Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,687 members, 7,816,798 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? (7207 Views)

U.B.A What's All This Na! / I Work With A Dead Man's Certificate: I Need Help..please HELP A Nlder / Mechanical Engineering-where Can One Work After Studying It?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Afam4eva(m): 10:18pm On Jul 17, 2009
I chose not to go to a nigerian university because i was not given the privilege to study a course of my choice. I don't know why nigerians will study banana just because they want to get into school, and after doing it the'll start asking where they can work, it's only someone without ambition that'll ask such questions. And why are nigerians so obsessed with university certificate.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by neeyee(m): 12:06am On Jul 18, 2009
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by DoubleN(m): 1:03am On Jul 18, 2009
Bank!They employ even Medical Doctors.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by bintab(f): 3:58am On Jul 18, 2009
rooney86:

make sure u learn very well. U can start your church, u can even start now with a campus fellowship.

With good luck and hardwork you might just become the G.O of a big ministry and buy a jet.
This got me laughing,yes o that is the best advise that fitted your inquiries. Abegi if that one no do,change course as someone had already advised.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by kech(f): 5:33am On Jul 18, 2009
Afam4eva I feel u and I really don't blame u. The one that gets to me is when people accept just about ANY course just to get into a particular university, (Note: I said "PARTICULAR", and I'm not implying the OP did so.) I remember trying to get into UI for Architecture and they gave me Urban and Regional Planning. I refused it and everyone thought I was foolish for doing so. They were like " Just take it like that, it's still a good course and moreover u can always transfer in the second year. It's UI ooooo!!" shocked shocked, I didn't even want to take that gamble cos I know my naija peeps. When its time to transfer, they'll start telling me stories and I'll be stuck with a course I hate all in the name of attending UI. I just respected myself and went to another school where I got the course I wanted and I have no regrets whatsoever. Like u said Afam, in Naija its all about the certificate. It doesn't matter what u studied. That's why you'll see an Igbo girl willing to study "Igbo" just so she can get into UNN or a yoruba girl studying "yoruba" in UNILAG or UI. That's not bad if and only if they decide to become Teachers, or translators of some sort. But NO!!, some of them want to work in Banks and Oil Companies. People should thank their stars I'm not a HR person angry

Poster, this question is for you. What were your plans for the future b4 you accepted the course? If you just accepted it just to get into school (and I can't fault u for that), did u make any effort later on to change to something more to your liking? If u didn't you should have started thinking about what to do with the degree b4 now. Let me be honest with u. If you are thinking about getting a job that's not "religion" related, you need to get some further training that can widen your job scope. Even if you don't go for a Master's, do a post-graduate course or even a certificate program in either Bus. Admin, Project management or Economics. Don't get me wrong ooo, you can't get a job with your religion if u know people, but it will never be stable and you may never grow at the job. You need to back up your degree. They do part-time degree/post-graduate/certificate business programs in most places. You can always enroll for one of them while working (if u get a job).
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by dvirgin(m): 9:04am On Jul 18, 2009
@afam4eva, agbalaya, kech- 2 be frank with you guys i really wanted to study THEATRE ARTS, But the dream was cut short when i couldn't get the core requirement which is literature, I'm really confused, transfering from this department is as hard as rock, Pls can anyone advice me on any proffessional exams to take to back up my degree.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by akinlade11: 9:36am On Jul 18, 2009
Wut a good course,finish and open ur own business center(church).
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by denony(m): 10:33am On Jul 18, 2009
Sorry dear, there is no certain area of study for employment in any organisation/firm in Nigeria

1. A banker can be NNPC manager in any oil firm
2. An engineer can be bank manager in any bank
3. A business administrator can be an actress in Nollywood
4. A surveyor can be a technical manager in any organisation (just few)

questions:

1. But what are ur intentions before u grab the admission?
2. Did your parents own a Church?

well my piece of advice:
CHECK THE NEXT CHURCH AVAILABLE FLIGHT THAT IS VERY CLOSE TO YOU
ASK THEM OF THEIR REQUIREMENTS AND GRADES NEEDED, THEN WORK HARD FOR IT.

