Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Is Ugu Farming This Useless? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? (11091 Views)

Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis / Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Ugu Farming On A Two Plot Of Land. How Profitable? (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2017
Dear Farmers

I planted a plot of ugu 60 x 100 feet and they actually did well. My wife brought some people to harvest/buy at first cut and everything came to N10,000. We spent about N100,000 on this project.

It is so disheartening and discouraging. Is this how it is at first cut? My farm is fully fenced around Ifo?
How do i go about it the next time?

I feel so sad now

Any suggestion on how to add fertilizer and market at the next cut?

cc @FarmTech
@Pavore9
@jasper7
@world1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by ipobarecriminals: 5:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
sad go do research. Those farmers around iba/Lasu(u can visit them).May God replenish ur pocket. Dnt give up. E gi beta

2 Likes

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by stagger: 5:50pm On Oct 12, 2017
dewale1234:
Dear Farmers

I planted a plot of ugu 60 x 100 feet and they actually did well. My wife brought some people to harvest/buy at first cut and everything came to N10,000. We spent about N100,000 on this project.

It is so disheartening and discouraging. Is this how it is at first cut? My farm is fully fenced around Ifo?

I feel so sad now

cc @FarmTech
@Pavore9
@jasper7
@world1

I am not an ugu farmer but I thought I read somewhere that ugu replenishes itself in 2 weeks and it can continue that way for some time, thus you can make money every 2 weeks from existing plants. My info may most likely be wrong. Like I said, I am not an ugu farmer.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by apakoso2020: 6:16pm On Oct 12, 2017
dewale1234:
Dear Farmers

I feel so sad now

cc @FarmTech
@Pavore9
@jasper7
@world1
it happened like that because those you brought to buy weighed you and found out that you know little or nothing about Ugu marketing, they also studied the settings of your plantation and observed that you are a paper farmer, hence they cheated you. another time, go to joju near sango otta, register as an Ugu farmer, then start from there.

13 Likes

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 6:48pm On Oct 12, 2017
apakoso2020:
it happened like that because those you brought to buy weighed you and found out that you know little or nothing about Ugu marketing, they also studied the settings of your plantation and observed that you are a paper farmer, hence they cheated you. another time, go to joju near sango otta, register as an Ugu farmer, then start from there.

Thanks and God bless you. Please do you have the their contact or exact location?
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Fish4wealth: 7:09pm On Oct 12, 2017
First, dont be discouraged....you probably had not done more research on marketing and sales....their are few methods of sales....pampa, kilo, bundle, etc....
You should have found out which is obtainable in your location and pricing....
Secondly, if you understand how well to manage it after your first cut...if they actualy cut well...you are likely every three weeks to reharvest much more till you decide to leave it for pod development or strictly leaves..,
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by NextDayPP: 7:35pm On Oct 12, 2017
@apakoso
pls where can I get NPK in 4 liter measurement (Ike oda) in Sango. I will be around there tomorrow. thank you.

Now to the poser, can you pls tell us in detail how you spent 100k on a plot of land. In as much as I agree the buyers took advantage of you, 100k is a lot to spend on one plot.

apakoso2020:
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by DEBJOCH1(m): 7:53pm On Oct 12, 2017
farm buyers are killer, same this is applicable to cat fish buyer, they will come to to make your product look as if it's useless, as if you don't sell to them that will be a hell to you.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 12, 2017
I think you have done fairly well. I congratulate you. Why? At least, you got production right. Now, try to do what you should have done earlier which is to know when to plant Ugu in your area.

When should you plant ugu? It is when other farmers are not planting ugu. And then, ask yourself, why don't they plant ugwu at that time?

To make most veggie profitable, you must solve at least a problem. Find a solution to why they don't plant at certain period of the year.

For example: Tomato does not like too much water. Too many diseases to fight at this time. During heavy rainy season, it must be expensive. So, what can you do to bring out your tomato around this time. Some farmers harvest very close to heavy rainy season to make some reasonable profit, though may not be the best sales. Some take a bigger risk that there will not be heavy rain at that time and knowing fully well that most farmers will run away from cultivating it at the time. If there is heavy rain, they lose big. And if there isnt heavy rain, they win very big.

Back to ugwu, it seems you might need to cultivate it when there is no more rain and when the sun is terribly hot. Solution might be to get irrigation on your farm.

Next, try to know the nearest main market you can easily sell your product. Never allow buyers come to your farm as they will cheat you. Here is the trick. You must know how big your farm should be to compensate for logistics (transportation to market, police tips, area boys tips, car park fee, etc). Else, you will run at loss. If it is one acre that can easily give you a decent breakeven with some nice profit and you cultivate just one plot, you are in soup.

Fertilization:
Ugu is a not a fruit plant; hence, you need more urea if you are an inorganic farmer plus little NPK and micro nutrients. So, side dress each plant with 3/4 bottled water cap of urea plus 1/4 bottled water cap of NPK every month, immediately after harvest.

