Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,526 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? (2263 Views)

Poll: Do you agree with the governors views?

Yes: 50% (4 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
To a certain extent: 50% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

Does The Koran Really Encourage Faithful Moslems To Kill Christians? / Why Are Black Africans Moslems Considered Inferior By The Arabs Moslems / Why Are Yoruba Moslems Considered Inferior To Hausa Moslems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 8:17am On Jul 01, 2009

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why illiteracy, poverty persist among Moslems, by Shekarau

From Adamu Abuh, Kano

KANO State Governor, Ibrahim Shekarau, yesterday took a cursory look at the socio-economic plight of Moslems in Nigeria and concluded that their parlous state has caused widespread illiteracy and poverty among them.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/30/13.html

Delivering a keynote address at the First Nigerian Islamic Summit organised by a Zaria-based Moslem research and planning in Kano, Shekarau lamented that the condition of the Nigerian Moslems was a sharp contrast to the golden age of Islam, which emphasised spiritual advancement and knowledge acquisition.

The governor said: "The truth is that the story of the Moslem Ummah of Nigeria has become synonymous with poverty, illiteracy, squalor and wasted opportunities. While some of us live amidst plenty, the majority of us live in abject poverty.

"While there are many breakthroughs in science and technology in other parts of the world today, for most of us here, the condition is one of widespread ignorance and backwardness.
"

At the event, Secretary-General, Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs in Nigeria, Lateef Adegbite, canvassed constitutional amendment in Nigeria, with a view to instituting true federalism in the country.

Adegbite argued that it was high time the nation did away with the 1999 Constitution "in view of the fact that Nigeria, as a multi religious country, requires a constitution that is ethics and morality-based".

His words: "We must have a system that is ethically based. Our problems in Nigeria is that we allowed a Constitution that is based on evil while Moslems had allowed themselves to be westernised against the superior civilisation the Koran bequeathed to them."

In a goodwill message, the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa'ad Abubakar, called on Moslems to unite in the interest of the religion and peaceful co-existence with others.

Shekarau, who expressed concern over Nigeria's rating by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) as being among the most underdeveloped countries of the world, added: "Our situation today, no doubt, is in stark contrast to the golden age of Islam, which was a period of temporal as well as spiritual achievement, an age of conquest and brilliance. Islam emphasises the pursuit of knowledge through the Koranic exhortation of Iqra or reading.

"The acquisition of knowledge is where we Moslems in Nigeria or elsewhere in the Moslem world lag behind. Our educational standards are far low and illiteracy is very high among us due to poverty, poor management and inadequate allocation of resources to education."

To the governor, adherence to the principles of good governance and accountability as demonstrated by Prophet Mohammed and the caliphs of Islam is required to redress the identified problems of Nigerian Moslems.

Citing successes recorded in Turkey and Malaysia, Shekarau urged the audience to take advantage of global Halal or Islamic financial institutions market, adding that the Nigerian Moslems can make headway in life, considering the fact that they boast of 1.6 billion-strong Islamic brotherhood worldwide.

He asserted that his administration had heavily invested in education, health care and basic infrastructure like roads and water supply to empower the Kano people who are predominantly Moslems.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 8:17am On Jul 01, 2009
Do you agree with the governor?
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 9:55am On Jul 01, 2009
Do you too agree. You did not comment yourself.

I will ask my imam, ok ?
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Tudor6(f): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2009
Puppet! You can't even think for yourself. . .
At every little opportunity you run to your imam for wisdom. I'm fairly certain your imam is uneducated. No wonder poverty and illeteracy reigns supreme in muslim communities.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Frizy(m): 10:46am On Jul 01, 2009
Tudór:

Puppet! You can't even think for yourself. . .
At every little opportunity you run to your imam for wisdom. I'm fairly certain your imam is uneducated. No wonder poverty and illeteracy reigns supreme in muslim communities.

Not all Imams are uneducated body. Not all.

Abuzola:

I will ask my imam, ok ?

