Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,682 members, 7,823,924 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Lagos Bars Okada From Highways - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Bars Okada From Highways (4954 Views)

Army Re-opens Borno Highways Three Years After Closure / Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... / Police To Begin Stop And Search On Roads And Highways Nationwide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by spikedcylinder: 5:03pm On Jun 30, 2009
dominique:

made sense in mine too cheesy

Stereotyping Okada riders with the ethnicity : craziness ratio?

Sure.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by moneygurl: 5:06pm On Jun 30, 2009
Saintb:

i joined nairaland recently, but i dont know how to post a topic.

i have interesting topic to share with you guy.

pls someone should kindly asist me

Click "new topic" at the front page of the politics forum.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 30, 2009
An outright ban would be best - motorcycles were never designed with commerce in mind.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:08pm On Jun 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Train them to ride on the Highway?
Would you allow an okada man to take you on highway 401, QEW or any highway for that matter.
that is even with the fact that everyone has right of way in Canada, not to talk of a place where the drive macho it all and can kill you and run away.

And why not?
There are people who ride speed bikes and Harley Davidson, cross country in Canada. That is their own I would not go on okada on highway in any country because that is not in my comfort zone. Just like I would not drive a Smart Car, because any impact is life threatening.
All am saying is that we can reduce the mortality rates in Nigeria by equipping ALL motorists with better driving practices.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 5:09pm On Jun 30, 2009
Siena:

An outright ban would be best - motorcycles were never designed with commerce in mind.

Inasmuch as  hate the OKADA idea, outright banning of them will be a very bad idea till the govt have something better in place in terms of the roads, in terms of better access to credit facilities for some people to access rides, and how some people will be able to do some delivery, cos the traffic in lagos alone can make human lose their lives.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 5:12pm On Jun 30, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

And why not?
There are people who ride speed bikes and Harley Davidson, cross country in Canada. That is their own I would not go on okada on highway in any country because that is not in my comfort zone. Just like I would not drive a Smart Car, because any impact is life threatening.
All am saying is that we can reduce the mortality rates in Nigeria by equipping ALL motorists with better driving practices.

I am surprised at your comparison sir, go to Lagos universities and you will see dudes riding those kinda bikes too, so that is of their choices, so once again, if there is okada in Canada, would you join it in highway.
Secondly, those riding okada in Nigeria are doing it not out of choice, but of necessity, so if they have a choice to chose a comfort zone, i am sure they will not ride it.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:27pm On Jun 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I am surprised at your comparison sir, go to Lagos universities and you will see dudes riding those kinda bikes too, so that is of their choices, so once again, if there is okada in Canada, would you join it in highway.
Secondly, those riding okada in Nigeria are doing it not out of choice, but of necessity, so if they have a choice to chose a comfort zone, i am sure they will not ride it.
But they are riding it and will continue riding why do i feel as this your point is irrelevant?
Why are motor vehicle accidents so prevalent in Nigeria?

The fact that their are more motorcycles on roads in Nigeria should mean better preventative measures such as increased training, yearly probationary licenses etcc
It's because Nigerians as a group are terrible drivers little to do with bad roads.
Since you like the comparisons game, here in Canada you know we are sparsely populated their are terrible roads in nooks and crannies.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Jun 30, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

But they are riding it and will continue riding why do i feel as this your point is irrelevant?
Why are motor vehicle accidents so prevalent in Nigeria?

The fact that their are more motorcycles on roads in Nigeria should mean better preventative measures such as increased training, yearly probationary licenses etcc
It's because Nigerians as a group are terrible drivers little to do with bad roads.
Since you like the comparisons game, here in Canada you know we are sparsely populated their are terrible roads in nooks and crannies.

You cant leave the bad roads out of this sir, cos when the roads are some of the reasons why there are traffic.
Secondly, in canada, just call a number and the bad road will be dealt with, but in Nigeria call such number and they will tell you the date you were born.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by blacksta(m): 6:38pm On Jun 30, 2009
Siena:

What a nonsense statement - what about courier services?
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by stagger: 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2009
Motorcycles, bicycles and motorized tricycles are used in other parts of the world with a much lower accident rate.

