Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,432 members, 7,954,709 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:41 AM

Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? (7284 Views)

I Was Part Of Retrenched Staffs In 2 Good Jobs Within One Year 2015. (god Why?) / Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by Imoobot(m): 3:54pm On Apr 17, 2012
The fact that banks are using contract staffs in a bid to marginalize their profit ratio this days can not be over emphasize.
Imagine a graduate being hired as a contract worker in most of the new generation banks and paid a peanut as salary. No provissions for allowances except that small pay of less sixty thousand.
Imagine this young men and women coperately dressed but discrimated among the so called core staffs counterpert hence being regarding them as coperate slaves.
I think is high time the government and the employers of labour should call all the agent bodies into order, they should review their salaries or better still aborlish the use of contract staffs in banks. Or what do you think?
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by yamakuza: 7:15pm On Apr 17, 2012
I think its not by force.

1 Like

Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by nitrogen(m): 9:01pm On Apr 17, 2012
yamakuza: I think its not by force.
For real, just that some has got no choice.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by LailaIkeji1: 2:59pm On Apr 18, 2012
yamakuza: I think its not by force.

you hav a very big point there, Yamakuza. as far they are paid above inimum wage and its nt by force, am nt sure govt can do anything. it deeply hurts sha. thats why we shld all striv to not be victims. there are employers paying worse sums to graduates. so you can imagine.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by otokx(m): 3:03pm On Apr 18, 2012
Very viable, 60000 is a lot of money, is it the government that cannot pay 18000?
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by acidtalk: 3:18pm On Apr 18, 2012
Like someone rightly said, the so called Contract staff earn about 4 times what the so called "Confirmed staff" of the Federal Workers earn.

It is so sad that since 1960 till date, we have never had crop of leaders who put the populace welfare and interest before their greed.

I have always argued that all Ministers of Labour Nigeria have ever had are always against the employees. They turn their face the other side allow people slave for employers under terrible working conditions.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Apr 18, 2012
Must you work in a bank? Drivers now earn close to N50k. I mean cant you think of any option, rather than just wearing suit and rope and waiting for customers to drop 100N appreciation or 50N for helping them fill teller. Still working in a bank during this cashlite session? Na waoh! Fast food business is there, Metro Taxi is there, Strip clubs are there, C++ programming is there etc; this is the future of the economy of Nigeria.

You just sit there and wait for b0000bs that will winck at you or an elderly man that will use high falutin language to (dis)engage you at the banking hall. Even the politicians dont need any marketer to come to the hotel to open current, dom or saving account. You are there sweating counting those dirty notes that beggars especially those with leprosy in north (i no mean stereotype) or imbeciles don take settle some unseen gods.You are there, your BM dey chop, dey fat for back! 60kN what can you buy, second class upper and pass jobs, think a way out. You can't work in the Western Money department, where $,pounds or Euros dey xchange hand, try to steal ten naira or make your account no balance (+/-) and you dey sweat like Xmas chicken.

Lately, some banks no even mind, whether na Yoruba or Hausa you graduate with for senior secondary or Uni, they just employ you. I met one in the bulk room today in Zenitt, the guy wore bathroom slippers and his eyes were red like Nigeria Policeman at Iyana Iba.

2 Likes

Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by sharpman1(m): 3:36pm On Apr 18, 2012
Imo obot: The fact that banks are using contract staffs in a bid to marginalize their profit ratio this days can not be over emphasize.
Imagine a graduate being hired as a contract worker in most of the new generation banks and paid a peanut as salary. No provissions for allowances except that small pay of less sixty thousand.
Imagine this young men and women coperately dressed but discrimated among the so called core staffs counterpert hence being regarding them as coperate slaves.
I think is high time the government and the employers of labour should call all the agent bodies into order, they should review their salaries or better still aborlish the use of contract staffs in banks. Or what do you think?

If you are not satisfied with the terms of employment...........then don't take the offer.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by awilologomba(f): 3:49pm On Apr 18, 2012
60K una no go thank GOD,if the money no plenty go steal.Federal government wont do anything.@op u r indirectly govt to look for jobs for graduates.i laff in jukun
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 18, 2012
otokx: Very viable, 60000 is a lot of money, is it the government that cannot pay 18000?
LOL....as if they did not study the employment contract before accepting the offer.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by datrmon(m): 4:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
Imo obot: The fact that banks are using contract staffs in a bid to marginalize their profit ratio this days can not be over emphasize.

We agree it's tough to get a good job but acccepting a contract job from a bank is by choice. Stop complaining and move on
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by jackpot(f): 4:19pm On Apr 18, 2012
Keneking: Must you work in a bank? Drivers now earn close to N50k. I mean cant you think of any option, rather than just wearing suit and rope and waiting for customers to drop 100N appreciation or 50N for helping them fill teller. Still working in a bank during this cashlite session? Na waoh! Fast food business is there, Metro Taxi is there, Strip clubs are there, C++ programming is there etc; this is the future of the economy of Nigeria.

You just sit there and wait for b0000bs that will winck at you or an elderly man that will use high falutin language to (dis)engage you at the banking hall. Even the politicians dont need any marketer to come to the hotel to open current, dom or saving account. You are there sweating counting those dirty notes that beggars especially those with leprosy in north (i no mean stereotype) or imbeciles don take settle some unseen gods.You are there, your BM dey chop, dey fat for back! 60kN what can you buy, second class upper and pass jobs, think a way out. You can't work in the Western Money department, where $,pounds or Euros dey xchange hand, try to steal ten naira or make your account no balance (+/-) and you dey sweat like Xmas chicken.

