Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned (49611 Views)

After 18days With The Iphone X And Iphone 7 I Switched Back To My Android. Fact# / 10 Reasons To Dump Apple Iphone For An Android Phone / Reasons I Switched To The Tecno Spark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by JayKayMaybachz(m): 2:13pm On Jan 31, 2016
Android users are embracing the iPhone. According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, 30 percent of new iPhone buyers had switched from an Android device in the July-to-September 2015 quarter. And this week, Cook reiterated that the trend is accelerating, saying: "We were blown away by the level of Android switchers that we had last quarter [October through December]. It was the highest ever by far."

As an avid Android user, I had never thought of switching, but was curious why others were jumping ship at higher rates. Was it the larger screens that debuted with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, finally bringing the iPhone to parity with Android phablets? Perhaps frustration over the lack of Android software updates?

I decided it was time to try iOS for myself. I removed the SIM card from my Moto X Pure and popped it into a brand-new iPhone 6S. I've used an iPhone on a few occasions for work purposes, but this would be the first time I was using an iPhone (albeit a temporary loaner) as my personal phone. That means not carrying my Android device with me for two months, which included a hectic week in Las Vegas for the CES trade show.

CNET

I switched from Android to iPhone for two months. Here's what I learned
Commentary: This Google fanboy lived with an iPhone for two months. What made him go back to Android?
Andrew Hoyle/CNET
by Dan Graziano @DanGraziano
January 29, 2016 1:00 AM PST Updated: January 29, 2016 7:47 AM PST

Android users are embracing the iPhone. According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, 30 percent of new iPhone buyers had switched from an Android device in the July-to-September 2015 quarter. And this week, Cook reiterated that the trend is accelerating, saying: "We were blown away by the level of Android switchers that we had last quarter [October through December]. It was the highest ever by far."

As an avid Android user, I had never thought of switching, but was curious why others were jumping ship at higher rates. Was it the larger screens that debuted with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, finally bringing the iPhone to parity with Android phablets? Perhaps frustration over the lack of Android software updates?

I decided it was time to try iOS for myself. I removed the SIM card from my Moto X Pure and popped it into a brand-new iPhone 6S. I've used an iPhone on a few occasions for work purposes, but this would be the first time I was using an iPhone (albeit a temporary loaner) as my personal phone. That means not carrying my Android device with me for two months, which included a hectic week in Las Vegas for the CES trade show.

I switched from the Moto X Pure to the iPhone 6S for two months.

Josh Miller/CNET

I'll state one obvious thing right up front: both Android and iOS, at this point, are very mature operating systems. They're also, at this point, more similar than different from each other. And while I was moving from one high-end phone to another, I was focusing on software differences, not so much hardware ones, although I've included some below.

That said, here were the things that I noticed most when I went from Android to iOS.

Where Apple wins

Timely software updates

I started using the iPhone in early December and since then received two software updates (iOS 9.2 and iOS 9.2.1) with a third set to arrive shortly (iOS 9.3). And these software updates are available around the world, simultaneously, to all supported iPhones regardless of wireless carrier. As a result, iOS 9 is running on more than 75 percent of all iOS devices, which includes iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, according to Apple's App Store Distribution page. Even more impressive, the company is still updating the iPhone 4S, which was released back in 2011.

For Google's operating system, the situation couldn't be more different. The latest operating system, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, was released in late September and is found on less than 1 percent of Android devices. (You can thank the large number of Android hardware partners -- and their insistence on customizing the OS -- for that, but it's still frustrating for the user.) Bottom line: Unless you are on one of Google's Nexus devices, you rarely receive software updates on Android.

That's not the case for Apple.

Apps still come to iOS first

It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but developers still tend to develop apps for iOS first. The live-streaming app Periscope was available on iOS two months before Android. Facebook's Paper app and new Sports Stadium are only available for the iPhone, as is the the NYT Now app. Periscope's new GoPro compatibility can only broadcast from iPhones for now as well. And the list goes on.

Touch ID is incredibly fast

I've used fingerprint sensors before, but Touch ID feels faster than the rest. I rarely saw the lock screen. A simple press on the home button would turn my screen on and unlock it within seconds. I also found Touch ID to be more reliable than others I have used, such as the one of the Nexus 6P and Samsung Galaxy S6.

Where Android still wins

Fast charging

I had to charge the iPhone at least once, sometimes twice during the work day. I've come to expect this with many smartphones, but charging the iPhone can be a real pain. It takes over 2 1/2 hours to go from zero to full.

A majority of recent high-end Android devices include a quick-charging feature. I could get about 8 hours of power from a 15-minute charge on my Moto X Pure. The huge market for iPhone battery packs and charging accessories shows that battery life remains a challenge for iPhone users.

The Moto X Pure is one of a handful of Android devices that include front-facing speakers -- a feature I desperately missed. The iPhone speakers sound clear, but they just don't seem to get loud enough. I like to listen to music when I take showers. The speakers on the Moto X were able to get loud enough to overcome the sound of the water, but this wasn't the case for the iPhone. I ended up having to pair it to a Bluetooth speaker to get my morning music fix.