To those who are saying okada ban is working in Abuja, has it stopped accidents from happening DAILY on the Airport road, Abuja Keffi road, Kubwa road and other major roads in the FCT?

Motorists there capitalise on the good roads in the Federal Capital to drive as if they are on a Formula 1 racing track.

The problem is not with the okada riders. It is the attitudinal problems that we Nigerians have to virtually everything. We don't obey traffic rules, run red lights anyhow, drive anyhow, you just name it.

In a country where uniformed personnel and bank bullion vehicles routinely break every single traffic rule known to man and even kill people in addition, what good does banning okada riders (supposedly to reduce accidents) do?

I have once been almost rammed by the pilot vehicle of a state governor who beat a red light trying to negotiate a bend without any warning. (I wish they had; them for settle me like Tinubu settle Tony Tetuila in the popular song "u do hit my car"wink tongue
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by kamtoz(m): 7:11pm On Jun 30, 2009
Okada has remained a menance to the society,thw calibre of pple operating this okada bussiness calls for concern,, Illitrates or semi Illitrate.Worse still they are lawless.The step is in a good direction if police and Lasma will not see it as a new innovation to make pay.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 7:24pm On Jun 30, 2009
kamtoz:

Okada has remained a menance to the society,thw calibre of pple operating this okada bussiness calls for concern,, Illitrates or semi Illitrate.Worse still they are lawless.The step is in a good direction if police and Lasma will not see it as a new innovation to make pay.

there are so many Literates that are so dumb and act stupid too, so let us leave education out of this.
yeah, i do agree that there is a need to have proper training to be able to operate those machines, i am not even sure if there is a licencing body for the bike riders.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by kamtoz(m): 7:33pm On Jun 30, 2009
Yes.Education matters a lot.practically in this okada biz,the level is too low,experience them u will know,jst like the bus drivers.Education here does nt neccesarily means formal one, u grab.They have a licencing body,bt they r nt ready to do the real thing,biz as usual ia the bane, u know.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by quadrey(m): 7:44pm On Jun 30, 2009
yep the okada law is long ovadue but for all yáll sayin it shud be banned i wonder how u'll survive the hectic lasgidi traffic situation. a
as for the hausa homies issue and their riding i'll av to agree that these guys are truly terrib le but we shudn't subject ourselves to tribalistic sentiments wen address[n this issue.evrybodi is a culprit even u wey dey shout say make the okadaman take u were ure goin sharpsharp
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Redman44(m): 7:48pm On Jun 30, 2009
I think the ban is good. Okada riders in Lagos State and other parts of Nigeria need to be certified before they are allowed to ply their trade. They must undergo some training and driving tests before they start operating commercially. We need good regulations to check these riders from hell. I am also suggesting that Okada riders who drive recklessly should have their licences revoked. They should also be banned from operating for some months. Computerization of motorcycle plate numbers and the details of Okada commercial riders will help the government in monitoring and prosecuting them.

Our problems in Nigeria are not insurmountable. We only need to be disciplined and utilize technology effectively to solve our problems. Cheers.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2009
kamtoz:

Yes.Education matters a lot.practically in this okada biz,the level is too low,experience them u will know,jst like the bus drivers.Education here does nt neccesarily means formal one, u grab.They have a licencing body,bt they r nt ready to do the real thing,biz as usual ia the bane, u know.

If they have the licencing body and yet they riding without it, then, u cant blame the people, you will blame the law enforcers for not making sure they face the wrath of the law when theya re caught.
trust me there are so many people that drive without licence and insurance in the western world, but once caught, they will be sorry.
So train the law enforcement agent in Nigeria to enforce the law and dont enforce the bribery
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2009
Redman44:

I think the ban is good. Okada riders in Lagos State and other parts of Nigeria need to be certified before they are allowed to ply their trade. They must undergo some training and driving tests before they start operating commercially. We need good regulations to check these riders from hell. I am also suggesting that Okada riders who drive recklessly should have their licences revoked. They should also be banned from operating for some months. Computerization of motorcycle plate numbers and the details of Okada commercial riders will help the government in monitoring and prosecuting them.

