Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,073 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade (18460 Views)

Why It Is Difficult To Graduate With First-class In Nigeria / Taiwo Bankole & Oyindamola Omotuyi Graduate With 5.0 CGPA In UNILAG (Pics) / Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by somcherry(f): 9:30pm On Feb 04, 2016
ronald4lif:

Nne, Kedu? Ote gwa o.
Adim mma. Yeah it's been quiet long.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Ageco(m): 9:53pm On Feb 04, 2016
1. Summary
do your best to summarize the course.
2. Questions
revise past questions if you can
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Dminister(m): 9:53pm On Feb 04, 2016
Who grade don help?
People who graduated with first class are still roaming naija streets.

Protesting: please acquire skills to help yourself!
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by tosyne2much(m): 10:31pm On Feb 04, 2016
This is a brilliant write-up bro

Lemme add a few points

Aside the points the OP has listed, it's paramount to know that the way you answer questions determines your success, to a large extent. In fact, not every student has found the secret to answering questions properly.

However, I got to notice that many students end up with poor grades not because they aren't brilliant or prepared for an exam but because of the way they hop on questions out of ignorance. I used to be a victim of this during the first phase of my programme. I used to hurriedly hop on questions with the belief that, YES I go finish this question cheesy

Please note that when you are asked to DEFINE, you try as much as possible to give a comprehensive definition. You don't just define a term in just two lines and jump to the next question. Try to add some flesh to anything you are asked to define so as to distinguish your definition from that of others

When asked to EXPLAIN a term, explanation talks more than ordinary definition. You have to analytically talk about that term putting your points into paragraphs and in orderly manner; give an example to show that you know what you are explaining, if possible, you could even state the good and bad sides of the term you are asked to explain.

When asked to DISCUSS, it's just like you are trying to convince the reader to subscribe to your points. You could even try to make a contradiction yet stand on your point that you are still on your stand that something is good or bad.

This is the little I think I can come up with

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Sogaz(m): 10:42pm On Feb 04, 2016
danidee10:
in summary

always go to class

always read before the exam

try to answer questions in class

always do your assignments by yourself

and finally pray

You'll definitely make it except your village people do what they know how to do best grin

lobatan
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by lilreese: 10:59pm On Feb 04, 2016
Nice post
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Engineermbugame(m): 11:14pm On Feb 04, 2016
tosyne2much:

Lemme add a few points

Aside the points the OP has listed, it's paramount to know that the way you answer questions determines your success, to a large extent. In fact, not every student has found the secret to answering questions properly.

However, I got to notice that many students end up with poor grades not because they aren't brilliant or prepared for an exam but because of the way they hop on questions out of ignorance. I used to be a victim of this during the first phase of my programme. I used to hurriedly hop on questions with the belief that, YES I go finish this question cheesy

Please note that when you are asked to DEFINE, you try as much as possible to give a comprehensive definition. You don't just define a term in just two lines and jump to the next question. Try to add some flesh to anything you are asked to define so as to distinguish your definition from that of others

When asked to EXPLAIN a term, explanation talks more than ordinary definition. You have to analytically talk about that term putting your points into paragraphs and in orderly manner; give an example to show that you know what you are explaining, if possible, you could even state the good and bad sides of the term you are asked to explain.

When asked to DISCUSS, it's just like you are trying to convince the reader to subscribe to your points. You could even try to make a contradiction yet stand on your point that you are still on your stand that something is good or bad.

tanks for d info.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by dastudent(m): 11:41pm On Feb 04, 2016
At the end of the day. Just do your freaking assignments yourself. It doesn't matter if you get a first class or a pass. It's gonna help you later in life. School teaches you how to structure yourself and achieve goals.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Edigrows: 11:54pm On Feb 04, 2016
if u attend a very good sec schl you will notice there's no much difference between this and secondary schl life, Only clear diff is that you wont be seeing ur parents or relatives that watch and talk to u, u have to watch and take responsibility for urself and ur future
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by tosyne2much(m): 12:01am On Feb 05, 2016
dastudent:
At the end of the day. Just do your freaking assignments yourself. It doesn't matter if you get a first class or a pass. It's gonna help you later in life. School teaches you how to structure yourself and achieve goals.
Intelligently said bro
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by lilreese: 12:04am On Feb 05, 2016
Thanks
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Polymath56: 12:13am On Feb 05, 2016
tosyne2much:

