Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,229 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 (15422 Views)

Are You Interested In Farming This Year? / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Final Lap Of Cassava Farming For 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by kennykg(m): 3:09am On Mar 17, 2016
I wouldn't mind if anyone can train me am currently in Ogun state
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by caesaraba(m): 7:10am On Apr 01, 2016
kennykg:

I studied computer science and currently working for a major telecommunications company and I wish I studied agriculture, if only you know how much I do believe in agriculture you just a gold mine yourself. .. I don't mind if you can coach me or trade places

Exactly. I'm a Builder, however after studying the rice value chain, this year I got 20 hectares to start my rice farm. Agric is the sure way to go.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Pavore9: 8:05am On Apr 01, 2016
caesaraba:

Exactly. I'm a Builder, however after studying the rice value chain, this year I got 20 hectares to start my rice farm. Agric is the sure way to go.

Do make sure you acquire a harvester and a thresher, anything outside these would make no sense as manual labour will be a waste of money.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by caesaraba(m): 10:19am On Apr 01, 2016
Pavore9:

Do make sure you acquire a harvester and a thresher, anything outside these would make no sense as manual labour will be a waste of money.

Okay sir. Will plow the land this weekend (starting today) with a tractor. I hope to acquire a thresher before harvest as I do not like the method the villagers use (beating with sticks). As for the harvester, I saw a video on YouTube of hand-held ones similar to those hand-held mowers used for cutting grass. Shouldn't be too expensive hopefully. Any more pointers?
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Pavore9: 11:55am On Apr 01, 2016
caesaraba:

Okay sir. Will plow the land this weekend (starting today) with a tractor. I hope to acquire a thresher before harvest as I do not like the method the villagers use (beating with sticks). As for the harvester, I saw a video on YouTube of hand-held ones similar to those hand-held mowers used for cutting grass. Shouldn't be too expensive hopefully. Any more pointers?

Those hand-held ones should no cost beyond $200. I recall posting a video of it being used in one thread. The thresher can be sourced locally. Where is your farm located?
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by caesaraba(m): 12:38pm On Apr 01, 2016
Pavore9:

Those hand-held ones should no cost beyond $200. I recall posting a video of it being used in one thread. The thresher can be sourced locally. Where is your farm located?

Makurdi, Benue state.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Pavore9: 4:05pm On Apr 01, 2016
caesaraba:

Makurdi, Benue state.

Do check out with your state's Agricultural Development Programme office, they should be in a position to link you up with local fabricators of threshers because the Anambra State's office did help link us up with a fabricator in Awka.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by caesaraba(m): 4:14pm On Apr 01, 2016
Pavore9:

Do check out with your state's Agricultural Development Programme office, they should be in a position to link you up with local fabricators of threshers because the Anambra State's office did help link us up with a fabricator in Awka.
ok thanks.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by derbybliz(m): 7:45am On Apr 02, 2016
Have been reading Comments on this Thread and am very happy for the kind of people here...I see a very bright future for this country's Agricultural sector. Threads like this will go a long way in gathering greats minds. Keep up the good work everyone
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by annamaria: 4:42pm On May 07, 2016
fatytoy333:
Its a laudable project to embark on. Each time I travel through the Oje fruit market at Ibadan, it grieves me to see the effort of our farmers being Wasted everyday.

I process fruits for fresh juice in Lagos. How can I get fresh fruit from this market? What are their prices like compared to Mile 12 market?
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by annamaria: 4:56pm On May 07, 2016
jasper7:
I want to quit farming this year... I want to go into processing and marketing of food products. I want to manage farmers. Not because farming is not profitable but because some really good farmers I know are suffering. Really suffering. And that is not down to the abundance of food but because they lack the right management practises. It's a big problem and I want to put in my quota in solving it.

I have been restless for a while now. Very restless. Nigeria's economy is sinking with the price of oil.

Statistics show that Nigeria spent 35billion dollars on food importation in 2015. And made a meagre 350 million from food exportation. This is a serious problem. Nigeria is in Trouble

I am speculating that more Nigerians will die of hunger than boko haram's terrorism in the next 10 years if we do not save our economy.

How can we save this economy of ours... There are areas of agriculture that is sweeping in foreign exchange for the country on a daily basis. And there are other areas that we can close up shop. And stop sending our precious cash abroad.

I have been doing some research. I think every well meaning farmer irrespective of his farming interests should have a level of export product to gain some foreign exchange.

We can turn this economic problem to our favour. We can make it the best thing that has happened to us. Believe me, a lot of attention will be transferred to people with exportable product. Considering that Nigeria is desperately scrambling for ways to revive its economy.

Let's set up plantations, farm settlements an farm estates for exportable products.

Hotmas911 already caught the vision as he is setting up a cashew plantation in ogbomosho (Land of Cashew ).

With this I have tried to streamline what I will do in 2016.

