Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* (54361 Views)

Five Ways Of Making Money Through Photography / Sahara Group Unveils #TheGreenestLoveOfAll instagram Photography Competition / My Photo Manipulation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:17pm On Feb 19, 2016
HyDef:

Wow... I'm learning a lot from you. And I'm a little lucky to have a phone where I can adjust exposure... Couldn't do that on my old one.

Yeah... I've always had issues deciding how long I should set the shutter too, hoping I won't choose too much. I guess less is a little better here than too much.

Yeah... Going out tonight... Hoping to get a better light trail than my last one. Cant wait.

Thanks for the tips man! smiley
You're welcome anytime. Take your time to get it right. If it's too bright, decrease time and Yes less is always better. Good luck
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by Brimmie(m): 7:30pm On Feb 19, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Long time Brimmie.I also have the B/W version and I'll take that into consideration. Thank you so much. How've you been?

I've been good bruhh! Just trying to polish my Videography skill. And how is your Acer Machine? cheesy
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
Brimmie:

I've been good bruhh! Just trying to polish my Videography skill. And how is your Acer Machine? cheesy
Kai! You want me to start drooling about my machine. Mhen! Every time I remember how you guys helped me into picking up the Acer I just keep smiling and Say God bless those people. It's lightning fast ever day, back to back. cheesy Hope to see you soon shooting next Iyanya music video

2 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:45pm On Feb 19, 2016
All monochrome wink All Mobile pictures.

3 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2016
From tomorrow I'll be uploading few of my portrait photoshoot and the complicated shots (the ones I love the most) and how I got them.

Please subscribe and please drop your observations. wink
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 3:50pm On Feb 20, 2016
SmooshCHN:
From tomorrow I'll be uploading few of my portrait photoshoot and the complicated shots (the ones I love the most) and how I got them.

Please subscribe and please drop your observations. wink

Can't wait! I'm excited for the portraits. The iPhone 5s takes mighty good pictures looking at that last one.

Realized my phone has a professional mode which allows for manual focusing... Had fun playing with that yesterday.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by Brimmie(m): 6:10pm On Feb 21, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Kai! You want me to start drooling about my machine. Mhen! Every time I remember how you guys helped me into picking up the Acer I just keep smiling and Say God bless those people. It's lightning fast ever day, back to back. cheesy Hope to see you soon shooting next Iyanya music video

Lol.. I 'ld prolly be doing more TV Commercials. The Music Industry is saturated already.

I'm following this thread bumper-to-bumper.

1 Like

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 9:28pm On Feb 21, 2016
1. In preparation for a shoot.
2. A friend.
3. Portriat of a Chinese friend. Won't lie, I was very much angry on this day due to some racist shit, useless joke flying in the air but one has to do what he has to do.

3 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by omohayek: 9:45pm On Feb 21, 2016
SmooshCHN:
1. In preparation for a shoot.
2. A friend.
3. Portriat of a Chinese friend. Won't lie, I was very much angry on this day due to some racist shit, useless joke flying in the air but one has to do what he has to do.

What happened, you ran into some jealous Chinese guys? Anyway, congrats on soldiering through, and getting a good picture despite the annoyance.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 9:46pm On Feb 21, 2016
This is one of my favorite images. I'll be explaining how I shot it.

It's no doubt a slow shutter speed photograph in day time. No tripod, no solid ground.

Around 6:00pm Before i got on the horse moving whatever cheesy, I wanted to get exactly this kind of image as i imagined and i knew once this thing starts moving, they'll be no time to check for focus, under or over exposure so i manually focused on my GF, she was kind of in front of me, set my exposure to 2secs and since i knew it'll be 2 secs i used F/22 to aid focusing and balance exposure and the life saving AUTO-ISO. And when it got moving positions changed, the person i focused on was now beside me and for sure focused won't be accurate so i took like 6 shots and this one turned out well. I'll go back to try it when it's night time by summer. I think the light will make it look nice.

2 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 9:58pm On Feb 21, 2016
Another slow shutter speed photo. Handheld. I was at the back of a taxi and the trail of lights are the street lights.

F/2.8
ISO 50
2.5secs

2 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 3:42pm On Feb 22, 2016
SmooshCHN:
This is one of my favorite images. I'll be explaining how I shot it.

It's no doubt a slow shutter speed photograph in day time. No tripod, no solid ground.

