Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,069 members, 7,814,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods (2277 Views)

Bus Carrying Goods Got Burnt Up On 3rd Mainland Bridge Today (Photos) / "Fall Of Oil Prices Will Not Affect Nigeria” – Jonathan Assures / How Is Cbn Cashless Policy Going To Affect Your Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 02, 2009
Hello Nairalanders,
i am carriyng out a survey on advertisement and the way it affects consumers' urge to consume such goods and services.
post your views here, be precise as this is a serious project.
thanks.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by iice(f): 7:59am On Jul 04, 2009
If it's food, i get affected.
ok and maybe shoes. . .but any other thing undecided
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by mukina2: 12:22pm On Jul 04, 2009
iice:

If it's food, i get affected.
ok and maybe shoes. . .but any other thing undecided

Yeah, especially when they make you want to grab it off the TV grin
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by tundewoods(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2009
I dont easily get convinced with products or services claims when it come to adverts. But as i am getting older i seem to get convinced about some products and services especially consumer goods but certainly not by services offered by Telecom or Internet Operators or Banking Sector.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by tayoast(m): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2009
Only when I'm contemplatin/considering going for such goods/services.

Asides that, Not a bit.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by TippyTop(m): 1:33pm On Jul 04, 2009
Has no effect on me
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by clomn(m): 2:07pm On Jul 04, 2009
Every good thing advertised draws attention but cost makes you over look them in nigeria. My point is that advert at affordable prices definitely works. cheesy
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by hackney(m): 3:08pm On Jul 04, 2009
Same as tayo_ast.

If im looking to buy something i tend to pay attention to the ads and choose what brand to buy based on it.

Otherwise i dont go out to buy stuff because i saw an ad.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by MUZBO(m): 3:31pm On Jul 04, 2009
Adverts don't sway me, but I look fwd to seeing catchy adverts and that don't mean I'll buy what I don't need.
I'd say adverts would con sway 'less widely informed' people- yes it sounds ironic but an example is that I see Nokia adverts everywhere esp on TV but not much for SonyEricsson so assuming I am not as widely informed as I believe I am now then I should just get to the phone shop and tell em I want Nokia since I'd more likely have heard about it more than others. I use a Sony.E BTW and you can thus argue that I chose it because of some advert too but NO it was the features I needed that I went for. So for those who know what they want adverts won't sway them.
So to us it doesn't matter if Kanu takes peak milk or Gerrard takes Lucozade sport, I just pick up a tin of milk that has the highest energy contents and less fat and anyone is happy.
Less informed people would think peak milk would make them play like Kanu. Thats just wishful thinking.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by sholasys: 4:20pm On Jul 04, 2009
As MUZBO have said I buy things based on the features i want on the particular item, though features are still part of advert but for example one would have gone for peak milk based on advert but i prefer coast milk bc its enrich and contain vitami E.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by PurestBoy(m): 4:24pm On Jul 04, 2009
Doesn't affect my desire to buy any product
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by emmydee(m): 4:40pm On Jul 04, 2009
advert is the in thing. it reminds one of the existence of the product and sometimes, the slogan make one buy a product or service.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by chidichris(m): 5:05pm On Jul 04, 2009
most adverts i see look for fake both in use and price.
cars break bridges and move inside rivers in adverts.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by ifyalways(f): 5:29pm On Jul 04, 2009
Adverts dont affect or move me at all.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by Igwe9(m): 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2009
Adverts affect everybody's, especially when one does not know about the existence of the product, cool it also distinguishes men from boys in term of goods and services advertised cool
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by mystikal(m): 9:45pm On Jul 04, 2009
Whether U believe it or not, Advertisements unconsciously drives U 2 a product, in one way or another
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by naijacutee(f): 10:57am On Jul 05, 2009
I think adverts are solely there to create awareness, not necessarily to compel people to buy the advertised goods. When people know that a certain item exists, they are more likely to consider buying that item at a later date if they happen to need it. That's why businesses are advised to repeat advertising, and not to worry when one advertising campaign doesn't pull as many customers as expected.

Personally, if I see an advert and I like the looks of the product, I make a mental note of it. I won't rush out and buy it immediately, but I will like to be able to revisit the product again, and the easiest and most accessible way I can do that is through the internet. Hence, I will go to the advertisers website and read up on the product.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by vezycash(m): 8:36pm On Jul 05, 2009
Have you ever heard a song that you hated instantly but suddenly, unconsciously, you start singing it?
If it has not happened to you, it has happened to me. So what am I saying? I'm saying that adverts are
meant to dominate your subconscious because at the time of watching that advert, you might have no money, or no
intention of getting that product. But the day you want to fulfill a need and then there are 5 or more options - Guess which
one you will take automatically of course the one you already know.

