Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements (3397 Views)

Daniel, The Tallest Corper At Enugu NYSC Orientation Camp (Photos) / 9 Types Of Corpers You Meet At NYSC Orientation Camp / Female Corper Survives Horrific Accident On Her Way To Orientation Camp (Graphic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements by ikenwa4lyf: 11:16pm On Jan 29, 2016
Have you received your NYSC call up letter or has the NYSC mobilization list being pasted on your University’s announcement board and your name is on that list, I would like to congratulate and welcome you into a new reality. A reality of service to your fatherland.

I wrote this post with the experience I gathered as a youth corper and I believe it will help you understand what NYSC means, the requirements and things you would need to use at the NYSC orientation camp.

NYSC means National Youth Service Corp and it is a compulsory one year service you would have to render to your father land when you finish your Bachelor’s degree in the University. It is divided into three batches: NYSC Batch A, B, and C.

For prospective corps members. Below are few Important tips on how to prepare for service to your fatherland.
How To Prepare For NYSC Orientation Camp

The NYSC Orientation Camp programme duration is 21 full days. The 21st day is the day you will leave the camp to your PPA (Place Of Primary Assignment). Once you see your name in the NYSC mobilization list, ensure that you do the following:

1. If you are posted to a far state, especially to the northern part of Nigeria, try and find friends, who may be heading towards the same direction. This help you feel relaxed and comfortable on your trip.

2. Ensure you buy your NYSC kit early to avoid last minute rush. The prices of NYSC kit tends to increase when the news of respective NYSC batches is out. You might be wondering why you would need extra white shirts, shorts, tennis and socks at the camp. This is because the ones provided at the orientation camps are of inferior quality and are useless.

3. Get the following documents and items ready. We listed the compulsory and optional items according to their preferences.

IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS YOU WOULD NEED AT THE NYSC ORIENTATION CAMP
a. Statement of Result, WAEC/NECO, JAMB Admission Letter (original copies)
b. Valid School ID Card
c. Enough passport photographs about 50 copies.
d. Call-Up Letter (Please do not laminate your call up letter as you can be expelled from the camp)
e. A file (To carry the items above)

NB: You are expected to get 20 photocopies each of items A,B, and D above. It might be more or less.

As for the optional and convenience items, You would them to avoid “borrow me” syndrome. Things like toiletries, towels, sponge, provisions, bed sheet, mosquito net, cardigan and cash. Trust me, the mosquitoes and cold are not friendly. Below are the optional and convenience items

OPTIONAL ITEMS TO FACILITATE YOUR SCREENING AND STAY AT CAMP

a. Stapler, two packets of pins and office gum (You will use this as you register)

b. Three white T-shirts and shorts. As said earlier, you will be given two sets but of inferior quality.

c. Two or three pairs of socks and a white rubber tennis shoes (for rainy days)

d. Bathroom slippers, mosquito net, sponge, soap and detergent, bed-sheet and Dettol

e. Two plastic buckets (buy it in the camp, to save you from carrying much load on your journey)

f. You would need enough money like N50,000 at hand and your ATM card. That was during my time. it might increase due to the economic situation of the country.

4. Before you make your trip, make sure you phone is fully charged and maybe even keep an extra battery to always be in touch with family

5. Small rechargeable travel light.

NB To make your stay at the orientation camp smooth and more comfortable, travel to the state you were posted early especially for those posted to a far state. It is best you go the day before the camp opens as going late will make the registration stressful for you.
Things To Expect Within the NYSC Orientation Camp

As soon as you enter the gate of your various orientation camps, you will see enough uniformed men. Your screening starts at the gate. Of course, you might be afraid, but just follow orders.
1. Thorough search

Your loads would be searched thoroughly as they don’t want any weapons or prohibited items like iron, knives, bombs, etc. within the camp
2. Registration

Usually, the first registration is normally for hostel/bedspace. You would be given tags to identify with. Do not misplace your tags as they would be collected at the place where you will collect your foam. Other registrations at the NYSC orientation camp will follow. Provide all necessary documents asked of you. Strictly follow instructions.
3. Your NYSC Kits