Please we need more questions from people studying:

Yoruba language.
Igbo literature
can't remember others (somebody help)
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by amaks: 1:04pm On Jul 18, 2009
sley4life:

bank

spot on. most realistic practicable answer.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Afam4eva(m): 2:16pm On Jul 18, 2009
One of the reasons why the nigeriann economy is not moving fast is that some people are found where they are'nt supposed to be. How can a nedical doctor work in a bank.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by dmediator(m): 3:24pm On Jul 18, 2009
Guy i tink uve nt made a wrong choic,wk hard n graud wt a gud grad, den u can go 4 a masters im public relatio r any other,so dat u can aply in companies. GUDLUCK.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by dmxqo(m): 3:35pm On Jul 18, 2009
Hey! U can work in any co-religious commission. Like the christian-muslim relationship stuff. Better still do a Masters in Public Relation or Psychology! Wow! U got a broad way!
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by mayfrances(f): 3:01am On Jul 19, 2009
The Potter's House in Dallas, TX needs some more pastors, but you must be a crook,, sad angry
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by NosaHenry(m): 10:55am On Jul 19, 2009
Don't u think it is a little bit late to be asking this question at this time when u have already dived into the ocean before asking for the depth?
Just study hard and make good grade, maybe, just maybe u will get a good paying job in any industry and more likely if u are connected.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Devonian(m): 7:36pm On Jul 19, 2009
My response to this question is informed by someone's educational history that I have first hand experience of. Some ten years ago, he completed his BA degree in Music. Whilst studying for his music degree people scornfully questioned the rationale for pursuing a degree in music, asking whether or not he needed to spend 4 years in the university to become a musician. Afterall, Michael Jackson (to the best of my knowledge) didn't gain a degree in Music. Neither did many of the globally renowned musicians (Sunny Ade, Bob Marley, Charlotte Church, Paul McCartney, Elvis Presley, Britney Spears, etc). He simply told them he was following his mind: He enjoyed listening to, and performing, western classical music -- a music genre which sections of the Nigerian population doesn't identify with. Within one year of graduating this lad had an offer of admission and full scholarship each in UK, USA and Canada.  He considered, on balance, to proceed to the UK and completed his masters degree. He further gained a PGCE, a qualification requisite for teaching in UK schools. He has since been legally and permanently residing in the UK, teaching/lecturing music.

Here in the UK (and possibly in USA, Canada, and other parts of the world where it is happening) what is important is, in many respects, not the subject of your degree qualification but the class of your degree. With your BA in Religion, or BA/BSc in any subject, even Igbo, you can, for example, pursue one of several one-year “conversion courses” designed to enable graduates in subjects other than computer science or business studies to complete MSc in Computing/Business Managament and become experts in IT/Business. If you choose to teach, Religious Education is a compulsory subject in UK publicly funded schools, and, in deed, there is an acute shortage of qualified Religious Education teachers. Your BA in Religion perfectly prepares you (upon obtaining a PGCE) to teach this subject in the UK.

If you think you're destined to live and die in Nigeria, think locally! If you think the sky is even not the  limit, in this time and age of space exploration/expedition, click these webliknks (http://www.hds.harvard.edu/faculty/olupona.cfm; http://www.wfu.edu/religion/Faculty&Staff/Ilesanmi.html; http://www.div.ed.ac.uk/aadogame.html; ). These guys started, decades ago, and were, in different Nigerian Universities, at the same academic level you are today, studying Religion. What stops you from reaching where they are today? Studying Religion doesn't mean you should become ordained or self-acclaimed pastor and founder if you don't have the calling. You can branch out to cognate field (sociology and anthropology, possibly of religion), and you can remain within the field, and realise your potentials to the fullest.

DVIRGIN, FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS, IF YOU HAVE ANY! THANK YOU.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by whiteroses(f): 8:01pm On Jul 19, 2009
you can work in a bank i swear you can, i know someone that did Religion studies and is working in a a nigerian bank today but she told me she "knows" people , but mainly you can teach
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by ifele(m): 10:54pm On Jul 19, 2009
The advice I will give is this: You dont need to study religion in university when you can just buy some books and

study them. In Nigeria the only way to support yourself tru religious work is if you want to be a rabbi,pastor or

imam or babalawo. What kind of jobs are you going to be applying for? Because you are going to need SKILLS to

qualify for the good jobs. Go for the SKILLS that will get you the good and LUCRATIVE job or that will help you

start your own successful business. B.A in Religion is not what they are looking for IN MANY PLACES OF

EMPLOYMENT. Make the right choices, you can still change majors or disciplines.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Naturez(m): 2:39am On Jul 20, 2009
You can sign up with me when you are done, I need staffs in my coy as long as you are good at what you do.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by hayan(m): 7:48am On Jul 20, 2009
Hey! You can work anywhere. I read a more unpopular course in Nigeria, Classical Studies and I have had offers from the best comapnies in Nigeria. I now work with one of the big two!