We have to be truthful with ourselves brother, we don't have to ask our Imams about this, many Muslims in Nigeria have an uncosy relationship between Islam and Western Education. I mean the very traditional Muslims, the result is that they withdraw from an active participation that should help to improve Muslims in terms of technological advancement. And the so called Westernized Muslims, many of them have gone so far as regarding the Islamic fundamental practices obsolete.
There is no good between these two extremes, we have to start to formulate how to be well eductaed in fields of science to challenge the dormiant power, and these education would need to be deeply rooted in our Islamic belief-- that's the way forward.

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 11:00am On Jul 01, 2009
Abuzola:

I will ask my imam, ok ?

Do you need to ask your imam to educate you on what is happening in your environment?. From your own point of view, will you agree with the governor?
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Jarus(m): 12:02pm On Jul 01, 2009
Frizy:

We have to be truthful with ourselves brother, we don't have to ask our Imams about this, many Muslims in Nigeria have an uncosy relationship between Islam and Western Education. I mean the very traditional Muslims, the result is that they withdraw from an active participation that should help to improve Muslims in terms of technological advancement. And the so called Westernized Muslims, many of them have gone so far as regarding the Islamic fundamental practices obsolete.
There is no good between these two extremes, we have to start to formulate how to be well eductaed in fields of science to challenge the dormiant power, and these education would need to be deeply rooted in our Islamic belief-- that's the way forward.
Co-signed.

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by muhsin(m): 12:44pm On Jul 01, 2009
Very good, Frizy. You've said it all.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 1:38pm On Jul 01, 2009
Emaka, my imam said the poster is an idle man and i should leave him with his opinion, besides he is a cross member association.

I don talk am, your highnest imam

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by noetic2: 1:40pm On Jul 01, 2009
Abuzola:

Emaka, my imam said the poster is an idle man and i should leave him with his opinion, besides he is a cross member association.

I don talk am, your highnest imam

u actually need to bring ur imam to nairaland, cos u have been embarrassing him with ur posts. why not do a brain transplant with him?
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
Am the honourable imam online. Abuzola please give me 2 minutes to settle the score.

Imam: Emeka, we muslims already know this before you posted it, sharia is the best way to rule a nation. Today saudi arabia has the least crime all over the world, you can contact the U.N office in your locality to comfirm it.
The muslims know that the only way out of poverty and illiteracy is to follow the Quran and hadith, these are the only remedy. The Prophet said seek for knowledge even if is as far to signh referring to china. Also in a tradition he said 'hustle and make urself rich as if you will not die tomorrow and in another he said 'do good as if you will not reach the next hour'.
Abuzola u can now takeover.

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by noetic2: 1:56pm On Jul 01, 2009
Abuzola:

Am the honourable imam online. Abuzola please give me 2 minutes to settle the score.

Imam: Emeka, we muslims already know this before you posted it, sharia is the best way to rule a nation. Today saudi arabia has the least crime all over the world, you can contact the U.N office in your locality to comfirm it.
The muslims know that the only way out of poverty and illiteracy is to follow the Quran and hadith, these are the only remedy. The Prophet said seek for knowledge even if is as far to signh referring to china. Also in a tradition he said 'hustle and make urself rich as if you will not die tomorrow and in another he said 'do good as if you will not reach the next hour'.
Abuzola u can now takeover.

grin grin This is interesting.
Saudi also has the highest rate of under-age marriage. . . . . . . .

since ur imam is a literate, what stops him from having his own username? and hopefully come and ejaculate his knowledge or ignorance on the forum. Abeg, dont crack me with laughter grin grin grin
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 2:08pm On Jul 01, 2009
*imam takes over the stage again*

i see you nutshell as a troublemaker, by the way what are you doing in muslim section. I believe my boy Abuzola has been handling you, thats good.

Saudi arabia has high rate of under-age marriage while America, europe and many christian countries have high rate of under age rape, sex and indency.
See the differences.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by noetic2: 2:23pm On Jul 01, 2009
Abuzola:

i see you nutshell as a troublemaker, by the way what are you doing in muslim section. I believe my boy Abuzola has been handling you, thats good.