You will be given all your NYSC kits during the registration phase. They include shirts, shorts and shoes. To avoid stealing and for proper identification, use a permanent marker to write your Code Number (CN) on them. This Code Number is your temporary ID card that you will use in your stay at the camp. Without this CN, you cannot eat the free food offered in the camp.
4. Casual Wears will not be allowed

When you get your kits, only your white T-shirt, white shorts, white socks and white tennis shoe will be allowed for the 21 days in the orientation camp. Although, there may be times where you might put on your full NYSC kit i.e the Uniform itself.
5. Regimented Programme/Parade

If you are the type that wakes up late, you would have to adjust as you would have to wake up as early as 3:30am, so as to get prepared. A trumpet wakes you at 4am. Everyone would be expected to assemble at the parade ground by 4:30am. Praises and worship for different religions (Christians and Islam) will be said.

At 7am, you have your breakfast. You can choose not to eat the food given free at the camp or go to the mammy market and eat a more balanced diet. After breakfast, you will be called out again for the series of fitness and Skill Acquisition Entrepreneurship Programmes (SAED). After the programme, your take your lunch. You will be given some time to rest before another evening parade and then, your dinner. This will continue everyday until you leave the orientation camp.
6. Your allowance a.k.a Allawe

Unless it has been increased, your first allowance will be N19, 800 which will be given to you in cash at the NYSC camp. and it will be in cash. You will also get Bicycle Allowance. This N19,800 will continue until you finish service. Some might collect state allawee, that’s if you are lucky. Spend wisely
7. Place Of Primary Assignment (PPA)

Your PPA is where you will be posted to do your work. Most Corpers will be posted to primary schools and secondary schools, few will be posted to the state capital and other places. Do not lobby or bribe anyone for your posting, especially the ladies. Just pray to God for a good PPA. Receive your PPA in good faith. After all, youths obey the clarion call under the sun or in the rain.
8. Always do your clearance

NYSC clearance should be taken seriously by all youth corp members. You would have to do this before you go home. It is very important because it registers you as a NYSC youth corper in the local government you were posted. Failure to complete your clearance before going home would see your subsequent monthly allowance/allawee not being recieved

Hope you understand the process on how to prepare for NYSC now. Share to others if you find this piece informative.

http://www.nigerianinfopedia.com/nysc-orientation-camp-how-to-prepare-for-nysc-youth-service/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements by Kingsasian(m): 11:19pm On Jan 29, 2016
Nice info. Thanks op.
Re: NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements by ikenwa4lyf: 11:21pm On Jan 29, 2016
You are welcome
Re: NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements by juliuscarter(m): 12:35am On Jan 30, 2016
Good info...kudos!
What if i decide to work somewhere else for my PPA. will it affect me? Because my uncle want me to work in his firm, or is there anyway i can request nysc to post me to a particular firm that wants me?
Re: NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements by Donpizzle(m): 1:08am On Jan 30, 2016
Gone are the dayz of manual registration in camp.evrytin now is computer based. In otherwords, u don't need much passport as stated above by OP. Here are some modification to what OP posted
1- 16 passport is enuf because you wil need some for clearance at your PPA
2-no need for photocopies of ur statement of result,waec and jamb. Its already In their database.
3-stapler, and office pin may not be allowed in the orientation camp. U can find that in the biznes centres inside the camp
4- 5 photocopy of ur call up letter is enuf koz of clearance at ur PPA.
5- the amount of money u need depends on ur class of person. If u are balling, then u may nid as much as stated by OP Buh if u re prudent with spending 20k-25k is enuf.
Lastly- every other thing stated by the OP is obviously correct nd very important u get prepared as early as possible. Se fini

4 Likes

Re: NYSC Orientation Camp: All You Need To Know, Preparation And Requirements by ikenwa4lyf: 10:54am On Jan 30, 2016
Thanks @ Don Pizzle

(1) (Reply)

NYSC Automatic Revalidation For Pcms That Missed Camp In 2018 Batch A / Open Letter To NYSC Board By Batch B Stream II Member / Rivers State Corpers- Batch A And B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.