Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 (36770 Views)

Important Information For Those Upgrading Their Airtel Sim To 4G LTE. / And Here Is How To Get 1.5gb For 500 On Your Airtel Sim! / Data Users, Why You Should Get Yourself An Airtel Sim. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by livebullet(m): 2:06am On Feb 07, 2016
ceejay80s:
Its a simple case , u can become a millionaire over night, just report to ncc, police and EFCC and also get a lawyer, they will pay u half of what ncc told mtn to pay ,since they are not ready to do their job, I don't understand how u can do a sim swap or welcome back without a form of identification , na u dey slow, if na me, I go don go price the two jeep wey I go drive after I win the court case

My dear ..u knw how much lawyer go chop? @ d end of d day she cant win d case. She loses money both ways.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Nobody: 2:29am On Feb 07, 2016
ceejay80s:
Its a simple case , u can become a millionaire over night, just report to ncc, police and EFCC and also get a lawyer, they will pay u half of what ncc told mtn to pay ,since they are not ready to do their job, I don't understand how u can do a sim swap or welcome back without a form of identification , na u dey slow, if na me, I go don go price the two jeep wey I go drive after I win the court case
, she said they must have used her Id that was among the stolen items,so does it mean that airtel workers just collected the id and didn't even look at the face to know if the id matched the face? What about finger print? Go find a very brave hungry lawyer, he will use red eye for airtel and get his cut when pepper rest
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by oloksman1(m): 2:51am On Feb 07, 2016
@ OP, with some Good legal tinx, you can still BURST the fraudster, All U need is go to your back, check your back statement and know where /which account the money was transferred to(if transferred). 2nd is ( i don't know how u would do it sha , maybe if u have a friend that works in d bank which the fraudster uses or something, but) with some bank/legal backing , Use the Fraudster personal details on his account to trace him/her. Its possible , its just that banks staff will not want that kain wahala
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by fbtowner(m): 8:03am On Feb 07, 2016
danie09:
Do you bank with GTBANK? Cos if you do then you will easily rule out the mobile money. She already said in her story that she lost a whopping 400k within thurday night and Friday afternoon, considering GTBANK's daily limit for the mobile banking it is impossible and if you Usetheir internet banking you will understand there are several layers of security involved. I would have believed if she said her cheque book was stolen and the fradustsers forged her signature or cloned her ATM card. But move 400k via mobile money or internet banking without her knowledge is not possible with GTBANK

I can't outline the process out here. And I'm not also guessing. I'm very sure its possible 100% no single doubt.

Just pray u don't be a victim.

And just incase. Never say anything is impossible In the cyber world.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by silasm: 9:17am On Feb 07, 2016
Frauds of this nature happen sometimes. I've had a great experience using Airtel. They take customer complaints very serious. If this complaint is true, then the lady can be rest assured it will be resolved. That's for sure.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Haryor3(m): 9:30am On Feb 07, 2016
wow there's always a new way to scam in this country. She should just reach out to Airtel, they have the best customer care.

FlirtyKaren:
My name is Adetoke Oluwo. I feel it is necessary I share my story so as to shed light to the way fraudsters dupe unsuspecting Nigerians and also to expose the shady AIRTEL STAFF who aided them.