So it's a matter of what you want from life and how you go about getting what you want. What course did Dangote read or Gamaliel Onosande?

You can decide to work in a shrine sha grin
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Naturez(m): 8:01am On Jul 20, 2009
hayan:

Hey! You can work anywhere. I read a more unpopular course in Nigeria, Classical Studies and I have had offers from the best comapnies in Nigeria. I now work with one of the big two!

So it's a matter of what you want from life and how you go about getting what you want. What course did Dangote read or Gamaliel Onosande?

You can decide to work in a shrine sha
grin

Why you kuku give am the address to una own shrine make e apply?
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by okotie800(m): 8:49am On Jul 20, 2009
Hey brother,why do u bother urself,u are in the helm of things.Religion is the leading business in Nigeria now.U can really make it big.I bet u sooner or later u will be buying a private jet,wearing million dollar suits,jerry curlin ur hair, movin in expensive limo.Boy,u got such wonderful prospects.I wish i were u.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Kx: 8:56am On Jul 20, 2009
okotie800:

Hey brother,why do u bother urself,u are in the helm of things.Religion is the leading business in Nigeria now.U can really make it big.I bet u sooner or later u will be buying a private jet,wearing million dollar suits,jerry curlin ur hair, movin in expensive limo.Boy,u got such wonderful prospects.I wish i were u.

Oh my goist,
The repsonse above is d best so far.
Think about it.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by SegzyJoe(m): 1:05pm On Jul 20, 2009
Anywhere if you are good, your degree is not a limit of your potentials
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Nezan(m): 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2009
@Poster,
I think this is your best post here:

SegzyJoe:

Anywhere if you are good, your degree is not a limit of your potentials
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Redfox(m): 1:48pm On Jul 20, 2009
@dvirgin
are u not the one that filled religion in your JAMB form?,where u sleeping when you did d application?.guy!!! u are funny,how can u possibly go in for a course without inquiring into what the future holds for u in line with your choice course.I advice u go the guidance and counseling section on campus for career assistance.there are a lot of contradicting advices and suggestions in these forum,some good and some bad.don't get more confused,go there now.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by babalolas(m): 3:24pm On Jul 20, 2009
B.A religion? what kind of person are you? is this what your mates are studing? You need to visit the montain maybe God can Direct you. as for me , the best thing to do is to use the money you have and enroll in a computer school instead of wasting the money on school fees. so your parents even allow you? IS JAMB THIS HEARTLESS?
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by kech(f): 6:01pm On Jul 20, 2009
At OP, like I said earlier. Even though I think you should partly be blamed, I know how the Naija education system is like so I won't judge you. I just think it's high time Naija youths stand up for what they really want. We just can't keep sitting on our butts and blaming everything on the system. Granted, the system is messed up, but what are u doing to help yourself? What is your ambition? What's your plan? Do you even have one? My worry with you OP is not the fact that you are asking where u can work with your degree but that you don't even know what you want to do. Ok, you said Religion was not your choice, it was just given to you. Fine. My question is, What was it you wanted to study before u were given Religion? What do you want to do? If you can answer these questions then you have solved half of your problem. The other part will then be looking for ways to make sure it comes to pass. Either by trying to switch courses if u are still in school or getting back-up training to supplement your degree if you are out of school. If you want to follow some people's advice and "work" your way into banks and the likes of them with your degree as is, then be my guest. It's your life. BUT MY QUESTION IS!! What is it you are going to tell them you want to work as? Are you just going to tell them "Put me anywhere you think my Religion degree will fit"? That is my problem with your question!! What is it you want to do?! Do you want to be an accountant? An administrator? Business manager? Clerk? What?! angry Don't just throw your dice up in the air and leave it to fate. Stand for something or you'll fall for anything. Peace out.

