Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,804 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:04 AM

Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse (12564 Views)

I Was Denied Visa At French Embassy For This Reason.... / Pls Help Pls : Poland Visa From Nigeria ,Does It Takes 3 Weeks NOW? / French Embassy In Lagos Sells Visas To The Highest Bidders? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by carpediem1(f): 8:49am On Jul 03, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with getting a short stay visa from the french embassy in London?

My husband (a british citizen) and I (Nigerian with ILR) want to go on a short holiday to Monte Carlo. I've checked the website but I'm still a bit confused about whether or not I need a visa. It says as a spouse of an EEA national you don't need a visa but it also says your permit should have "spouse of an EEA national" stamped on it, which I don't. I've used the online system to book an appointment and the earliest I could get was in August, a few days before we are scheduled to leave. I'd be very grateful if anyone with experience with this could answer a few questions

1. Do I need a visa?
2. Are the visa's granted the same day of the appointment?
3. Are travel insurance, hotel bookings and tickets mandatory? (for EU spouse)
4. Would a postal application sent now be better for a mid August departure?

Thanks
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by seyibrown(f): 9:19am On Jul 03, 2009
I looked into this about 2 months ago as I wanted a trip to france with my hubby.

I didn't consider a postal application at the time and I think it must be because it isn't possible( I don't remember why now - maybe somthing to do with how far from London we live).

You will need to attend an interview. They will need to see your husband's passport. I think they give you back the money you pay or you get some sort of discount. It'll probably be granted same day. Just make sure you take any documents that will support your application with you.
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by carpediem1(f): 9:18am On Jul 04, 2009
thank you, do you know anything about the insurance and hotel bookings?
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by vanesa(m): 1:53pm On Jul 05, 2009
Visit this forum its all about immigration eea and all you need to know.for me i think you don't need a visa but check the site
www.immigrationboards.com

Cheers
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by JJYOU: 2:04pm On Jul 05, 2009
carpe diem:

Does anyone have any experience with getting a short stay visa from the french embassy in London?

My husband (a british citizen) and I (Nigerian with ILR) want to go on a short holiday to Monte Carlo. I've checked the website but I'm still a bit confused about whether or not I need a visa. It says as a spouse of an EEA national you don't need a visa but it also says your permit should have "spouse of an EEA national" stamped on it, which I don't. I've used the online system to book an appointment and[b] the earliest I could get was in August, a few days before we are scheduled to leave[/b]. I'd be very grateful if anyone with experience with this could answer a few questions

1. Do I need a visa?
2. Are the visa's granted the same day of the appointment?

Thanks

last minute.com get your hiusband to call and book an earlier appointment. most of the embassies are flexible
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by Vicjustice: 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2009
carpe diem:

My husband (a british citizen) and I (Nigerian with ILR) want to go on a short holiday to Monte Carlo. I've checked the website but I'm still a bit confused about whether or not I need a visa. It says as a spouse of an EEA national you don't need a visa but it also says your permit should have "spouse of an EEA national" stamped on it, which I don't. I've used the online system to book an appointment and the earliest I could get was in August, a few days before we are scheduled to leave. I'd be very grateful if anyone with experience with this could answer a few questions
  First of all, where are you applying from, what kind of residence permit do you hold?
  Usually, as a spouse or a family member of an EU/EEA citizen, you are supposed to have a kind of permit that visibly indicates so.

carpe diem:

1. Do I need a visa?
  YES, You do need a visa except it is clearly stated in your permit that you're a Spouse/Civil Partner or Family member of an EU/EEA citizen.

carpe diem:

2. Are the visa's granted the same day of the appointment??
  HARDLY WOULD ANY VISA BE GRANTED THE SAME DAY except in an extreme or desperate situation that requires deserved urgency, and in such case, there would be a special intervention by the embassy manager in charge; not just a visa officer. But nevertheless, you will be entitled to a speed processing (if your permit indicates that you're a spouse of an EU/EEA citizen), otherwise, your application will be treated like any other one.

carpe diem:

Yes, you are required to have insurance policy and hotel booking/accommodation details except you have an EU/EEA family member permit. But you are (no longer) obliged to purchase a ticket before visa is granted

carpe diem:

This has got to do with the policy of the embassy and how they treat visa applications.
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by carpediem1(f): 3:48pm On Jul 05, 2009
vanesa:

Visit this forum its all about immigration eea and all you need to know.for me i think you don't need a visa but check the site
www.immigrationboards.com

Cheers

Thanks ever so much for the link to the forum, I got everything I needed to know from people who had gone through the process as well.