My purse with other documents and ID cards were stolen last year April and as usual, I got an affidavit for it.
This year January, I got a call from Airtel Ibadan concerning a sim swap I wanted to do in Ibadan (I work and live in Lagos). I immediately informed them that it's fraud when
they told me the person brought one of the id cards that was stolen.
I immediately went to AIRTEL IKEJA CITY MALL to report and told them to flag and fortify security on my sim as my Airtel line is connected to all my Bank accounts. I even asked how it was possible for anybody to walk in and almost swapped my sim without any form of security . The staff said they will do something about it.
On Thursday night, 4th of February, I noticed my network was down and I waited till Friday to go report and they told me to wait for hours. THEY DID NOT TELL ME MY SIM HAD BEEN SUCCESSFULLY SWAPPED BY FRAUDSTERS, The Staff tried to hide it and told me to fill a form of sim replacement. I did not know at that point that my money was being moved as I sat there!!!
I left the Office and discovered on my other phone that 400 THOUSAND NAIRA HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED FROM MY GTB ACCOUNT THROUGH MOBILE MONEY WITH THAT NUMBER ALL THE WHILE MY SIM WAS DOWN FROM THURSDAY NIGHT TO FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
My email address must have been seen in one of the documents stolen,and the number is where Yahoo would send my recovery password to. All it took them was to SWAP MY SIM and click on forget password to access my email that had my Bank details saved.
It was when I went back to AIRTEL IKEJA CITY MALL to shout that the Staff told me my Sim had been Swapped. Before they lied that it was damaged and told me to fill a form for REPLACEMENT! !!

I requested for the Staff who swapped my sim for this FRAUDSTERS and they refused to say anything. They even harassed me and sent me out of their store for causing nuisance.

This money is meant to be part of the Course I saved a Year for to go study in London, I was maltreated and duped and an AIRTEL STAFF AIDED THE FRAUDSTERS. EVEN AFTER I COMPLAINED SINCE JANUARY FOR MY SIM TO BE FORTIFIED!!

BECAUSE HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE WHO ISN'T ME TO SUCCESSFULLY SWAP MY LINE WHEN THEY HAD MY PICTURE RIGHT INFRONT OF THEM!!!

PLEASE SHARE SO I CAN GET MY MONEY BACK, SO JUSTICE CAN BE DONE, SO OTHER NIGERIANS TOO CAN LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND PROTECT THEMSELVES. PLEASE SHARE.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/scam-alert-lady-cries-out-after.html
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by ItsMeAboki(m): 9:52am On Feb 07, 2016
dumo1:
Report them to NCC sharp sharp what nonsense. Have you been to their office at ikeja under bridge?

And also to EFCC, I suspect collusion on part of Airtel staff or at best negligence, which in any case you have valid cause to sue them for damages. Good luck.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by silasm: 10:09am On Feb 07, 2016
That might be a hasty conclusion. The important thing is for her to escalate it to the relevant guys at Airtel. They will get this resolved for her. The sympathies and theories on here won't get this fixed for her. I know for sure that if the claim is true, then it will be resolved.

ItsMeAboki:

And also to EFCC, I suspect collusion on part of Airtel staff or at best negligence, which in any case you have valid cause to sue them for damages. Good luck.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by oairhunmwunde: 10:17am On Feb 07, 2016
Frm ur story, it is not possible for fraudstars to ave acess to ur account via ur mail.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by chichinastic(f): 11:00am On Feb 07, 2016
Pls kindly contact Hembelembe(The voice of the voiceless) in Abuja or petition NASS immediately.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by nautica56: 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2016
Had a similar issue with another service provider. My advice is to formalize your complaint, by reporting the case to the police and it will be sorted out. I must say in my case it was someone very close to me who had gone to the shop to swap my line and defrauded me.

FlirtyKaren:
My name is Adetoke Oluwo. I feel it is necessary I share my story so as to shed light to the way fraudsters dupe unsuspecting Nigerians and also to expose the shady AIRTEL STAFF who aided them.

