of beautifully coloured birds on the trees, blue, yellow and orange chested birds. ( I dont know birds so I donlt know their species) and the chirping in the morning made you think you were somewhere exotic grin
in Lagos o!
The trees made the whole area cool and serene.

But the downside is that those birds stripped every single blade off our dwarf palm trees for their nests. Funny enough they never killed the trees but they just kept on stripping the blades. its like they knew how far to go before stopping.

Our neighbour has down the trees now leaving only one, so not so many birds as before sad

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 9:17pm On Feb 08, 2016
anumide:

Eeewwww
You just ruined my breakfast!
And this pancakes consumed my time. *crying*
cheesy cheesy funny story sha.
sorry smiley
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 08, 2016
tearoses:

Yes they can be grown
thanks, will check out gardens around Lagos to see if I can get some.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 11:38pm On Feb 08, 2016
Onegai:

Please join abeg.

With Jesus joy in my heart, i'm very happy to announce the orange coloured plant I was referring to earlier today. This thread woke that urge in me again and i went 'agoogling' LOL and this time, I was rewarded with the right result. Some of us on this thread may recognise the plant abi na only my mama dey grow am those days? This is the blog that led me to the plant; http://chingchailah..com/2015_08_01_archive.html

It is called [size=18pt]Chrysothemis Pulchella.[/size] Wiki says ''Chrysothemis pulchella (also known as sunset bells, black flamingo, copper leaf' or simply chryothemis is a tender tropical perennial plant that belongs to the Gesneriaceae family. It can be used as a shade area house plant or interior ornamental plant or in a greenhouse''

If I tell you how excited I am about finding this plant, you wont believe it. I'll be sending the pic to my mum tomorrow morning.

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Cheechy(f): 11:58pm On Feb 08, 2016
LOVELY!

Onegai:
Can planters

In case you don't have much space and can't afford a planter, grab some empty tins, pgetut some drainage holed at the bottom, some paint or spraypaint and DIY it. You can grow herbs like Aloe, sweet basil, bay leaf, mint or succulents in them. Make the can planter match your decor and put them where they can get sun.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by olerismith(m): 1:25am On Feb 09, 2016
Boungainvillea

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by olerismith(m): 1:33am On Feb 09, 2016
Double-Ixora

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by olerismith(m): 1:50am On Feb 09, 2016
West indies female. The best hedge trimming flower. You can use it to form any shape.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by olerismith(m): 2:01am On Feb 09, 2016
Ohgardens Horticultural Services
Call us for > Home Garden Establishment > Garden Maintenance > Fumigation and Pest Control Services
Mobilee: 07064442875, whatsapp: 07051720242
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:01am On Feb 09, 2016
tearoses:
Ive never seen this flower before
Looks like something that will thrive in a marshy area, like a water lily
Why didn't they choose something more popular
The Hibiscus maybe undecided

Onegai is that black hibiscus easily found?
I just love it

I think the black hibiscus has to be bought because it's a hybrid or its modified.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 6:02am On Feb 09, 2016
touchmeder:

With Jesus joy in my heart, i'm very happy to announce the orange coloured plant I was referring to earlier today. This thread woke that urge in me again and i went 'agoogling' LOL and this time, I was rewarded with the right result. Some of us on this thread may recognise the plant abi na only my mama dey grow am those days? This is the blog that led me to the plant; http://chingchailah..com/2015_08_01_archive.html

It is called [size=18pt]Chrysothemis Pulchella.[/size] Wiki says ''Chrysothemis pulchella (also known as sunset bells, black flamingo, copper leaf' or simply chryothemis is a tender tropical perennial plant that belongs to the Gesneriaceae family. It can be used as a shade area house plant or interior ornamental plant or in a greenhouse''

If I tell you how excited I am about finding this plant, you wont believe it. I'll be sending the pic to my mum tomorrow morning.

Nice! I know this one, it's a small shrub, right? I've not seen it in a while though.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.