When I saw the topic my heart skipped a beat until I read through the vision. I have actually been stumped by the amount of wasted agricultural produce, hence my foray into fresh juice processing.

The way forward will not just be fresh produce outlets, though that will help massively. There's need to be innovative and think long term preservation like drying, mincing, juicing etc. The market is huge and growing by leaps and bounds and demand is escalating. Meeting long term and future demand is crucial.

Look at tomatoes for example. What I bought for a thousand naira yesterday is what I would normally buy for 300 naira in January/February. Imagine if there was some innovative way to preserve tomatoes.

Onions is another case in point. I heard about 60% goes to waste every year in Nigeria.

Hopefully we will wake up to the potential for food processing in Nigeria.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by iyomomo(f): 8:59am On May 17, 2016
Jasper7 please do u sell coco peat? Or can u help me with where to get? Thanks
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by mrintelligent(m): 7:40pm On May 27, 2016
@Jasper7 and other big Bosses in the agric business should please come to my aid.

I have 2 acres of land on which I intend to plant GINGER. Kindly advise me how profitable it is. And if it is not, advise on another thing to plant that will be more profitable.

Is/are there any other things I can plant alongside with the ginger? (I mean interplanting)

Waiting for your candid advice.

My location is Suleja-Abuja.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by rapmike(m): 12:13am On May 28, 2016
Another big problem Nigeria needs to tackle is food processing.
I recently bought about 8 Onions for 50 bucks on my street. The woman simply gave it out because it usually get spoilt due to low demand and excess supply.
Just two months ago, this same woman sold three miserly Onions at the same price.

Same goes for pepper and tomatoes. You cannot imagine how much gets rotten even during shipment from the various farms.

That to me is a huge waste.

Sorry to budge in late, but you also mentioned another problem which is food storage. I am sure you will see food processing and storage as the same thing, but the truth is that while the like of tomatoes and chicken can be accepted in a processed form, the likes of yam and potatos will be harder to be acceptable as a processed commodity.

Not everyone likes potato chips and yam chips is not thinkable for now. I am surethere are other foodstuff that suffer for lack of proper storage facilities.

What do you think We can do about this?
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by grace2all: 11:53am On Jun 12, 2016
Its good to find people who think like this. I have also being working on this recently. How far have you gone. Would not mind chatting further. grace2ally2k@yahoo. com
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by obstead200(m): 6:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
Newway2:

I also doubt the workability of this plan because of the peculiar nature of Nigeria farmers. They will simply take your trainings, inputs e.t.c, use it for a while & abandon you. Go & ask Guinness PLC, Lever Brothers (& other companies that have tried it in the past) why they had to have their onw farm or import their agricultural needs.
I think this issue can be avoided by signing forward contract with the farmers to buy their produce at a stated price, better than what they would have realised by selling their produce to other marketers
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Oloogunebi3: 1:41pm On Jun 14, 2016
How Come @jasper7 Has Not Posted On This Forum Since February? Do You Know The Number Of Lives You Are Affecting Positively? Hope You Are Not Being Discouraged By Some Negativity Springing Up Here and there, You(We) Need Them As Well. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Oloogunebi3: 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2016
A Journey Of A Thousand Miles They Say, Starts With One Step, Start Somewhere And See The Vision Blossom.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by jasper7(m): 1:18am On Jun 20, 2016
Oloogunebi3:
How Come @jasper7 Has Not Posted On This Forum Since February? Do You Know The Number Of Lives You Are Affecting Positively? Hope You Are Not Being Discouraged By Some Negativity Springing Up Here and there, You(We) Need Them As Well. Cheers!
You can't imagine what it means coming online to read your comment... It means a lot. Work and trainings have not let me post as often as I would want. But it is good that my posts inspired people. That's all it was meant to do... And the success stories of those who followed my posta come in through mails, whatsapp, texts and calls. I feel a great level of fulfilment from every success story.

I really needed this your comment at this time... so, thanks

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Segzie8180: 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2016
I need your contact details. I will like to have a conversation with you. My email is globalapogeeltd@gmail.com and my number is 08053268551
jasper7:
I want to quit farming this year... I want to go into processing and marketing of food products. I want to manage farmers. Not because farming is not profitable but because some really good farmers I know are suffering. Really suffering. And that is not down to the abundance of food but because they lack the right management practises. It's a big problem and I want to put in my quota in solving it.

I have been restless for a while now. Very restless. Nigeria's economy is sinking with the price of oil.

Statistics show that Nigeria spent 35billion dollars on food importation in 2015. And made a meagre 350 million from food exportation. This is a serious problem. Nigeria is in Trouble

I am speculating that more Nigerians will die of hunger than boko haram's terrorism in the next 10 years if we do not save our economy.

How can we save this economy of ours... There are areas of agriculture that is sweeping in foreign exchange for the country on a daily basis. And there are other areas that we can close up shop. And stop sending our precious cash abroad.

I have been doing some research. I think every well meaning farmer irrespective of his farming interests should have a level of export product to gain some foreign exchange.