Our problems in Nigeria are not insurmountable. We only need to be disciplined and utilize technology effectively to solve our problems. Cheers.

You mean to tell me that people just buy the motor bike and start using for okada biz? i doubt that oh, haba now, i know Nija is lawless, but dont think cld be that lawless now
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by puskin: 8:46pm On Jun 30, 2009
Itz working in PH, Abuja nd other naija cìties my foot.
E.g Ikeja ,Oshodi nd Mushin 2geda is bigger than PHC. It work'd in other cities doesn't mean it wil work in Lagos.
LASG shud prepare 4anoda showdown wit her workers.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Redman44(m): 9:30pm On Jun 30, 2009
@Fhemmy

The Motorcycle commercial transport Unions do not conduct tests for new members before registering them. I do not think there is also any certification that is given to the riders. The unions are mainly concerned with the fees they collect from their members. This is where the Federal Road Safety Corps [ FRSC ] should come in. We don't need too many road agencies in Lagos who pretend to be doing something while they are actually looking for money. The FRSC has to be revived through solid funding to tackle the madness on our roads. Cheers.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by JosBoy4Lif(m): 9:36pm On Jun 30, 2009
Fhemmmy:

You mean to tell me that people just buy the motor bike and start using for okada biz? i doubt that oh, haba now, i know Nija is lawless, but dont think cld be that lawless now

That is exactly what happens my friend and that is what my posts have been trying to hit home
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 9:42pm On Jun 30, 2009
Redman44:

@Fhemmy

The Motorcycle commercial transport Unions do not conduct tests for new members before registering them. I do not think there is also any certification that is given to the riders. The unions are mainly concerned with the fees they collect from their members. This is where the Federal Road Safety Corps [ FRSC ] should come in. We don't need too many road agencies in Lagos who pretend to be doing something while they are actually looking for money. The FRSC has to be revived through solid funding to tackle the madness on our roads. Cheers.

But it shd not be the job of the Union to test people, it shd be that of the govt to test them, the union is to just make sure the members are registers and will be represented in time of need.
The govt ought to make sure that the pple and the motor bike are duly registered.
Make sure the operator has a licence to ride such bike.
Make sure the bikes are road worthy.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Fhemmmy: 9:43pm On Jun 30, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

That is exactly what happens my friend and that is what my posts have been trying to hit home

My guy that is sad and that means something is terribly wrong and has to be fixed.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by DoubleN(m): 11:57pm On Jun 30, 2009
Are these Okada riders even licensed? The whole transport system is faulty and unreliable,as for them banning OKada's out rightly i will say yes to that if only they can come up with an alternative.If you work on the Island and you ain't got a car,you will agree with me that Okada is the only way forward!
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by lastpage: 1:42am On Jul 01, 2009
Starting from the first comment on this thread, one would notice that the longer it goes, the more sensible its becoming.
Redman44, fheehmmmy, stagger, are.t.c are making my day.
Cyclone, dont mind the "tribal stunt", they just want to force your hand.

Now, the question that should always come first when we are "jaw-ing" a social problem of this sort is:
HOW DID THE PROBLEM COME TO BE? CAUSATIVE EFFECT?? if we remove the "cause", we remove the "curse"
POVERTY! POVERTY!! POVERTY!!!

Back up to 1983, l doubt if there was "commercial cycling" in Lagos? Certainly not in the 70's!
So, how did we "progress" from being car riders to Okada-riders, and then to "Keke-Maruuwa"? grin

Development, right?
Having said that, l noticed that a few people made comparisons with Canada and some advanced countries!?
For those, l am sure you all knew what you went through to get your "Provisional license" (even if you want to drive a MOPED), ordinary Provisional o!
Not to mention your "Full License

So, Education and Regulation are the major factors.

