Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,552 members, 7,819,957 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election (4892 Views)

Tribunal Nullifies Murtala Badaru's Election For Not Attaining 30yrs / Court Nullifies Benue Rep-elect’s Certificate Of Return, Orders Prosecution / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by breathless(m): 10:05am On Jul 01, 2009
shocked To actually think i once managed this KILA's account about 4-5yrs ago! damn, i'm sure julius berger will b proud of their product. 10 rifles? ah dis country sef. and he'll still b walkin d street a free man when his bearded arse ought 2 b roasting in jail. where are the security agents?
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by jensinmi(m): 10:08am On Jul 01, 2009

Ekiti: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election
From Hammed Shittu in Ilorin and Toba Suleiman in Ado-Ekiti, 07.01.2009

The Court of Appeal sitting in Ilorin, the  Kwara State capital, yesterday nullified the election of[b] Senator Adefemi Kila[/b] of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as the Senator representing Ekiti Central Senatorial district in the upper chamber of the National Assembly
In his place, the Appellate Court declared the Action Congress (AC) candidate in the April 14, 2007 election for the  senatorial district, Mr. Bode Ola, the duly elected Senator having secured the highest number of votes cast in the poll.
            Kila had last year been confirmed winner of the senatorial poll by the Justice Usman  Bukar Buala-led State Election Petitions Tribunal which sat in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti State capital.

Dissatisfied with the ruling at the lower tribunal, Ola headed for the Court of Appeal to challenge the judgment of the  election tribunal.
Delivering  judgment on the matter in Ilorin, Justice  Sotonye Denton-West, said  the respondent (Kila) after a deduction of invalid votes from the initial votes credited to him by the Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC), has a total of 19,653 votes as against 38,563 credited to the appellant (Ola) as lawful votes.
The appellant had at the lower tribunal led an evidence in which the respondent was alleged to have inflated the votes credited to him by about 19,000.

The physical counting of the ballot papers had revealed that about 19,000 of the ballot papers had the same serial number.

According to the court, since the respondent could not challenge the evidence at the lower tribunal it would be difficult for the appellate court to grant a specific prayer on it.
The lower Tribunal had cited technicality for not considering the ground of the appellant at that level of adjudication.
          The Apeallate judge however averred that, “the era of technicality was over”, adding that “since the evidence was not challenged at the lower tribunal it is an acceptance that the evidence was not controverted.”
Justice Denton-West declared that, “after subtracting the valid votes from the invalid ones, the appellant has a majority lawful votes. And based on these majority of lawful votes, the appellant (Ola) is so declared as the winner of the election.”

In a swift reaction to the ruling yesterday, the AC described the judgment as a sweet reward for perseverance and doggedness.
In a statement issued  by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party commended the AC candidate as well as the party for their strong belief in the case as well as in the judiciary, even when it seemed that the judicial process was dragging on forever.
It also hailed the judiciary for exposing the outcome of the 2007 senatorial election in the state, and indeed that of other elections, as nothing but a sheer robbery.
             The AC and the  PDP in Ekiti State however viewed the judgment differently.
While the AC Chairman in the state, Chief Jide Awe, described it as a confirmation of the stand of the party that the 2007 April polls were allegedly rigged by INEC in favour of the PDP, the PDP said the judgment of the Appeal Court came to it as a surprise because there was no cause for such a verdict when in actual fact the AC supporters did not even vote during the election due to the fear of the popularity of the PDP in the state.

Source: Thisday Online
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=147551

Chei!!! Na wa o.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by itumama: 10:46am On Jul 01, 2009
Woooooooooow,great news.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Wellas14(m): 12:41pm On Jul 01, 2009
It is so shocking that a senior citizen will still be moving with Pump actions. How did he scale past the primaries sef??
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by otokx(m): 12:53pm On Jul 01, 2009
The guy resemble babalawo
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by ibto75(m): 2:46pm On Jul 01, 2009
Congrats Ekiti people!
Congrats Bode Ola!.
Can anybody inform us of what is happening to senator Arise's case.
When is the final judgement.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Nezan(m): 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2009
breathless:

shocked To actually think i once managed this KILA's account about 4-5yrs ago! damn, i'm sure julius berger will b proud of their product. 10 rifles? ah dis country sef. and he'll still b walkin d street a free man when his bearded arse ought 2 b roasting in jail. where are the security agents?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by azegba(m): 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2009
I WON'T BE HAPPY WITH THE CONSTITION REVIEW IF IT FAILS TO COME OUT WITH A LAW THAT WILL MANDATE EVERY POLITICIAN, FRAUDULENTLY ELECTED BUT LEGALLY BOOTED OUT OF OFFICE, TO REFUND ALL THE MONIES AND RESOURCES HE HAS EVER USED IN THE OFFICE: THE SALARIES, ALLOWANCES BOTH TO HIM OR ENTITLLED TO HIS OFFICE. THIS WILL GO A LONG WAY TO ENSURE THAT ALL THE POLITICAL ROGUES WILL THINK TWISE BEFORE EMBARKING ON THEIR CRIMINALITIES. I AM CONVIENCED THAT ALL THOSE THAT "WORKED" WITH HIM IN THIS EKITI SAGA ARE READY PACKING THEIR BAGS. EKITI GOVT SHOULD NOT TOURCH ANY MONEY IT CANNOT BE ACCOUTABLE TO BECAUSE THE EAGLE EYES OF THE EFCC ARE WATCHING. THERE IS NO HIDDING PLACE UNDER THE SUN.
I AM OF THE HOPE THAT IF THE JUDICIARY IS GIVEN WHAT THEY NEED, THERE IS A RARE OF POLITICAL HOPE IN THE NEAREST FUTURE. SO LET US ALWAYS SUPPORT ALL THE ANTI-CORRUPTION CAMPAIGN INSPITE OF WHOSE OX IS GORED. OUR AGF SHOULD BE INFORMED!
THANKS FOR NOW.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by jensinmi(m): 7:28pm On Jul 01, 2009
Now this is the problem with my country.