We can turn this economic problem to our favour. We can make it the best thing that has happened to us. Believe me, a lot of attention will be transferred to people with exportable product. Considering that Nigeria is desperately scrambling for ways to revive its economy.

Let's set up plantations, farm settlements an farm estates for exportable products.

Hotmas911 already caught the vision as he is setting up a cashew plantation in ogbomosho (Land of Cashew ).

I'll be sharing them in 2 posts. You are welcome to partner, copy, criticize (constructively) or give your own view point or idea to improve what I already have.

Cc My big bro pavore9, Kalusam, hotmas911.

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by SenseiAri: 6:05am On Jul 24, 2016
May God continue to bless you!

jasper7:

You can't imagine what it means coming online to read your comment... It means a lot. Work and trainings have not let me post as often as I would want. But it is good that my posts inspired people. That's all it was meant to do... And the success stories of those who followed my posta come in through mails, whatsapp, texts and calls. I feel a great level of fulfilment from every success story.

I really needed this your comment at this time... so, thanks
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Trippledots(m): 10:21am On Jul 31, 2016
egopersonified:
Wow, thanks to nairaland, I planned on starting a small poultry. Then the borders were closed last year to frozen chicken and I got the idea to source locally bred chicken and process them. I discovered there were Farms that sell already dressed chicken, that was how I started my processing, packaging, branding and distribution business. Right now, this business pays all I and my three kids' bills, my salary untouched. And I am only working at this with 5% of my time. Have being tempted to resign but family and friends keep telling me it's too early to take that step.

are you serious?? pls hw can I contact you? will like to knw hw you started
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by tbharr: 12:18pm On Jan 25, 2017
[quote author=jasper7 post=42440876]I want to quit farming this year... I want to go into processing and marketing of food products. I want to manage farmers. Not because farming is not profitable but because some really good farmers I know are suffering. Really suffering. And that is not down to the abundance of food but because they lack the right management practises. It's a big problem and I want to put in my quota in solving it.

I'll be sharing them in 2 posts. You are welcome to partner, copy, criticize (constructively) or give your own view point or idea to improve what I already have.

[/quote[color=#000099][/color]
Jasper7 I would like to talk 2 u about cucumber farming cud u pls contact me on 08032257931.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by PreciousFarms: 11:21pm On Jan 25, 2017
SACELPRECIOUS FARMS LIMITED:
ng capacity per day.

GRAPIDO BULLETIN
* Application is Free, registration Start on 21st January, 2017.
* Applicants farmers Forum Meeting on 4th February, 2017.
* Farmlands Payments Begins on 6th February, 2017.
* Farmland Clearing, Mechanization & Farmland Visitation on 11th February, 2017.
* Farmers Day & Collection of Customized Farm Signpost on 14th February, 2017.
* Planting of Crops Start off on 1st March, 2017.

The SFL & GRAPIDO total Package is affordable....!
VISION
To Pioneer in strengthening agriculture infrastructure and promote commercial cluster farming and agro-food processing as a dynamic agribusiness venture
MISSION
To make positive difference to farmers of Nigeria, through agribusiness that meets international standards, aiming at tap the true potential of agriculture, industries, Foods, bio-fuels and their value addition business and turn into a win-win situation for the stake holders in the agro-food supply chain especially the farmers, SME's and end users.

You are permitted to have more than one slot of minimum of 4ha.
Interested Farmers, Agric Industrial Investors, Cooperate bodies and individual should call or Whatsapp the Regional coordinator
FOR MORE INFO AND REGISTRATION CONTACT
+234 807 466 0338, +234 906 490 8881,
+234 812 737 3665, +234 909 551 2400,
0803 392 3458.
N.B Please this offer is for prepared minded serious people only.
POWERED: SACELPRECIOUS FARMS LIMITED RC:1282193
CHIEF DEVELOPER: MR. STANLEY ADIM ENYI, B.AGRIC.
Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by meshack15: 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
Great Idea bro.I am keying into this your idea,especially in the setting up of hygienic food outlets
jasper7:

1 Like

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Preprobiotics: 9:18pm On Jun 25, 2017
Molasses and Lactobacillus Serum for Livestock, Poultry and Home Use
Undiluted Organic Molasses for Strong Nutritional Value with many Health Benefits. Lactobachillus a Superb Growth Booster for Livestock, Poultry and Fish Farming, Also an effective Foul ODOUR Removal for Farms, Households, Dust Bins,Sewage, etc.
Call: 08121790440
Price from =N=1,500

Re: Why I Want To Quit Farming This Year And My Plan For 2016 by Ltherman(m): 1:46pm On Aug 14, 2021
This is pure bliss for me. @jasper7 and pavore i hope this vision is still very much alive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Poultry Chronic Respiratory Disease Treatment / Hybrid Maize Seed Available / Bad Roads Affecting The Sales Of Farm Produce [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.