You already know all the features and can picture how you will use it - infact you do not have to think before you buy it.

That my folks is how Adverts affect your urge to consume.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by Tatase(f): 1:50am On Jul 06, 2009
Adverts have influenced me definitely to buy things especially personal and household hygiene things like body lotion, hair products, deodorant, detergent, or even kitchen cleaner.

And the funny thing is that when I'm influenced I'm usually persuaded to buy something I'm not even in the market for. E.g. I'm very satisfied with my body lotion and my deodorant, I like them and recommend them highly but then I was reading about another lotion in a magazine and I'd been seeing this new deodorant advert and then I saw  them at the store on Friday and got them. I don't know why. Especially when I was already happy with what I had. I think maybe adverts convince you that you can have better and we all always want better.

I have to admit I've been punished a few times for some of my buys. Eg. when I was a child, I loved the Joy soap adverts and convinced my mother to start buying it; unfortunately I reacted to it and it gave me serious rashes and eczema, meanwhile I'd been using Pears prior to that no problem. (That experience made me lose my faith in Nigerian beauty product ads).  On the other hand I've also had good experiences. The body lotion I've been using I found through an advert and it WAS better than the one I had been using before.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by shezy(f): 9:46am On Jul 06, 2009
it does affect me a lot especially food and some other goods as well e.g their was a day i wanted to buy facial powder on which i have a specific one but cause i saw Angelina jolly picture on another i decided to buy both .
up till now i haven't use that particular powder.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by Nezan(m): 9:48am On Jul 06, 2009
I consider adverts as jokes, because most of de time, u never get wat u really want going by adverts cool
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by neeyee(m): 11:43am On Jul 06, 2009
I consider adverts as jokes, because most of de time, u never get wat u really want going by adverts

Are you talking about media advert? if yes, you're correct to some extent. I actually printed my flyers(hand-bills) and hire a bus and people to dispach it to the general public and it worked!!! After trying several means of advertising, which never worked.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by jowea: 3:03pm On Jul 06, 2009
it does if i can afford it but if not even if the thing is pulping out of the screen am not moved.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by shilling(f): 3:13pm On Jul 06, 2009
I'm not really affected by commercials unless it's one relating to food. If it's a really nice ad, then I'll prob try out the product, but if it's disappointing, I don't buy that brand again even though subsequent ads are enticing.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by vezycash(m): 3:35pm On Jul 06, 2009
food no go kill you! say amenn,
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by ayobase(m): 5:31pm On Jul 06, 2009
thank u MUZBO!!
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 06, 2009
1. Ethos

2.Logos

3. Pathos

4. Can the potential consumer (Me) identify with the image? Am I  repelled by the image?

5 Rhetorical effect of the image or Ad

6.Angle of vision such as filters, blurring and focusing of the Ad or even retouching.

7. Overall presentation of the image

8. Does the Ad appeal to me, is it what I really want to buy? Even if I don't NEED it, does the presentation makes me WANT it?

9. Does the product distinguish itself from products of the same consumption? (Like why should I choose that hairspray over the other hair spray?)

10. Is the ad successful in its purpose? (Some companies can put up useless, intangible ads that has nothing to do with what its selling. That turns me off. )
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by GeorgeD1(m): 9:16pm On Jul 06, 2009
not all adverts are worth it. but some are quite catchy and they tend to pull
people to the product being advertised.
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by adetbaba: 7:07am On Jul 07, 2009
I never thought i could be influenced by adverts until one summer afternoon in London, after seeing a Mac Donald advert for Ice Cream, I practically ran down the road to get one. I only realise the ad worked after i got the ice cream
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by Nezan(m): 10:42am On Jul 07, 2009
neeyee:

Are you talking about media advert? if yes, you're correct to some extent. I actually printed my flyers(hand-bills) and hire a bus and people to dispach it to the general public and it worked!!! After trying several means of advertising, which never worked.
is there any other better advert than media?
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by meekas(m): 12:54pm On Jul 07, 2009
Not in anyway. I watch most adverts for the sake of watching them
Re: How Does Advert Affect Your Urge To Consume Goods by sleekymag(m): 2:40pm On Jul 07, 2009
Advertising does affect one's urge to consume goods. It can also repel one from buying a product depending on d way it cuts across. However, advertising on its own is wide, ranging from your regular TVCs, radio jingles, billboards, press ads etc. Sales promotion, sponsorships in sports and entertainment events help endear a brand/product to consumers as well as direct marketing etc. Even product placements in films, TV programs also help though someare more subtle in conveying d selling message than others. So d options are wide. For regular adverts, repetition and exposure to right target market with the right media vehicle is the key to success.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sefteg Is Paying Investors Back (Liquidation) / New Trick For Opening U.S. Fiverr Accounts / Where Can I Learn Shoe Making In Benin, Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.