Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,166 members, 7,835,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

Why Buhari's Economic Policies Are Doomed To Fail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari's Economic Policies Are Doomed To Fail (497 Views)

Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others / Soludo Faults Buhari's Economic Policies / El-rufai’s Policies Are Anti-people — Kaduna Senator, Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Buhari's Economic Policies Are Doomed To Fail by MagicBishop: 2:32am On Jan 29, 2016
I am not going to mention the already failed 2016 budget. To me that on its own is another testament of Buhari's total lack of understanding of basic economics.

What however, I will like to discuss is to point out - from a comparative analysis- how the last administration through govt deregulation and market liberalisation was able to significantly improve the economy while less than a year afterwards under Buhari's regimented and controlled market economy, Nigeria is heading for a recession.

The Buhari administration is embarking on a controlled economy where Aso Rock virtually dictates the tone.

In this light, you can't expect investors to troop in. The stock market disaster is related directly to Aso Rock's directive to restrict cash reparations of foreign investors. The harbinger of an impending loss in confidence by foreign investors was the blacklisting of Nigeria by JP Morgan in the int'l bond market.

The black listing of certain categories of imported finished products and/or industrial inputs by this administration has led to many existing businesses collapsing and also closed the doors to any likely investor.

The straw that broke the camel's back has to be the strict forex guidelines in place which make it cumbersome and difficult to access much needed forex.

As things stand now, there is no clear policy as the govt can wake up tomorrow and announce another negative and misplaced policy.

The only way now to get confidence as an investor is to negotiate directly with Aso Rock to meet favorable terms of doing business.

We saw this with different western business executives accompanying their respective diplomatic envoys to negotiate directly with Buhari before they invest and so far none has shown any real commitment to.

It thus so happens, that instead of financial and trade institutions of govt rolling out sound consistent policies as in the past, we have a situation where we have one man appropriating all responsibilities and discretions to himself and guided only by a select few inner cabinet members.

This has automatically rendered all institutions of govt ineffective and has vested much power in the hands of the president and members of his cabal.

The existence of this cabal has also made Buhari's policies not borne out of any real positive motive to stabilise and improve the economy but prone to lobbying and outright bribing.

No sound business man or company will want to subject their investments to the whimps and caprices of a cabal at the expense of sound govt regulatory bodies and a sound fiscal policy.

This to me is why we should not expect any sincere investor to walk in but only to expect unsavoury and exploitative business men and investors.

My 2 kobo and if you must disagree with me let's do it outside partisan sentiments.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Criticism Won’t Stop Buhari’s Anti-corruption War –mohammed / Ibori Released, Re-arrested In London After Completing Jail Term / Obama Tells Muslim Americans In His First U.S. Mosque Visit “you Fit Right Here”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.