Around 6:00pm Before i got on the horse moving whatever cheesy, I wanted to get exactly this kind of image as i imagined and i knew once this thing starts moving, they'll be no time to check for focus, under or over exposure so i manually focused on my GF, she was kind of in front of me, set my exposure to 2secs and since i knew it'll be 2 secs i used F/22 to aid focusing and balance exposure and the life saving AUTO-ISO. And when it got moving positions changed, the person i focused on was now beside me and for sure focused won't be accurate so i took like 6 shots and this one turned out well. I'll go back to try it when it's night time by summer. I think the light will make it look nice.

Interesting image.

You were on one of those swinging thingies... No idea what they are called. And I understand only half of your explanation. But very nice concept.

SmooshCHN:
Another slow shutter speed photo. Handheld. I was at the back of a taxi and the trail of lights are the street lights.
F/2.8
ISO 50
2.5secs

Your black and white images tend to always be astounding. I live the symmetry here. You're talented.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:04pm On Feb 22, 2016
HyDef:

Interesting image.

You were on one of those swinging thingies... No idea what they are called. And I understand only half of your explanation. But very nice concept.

Your black and white images tend to always be astounding. I live the symmetry here. You're talented.
Thanks Bro. What don't you understand? I'll try to explain better.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 10:07pm On Feb 22, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Thanks Bro. What don't you understand? I'll try to explain better.

You said you used F/22 to aid focusing and balance exposure... What exactly does that mean? Plus AUTO-ISO, why so important?

And BTW, I love the picture of the Chinese lady. You kept your cool, and took a great picture.

1 Like

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:53am On Feb 23, 2016
HyDef:

You said you used F/22 to aid focusing and balance exposure... What exactly does that mean? Plus AUTO-ISO, why so important?

And BTW, I love the picture of the Chinese lady. You kept your cool, and took a great picture.
Ok, I'll try to explain more clearly.
Here as at 6 pm it's still daytime and everywhere is still bright. My final exposure was 2secs, F22 AUTO-ISO 50.
Auto ISO is used when you don't have time to manually adjust it. The camera chooses the most suitable for the scene.
First, 2secs with F/2.4 or F/4 in daytime will make the picture totally over exposed and everything should be white normally. I used F22 for two reasons
1. the camera light meter shows the scene will be over exposed if i use anything below F12.
2. For focusing; So since i'm also on the ''swinging thingies'' the camera was strapped to my neck and resting on my lap so there's no chance to adjust camera settings once there's movement. When using lower F stops like F1.8, F2, F4, F5.6 or even lower, you'll get shallow depth of field and less part of your image will be in focus unlike F22 in which everything would seem to be in focus.
If i had used F2.8, the picture would be totally white and also almost everything might be blur. If you have a camera you should try long exposure in daytime you'll see why you need F16 and above.

3 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 8:16am On Feb 23, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Ok, I'll try to explain more clearly.
Here as at 6 pm it's still daytime and everywhere is still bright. My final exposure was 2secs, F22 AUTO-ISO 50.
Auto ISO is used when you don't have time to manually adjust it. The camera chooses the most suitable for the scene.
First, 2secs with F/2.4 or F/4 in daytime will make the picture totally over exposed and everything should be white normally. I used F22 for two reasons
1. the camera light meter shows the scene will be over exposed if i use anything below F12.
2. For focusing; So since i'm also on the ''swinging thingies'' the camera was strapped to my neck and resting on my lap so there's no chance to adjust camera settings once there's movement. When using lower F stops like F1.8, F2, F4, F5.6 or even lower, you'll get shallow depth of field and less part of your image will be in focus unlike F22 in which everything would seem to be in focus.
If i had used F2.8, the picture would be totally white and also almost everything might be blur. If you have a camera you should try long exposure in daytime you'll see why you need F16 and above.

Ah, I completely understand now.

Lower F number is a wider aperture, let's in more light... Am I right there?

Higher exposure itself allows more light to reach the sensor, cuz you're keeping it open. I've tried increased shutter speed in day time, got a white picture as you said.

Lower F numbers also allow for shallower depth of field, they take the background out of focus. A larger F number will seemingly make everything focused.

I got it! Thanks man!

1 Like

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 9:58am On Feb 23, 2016
HyDef:

Ah, I completely understand now.

Lower F number is a wider aperture, let's in more light... Am I right there?

