Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,269 members, 7,818,927 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Choosing Between Msc. Degree Program And Professional Certificationin Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between Msc. Degree Program And Professional Certificationin Nigeria (792 Views)

Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? / Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island / Should I Dump It And Go For My Msc Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Choosing Between Msc. Degree Program And Professional Certificationin Nigeria by ernesterioo(f): 1:12pm On Jan 31, 2016
Our daily Personal Education Decision Category topic of the day is choosing between MSc. Program and Professional Certification. Before we start I wish to let you know that this is a form discussion in which you are free to contribute your opinion about each of the questions in our education decision category.It is important to understand that the content of this discussion will not only help the person that asked the question to us but also many other people who are currently trying the make the same decision about their education.I will start by giving the definitions of a master’s degree and professional certification according the Wikipedia.A master’s degree is an advanced academic degree granted to individuals who have undergone study demonstrating a mastery or high-order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice.1Professional certification, trade certification, or professional designation, often called simply certification or qualification, is a designation earned by a person to assure qualification to perform a job or task. Not all certifications that use post-nominal letters are an acknowledgement of educational achievement, or an agency appointed to safeguard the public interest.2 The definitions have thrown more light on these two terms and you have also got a sense of what each of them means. Along your educational or professional career, you might have to make a decision between enrolling of a MSc. Degree or a certification program in Nigeria.Imagine working as a Java Developer in a Software Development Firm and your developer colleagues have different Java certification or working in an accounting firm with young colleagues already had their ICAN certification, you will find it difficult to choose between doing an MSc program or profession certification.In Nigerian context though you can choose any of them but you have to first consider the following factors belowbefore you make your final decision.Career Promotion and AdvancementDon’t get it wrong. Irrespective of the one you go for, you will still be promoted when the need arises. But it is much easier and faster to get promoted with a Master’s degree in Managerial position than with certification (there may be exception if you have certification is in Business Management or related field).SeniorityMSc. Degree holder will occupy a higher position and gets a higher salary over professional certification holderwithout a master’s degree. This is not always true but in most situations the rule applies.Employment Opportunities in NigeriaCertification holder in a particular area will have an advantage in a position that strictly requires someone that will prove to have the required skills through certification and work experience than someone who obtained a general master’s degree in that field. Apart from that, master’s degree holder has an edge in other circumstance.My Personal OpinionIt is only in a few occasion will I advise someone to choose a professional certification over MSC degree but in totality pursuing a master’s degree to my understanding is far better than professional certification. From the above definitions, you can see that MSc. Programmes involve more detailed study than certification. Many certification programmes are so easy that you can stay at home, read the exam cram and pass your certification.Now over to youWill you choose MSc over Professional certification? We will be glad to hear your opinion on this topic. Tell us what you think.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Msc. Degree Program And Professional Certificationin Nigeria by Akkord4gov: 1:23pm On Jan 31, 2016
Here to learn more
Re: Choosing Between Msc. Degree Program And Professional Certificationin Nigeria by Abumutamainna(m): 10:46pm On Jan 19, 2022
Combine the two.... continuous learning or relearning grants job security.

(1) (Reply)

Weekend SAP Training In Lagos / 25 Things You Must Know About Facebook Founder, Zuckerberg / Are You Interested In Doing Business Or Buying Anything In Kano State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.