Saudi arabia has high rate of under-age marriage while America, europe and many christian countries have high rate of under age rape, sex and indency.
See the differences.

dont u consider it ignorant and foolhardy that the ignorance of ur boy has been continuously revealed. he is fast becoming an embarrassment to allah and mohammed.

why dont u come and bail him out? why dont u just register and join the forum? we await ur ejaculation of mass delusion and ignorance.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Frizy(m): 2:25pm On Jul 01, 2009
Abuzola:

i see you nutshell as a troublemaker, by the way what are you doing in muslim section.  I believe my boy Abuzola has been handling you, thats good.

See the differences.

I always like this Sheikh/Imam bonds between Muslim followers, it brings a sense of hope and guides our Islamic understanding from being disrupted. I would also like to bring my Sheikhs sometime on this forum to defend the Muslims and guide them in faith. And ultimately to defeat the Kafirs. That I promise.

You will hear from them soon.

May Allah elevate your status, Imam Abuzola. cool

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by noetic2: 2:28pm On Jul 01, 2009
Frizy:

I always like this Sheikh/Imam bonds between Muslim followers, it brings a sense of hope and guides our Islamic understanding from being disrupted. I would also like to bring my Sheikhs sometime on this forum to defend the Muslims and guide them in faith. And ultimately to defeat the Kafirs. That I promise.

what stops u from obtaining the same knowledge as ur imam? ur imam probably knows that Jesus is Lord and has been hiding it from u.

u need to learn and move out of the delusive box and propaganda u are continuously fed with.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 01, 2009
@noetic,
proove that all of it is propaganda.start a new thread.
@topic,
I think it is both ways,.
The richest Nigerians comprise of a lot of muslims and the poorest, also include a lot of the muslims. Both ways the muslims are of a considerable number. It's saddening though,. This world that has the potential of being a lesser paradise has been turned into a lesser hell for so many, due to some people's immense greed.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 6:15pm On Jul 01, 2009
Frizy:

This is the same bond between chrsitians and their pastors that I find sickening. God gave you a functional brain and mind. If you must stick to religious ideology, read the bible or koran and interpret them yourselves. that is why you are educated.

Do you believe that some uneducated imams can interpret the koran wrongly?. You can actually interpret the book better than them.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by olabowale(m): 8:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
@Aloy-Emeka: It is the Quran. No real muslim will write it with a K. But lets leave that aside.

Imams do not have to be secularly educated before is deemed educated. Education did not start from the Western countries. The Oldest Universities are within the Muslim societies: Egypt, Morrocco. The Cap and gown used in matricualtions/graduations are copied from Al Ahzar University academic dressing/graduation symbols.

During slavery, the Muslims among the slaves were capable of reading and writing and were feared most by their masters. Islam compulsory education on the worshippers. The very first verse revealed says "REad" as the very first word. When you take declaration of faith, you have to start mastering the Quran, immediately, because you need it to perform you daily Salah.

It is true that the muslims are now at the bottom of the academic ladder, while they should be the ones performing the most advanced experiments and engaged in the best of technologies. It one reads the Quran, it engages you to a challenge of academic prowess.

The Egyptians used to have their best and brightest in Islamic academia. But today, they throw their damaged; like blinds, and crippled into Islamic education. These same people will be so good that they often combines the Secular along with the Islamic. I have seen many of them. MashaAllah, the become the best and the brightest and the ones who are preferred because of their theological academic.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Tudor6(f): 9:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
Olabs you have to admit however that islamic education has failed to adapt to our fast changing world instead it's still stuck in the stone age. This makes islamic education equivalent to inadequate or no eduction at all.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Tudor6(f): 9:53pm On Jul 01, 2009
Olabs you have to admit however that islamic education has failed to adapt to our fast changing world instead it's still stuck in the stone age. This makes islamic education equivalent to inadequate or no eduction at all.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by noetic2: 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2009
fellis:

@noetic,
proove that all of it is propaganda.start a new thread.