Lately, some banks no even mind, whether na Yoruba or Hausa you graduate with for senior secondary or Uni, they just employ you. I met one in the bulk room today in Zenitt, the guy wore bathroom slippers and his eyes were red like Nigeria Policeman at Iyana Iba.
lmaooooooooooooooo
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by GboyegaD(m): 4:36pm On Apr 18, 2012
The FG has no right to determine how much they pay provided they pay above minimum wage. The only problem I have is when some staff tend to treat some people wrongly because they feel they are better off and forget that they are just being favored and fortunate. However, I would advise contract staff to be bold and assertive and they should not be intimidated. Things may roll in their favor in the near future at least I witnessed former Bank PHB converting contract staff and I know they did one the week the bank was bought over by AMCON.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by lanrock(m): 5:01pm On Apr 18, 2012
PEOPLE COLLECT THE JOB BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE ALTERNATIVE AND I THINK GOVT SHOULD DO SOMETHING TO THIS. [color=#000099][/color]
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by 2rutalk1: 5:50pm On Apr 18, 2012
It is good to feel for your fellow humans especially in difficult situations. But I have realized that the main reason people look for job is to earn salary and not to add value to their organization. I am not saying that paying peanuts to your workers as salary is good,taking cognizance of the fact that motivation leads to higher productivity. However, I have realized that many Nigerians are not ready to work but to earn salaries at the end of the month. I have worked in different organizations both public and private sectors, and I can authoritatively tell you that some of my colleagues then were mere liabilities to the organization. They cut corners, do all sought of things to avert work but wait till month end to collect salary. And if salary doesn't come immediately, they would be the first to raise alarm.
When I left paid employment and set up my own company, that was when I knew that one of the difficult challenges of running a business is getting the right employees. So many businesses fail these days because of bad employees. During interview session, they will promise you heaven and earth but after two or three months you will start hearing all manner of excuses like, I fell down when I was coming to the office and my cloth stained so I had to go back. I received a phone call yesterday night that I should come for convocation so I had to rush down to my former school. So many flimsy excuses. No permission, nothing and at the end of the month salaries would be paid. If you issue a query, then you a bad man. If you don't your business will crumble within few years.
Therefore, let us also put employers in our own shoes. I never knew all these till I opened my own business. Just interview an ordinary business man in Lagos that has sales boys or sales girls and hear what he/she will have to say. You will equally deal with dishonesty, and lots of sharp practices because an average person in say Lagos wants to make it by all means.It is terrible.

2 Likes

Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by mycvclinic: 8:12pm On Apr 18, 2012
I like this topic...

I don't think it's a good idea to reject a job solely because it is tagged "contract staff". If the job provides you with opportunities to learn and develop yourself, accept it.

I'm not saying money is not important but it shouldn't be a sole concern.

However, always ensure you are at the right place. No need "enduring" in a place where you are not developing the right skills. For instance if you're an engineer, it won't be the best idea to get stuck in a low paying marketing job (I don't see much gain there for you).

Sadly, most of us don't see beyond banks. There are small firms relevant to your career path out there that may offer you similar pay and even better experience.

Meanwhile, I know of a couple of Accounting Firms that pay entry level "permanent staff" less than N50,000 and their salary is normally owed. At the end of the month they may only receive about N30,000 of that sum. People remain on such jobs mainly for the experience. Of course, this is exploitation but when you look at the rate of unemployment in this country, you can tell that employers are simply having a filled day.

What bothers me is seeing people accept such jobs and get frustrated without a willingness to learn some skills and move on.

I'd gladly take a job with low pay if there is the opportunity to learn something really new and relevant. It will help me move on and up.

That said, I support your opinion on the need for labour to wake up on these issues. Sadly, given that they go on strike to ask for increment of as little as N1,000 to their already appalling minimum wage rate, help may be really far.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by jossy26: 8:44pm On Apr 18, 2012
@keneking; easy now, I actually envy those guys on suits and ties oo,
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by Wallie(m): 9:46pm On Apr 18, 2012
There is a public policy argument to be made for the FG limiting the use of contract workers because employers use contract workers as a way of bypassing employment laws. Contractors are cheaper. However, there are also actual business needs for using a contract worker.

In the US, you cannot just call someone an Independent Contractor, as opposed to an employee, unless certain conditions are met.

Five-factor test concerning appropriate characterization of employee, independent contractor
1. The right to control the means and manner of performance – an employer cannot control when a contractor comes to work or how the work is performed.

2. The mode of payment – you cannot just pay them like a regular employee.

3. The furnishing of tools and materials – most contractors usually provide their own tools.

4. Control over the premises where the work was done – the more control an employer has over an employee, the more likely it will be determined that they have an employer-employee relationship

5. The right of discharge
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by zainabusman: 10:57am On Feb 18, 2013
I WAS ONCE EMPLOYED AS A CONTRACT STAFF IN BANK, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS. ITS PURE EXPLOITATION AND NOTHING ELSE.
Re: Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? by zainabusman: 11:01am On Feb 18, 2013
THOUGH I HAVE READ THE CONTARCT, BUT I GAVE MYSELF RESIGNATION DATE.ALL THESE IS THE PROBLEM OF FED GOVT, BY NOT EMPLOYING CITIZENS,PRIVATE ORG SEEK FOR CHEAP LABOUR. POOR NIGERIA, MY COUNTRY.

(1) (Reply)

I Caught My Colleagues Stealing / I Am Confused - Job Satisfaction Or Renumeration? / When Someone Impersonates You, Fakes & Works With Your Credentials ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.