I actually do need a visa!

JJYOU:

last minute.com get your hiusband to call and book an earlier appointment. most of the embassies are flexible

thanks for your response, I already have the hotel booking, wish I had used lastminute.com though I saw some better deals, I used expedia. Just didn't know if getting insurance was mandatory for EU spouses, now I know its not.
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by carpediem1(f): 4:53pm On Jul 05, 2009
Thanks for your response, your questions were actually answered in my first post,

Vicjustice:

First of all, where are you applying from, 

carpe diem:

Does anyone have any experience with getting a short stay visa[b] from the french embassy in London?
[/b]

Vicjustice:

what kind of residence permit do you hold?

carpe diem:

My husband (a british citizen) and I (Nigerian with ILR)

I have an indefinite leave to remain in the UK - ILR
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by carpediem1(f): 5:52pm On Jul 05, 2009
ok, so here's the gist I've gotten so far from here and the immigration board forum. Thought I'd put it all down in case someone else is in a similar situation. This is strictly for a non EU spouse.

1. I do need a visa but it will be issued free of charge.

Spouses of British citizens require visas because their residence permit does not bear the endorsement " family member of EEA national" as required by the art 10 of the European Council/Parliament Directive 2004/38 CE.

Required documents
- A full national passport or official travel document valid for more than 3 months beyond the validity of the requested visa, with a blank visa page to affix the visa sticker. Your British residency should be stamped onto your passport.

- One application form duly completed and signed by the applicant
- 2 passport-sized photographs.
- You may be requested to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Your spouse's European Union passport;
- Your original Marriage Certificate with official translation (certified by a consular officer) if not in French or English.
- If your Marriage Certificate has been issued outside the European Union, it must be stamped by the Foreign Office of the issuing country, or its Embassy in the UK

2. I will most probably not receive my visa on the same day because I come from a country where my passport has to be sent for "consultation" with other Schengen countries, lol. This process usually takes between a week and 4 weeks

3. For an EU spouse travel insurance, hotel bookings, tickets or financial status are not required

4. I can't send my application by post based on where I live

The appointment booking system is either by phone or  online. New online appointments become available every Thursday between 3pm and 5pm. This will also cover cancellations so sometimes you can get earlier dates. As at now, the online appointments available are for the end of August.

I'll update the thread after I get the visa.

Thanks again to everyone that took the time to respond
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by MzDynamite: 9:50am On Jun 09, 2010
Hi Carpe Diem - did you ever get that french visa as a nigerian spouse with ILR? I need to get a visa now and I am not quite sure how long its going to take. Also, I got married in Nigeria so where do I go to get my marriage certificate endorsed, any ideas?

Thanks - I would be grateful for responses from anyone who knows!
Thanks in advance.
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by seyibrown(f): 4:59pm On Jun 09, 2010
Get it stamped at the Nigerian High Commission in London!
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by MzDynamite: 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2010
Thanks Seyi
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by joxiri: 11:30am On Jun 12, 2010
On this matter it dnt really matter if ur husband is a british citizen
Since u ve a ilr u will get a visa if u meet the requirements,
u just need to do some certain things like health insurance and hotel booking before visa
Can be frustrating but that's how its is
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by carpediem1(f): 8:24pm On Jun 18, 2010
MzDynamite:

Hi Carpe Diem - did you ever get that french visa as a nigerian spouse with ILR? I need to get a visa now and I am not quite sure how long its going to take. Also, I got married in Nigeria so where do I go to get my marriage certificate endorsed, any ideas?

Thanks - I would be grateful for responses from anyone who knows!
Thanks in advance.

Hello Mzdynamite (cool name)

Sorry I'm just getting back to you I haven't been regular on the board

It took a week to get the visa after I submited my passport, I also got married in Nigeria and I got my marriage certificate stamped at the nigerian high commission I did it same day and I think it was £45 (not too sure, check their website) postal order. I didn't need to do insurance or hotel bookings because of the EU spouse thing, hope this helps
Re: Schengen Visa From French Embassy London - Eu Spouse by MzDynamite: 11:23pm On Jun 21, 2010
Thanks Carpe Diem, very helpful indeed.
Great - thanks everyone.

(1) (Reply)

Chisco Motors:a Transport Company In Nigeria To Avoid / Ethiopian Airline Airlifts 4 , 500 Passengers From Kaduna Airport In 28 Days / 817 Nigerians Awaiting Evacuation In South Africa - FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.