PS: When you have figured out what it is you are interested in, People can then suggest options on how to go about it. Finally, I want you to realize that even though people have been succesful in carreers different from what they studied, it will be foolhardy for u to jump on their bandwagon because of that. Your destinies are not the same. Try all you can to become what you want and if in the course of it you end up being successful in something else, all fine and good! The point still is, you finally ended up where you did because of the foundation you laid for yourself and not because you were trying to imitate others.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by dvirgin(m): 6:57am On Jul 21, 2009
kech:

At OP, like I said earlier. Even though I think you should partly be blamed, I know how the Naija education system is like so I won't judge you. I just think it's high time Naija youths stand up for what they really want. We just can't keep sitting on our butts and blaming everything on the system. Granted, the system is messed up, but what are u doing to help yourself? What is your ambition? What's your plan? Do you even have one? My worry with you OP is not the fact that you are asking where u can work with your degree but that you don't even know what you want to do. Ok, you said Religion was not your choice, it was just given to you. Fine. My question is, What was it you wanted to study before u were given Religion? What do you want to do? If you can answer these questions then you have solved half of your problem. The other part will then be looking for ways to make sure it comes to pass. Either by trying to switch courses if u are still in school or getting back-up training to supplement your degree if you are out of school. If you want to follow some people's advice and "work" your way into banks and the likes of them with your degree as is, then be my guest. It's your life. BUT MY QUESTION IS!! What is it you are going to tell them you want to work as? Are you just going to tell them "Put me anywhere you think my Religion degree will fit"? That is my problem with your question!! What is it you want to do?! Do you want to be an accountant? An administrator? Business manager? Clerk? What?! angry Don't just throw your dice up in the air and leave it to fate. Stand for something or you'll fall for anything. Peace out.

PS: When you have figured out what it is you are interested in, People can then suggest options on how to go about it. Finally, I want you to realize that even though people have been succesful in carreers different from what they studied, it will be foolhardy for u to jump on their bandwagon because of that. Your destinies are not the same. Try all you can to become what you want and if in the course of it you end up being successful in something else, all fine and good! The point still is, you finally ended up where you did because of the foundation you laid for yourself and not because you were trying to imitate others.
@kech, i think i posted this b4, i actually wanted to do theatre arts which i was offered, the only problem is that i dont have the major requirement (literature), And thats how i found myself in religion. But truly kech i still want to do my first love-theatre arts- its just that i think religion is killing this dream, cos transfering the department is not possible, I'm confused,
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Naturez(m): 8:21am On Jul 21, 2009
okotie800:

Its not late yet nah,you can start the course too. Your name is even the same like one of out country's pastor you know. grin
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by babalolas(m): 10:14am On Jul 21, 2009
you actually wanted to do theatre arts, And you found urself in religion. you are a confused man, you dont know what you want. that the school offer you religion doesnt mean you should fall for it. you are just wasting your moey for nothing. theology school is not more than 25,000 my dear , even if you dont have money they will still assist you. THE BIG QUESTION IS WHY IS THE SCHOOL THIS HEARTLESS?
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Nezan(m): 11:25am On Jul 21, 2009
dvirgin:

@kech, i think i posted this b4, i actually wanted to do theatre arts which i was offered, the only problem is that i dont have the major requirement (literature), And thats how i found myself in religion. But truly kech i still want to do my first love-theatre arts- its just that i think religion is killing this dream, cos transfering the department is not possible, I'm confused,
come to think of it, I was thinking you were a serious minded person. How can you go in for something you did not like?? May be you can force yourself to like it or quit. The earlier, the better.
Re: B.a(religions), Where Can One Work With It? by Redfox(m): 10:17am On Jul 22, 2009
@poster
Guy are u still on this issue?if it is theater arts u desire then why are u wasting your time in this thread,start making efforts to live your dream,i believe u are no more a kid and if u cannot take sensitive decisions at this stage of your life then u are in for another era of regrets and mistakes.i won't say it thrice go to the counseling and guidance unit.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Maintain Discipline At Work Place / Nigerian Air Force Ranks: Ranks In The Nigerian Airforce / Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.