Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! (21535 Views)

10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / My Experience In A Deceived Job Interview In Lagos(gnld Now Neolife Networking) / Invitation For Job Interview At Ebony Links (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 3:28am On Jan 31, 2016
There are some things that you should keep to yourself during a job interview – even if you’re thinking them. As you’re preparing answers to interview questions it’s equally important to know what the hiring manager will consider a red flag. After all, a wrong move or two, and it won’t matter how great your sales numbers at your last job were.

Lots of different topics come up in job interviews, and conversations go all over the place, but there are 29 words and phrases that should never, ever, come out of your mouth.

1. Nervous'
Sometimes when you’re really nervous, it feels better to clear the air. But in a job interview, it’s best to focus on the positive. The interviewer knows that you’re nervous—show them that you can perform under pressure.

2.'Money,' 'salary,' 'pay,' 'compensation,' etc.
Look, we all know salary is usually the most important factor when deciding whether or not you’ll take the job. But despite the old saying “honesty is the best policy,” in this case it’s usually wise to pretend that’s not the case and hold off on talk of compensation. Asking about the salary during the interview will give the employer the perception that money is all you care about – even if that’s untrue.

'3. Weaknesses' or 'mistakes'
Don't let the interviewer know about your weakness on day 1. He/she might judge you on the same.

'4. Need'
The interviewer needs to know that you want the particular job you're interviewing for -- and that you're a great fit for it. He or she doesn't want to hear about what you need. You might really need that job, but remember that desperation is not appealing.

5.Perks or benefits
Save talk about benefits and perks for the negotiation stage -- that is, after you've gotten a job offer -- or until the interviewer raises the issue. A recruiter for a large computer manufacturer relates that many interviewees ask about "how many free products" they’ll get after they’re hired. But if you ask this question, you'll never get hired.

6.Terrible,' 'horrible,' 'awful,' 'hate,' etc.
If an interviewer asks about a problem you faced at your previous employer, she is more interested in your ability to solve the problem than the actual problem. A lot of times people just use the ‘challenges faced question’ to criticize their former boss or the team they used to work with. Even if they were horrible, you have to include that key word ‘BUT,’ and then move on from there about what you did to succeed in that environment.

'7. Fine'
If the job interview says, “How are you?” how do you respond? Stating that you’re ‘fine’ is so vague, not to mention way overused and it can come off as dishonest or being dismissive. Use another word to describe how you really are. Nothing negative!

8. 'S---,' 'b----,' 'f---, ' etc.
Lose the slang when talking to an interviewer. You want to come across as polished and professional, and you don’t want them to have to dig out their urban dictionary to understand you. Bad words should not also appear in a job interview. Even if the hiring manager swears up a storm, it's not a good idea. Show your language skills by using actual words to describe your feelings and situations.

9. 'Um,' 'so,' 'like'
That old saying, “If you don’t have anything to say, don’t say anything at all,” applies here a big. Rather than hemming and hawing while you try to think up an answer, just be silent and think. Saying er or um too much could make you seem unprepared or as though you’re not paying attention.

10.'Sorry'
This has become another filler word i.e. ‘um’ ‘like’ ‘just’ or ‘so’ and makes you look indecisive or too passive as well as lacking confidence.

11.'Divorced,' 'pregnant,' 'sick,' etc.
People say it in order to emphasize how much they need the job and to try to get the hiring manager to be compassionate. But this is the wrong emphasis. You should be focusing on how you'll help the company out. Steer clear of anything that invites an interviewer to give you sympathy.

12.'Actually'
Prefacing sentences with this word, as in, 'Actually, I didn't work on that account,' or 'Actually, you can do it this way,' puts distance between you and the listener by hinting that they were somehow wrong.

13.'Just'
Adding "just" as a filler word in sentences — as in, "I just think that ..." — may seem harmless, "but it can detract from what you're saying."

