Stats: 3,152,691 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

"Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian (28685 Views)

Lassa Fever: 9 Die In Ondo, 36 Cases Recorded / HIV Vaccine Breakthrough As Experts Generate Immune Cells To Stop Spread / 7 Kinds Of Food You Should Be Eating To Boost Your Immune System (2) (3) (4)

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Oladele652(m): 11:19am On Feb 08, 2016
gigabyte13:
This one don kolo oooo, so the one wey kill people for Ogun state na " lesser favour" abi?

The dead person is from Eboyin State not Yoruba

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by scholes0(m): 11:23am On Feb 08, 2016
Certain ethnic groups exhibit natural immunity tendencies to specific pathogens/diseases.
Probably just due to specific genetic factors unique to them.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Babalegba(m): 11:26am On Feb 08, 2016
[quote author=Oladele652 post=42728487]

The dead person is from Eboyin State not Yoruba[/quote Ignore him. He was unable to master English comprehension at school

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by apholaryn: 11:26am On Feb 08, 2016
Lemon12:
I guess yorubas are also genetically immune to Dirtiness , cultism , cowardice , laziness , brownroof-ness ?

As if no lassa case have be reported in yoruba states .
haba...with d rate u are going, u will soon drop dead.

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by tartar9(m): 11:26am On Feb 08, 2016
Y dem go infect dem brodas
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nobody: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2016
If there's any hot chick out there who needs some Yoruba blood inside them...satisfaction guaranteed, no more Lassa fever fear...The Federal Ministry of Health warns that side effect of Yoruba boy treatment for lassa fever may be pregnancy.. grin

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by oodua1stson: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2016
Lemon12:
I guess yorubas are also genetically immune to Dirtiness , cultism , cowardice , laziness , brownroof-ness ?

As if no lassa case have be reported in yoruba states .
hahahahhaha see this oloriburuku son of a wh0re

Talking about dirtiest, you should tell that to your women selling fufu

And about cowardice, your father called a runaway bastard like ojukwu a hero/zero and you his bastard never do well son called a bigger coward nnamdi kanu omo ale your hero

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by oodua1stson: 11:33am On Feb 08, 2016
Dollyak:
This surely won't go down well on this forum. One of the most ridiculous things I have heard this year
it may not go down well with you because you're sad
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nicepoker(m): 11:34am On Feb 08, 2016
mayor2984:
That's a nice development. Proudly Yoruba.
hahahhaha. Make I send truck load of infected rats to u. Let the owambe begin.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 08, 2016
bebe2:
Okk na,

Pls throw a trailer load of rats in each of the yoruba state's,

And let the Owambe begin grin
lol. no rat fashioned against ondo shal prosper, im pure yoruba and i love it! . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .check my signature
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by mzvyne(f): 11:40am On Feb 08, 2016
Nigerians will believe anytin..

SMH for peeps rushing to sip garri because some random Prof said Yorubas are immune to Lassa Fever.

Its not yet been proven oh... Abeg.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by restored2016(m): 11:49am On Feb 08, 2016
Hmmm! No wonder the yoruba woman(Iya) by our street is always drinking garri despite the warnings of lassa fever, I confronted her to educate her she told me she is immune to the disease.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Iko5000: 11:49am On Feb 08, 2016
Any body the believes this Prof puts his life at risk .
9jii:
This is a blessing for yoruba people.
If you feel good about this, you are a good .
if you feel Sad about this you are a sadist.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Ubenedictus(m): 11:52am On Feb 08, 2016
oodua1stson:

And about cowardice, your father called a runaway bastard like ojukwu a hero/zero and you his bastard never do well son called a bigger coward nnamdi kanu omo ale your hero
DO TWO WRONGS MAKE A RIGHT?

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by FTBOY: 11:54am On Feb 08, 2016
scholes0:
Certain ethnic groups exhibit natural immunity tendencies to specific pathogens/diseases.
Probably just due to specific genetic factors unique to them.
so you follow believe that yeye professor?
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by aalangel(f): 11:56am On Feb 08, 2016
diana158:
so yorubas are free to eat rats abi?

No. The point is that Yorubas are free to drink garri.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by drinkmorewater: 12:00pm On Feb 08, 2016
Yorubas have more or less 80% genetic makeup as the rest of the other Nigerian ethnic groups hence we all should at least be immune. Right?
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Decryptor(m): 12:00pm On Feb 08, 2016
naija8080:
Professor Christian with his sophisticated science shown the door...before he sophisticates us into an epidemic.

Very laughable! First we heard that there was this yam that grows in Yorubaland that when eaten induces the birth of twins and now this!

Chineke mere ndia ebere!! grin grin

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by totit: 12:02pm On Feb 08, 2016
kaeforum:
Swest naija has been the rat capital of the world, its ancestors inter bred with rats, so they are naturally resistant to rats as well as filth.

