Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award (6405 Views)

2014 CAF African Women's Championship - Namibia 2014 / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / CAF African Nations Championship: South Africa 2014 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by spencer(m): 11:16pm On Nov 09, 2005
Okocha, Martins not among Africa best nominees

Austin Jay Jay Okocha and Obafemi Martins were not among the players nominated for the CAF Award. What exactly are the criteria used in this regards?
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by FOD(m): 12:45pm On Nov 10, 2005
It's sad to see that no nigerian player is among the five nominated players for the CAF awards.

J J Okocha's exclusion didn't come to me as a surprise because he's been out of form lately. Besides, his preference of his club (Bolton Wanderers) to the national team, didn't help matters. Obafemi, I would say, has been unlucky. He does well in his club and in the colors of national team. I'm stil shocked by his exclusion from the list. Even Yakubu ought to have been short-listed too.

I do not know all the criteria but here are some - Charisma, Commitment etc. Don't forget that there's politics at play too.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by Seun(m): 12:57pm On Nov 10, 2005
CAF announce 5 nominees for African Player of the Year award

The Confederation of African Football in a world press conference held today in Lagos, Nigeria announces the five nominees for the Best African Player of Year in the Globacom/CAF Awards 2005.
They are listed below in alphabetical order:

Didier Drogba (Cote d’Ivoire – Chelsea, England)
Emmanuel Adebayor (Togo – Monaco, France)
Marouane Chamackh ( Maroc – Bordeaux, France)
Michael Essien (Ghana –Chelsea, England)
Samuel Eto’O (Cameroon – Barcelona, Spain)

The African Footballer of the Year and other winners will be announced at the Globacom/CAF Awards in Abuja, Nigeria on January 9, 2006

http://www.cafonline.com/news.php?id=305
Judge for yourself whether Jay Jay Okocha and Obafemi Martins are as good as the nominated African players ...
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by fabian(f): 1:34pm On Nov 10, 2005
This is all a lot of politics. from the list, I'd choose Drogba and I wish he wins, Etoo, will be my 2nd choice. I wish Obafemi Martins was nominated, but well, what can I say? There's still time for him to win, by God's grace. As for Jayjay, he really has not been in form and his performance this season was frankly anything but spectacular.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by c0dec(m): 6:54pm On Nov 10, 2005
it's obvious that eto should win it. his only other competitors are essien and martins. unfortunately, CAF is african so u can expect bullsh*t as always.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by Oracle(m): 3:00am On Nov 11, 2005
cry cry cry

Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by razor(m): 7:44am On Nov 11, 2005
Am not surprised no Nigerian player is among the nominee.

Didier Drogba (Cote d’Ivoire – Chelsea, England) - the man of the moment and he deserves to be crowned
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by blendz4real(m): 5:16pm On Nov 11, 2005
No Nigerian Start appeared on the list!! It is rediculous but I think at least Obafemi Should have been nominated, because Okacha was been cheated last year and I am not suprised his name is not just on the list at all.
Well lets see who wins!!!!!!!!!! smiley
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by playboy(m): 5:51pm On Nov 11, 2005
The choice of the next African Footballer of the year is definitely between Didier Drogba and Samuel Eto'o.Both players have distinuished themselves in the present year and all other nominees have no chance in hell to upstage these two guys.I think Drogba will win
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by otokx(m): 5:06pm On Nov 12, 2005
okocha seems to be an unlucky fellow as for obafemi martins he is still young. Nigerians however should learn to play african politics.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by slary(m): 7:44am On Nov 13, 2005
As far as I'm concerned those nominated for this year's award deserve it, because they are the hotest players we can find around. Kudos to the nominees and DROGBA deserve it.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by legovo(m): 2:43pm On Nov 19, 2005
i hate d CAF thing
everything is controled undergroun based on POLICY,
FROM the past till date
& it would not change, xcept the organisation is totally change
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by spikelord(m): 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2005
It would have been Okocha in 2003, but I see no reason why Eto'o should have won it. He (Okocha) saved Bolton from the jaws of the shark of relegation, helped Nigeria to the third place in the 2004 African Cup of Nations eventhough the penalty given to the Tunisians was controversial and just take a look at what he did against Cameroon in that tournament. I quite agree with the fact that in everything done in Africa, a bulls**t must always be involved. Upon all the awards that were given to Eto'o, he still respects Okocha in all ways cuz he is far better than him. Okocha is a legend in African football and he will always be cuz the nations cup is still ahead of us and we shall know who is who in Africa. Cameroon could not even qualify for the world cup with the almighty Issa Hayatou.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by vichel(m): 6:28pm On Nov 21, 2005
Hey, wat do u expect every other country don't like the

Super Eagles because they know we are the best in Africa.

CAF should be ashamed for themselves, in 2003-2004

Award, Jay Jay should have been d African player of the year.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by tamia(f): 10:10pm On Dec 08, 2005
go ETO go ETO

Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by Taf1(m): 9:14am On Dec 26, 2005
Eto'o definitely deserves to be on this list...and sure favourite to take it again.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by osteen(m): 9:54am On Jan 13, 2006
the CAF african footballer of the year nominees i think all deserved to be nominated b'cos they all represented and showes commitment to there nation team assign and also in there club they are just extra-odinary. The only Nigerian player that i felt should have been duely nominated, despite the fact that he would not beat the Samuel Eto'o to the award is Obafemi Martin, though Ayibeni is doing wonderfully well with middlesbroubh i think he has to work harder in the area of playing selflessly when it comes to playing for Nigeria.

Thumbs up for Eto'o fil this time arround 'cos he really deerve this one. Last one well i think he was powered into it.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by badman(m): 9:32pm On Jan 25, 2006
2003 should have been okocha and not eto i guess its just eto's time to win in 2005
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by otokx(m): 10:11am On Jan 26, 2006
why do some nigerians like talking past tense? if you have never heard or watched Samuel Eto before; seeing what he has done in the two games he has played in this nations cup will surely convince you. Considering that he is only 23 (and thank God he is not a Nigerian who delights in age declaration) you know he is just too much. Is it by head, free kick, outside shot, assist, inside shot? which one. This is the world's second best player 2005? which Nigerian has smelt world number two position b4? Samuel Eto is perhaps second to george weah in terms of success.
Re: CAF African Player of the Year 2005 Award by skima(m): 1:53pm On Jan 26, 2006
Eto'o is the choice this time.. the guy is hot..
Okocha is against him 1998,2003 and 2004 ... too bad.

(1) (Reply)

Who Has More Fans In 9ja? United, Chelse, Arsenal, Liverpool, Barcelona? / AFCON 2012: Gabon Vs Morocco (3- 2) On January 27th 2012 / Okagbare To Feature In London Diamond-League 200M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.