Lemme add a few points

well written bro, u r kinda right in wht u wrote but sumtyms a student needs 2 understand his lecturers marking scheme n mentality..thr r some lecturers in ma dept way back dat luvs brevity n succinctness of answers while odas Luv ur ansas 2 b verbose n detailed...
U could imagine a lecturer dat wld ask u 2 explain sumfin n by d tym u start explaining n u venture exceed 3 lines or thereabout, he won't gv u d full mark u deserved evn if wht u wrote were absolutely correct..
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by tosyne2much(m): 12:27am On Feb 05, 2016
Polymath56:
well written bro, u r kinda right in wht u wrote but sumtyms a student needs 2 understand his lecturers marking scheme n mentality..thr r some lecturers in ma dept way back dat luvs brevity n succinctness of answers while odas Luv ur ansas 2 b verbose n detailed...
U could imagine a lecturer dat wld ask u 2 explain sumfin n by d tym u start explaining n u venture exceed 3 lines or thereabout, he won't gv u d full mark u deserved evn if wht u wrote were absolutely correct..
I'm inclined to agree with you bro. But there's something I got to notice about lecturers. A lecturer who lectures without necessarily looking at his handout at regular intervals always reward students who answer questions in their own understanding with good grades, compared to those ones who look at their handouts every now and then; they might even give you a D if you write anything different from what they have in their handouts. Smh
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by sanandreas(m): 12:33am On Feb 05, 2016
op thank u so much. that time table aspect is what i will work on
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by tchalae: 12:58am On Feb 05, 2016
hmmmmmm
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by daniel5711: 1:22am On Feb 05, 2016
Don't chase women/men, start studying 4 exams on the 1st day of resumption.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Nobody: 2:27am On Feb 05, 2016
Dear OP.. ..

You don't read maths.... you STUDY it.. .
Nice write up tho.. . But this life na 40%preparation 60%luck...

I know of some friends that graduated with 2.1 through spying and blocking.... They are working in a very big firm now through recommendation... . Got loads of cash..

Sometimes it's still not all about grades too in naija.. . It's who you know when know who you nor know... Lols..

Gentle reminder.... hey students. Try also to make good connection while still in school.. . It helps after school ooo... Don't just go there and read read read read.. . Iyatagu??
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Ajol19: 6:34am On Feb 05, 2016
guy na wa ooo there are some courses that it is difficult for you to graduate with first class or upper such courses include physics, maths etc

guy na wa ooo there are some courses that it is difficult for you to graduate with first class or upper such courses include physics, maths etc

Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by FrancisCAF: 7:20am On Feb 05, 2016
Confirmed! But I cry for my country Naija. In Naija Uni, after applying all these rules of engagement, you may likely come out with 2:2 or third class. Except you join the league of sorting. Those cowards and unserious fellows will excel with good grades. Nigeria education system discourages people to read, except you are guided by your policy. God help us
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by iamCross(m): 8:14am On Feb 05, 2016
And don't forget to sort when it's important.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Polymath56: 8:20am On Feb 05, 2016
tosyne2much:
I'm inclined to agree with you bro. But there's something I got to notice about lecturers. A lecturer who lectures without necessarily looking at his handout at regular intervals always reward students who answer questions in their own understanding with good grades, compared to those ones who look at their handouts every now and then; they might even give you a D if you write anything different from what they have in their handouts. Smh
u jst hit d nail on d head... Exactly n very true
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by j1mmy: 11:30am On Feb 05, 2016
What use is the education that Nigerians always talk about

nearly 100 million graduates yet they cannot make candles and matches without some Chinese kids called expatriate doing it for them!

PHD everywhere yet the holders are mentally and socially illiterate.

Farming, vocational and basic technical skills will do better jobs
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by calculator123(m): 12:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
Hermanie:
My problem is feeling down too often. I woke up this morning with zero motivation, couldn't even go to class even though I knew perfectly well that I was missing an account class.
if you don't want ur cgpa to drop,that enough motivation even though i know u cant may not atrend all ckasses,pls attend up to 80%,that should help gracious.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by j1mmy: 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2016
PLANETMARS:
It takes GOD

It takes farming
it takes commonsense

God has nothing to do with it...it is all in your immature african head
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by Kangol99(m): 3:03pm On Feb 05, 2016
A clear focus, discipline and Hardwork.
Re: What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade by professore(m): 4:10pm On Feb 05, 2016
U are very serious about helpinng other people,I can tell from the content of ur write up,nice one op and God bless u.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why A Mathematician Is Preferred To Someone Who Studied Banking For Bank Job / Admission Into Ecotes University Cotonou, Benin Republic / 3 OAU Students' Union Leaders Bag 14 Semesters Suspension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.