Now, to the issue of alternatives: As long as there is the NEED for OKADA, a hundred laws will only last a hundred hours and its bye-bye, Okad will always reign shocked

I am an advocate of tackling the "cause" rather than treating the "symptom"

Long and short of my story is that, if l were the Guv'nors advisers, l will as "Broos" tolet us hasten effort on building a "light-Rail" system (hop-on, hop-off like the one Jakande abandoned at Yaba Terminus) that meanders through the city.

Why would l risk my life on OKADA when the Light -Rail is more confy, faster, cheaper, safer and wont get me wet on a rainy day?
Okada business would simply become extinct,
, and the "Thieves" that use them to rob will simply stand-out like a sore thumb (shoot them!).

Life is easy. Living is even easier!
Lastpage
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dnex(m): 2:44am On Jul 01, 2009
From day 1, there has been a plan by Fashola to eliminate Okadas from Lagos. Today It's wear helmet, tomorrow avoid highways, the day after It's wear knee pads and finally it will be avoid streets. Abeg Okada should go jare. Recklessness, drunken riding and general nuisance to the populace.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dnex(m): 2:51am On Jul 01, 2009
Licensed Okada rider ke? Once a mallam has worked as a security man for some years and put aside enough money to afford a motorcycle, he has automatically become an Okada man.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:15am On Jul 01, 2009
dnex:

From day 1, there has been a plan by Fashola to eliminate Okadas from Lagos. Today It's wear helmet, tomorrow avoid highways, the day after It's wear knee pads and finally it will be avoid streets. Abeg Okada should go jare. Recklessness, drunken riding and general nuisance to the populace.
dnex:

Licensed Okada rider ke? Once a mallam has worked as a security man for some years and put aside enough money to afford a motorcycle, he has automatically become an Okada man.

Please your post are not objective in the least bit. Try again
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by dnex(m): 7:48am On Jul 01, 2009
@JosBoy

I'm not writing in order for you to give me a medal. I'm telling it like it is.

Maybe cos I said mallam, you're taking it personal but we all know that most people that come down to Lagos to pose as Hausa are actually Nigerien.

Anyway, if you didn't know that's how they become commercial bike riders, then I'm telling you now.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by itumama: 9:48am On Jul 01, 2009
Better,at least to save lives.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by hayo(m): 10:32am On Jul 01, 2009
It is more of a suicide mission taking Okada on higways. And as many rightly said; there is nothing like Okada in good countries - Good as in developed with a good system. It is an indication of poverty and bad planning to see so many Okadas in a country. Before I am crucified, yeah there are Motorbikes in good countries but they are not for commercial purposes but for leisure, personal movement, courier, police etc.
Lets look at it this way; the proliferation of Okadas came more as a result of NEPA! Yes NEPA now Problem Has Changed Names (PHCN).
A lot of artisans left their trade to start riding Okada cos of electricity problem. I know a lot of them. Secondly; when d Northerners heard about the boom in Lagos, the migration started. You need to know the way Achabas (As they are called in d North) operate. They are Kings on the road while the cars take second fiddle. That is why a Northern Okada rider in Lagos will want to slap you after scratching your car 'cos he thinks he is still in his hometown.
Until government works well with good infrastructures which includes alternative transportation systems, good roads and electricity. Okada will continue to be a necessary evil.
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by Nezan(m): 10:53am On Jul 01, 2009
dnex:

we all know that most people that come down to Lagos to pose as Hausa are actually Nigerien.

who wan deny dat statement of fact?
Re: Lagos Bars Okada From Highways by hayo(m): 11:25am On Jul 01, 2009
You are right - a lot of them are Nigerien but there are Hausas in Ghana and other places too smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Drama At Punch Newspapers / The Three Cities Established By Britain In Nigeria / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.