OS-level Google integration

It's scary how much I rely on Google for both work and personal use. While the search giant has all of its essential services on iOS, I miss how everything was integrated with Android. The Google Now home screen on my Moto X Pure provided me with all the essential information I needed -- traffic information for my commute home, package tracking, stock information, suggested articles based on my interest, and more.

Freedom, efficiency and customization

Android gives users freedom over almost every part of the operating system. You can change texting apps, the look of icons, the default Web browser, and more. While iOS lets you choose from a variety of third-party keyboards, you can't set any apps to be used by default.

I also noticed that actions on iOS tended to require extra steps. For example, on Android I can choose to connect to a specific Wi-Fi network in the notifications pull-down. While iOS will let you toggle Wi-Fi on and off through the Control Center (the menu that appears when you swipe up on the home screen), you have to go into the Settings app and click Wi-Fi to choose a specific network.

And the winner is...

Overall my experience was enjoyable. The iPhone 6S is a great phone, and I recommend it to almost everyone. The camera is top-notch, the phone runs smoothly and the operating system is easy to navigate.

But in the end I won't be sticking with it. Android is more of a natural fit for me. I'm more efficient on my Android device and I love the deep Google integration. I also like that I can make my device look and feel unique with custom icons, launchers, widgets and home screens.

At least, that's the case for now. Let's see what Google and Apple have on deck for 2016.

http://www.cnet.com/news/i-switched-from-android-to-iphone-for-two-months-heres-what-i-learned/

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by ritababe(f): 6:46pm On Jan 31, 2016
Android is the future even iPhone will join us soon just like blackberry. grin

131 Likes 6 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jan 31, 2016
Trash!!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 31, 2016
JayKayMaybachz:
Then who wins atlast?

CNET

I switched from Android to iPhone for two months. Here's what I learned
Commentary: This Google fanboy lived with an iPhone for two months. What made him go back to Android?
Andrew Hoyle/CNET
by Dan Graziano @DanGraziano
January 29, 2016 1:00 AM PST Updated: January 29, 2016 7:47 AM PST

I switched from the Moto X Pure to the iPhone 6S for two months.

Josh Miller/CNET

I'll state one obvious thing right up front: both Android and iOS, at this point, are very mature operating systems. They're also, at this point, more similar than different from each other. And while I was moving from one high-end phone to another, I was focusing on software differences, not so much hardware ones, although I've included some below.

That said, here were the things that I noticed most when I went from Android to iOS.

Where Apple wins

Timely software updates

I started using the iPhone in early December and since then received two software updates (iOS 9.2 and iOS 9.2.1) with a third set to arrive shortly (iOS 9.3). And these software updates are available around the world, simultaneously, to all supported iPhones regardless of wireless carrier. As a result, iOS 9 is running on more than 75 percent of all iOS devices, which includes iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches, according to Apple's App Store Distribution page. Even more impressive, the company is still updating the iPhone 4S, which was released back in 2011.

For Google's operating system, the situation couldn't be more different. The latest operating system, Android 6.0 Marshmallow, was released in late September and is found on less than 1 percent of Android devices. (You can thank the large number of Android hardware partners -- and their insistence on customizing the OS -- for that, but it's still frustrating for the user.) Bottom line: Unless you are on one of Google's Nexus devices, you rarely receive software updates on Android.

That's not the case for Apple.

Apps still come to iOS first

It's not nearly as bad as it used to be, but developers still tend to develop apps for iOS first. The live-streaming app Periscope was available on iOS two months before Android. Facebook's Paper app and new Sports Stadium are only available for the iPhone, as is the the NYT Now app. Periscope's new GoPro compatibility can only broadcast from iPhones for now as well. And the list goes on.

Touch ID is incredibly fast

I've used fingerprint sensors before, but Touch ID feels faster than the rest. I rarely saw the lock screen. A simple press on the home button would turn my screen on and unlock it within seconds. I also found Touch ID to be more reliable than others I have used, such as the one of the Nexus 6P and Samsung Galaxy S6.

Where Android still wins

Fast charging

I had to charge the iPhone at least once, sometimes twice during the work day. I've come to expect this with many smartphones, but charging the iPhone can be a real pain. It takes over 2 1/2 hours to go from zero to full.

A majority of recent high-end Android devices include a quick-charging feature. I could get about 8 hours of power from a 15-minute charge on my Moto X Pure. The huge market for iPhone battery packs and charging accessories shows that battery life remains a challenge for iPhone users.

The Moto X Pure is one of a handful of Android devices that include front-facing speakers -- a feature I desperately missed. The iPhone speakers sound clear, but they just don't seem to get loud enough. I like to listen to music when I take showers. The speakers on the Moto X were able to get loud enough to overcome the sound of the water, but this wasn't the case for the iPhone. I ended up having to pair it to a Bluetooth speaker to get my morning music fix.