If you are an organic farmer, use fish water waste (from fish pond), fermented fish waste, green fertilizers etc that are all with substantial nitrogen plus side dress with dried manure or compost frequently.

Note: The above recommendation is for small scale farmers. If you want to practice agric, do it well. Get your plan intact and know your breakeven limit. Do not consult any of those internet guys. Consult farmers and traders in the market. Then, talk to drivers who will take your products to market. Understand how the market in your area works and add some additional cash for miscelaneous expense.

Anyday, anytime, i favor drip irrigation as my first tool on the farm. No drip, no farming. It is the honest truth you must not run away from. You will just be like other farmers who keep complaining every second about being poor if you do not take irrigation serious. And leave ugu alone during rainy season. Let farmers who cannot buy irrigation kits struggle among themselves during this period. May you not work in vain again. Blessings!

46 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 8:16pm On Oct 12, 2017
fluentinfor:
I think you have done fairly well. I congratulate you. Why? At least, you got production right. Now, try to do what you should have done earlier which is to know when to plant Ugu in your area.

When should you plant ugu? It is when other farmers are not planting ugu. And then, ask yourself, why don't they plant ugwu at that time?

To make most veggie profitable, you must solve at least a problem. Find a solution to why they don't plant at certain period of the year.

For example: Tomato does not like too much water. Too many diseases to fight at this time. During heavy rainy season, it must be expensive. So, what can you do to bring out your tomato around this time. Some farmers harvest very close to heavy rainy season to make some reasonable profit, though may not be the best sales. Some take a bigger risk that there will not be heavy rain at that time and knowing fully well that most farmers will run away from cultivating it at the time. If there is heavy rain, they lose big. And if there isnt heavy rain, they win very big.

Back to ugwu, it seems you might need to cultivate it when there is no more rain and when the sun is terribly hot. Solution might be to get irrigation on your farm.

Next, try to know the nearest main market you can easily sell your product. Never allow buyers come to your farm as they will cheat you. Here is the trick. You must know how big your farm should be to compensate for logistics (transportation to market, police tips, area boys tips, car park fee, etc). Else, you will run at loss. If it is one acre that can easily give you a decent breakeven with some nice profit and you cultivate just one plot, you are in soup.

Fertilization:
Ugu is a not a fruit plant; hence, you need more urea if you are an inorganic farmer plus little NPK and micro nutrients. So, side dress each plant with 3/4 bottled water cap of urea plus 1/4 bottled water cap of NPK every month, immediately after harvest.

If you are an organic farmer, use fish water waste (from fish pond), fermented fish waste, green fertilizers etc that are all with substantial nitrogen plus side dress with dried manure or compost frequently.

Note: The above recommendation is for small scale farmers. If you want to practice agric, do it well. Get your plan intact and know your breakeven limit. Do not consult any of those internet guys. Consult farmers and traders in the market. Then, talk to drivers who will take your products to market. Understand how the market in your area works and add some additional cash for miscelaneous expense.

Anyday, anytime, i favor drip irrigation as my first tool on the farm. No drip, no farming. It is the honest truth you must not run away from. You will just be like other farmers who keep complaining every second about being poor if you do not take irrigation serious. And leave ugu alone during rainy season. Let farmers who cannot buy irrigation kits struggle among themselves during this period. May you not work in vain again. Blessings!

Thank you
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 8:19pm On Oct 12, 2017
NextDayPP:
@apakoso
pls where can I get NPK in 4 liter measurement (Ike oda) in Sango. I will be around there tomorrow. thank you.

Now to the poser, can you pls tell us in detail how you spent 100k on a plot of land. In as much as I agree the buyers took advantage of you, 100k is a lot to spend on one plot.

Thank you. It was the same woman who brought the buyer that got the seeds for me @ 60K. 12 paints buckets @ 5K each
She collected 20K for planting
I paid N20k for clearing and ridge making

To the other enquirer, i have a bore hole on my farm. I didn't use fertiliser at all, i plan to go organic
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Chikach: 8:21pm On Oct 12, 2017
Following
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 13, 2017
dewale1234:
Dear Farmers

I feel so sad now

cc @FarmTech
@Pavore9
@jasper7
@world1
You have become father Christmas to spend N100,000 in a 540 Square metres of leafy vegetable farm. Bros they chop you big time.