How can a lower court overlook the fact that 19,000 ballot papers in an election have the same serial number and then throw the case out on a technicality??

This is serious o. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by davidif: 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
I WON'T BE HAPPY WITH THE CONSTITION REVIEW IF IT FAILS TO COME OUT WITH A LAW THAT WILL MANDATE EVERY POLITICIAN, FRAUDULENTLY ELECTED BUT LEGALLY BOOTED OUT OF OFFICE, TO REFUND ALL THE MONIES AND RESOURCES HE HAS EVER USED IN THE OFFICE: THE SALARIES, ALLOWANCES BOTH TO HIM OR ENTITLLED TO HIS OFFICE. THIS WILL GO A LONG WAY TO ENSURE THAT ALL THE POLITICAL ROGUES WILL THINK TWISE BEFORE EMBARKING ON THEIR CRIMINALITIES. I AM CONVIENCED THAT ALL THOSE THAT "WORKED" WITH HIM IN THIS EKITI SAGA ARE READY PACKING THEIR BAGS. EKITI GOVT SHOULD NOT TOURCH ANY MONEY IT CANNOT BE ACCOUTABLE TO BECAUSE THE EAGLE EYES OF THE EFCC ARE WATCHING. THERE IS NO HIDDING PLACE UNDER THE SUN.
I AM OF THE HOPE THAT IF THE JUDICIARY IS GIVEN WHAT THEY NEED, THERE IS A RARE OF POLITICAL HOPE IN THE NEAREST FUTURE. SO LET US ALWAYS SUPPORT ALL THE ANTI-CORRUPTION CAMPAIGN INSPITE OF WHOSE OX IS GORED. OUR AGF SHOULD BE INFORMED!
THANKS FOR NOW.

azegba,
thank you o, there has to be a serious punitive (punishment) actions on the part of the courts so that next time, politicians would learn there lessons.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by joy2(m): 7:17am On Jul 02, 2009
Am patiently waiting for the nullification of Arise's Election. He is a greater thug who housed several armed thugs with all kinds of charms, during the last rerun elections in Ekiti, when asked by Gbenga Aruleba on AIT he said there is no place in the Constitution that forbids the use of charms for protection, this are people making laws for us can you imagine that?
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by sley4life(m): 8:16am On Jul 02, 2009
let them keep nullifying
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Nezan(m): 9:48am On Jul 02, 2009
sley4life:

let them keep nullifying
yes-oooooooooo
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by superior1: 5:14pm On Jul 02, 2009
up judiciary, pray for more to come
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Nezan(m): 10:54am On Jul 03, 2009
Femi Killa, Firm Killer grin grin
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 03, 2009
10 pump rifles? And they want correct people to come and become politicians? Oti O! Was he planning to play real life "Rambo" or what?
Men the man bad oh!
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by fuke(m): 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2009
The sack of Kila is yet another tragedy the PDP had brought on all of us. PDP is a virus. when you get into that party no matter how principled you are, you get infested. The party is like a room filled with fresh apple. Just put a couple of rotten apples there, the rest get rotten-ed. That is what PDP does to them. I knew Adefemi Kila long ago. I have always seen him to be urbane and refined. And in all honesty, long before he became a senator he had proved to be a leader of his people. I know at least 10 university graduates he has made success of. You can imagine how disgusted i was when i saw him on the screen shouting "final figure", hours after he was alleged to have been arrested with guns. I had to strain my eyes and be sure it was him i was seeing on the screen. Of course with his trade mark beard,the task was easy. My stomach turned, i almost threw up. Femi Kila, a director o Julius Berger, the Ngeria foremost civil Engineers, Kila a former director of employent. That is what PDP do to people. Segun oni was a decent guy before he became PDP governor. As of now, i doubt if that adjective can be used to describe him with all the going ons in Ekiti. God save us.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Nezan(m): 2:32pm On Jul 10, 2009
wavemasta:

10 pump rifles? And they want correct people to come and become politicians? Oti O! Was he planning to play real life "Rambo" or what?
Men the man bad oh!
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Oluti(m): 8:00am On Jul 12, 2009
If the picture of 'killer' is the best my fellow Nairalander has seen in recent times, I shudder to think of what his other 'gangsterish' picture will look like. How can we even allow such specimen to rig themselves into position of prominent in this country? What is happening in Ekiti? In the old Ondo state, people used to stand up for their right. What is going on? It is time we started sending such ugly looking specimen like killer to the garbage can where they rightly belong.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by TEEZERO(m): 4:07pm On Apr 30, 2011
@globatop: No, this is not the same Kila of NYSC. That one was Folorunsho Kila, I think, and I think he is from Lagos State.
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Stogwu123: 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2011
I wish de same to happen in de case of Ogboru and Uduaghan
Re: Appeal Court Nullifies Senator Kila's Election by Cholls(m): 11:13pm On Apr 08, 2022
blacksta:
10 pump killa
grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reminder: “I Will Lead A War Against Them Like Ojukwu. Am Not Joking” – Wike / Atiku Responds To I Go Dye's Accusations / Bombshell: Ghana President Says Buhari's Govt Is An Ethnic Govt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.