14.'Vacation' or 'holidays'
Even before you begin your work asking about holidays puts you in bad light. Just like the salary conversation, this should be addressed at a later time. Vacation days, after all, are part of your overall compensation package.

http://job.naij.com/tips-Words+You+Should+Never+Use+at+a+Job+Interview-337-page-1

17 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Heymus(m): 3:50am On Jan 31, 2016
I love this, Bless u @op

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by akee01(m): 4:13am On Jan 31, 2016
Nice

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by mannobi(m): 4:34am On Jan 31, 2016
OK nice one. Contact me for a Pepsi long throat bottle as your reward in the next two hours. Lol

5 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 4:36am On Jan 31, 2016
mannobi:
OK nice one. Contact me for a Pepsi long throat bottle as your reward in the next two hours. Lol
Oshe gan! U try! grin
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by jachi001(f): 5:51am On Jan 31, 2016
Thank you op! Remain bless.

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Abudu2000(m): 6:51am On Jan 31, 2016
nice one op,whatsapp me today for your instant data topup

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Donald3d(m): 7:46am On Jan 31, 2016
E remain one,no go use pidgin ooo,but if the interviewer vex u,tell am make e kponkpi .na play i dey play o,but u fit try am smallll,security go carry you back to back,hehehehe.

2 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by herkeym001(m): 8:20am On Jan 31, 2016
Que Sera Sera

4 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by lonelydora: 9:09am On Jan 31, 2016
Okay nah
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 31, 2016
I think this might help me in the future to secure a nice job of my dream. Thanks Op for bringing this up, atleast something useful made Frontpage this early morning.

2 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by adorablepepple(f): 9:10am On Jan 31, 2016
All This interview job seekers go through is not easy o,I just pray this year there will be lot of breakthrough for those searching for Job in Jesus name, especially for my Brother

Amen!

7 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by siegfried99(m): 9:10am On Jan 31, 2016
Ok
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by adonbilivit: 9:11am On Jan 31, 2016
story...
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 31, 2016
g
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by abumeinben(m): 9:13am On Jan 31, 2016
It's OK to be nervous at start, but get back up.
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by ShakurM(m): 9:13am On Jan 31, 2016
Shhit! Um, Actually Sir,sorry for the terrible language , being nervous is one of my weaknesses but I just need this money for my pregnant side chick who is on holiday from school . It would be fine and would do me a lot of benefits if you can pay me this money. Pls epp me sad

13 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by pyyxxaro: 9:15am On Jan 31, 2016
Ogbeni as u enter

If dem vex u

Just tell them # una fada well well #

Call out one long Benson for their front

Lite am sharply

Them go beg u tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by emmyw(m): 9:16am On Jan 31, 2016
Ok
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Timoleon(m): 9:18am On Jan 31, 2016
op o di very nice.
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by ayusco85(m): 9:20am On Jan 31, 2016
Tell him u are related to Dasuki, and u will get d job.

I ve tried it, it worked
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by importexpert(m): 9:25am On Jan 31, 2016
i wish all job seekers success in their endeavors.

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Smellymouth: 9:25am On Jan 31, 2016
Okk.. for the job seekers undecided
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 31, 2016
girls grin

3 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by letsbet(m): 9:31am On Jan 31, 2016
Those are great pointers right there. going for interviews is one hell of a job itself.

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 31, 2016
ok

3 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Chidizman(m): 9:37am On Jan 31, 2016
Mtchwwwwwww. Connection kill everything!

1 Like

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by nnadychuks(m): 9:37am On Jan 31, 2016
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by Nobody: 9:38am On Jan 31, 2016
grin

3 Likes

Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by davedpo(m): 9:39am On Jan 31, 2016
Nyc write up, tanks
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by xage(m): 10:10am On Jan 31, 2016
It gave for a resounding reminder @Op

How ever remeber to give compliments it goes along way to project you.

You look so beautiful ma (female penalist)

Or

You look so handsome sir (male penalist)

Please do not follow with giggle or smile, so it doesn't rather land you in trouble

You can go in with a bottle of water,sip intermitently as you speak cohesively, it signifies confidence,relaxation and organization...if u so care for yourself, then u can care for our task
Re: Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! by isacolukay(m): 10:35am On Jan 31, 2016
Which word person go con talk? All the words have been censored off in one thread or the other.

Nna, I tired o

(1) (2) (Reply)

Masters Scholarship Program With ₦200k Allowance In Russia, ₦500k Job In Nigeria / Don't Be Ashamed Of Your Legitimate Hustle / NIS 2015:CHECK THE LIST OF SHORT-LISTED APPLICANTS-3/4/15, DOWNLOAD PAST Q&A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.