4 Likes

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by kagari: 9:29am On Oct 13, 2017
apakoso2020:

https://www.nairaland.com/4104935/general-market-food-price-weekly
Give me a contact of the ugu union, so that I can contact them. I am far from sango now
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by kagari: 9:35am On Oct 13, 2017
fluentinfor:

Fertilization:

Seems you have first hand info about ugu farming

Come update your price here

https://www.nairaland.com/4104935/general-market-food-price-weekly
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dragon2(m): 9:59am On Oct 15, 2017
dewale1234:

Thank you. It was the same woman who brought the buyer that got the seeds for me @ 60K. 12 paints buckets @ 5K each

To the other enquirer, i have a bore hole on my farm. I didn't use fertiliser at all, i plan to go organic

This is disheartening, 20k to plant one plot? Was it rocket science?20k for clearing and ridging/plot? Wow.
I was arguing with a labourer to ridge my ugu plot for 2.5k and we settled at 3k.Do you know that 20k is a month salary in some places and day pay for labourers ranges between 2k and 3k?
Clearing a very bushy plot should not be more than 5k,and that is 100x100 feet.

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dragon2(m): 10:05am On Oct 15, 2017
Also,as an above poster said,a cut is every 2 weeks and the ugu gets more vibrant and grows more branches as you cut provided you feed it with fertiliser.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by bfmconcepts: 4:34pm On Oct 16, 2017
Don't be quick to count losses
This is the first cut and the plants are still alive.
Try and irrigate adequately and make sure your soil is fertile
Also, let experienced people cut it. it will grow more leaves to sell
finally, it will fruit and you sell the seed
come back to nairaland and let's know how it goes
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by opelyem(m): 7:59pm On Oct 16, 2017
dewale1234:

20k for planting on a plot? That woman is wicked. With 20k I will pay labourers that will plant 5 acres of cassava. I guess it is your first time of business. Please and please, whenever you are doing any business that will make use of labourers, make sure you are aggressive.
Again, did you have a canopy on top of the ugwu plant?
The fee you paid for the seed is also too much. From just two stands of ugwu in our backyard, we get a bucket full of the seeds. We don't even use fertilizer. Bro, please don't give up. Try again.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Praktikals(m): 10:39am On Oct 17, 2017
opelyem:

From just two stands of ugwu in our backyard, we get a bucket full of the seeds.
Boss, is it possible to get more than one pods from one ugu plant?
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by opelyem(m): 1:35pm On Oct 17, 2017
Praktikals:

Boss, is it possible to get more than one pods from one ugu plant?

Yes. From two stands in our backyard, I harvested 5 this year. It should be more if not for our neighbors that pluck the ugwu carelessly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by FarmTech(m): 3:44pm On Oct 17, 2017
Good advice so far. Forget the past but don't let it repeat itself.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Atlanticfire: 4:45pm On Oct 17, 2017
Next time try not to spend more than 10k on a plot of ugu.

You did father Christmas to all the people involved in the setting up of the farm.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Paulordiah(m): 6:02am On Oct 18, 2017
clearly ugu is not useless you got every step wrong
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by toyclicks: 11:43am On Oct 24, 2017
Pls how much is it to register for the ugu association
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 4:25pm On Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all your comments. I have started weeding, please what type of fertilizer should i buy and where can i get it? Also what do i do to get pods for the next planting season

Thanks
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by gabe: 7:39pm On Oct 27, 2017
na wa o. how did you end up spending N100k on a plot of land? My guess is you paid heavily to lease the land because ugu seeds, ploughing, weeding and fertilizer shouldn't cost you that much. All the same, I commend your efforts and I believe you are poised to do better next time due to your experience. Kudos to you and all new farmers. Thanks for your bravery.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 3:19pm On Nov 04, 2017
Thanks House. God bless you all. We did apply fertilizer last week and to my surprise, they have come up again and we may be harvesting in a week's time max., but we have insect marks on the leaves, please what insecticide do we apply so as not to reduce the market quality of the leaves. Thanks
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by FarmTech(m): 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2017
There are a lot of insecticides in the MKT - ddvp, lambda y'all the in etc. But allow about 1wk to pass b/4 u harvest to avoid too much residue.

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dnapstar(m): 9:06am On Nov 05, 2017
Goodday Guys, Please i have a plot of fenced land, slightly swampy with a source of a borehole nearby, I plan to plant UGU and this is my first time. How do i go about it, so i dont make the same mistake. The land is located in suleja area Niger state. Please i need all the help and advice i can get, i had tried fish farming in the past and it was poor as i spend a total of NGN 256,280.00 on 2000 fingerlings and made NGN 188,640.00 (ALL expenses was documented in excel) in 2015. I determined to try farming again and would like to try UGU farming this season. Thank you in advance.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 6:32pm On Nov 19, 2017
Hello House
My Ugu is ready for another round of harvest o. Any buyer around sango - ifo axis. It's a full 60*100 feet plot and they did very well. Please link me up with serious buyers.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by FarmTech(m): 10:00pm On Nov 19, 2017
Congrats op. I hope it is not that useless.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland's No.1 Rice Producer. 1,000 bags of rice. From now to March 2017 / How Access Bank Is Revitalising Agric Sector With Agriculture Desk / What Every Snail Farmer Must Know About The AM, AA & The AF Types Of Snails

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.