Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,278 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H (730 Views)

Saraki Formally Replies Obasanjo, Promises To Cut Waste, Fight Corruption / Saraki Replies Sun Newspapers Over Allegations / Saraki Replies APC Leadership On NASS Crisis, Says "My Hands Are Tied" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by babanett: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2016
Saraki replies Obasanjo, says Senate committed to transparency
January 28, 2016Hassan Adebayo

Bukola Saraki, Senate President, Nigeria
The senate president, Bukola Saraki, has reacted to a letter from former President Olusegun Obasanjo, to Mr. Saraki and the speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, in which Mr. Obasanjo accused the National Assembly of corruption, greed, impunity and lawlessness.
Mr. Obasanjo’s letter, published exclusively by PREMIUM TIMES on Wednesday, said most members of the 469-member National Assembly were receiving constituency allowances without maintaining constituency offices as the law requires of them.
The former leader said he was distressed by the massive corruption and lawlessness at the National Assembly and other arms and tiers of government.
In Mr. Saraki’s statement, obtained from his media office on Thursday, the senate president assured that the Senate under his leadership was committed to good governance, transparency, accountability, due process and responsiveness to the economic reality of our nation.
“It is for this reason that the legislative chamber has introduced bold and progressive reforms in the management of the finances of the National Assembly,” he said.
He also said he was canvassing making the National Assembly budget open to the public.
The full statement:

Yesterday, I acknowledged that I received a letter from former President Olusegun Obasanjo in which he called the attention of the National Assembly to some issues.
I will want to assure President Obasanjo that the leadership and membership of the 8th Senate are committed to good governance, transparency, accountability, due process and responsiveness to the economic reality of our nation. It is for this reason that the legislative chamber has introduced bold and progressive reforms in the management of the finances of the National Assembly.
This is of even greater importance during a tough fiscal period for our country. Like I said during my closing address at the plenary after our debate on the 2016 Budget, the Senate must lead by example in terms of our own funding, budgets and accountability – showing, beyond doubt, value for money. I have canvassed that we must lay bare the budget of the Senate, nay the National Assembly and its affiliated institutions.
I equally canvassed the need to strengthen the capacity of the legislative institution to carry our effective oversight of the executive arm so that we can ensure the budget leads to the realization of the policy objectives of the Buhari Administration. Again, let me reiterate my position in the speech I made this morning on the need for us to work towards blocking all areas of revenue leakages while also strengthening the anti-corruption agencies so that the little resources that are now available will serve the interest of the overwhelming majority.
As a former president and a father of the nation that we all hold in high esteem, I intend to reply the letter and outline the actions the Senate is taking to address his concerns.
In conclusion, I appreciate President Obasanjo for his consistent role in always reminding those of us in government about our responsibilities to the general public and offering timely advice where necessary.
Signed
Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by XaintJoel20: 11:53am On Jan 28, 2016
There is nothing transparent in the Nigerian Senate...
A senate that budgeted close to 120 billion naira as it's budget for 2016. A budget that is bigger than the budget of 20 states...
Budgeted 49 billion to purchase vehicles for it's 'standing committee'...
A senate that has close to 100 committee, and the USA has just 25...
A senate that is a stooge, protege and puppet of the executive...
What is transparent in all these

1 Like

Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by dtruth3(m): 12:11pm On Jan 28, 2016
Okay I talk later
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by achiphet(m): 12:13pm On Jan 28, 2016
Okay ill talk later too
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by Montaque(m): 12:16pm On Jan 28, 2016
Our legislative system is fashioned to gulp a large amount of our budget. it's not the sole fault of their leadership and they can't help it
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by jic4real: 12:18pm On Jan 28, 2016
when the letter starts flying, just know that heads will soon roll.
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by omogidi234(m): 12:20pm On Jan 28, 2016
Baba wants focus on those chaps.
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by goodlifehyd(m): 1:01pm On Jan 28, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by vedaxcool(m): 2:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
Look at what the most dishonest fellow speaking of transparency like he knows what it means.

1 Like

Re: Saraki Replies Obasanjo, Says Senate Committed To Transparency January 28, 2016H by mrvitalis(m): 2:07pm On Jan 28, 2016
All I can see is a very corrupt man replying another very corrupt man who causes him of corruption
.... .. What do I care? ?

(1) (Reply)

See What I Saw On Facebook / Who Says Lagos Is Not Working / Many Dead, Several Injured As Suicide Female Bombers Strike Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.