Typical RUBBISH.

whats there to prove?
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 1:02am On Jul 02, 2009
Too bad to see people bleating like goat

islamic scholars or imam are highly islamic educated, they ve furthered their learning through various institution to high level standard, is like a primary school boy who learned elementary science in class and thinks he knows all about science, no ! There are some things that a pupil need to ask his senior in the university or higher education because the knowledge they acquired can't be compare with yours.

Islam is not lke christianity where if u know the bible you are a pastor. Islam has more than 7 courses with regard to belief

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Tudor6(f): 4:07am On Jul 02, 2009
Shut up abuzola. Half baked education is illeteracy as well.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Nobody: 5:04am On Jul 02, 2009
@noetic,
I am not surprised. Without davidylan, you can hardly write anything cerebral, so you just write, 'what's there to proove?' when asked to substantiate your claims.

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 02, 2009
^^^^^

you noticed as well cheesy

noetic na follow follow christian who does his best work from behind the dawoda and osisi.

on his own, na incoherent oneliners cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by AloyEmeka9: 7:23am On Jul 02, 2009
olabowale:

@Aloy-Emeka: It is the Quran. No real muslim will write it with a K. But lets leave that aside.
thank you.
olabowale:

Imams do not have to be secularly educated before is deemed educated. Education did not start from the Western countries. The Oldest Universities are within the Muslim societies: Egypt, Morrocco. The Cap and gown used in matricualtions/graduations are copied from Al Ahzar University academic dressing/graduation symbols.
So the governor and the sultan were wrong in their statement?

olabowale:
During slavery, the Muslims among the slaves were capable of reading and writing and were feared most by their masters. Islam compulsory education on the worshippers. The very first verse revealed says "REad" as the very first word. When you take declaration of faith, you have to start mastering the Quran, immediately, because you need it to perform you daily Salah.
Were there muslim slaves in America or are you talking about Europeans taken into slavery by Arabians?

olabowale:

It is true that the muslims are now at the bottom of the academic ladder, while they should be the ones performing the most advanced experiments and engaged in the best of technologies. It one reads the Quran, it engages you to a challenge of academic prowess.
How do they perform the experiments and forge ahead without education?. Are you talking about Iran?

olabowale:

The Egyptians used to have their best and brightest in Islamic academia. But today, they throw their damaged; like blinds, and crippled into Islamic education. These same people will be so good that they often combines the Secular along with the Islamic. I have seen many of them. MashaAllah, the become the best and the brightest and the ones who are preferred because of their theological academic.

Their knowledge of theology will only foster Islamic dogma and may enhance the propagation of Islam in the world but it wouldn't suffice for orthodox education that will help push them up both technologically and materially/financially.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by noetic2: 10:56am On Jul 02, 2009
fellis:

@noetic,
I am not surprised. Without davidylan, you can hardly write anything cerebral, so you just write, 'what's there to proove?' when asked to substantiate your claims.

another RETARDED slave of allah.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 11:28am On Jul 02, 2009
Tudor, atheist are the most stupid of mankind, no proof or evidence, they just utter mere words. What a disgrace

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by JJYOU: 11:36am On Jul 02, 2009
Abuzola:

Tudor, atheist are the most stupid of mankind, no proof or evidence, they just utter mere words. What a disgrace
tudor is one of the most immoral people on NL.

1 Like

Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Tudor6(f): 12:20pm On Jul 02, 2009
JJYOU i can bet you my morality is far more than what you expect.
The pathetic attempt to link atheism to immorality is FOOLISH at best.
Re: Why Illiteracy & Poverty Persist Among Moslems? by Abuzola(m): 12:35pm On Jul 02, 2009
Save ur brat, your true color has shown to everyone, no meed to deny

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) Prophesized The Bloodshed We See Among The Ummah / Will You Attend An Exclusive Matchmaking Event For Muslims? / Happy Eidl Fitr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.