My purse with other documents and ID cards were stolen last year April and as usual, I got an affidavit for it.
This year January, I got a call from Airtel Ibadan concerning a sim swap I wanted to do in Ibadan (I work and live in Lagos). I immediately informed them that it's fraud when
they told me the person brought one of the id cards that was stolen.
I immediately went to AIRTEL IKEJA CITY MALL to report and told them to flag and fortify security on my sim as my Airtel line is connected to all my Bank accounts. I even asked how it was possible for anybody to walk in and almost swapped my sim without any form of security . The staff said they will do something about it.
On Thursday night, 4th of February, I noticed my network was down and I waited till Friday to go report and they told me to wait for hours. THEY DID NOT TELL ME MY SIM HAD BEEN SUCCESSFULLY SWAPPED BY FRAUDSTERS, The Staff tried to hide it and told me to fill a form of sim replacement. I did not know at that point that my money was being moved as I sat there!!!
I left the Office and discovered on my other phone that 400 THOUSAND NAIRA HAS BEEN TRANSFERRED FROM MY GTB ACCOUNT THROUGH MOBILE MONEY WITH THAT NUMBER ALL THE WHILE MY SIM WAS DOWN FROM THURSDAY NIGHT TO FRIDAY AFTERNOON.
My email address must have been seen in one of the documents stolen,and the number is where Yahoo would send my recovery password to. All it took them was to SWAP MY SIM and click on forget password to access my email that had my Bank details saved.
It was when I went back to AIRTEL IKEJA CITY MALL to shout that the Staff told me my Sim had been Swapped. Before they lied that it was damaged and told me to fill a form for REPLACEMENT! !!

I requested for the Staff who swapped my sim for this FRAUDSTERS and they refused to say anything. They even harassed me and sent me out of their store for causing nuisance.

This money is meant to be part of the Course I saved a Year for to go study in London, I was maltreated and duped and an AIRTEL STAFF AIDED THE FRAUDSTERS. EVEN AFTER I COMPLAINED SINCE JANUARY FOR MY SIM TO BE FORTIFIED!!

BECAUSE HOW IS IT POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE WHO ISN'T ME TO SUCCESSFULLY SWAP MY LINE WHEN THEY HAD MY PICTURE RIGHT INFRONT OF THEM!!!

PLEASE SHARE SO I CAN GET MY MONEY BACK, SO JUSTICE CAN BE DONE, SO OTHER NIGERIANS TOO CAN LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND PROTECT THEMSELVES. PLEASE SHARE.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/02/scam-alert-lady-cries-out-after.html
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by ewizard1: 3:29pm On Feb 07, 2016
kallmemrB:
Honestly she should sue Airtel cos how can you swap a sim for an alien when you clearly have all the owners details and pic on ur Database
Exactly what baffles me! Very high rate of Conspiratorial Fraudulentivity!
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by ewizard1: 3:40pm On Feb 07, 2016
oairhunmwunde:
Frm ur story, it is not possible for fraudstars to ave acess to ur account via ur mail.
I think it is...

Remember the Purse was stolen which probably contains;
- Her phone mumber (W)
- Her email address (X)
- ID Card (Y)
- ATM Card (Z)

The thief's first move was to go do a SIM swap using (Y). If successful, try the money tranfer short code (Like GTB's 737) which needs the last 4 digit on (Z) to complete. If the theif needs any email information, just tell the email provider you forgot your password to (X) and would require (W) in Gmail's case, once you can provide the (6 digits i think) sent to the phone, password would be changed successfully.

Thats it.

1 Like

Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:02pm On Feb 07, 2016
FlirtyKaren you are dealing with a corporate entity here not some roadside hump of a company. Get a lawyer! Airtel should not be allowed to do this to you and walk free. That they even sent you out of their office is unbelievable in itself. Wish you Goodluck
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 07, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
FlirtyKaren you are dealing with a corporate entity here not some roadside hump of a company. Get a lawyer! Airtel should not be allowed to do this to you and walk free. That they even sent you out of their office is unbelievable in itself. Wish you Goodluck