OS-level Google integration

It's scary how much I rely on Google for both work and personal use. While the search giant has all of its essential services on iOS, I miss how everything was integrated with Android. The Google Now home screen on my Moto X Pure provided me with all the essential information I needed -- traffic information for my commute home, package tracking, stock information, suggested articles based on my interest, and more.

Freedom, efficiency and customization

Android gives users freedom over almost every part of the operating system. You can change texting apps, the look of icons, the default Web browser, and more. While iOS lets you choose from a variety of third-party keyboards, you can't set any apps to be used by default.

I also noticed that actions on iOS tended to require extra steps. For example, on Android I can choose to connect to a specific Wi-Fi network in the notifications pull-down. While iOS will let you toggle Wi-Fi on and off through the Control Center (the menu that appears when you swipe up on the home screen), you have to go into the Settings app and click Wi-Fi to choose a specific network.

And the winner is...

Overall my experience was enjoyable. The iPhone 6S is a great phone, and I recommend it to almost everyone. The camera is top-notch, the phone runs smoothly and the operating system is easy to navigate.

But in the end I won't be sticking with it. Android is more of a natural fit for me. I'm more efficient on my Android device and I love the deep Google integration. I also like that I can make my device look and feel unique with custom icons, launchers, widgets and home screens.

At least, that's the case for now. Let's see what Google and Apple have on deck for 2016.

http://www.cnet.com/news/i-switched-from-android-to-iphone-for-two-months-heres-what-i-learned/

Visit www.techsavvyhood.com for latest technology news and others.

Cc:Lalasticlala
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Kreamie(m): 8:56pm On Jan 31, 2016
Comparing the iPhone and an android phone is like comparing whatsapp and BBM

The difference is clear..

Android over iOS

Whatsapp Over BBM

167 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by bobo65(m): 8:57pm On Jan 31, 2016
Cool

To cut the long story short, android is more user frndly than iPhone

I'll say android is Facebook while iPhone is twitter

130 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by cutetopsey(f): 8:57pm On Jan 31, 2016
Hmmmmm!

This is cool

Check my signature on how to get rid excess body fats...
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by henrydadon(m): 8:58pm On Jan 31, 2016
I have to be really jobless to be able to read all this finish. .OP next time..summarize. .I believe u were taught
in school

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by iambabaG: 8:58pm On Jan 31, 2016
Really very trashy review.. Regret every second spent in reading!! because of irrelevant tweaking u feel AOS is better than IOS #smh

7 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Adiwana: 8:58pm On Jan 31, 2016
I have not used an iPhone before(plan on getting one soon) but my comparison of iPhones I have navigated through with android,Android beats it.
My HTC one m8 beats an iPhone 5s anytime any day.May/May not be in par with iPhone6,it's still a fantastic phone.Running on Android6,Great battery life,Easy access +a whooping 2gb ram(bearing in mind some Android phones boasts of around 5000mah worth of battery life+3gb ram),Great pic quality,ability to side load apps+be a boss of your phone by tweaking,Remodelling and having total access to your phone..The advantage is endless

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by yemmynath(m): 8:59pm On Jan 31, 2016
Noted

1 Like

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Goahead(m): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
IPhones was meant for the elites folks.....

12 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by MadeOfBlaq(m): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
Who iPhone dn help?

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by aolumaxi(m): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
mods... put am for dustbin abeg

3 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Freelancer007(m): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
Ok
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by busybeei5(f): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
leave trash for LAWMA

1 Like

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by JoBabs(m): 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2016
Ok
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by drdrei09: 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2016
IPhone? not now at least
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by wiringdpt(m): 9:01pm On Jan 31, 2016
Team Iphone

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by shobroy10(m): 9:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
Have u compared it will java or Symbian
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Dunnievick(m): 9:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
op I beg na you know cos am okay with my Nokia 3310

4 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by wallex1983(m): 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2016
If I spend the time I'll use to read this epistle on my bible, I'd have been a better person.......

10 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
[quote author=ollah1 post=42501389]Trash!![/quote. The word to hash na!
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by bobo65(m): 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
henrydadon:
I have to be really jobless to be able to read all this finish. .OP next time..summarize. .I believe u were thought in school
Dude talking bout school
Weren't u taught how to read text books?

The post isn't even long

26 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Deejavu1(m): 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
Baseless!!
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by rapfezy: 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
in Jamal's voice "tell the truth"

5 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by sexymonkey(m): 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
Walks out
Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by RoyalBlak007: 9:04pm On Jan 31, 2016
Iphone is not made for everyone...IOS anywhere! cool

9 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by waterhouse071(m): 9:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
Android gave everyone opportunity to use smartphones

10 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Lero15(m): 9:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
Buy me one then... I'd be glad to review and revert smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 31, 2016
Read this article months ago. tongue

The iPhone is an over hyped and ridiculously expensive device.

7 Likes

Re: I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 31, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Subsea Cable: Glo Shades MTN, Others (Photo) / Is This The End Of MTN SME Data Share Subscription Business? / This is the real reason why Tecno Mobile is The best Phone Brand in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.