Higher exposure itself allows more light to reach the sensor, cuz you're keeping it open. I've tried increased shutter speed in day time, got a white picture as you said.

Lower F numbers also allow for shallower depth of field, they take the background out of focus. A larger F number will seemingly make everything focused.

I got it! Thanks man!
Na people like you dey carry first class grin grin 100% correct.

1 Like

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 6:05pm On Feb 23, 2016
Was out today in the rain.
Original vs Edited

2 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 7:24pm On Feb 23, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Was out today in the rain.
Original vs Edited

I prefer the edited picture. Wonderful shot.

Do you use autofocus or manual?
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 7:42pm On Feb 23, 2016
HyDef:

I prefer the edited picture. Wonderful shot.

Do you use autofocus or manual?
For camera I mostly use auto focus and for phone I use touch focus. This shot was taken with my phone.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 1:21am On Feb 24, 2016
SmooshCHN:
For camera I mostly use auto focus and for phone I use touch focus. This shot was taken with my phone.

Alrighty. Thank you for all your help and advice so far. Learned A LOT.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by Nobody: 9:56pm On Feb 25, 2016
Wow! SmooshCHN, You know Sukie? shocked

Your work is amazing, btw. cool
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 6:16am On Feb 26, 2016
Victoriousvic:
Wow! SmooshCHN, You know Sukie? shocked

Your work is amazing, btw. cool
Yeah. I know him. We're classmates. Are you in Calabar?
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 6:17am On Feb 26, 2016
HyDef:

Alrighty. Thank you for all your help and advice so far. Learned A LOT.
You're welcome Bro
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by Nobody: 6:58am On Feb 26, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Yeah. I know him. We're classmates. Are you in Calabar?
We attended the same secondary school.

Yea, I'm in Calabar.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 9:21am On Feb 26, 2016
Forced myself to go out cos it's just too cold. sad

4 Likes

Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 10:17am On Feb 26, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Forced myself to go out cos it's just too cold. sad

Wow... Don't know which is my favourite... All wonderful. I think I'd say I like the middle one the best. I love the layout of those escalators as well. Makes for a fantastic shot.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 9:14pm On Feb 26, 2016
HyDef:

Wow... Don't know which is my favourite... All wonderful. I think I'd say I like the middle one the best. I love the layout of those escalators as well. Makes for a fantastic shot.
Thank for your encouraging words. You've not been posting much on the other thread. why?

Victoriousvic:

We attended the same secondary school.
Yea, I'm in Calabar.
Oh. I'll lewt him know one of my NL bosses knows him.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by HyDef(m): 12:23am On Feb 27, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Thank for your encouraging words. You've not been posting much on the other thread. why?

Well, apart from the guitar, I've been trying to take pictures, but I'm not 'feeling' any of them if you know what I mean.

I feel that I don't have good subjects around me anymore... I'm not so excited about the pictures I've taken most recently... So I've just left em on my phone... But I'll try my best to post something tomorrow.

Edited: Just posted one though.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by Brimmie(m): 1:16am On Feb 27, 2016
SmooshCHN, my Oga! This ur last picture would make a cool BG picture or wallpaper.

Awesome!! cheesy

BTW: Help me beg dollar to reduce o! Imagine within the space of 2weeks Nikon D5300 is nw 170k frm 138k.

Something I've been saving up for months to buy.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 8:28am On Feb 27, 2016
Brimmie:
SmooshCHN, my Oga! This ur last picture would make a cool BG picture or wallpaper.

Awesome!! cheesy

BTW: Help me beg dollar to reduce o! Imagine within the space of 2weeks Nikon D5300 is nw 170k frm 138k.

Yeah, sometimes it feels that way even for days. I've also not touched my camera for over 2 weeks and feel very very lazy to go out. Just take a break. The passion will resurface.
Re: My Photo Diary: Mobile And DSLR Photography. Updated* by SmooshCHN: 8:35am On Feb 27, 2016
Brimmie:

Awesome!! cheesy

Hahahahaha. I just dey look as some heartless NLders dey talk sey make we come back house if our parents no fit send us money. I'm sure with time, things will come back to normal. Please keep that money o, no let your babe see am o. cheesy All will be well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Hakeemeffect: Advanced Nollywood Special Makeup Effect [ Graphic Images] / Newly Employed Security Draws Eyes On £740,000 1931 Painting In Russia(Pics) / Using Liquid Latex to Create Realistic Wounds and Skin Effects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.