this didnt happen to me dear. i culled it from Laila's blog
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Dynamite02: 6:18pm On Feb 07, 2016
Toscoas2:
I doubt d authenticity off Ds story, how could they get ur Atm pin? or how could they went to bank to withdraw ur money without ur mandate?. that d fraudsters were able to access ur email, doesn't mean they could access ur bank details, except u save ur ATM PIN inside ur email. so more explanation on that.
You don't need those details for mobile transfer, all you need is the transfer code for your bank and some digits on your atm card ...shekina!!!!
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by hharsnan(m): 6:59pm On Feb 07, 2016
My advice for you is that you petition NCC and cc EFCC ICPC Airtel themselves and the IGP. I assure you will hear from airtel within 5 minutes. Was a victim of such with dstv d speed with which my issue was solved was faster than usain bolt
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Janey411: 8:13pm On Feb 07, 2016
Oh wow. She should reach out to Airtel immediately. They'd get this fixed for her. A close friend once experienced something of this nature on another network and got it fixed. Meanwhile this is a wake up call for everyone to guard their data and information jealously. It could have been worse than this. This lady should also accept some responsibility. Who loses their phone, their atm cards and access to their emails. GTB has multiple layers of security when transferring money. Did she block her atm card to render the last four digits invalid. Did she inform her bank to stop all online transactions on her account. A closer scrutiny of this story will show there's so much the lady isn't saying
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Janey411: 8:19pm On Feb 07, 2016
You're saying the same things too. Did they steal her atm card? If yes, did she ask her bank to block it? If she checks well I'm sure she'll find out its someone close to her that pulled the stunt. Cases like this are almost always perpetuated by close relatives. She should just take the right step and contact them. So far I've been with them they've proven to be a fab network. It's jut sad that happened to her.

Dynamite02:

You don't need those details for mobile transfer, all you need is the transfer code for your bank and some digits on your atm card ...shekina!!!!
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by bb6xt(m): 8:53pm On Feb 07, 2016
sonofananimal:
remember! daily limit is 100k or for online transaction

But the OP's Sim was swapped for almost a week before Airtel could do anything about it. So it is very possible they had enough time to take 400k from her account.

One can argue that it is easy to get the identity of the thief by tracing the account but you well know there are many out there who have been declared wanted for years without being caught.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Janey411: 9:06pm On Feb 07, 2016
That's a week without her asking her bank to place a restriction on her account. Also, she apparently didn't say anything about whether she lost her atm card or not. Remember you need the last four digits to confirm a transaction

bb6xt:

But the OP's Sim was swapped for almost a week before Airtel could do anything about it. So it is very possible they had enough time to take 400k from her account.

One can argue that it is easy to get the identity of the thief by tracing the account but you well know there are many out there who have been declared wanted for years without being caught.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by bb6xt(m): 9:23pm On Feb 07, 2016
Janey411:
That's a week without her asking her bank to place a restriction on her account. Also, she apparently didn't say anything about whether she lost her atm card or not. Remember you need the last four digits to confirm a transaction

FlirtyKaren:

My purse with other documents and ID cards were stolen last year April...

You may be right about the ATM but from her post it is likely her ATM was part of the things she lost, that's just a conjecture though. Regarding contacting her bank she should have done so when she lost her ATM if she did lose it. However, it is not possible for her to have known after the withdrawals started as her Sim had been swapped at that point and so no alerts.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by Nobody: 12:44am On Feb 08, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

The points you made are valid and also she should report to her bank so they trace the stolen money to the account it was transferred into and trace s owner of that account with d persons bvn number afterall that's the main reason why bvn was introduced. To prevent cases of fraud such as this
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by dragnet: 3:29pm On Feb 10, 2016
unfortunately this story is true.
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by joey150(m): 9:10pm On Feb 10, 2016
How did they get your email password then?
Re: Fraudsters Swap Lady's Airtel Sim And Steal Her N400,000 by dragnet: 7:33am On Feb 11, 2016
joey150:
How did they get your email password then?

this is more like a targeted attack.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Download Fifa 2020 Ppsspp Iso For Andriod (new) / Android Users Strictly-How to use Mtn's Unlimited Bis on your Droid...!!! / My Brother Set His Iphone Back To 1970

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.