Mynd44
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by totit: 12:03pm On Feb 08, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
If there's any hot chick out there who needs some Yoruba blood inside them...satisfaction guaranteed, no more Lassa fever fear...The Federal Ministry of Health warns that side effect of Yoruba boy treatment for lassa fever may be pregnancy.. grin

#ProudtobeAyorubaBoi
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by JuanDeDios: 12:10pm On Feb 08, 2016
scholes0:
The same Haplotype responsible for the protection of The Yoruba against the Lassa Fever Virus, were also found among the Esan and other Populations of Edo state, but at lower frequencies.
Then, why is the fever more common in parts of Esanland than most places in Nigeria?

looseweight:
Simply put that the specie of rat carrying the causative agent of lassa fever are rare in the southwest.
I believe so.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Shymm3x: 12:13pm On Feb 08, 2016
scholes0:
The same Haplotype responsible for the protection of The Yoruba against the Lassa Fever Virus, were also found among the Esan and other Populations of Edo state, but at lower frequencies.

Err, if it's based on haplotype - then Fulanis should also be immune to the virus. Yorubas and Fulanis have a lot in common based on haplotype.

Anyway, it's very plausible. Most Nigerians don't even know that the genetic make-up of all the groups in the country aren't the same and the occurrence of certain haplotype in the different groups varies. Yorubas for example have more in common genetically with the Bamilekes of Cameroon, Tutsis of Rwanda, Mandinka all over West Africa, Fante/Ga/Ewe folks of Ghana etc. than 99% of all the other ethnic groups in Nigeria. While Igbos for example genetically have more in common with a lot of groups in East/Central Africa than Nigeria. Ditto Hausas and the Sahel region of Africa. Etc. Just cos folks have the same phenotype, that doesn't mean that they're genetically the same, though they're all from a larger tree that branched out into different things.

There are certain people, especially in East Africa, that are naturally immune to HIV.

Regardless, since it's a Nigerian professor (not dissing the guy) who discovered this - I don't think I'll take it seriously. But there's nothing bad in doing further research on the hypothesis.

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by deadie(m): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
Quack scientist. How about the Yoruba people who died from the disease? How did this m0ron become a professor?

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by scholes0(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2016
Shymm3x:

Err, if it's based on haplotype - then Fulanis should also be immune to the virus. Yorubas and Fulanis have a lot in common based on haplotype.

Anyway, it's very plausible. Most Nigerians don't even know that the genetic make-up of all the groups in the country aren't the same and the occurrence of certain haplotype in the different groups varies. Yorubas for example have more in common genetically with the Bamilekes of Cameroon, Tutsis of Rwanda, Mandinka all over West Africa, Fante/Ga/Ewe folks of Ghana etc. than 99% of all the other ethnic groups in Nigeria. While Igbos for example genetically have more in common with a lot of groups in East/Central Africa than Nigeria. Ditto Hausas and the Sahel region of Africa. Etc. Just cos folks have the same phenotype, that doesn't mean that they're genetically the same, though they're all from a larger tree that branched out into different things.

There are certain people, especially in East Africa, that are naturally immune to HIV.

Regardless, since it's a Nigerian professor (not dissing the guy) who discovered this - I don't think I'll take it seriously. But there's nothing bad in doing further research on the hypothesis.

Other research do exist on the subject matter.
Just search online.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Toosure70: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
Yoruba! stop marrying iPod and abokis. Don't contaminate your genes.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2016
restored2016:
Hmmm! No wonder the yoruba woman(Iya) by our street is always drinking garri despite the warnings of lassa fever, I confronted her to educate her she told me she is immune to the disease.

Lmao! Please it is poverty and illiiteracy that is affecting that mama.

There hasnt even been much awareness on this lassa fever like there was for ebola. There were ebola signboards everywhere, for pple who didnt have access to tv and media.

I think the former minister of health did a fantastic job while this current minister of health is just clueless.
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by oodua1stson: 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
Ubenedictus:
DO TWO WRONGS MAKE A RIGHT?
no. I'm not proud of what I did but some guys here just push people too far
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by kingofchess(m): 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
9jii:
This is a blessing for yoruba people. If you feel good about this, you are a good . if you feel Sad about this you are a sadist.
if you feel good this, you are a goodist... lol...bro na joke oooh
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
Decryptor:

Very laughable! First we heard that there was this yam that grows in Yorubaland that when eaten induces the birth of twins and now this!

Chineke mere ndia ebere!! grin grin
Oyibos actually found that twin thing out during the colonial period. I wonder if its still true cos ive never bn to the village but u can google it. I think its igbo ora or sthn.

Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 08, 2016
scholes0:

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/yoruba-genetically-immune-to-lassa-fever-virus-don/

Oloriburuku ni Prof Christian!!

Oloriburuku ni OP!!

Oloriburuku ni anyone to ba believe e!!!

#SpitOn_Thread
Re: "Yoruba Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus" - Prof. Christian by Nobody: 12:43pm On Feb 08, 2016
oodua1stson:

jesus. bros pity am na

Prison Officer Commits Suicide Over Inability To Pay House Rent / Anambra Extends Lockdown, Tightens Measures, After Recording First Covid-19 Case / We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52