Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,433 members, 7,812,289 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria (28701 Views)

Get Your Health More And More Better Now With Hygiene Made Winter Bedsheets / Why Black Men Need To Take Their Mental Health More Seriously / Ban On Codeine: Lagos Unveils Comprehensive Strategy To Address Mental Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 3:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums. We don't take mental health seriously enough in Nigeria.

I had left office around 5.30 pm and had not gone far when a junior colleague called me that he had left his entire earthly possessions back in the office, vis his house keys, wallet and phone and the admin office was closed. His excuse was he did not know I would be leaving early. After blasting him for his lackadaisical attitude, I told him where to meet me to get my keys. I was already in transit and the traffic was rapidly moving and If he hurried he would meet me at the traffic light before it turned green.

He drove halfway and had to run the remaining half because of the traffic. He was just about 45 seconds away from me and I could see his approaching form, but the lights had changed to green and we were about moving, so I quickly tossed the bunch of keys on a horizontal signboard on the road median. The dude got to me just as we were about to cross and I yelled at him to go back and check the board. He nodded and ran back.

To my chagrin and ongoing bafflement, he called me back that there were no keys on the board. I told him to check properly, on the sides and even under the board. He rang off, and then called back some minutes later, insisting that he couldn't find any keys. I was forced to alight half way and go back to the junction where all these drama was unfolding. I thought my eyes were paining me when I checked and discovered that the bunch of keys had grown legs and run off in the 45 seconds/ 1 minute it took for my colleague to reach the point where I had tossed the keys.

That is how me and this boy started rigmaroling the road median like construction workers, searching through dirt and grass for my large, shiny bunch of keys that had mysteriously disappeared in plain sight. After about 30 minutes of fruitlessly searching even in portions of the median that I knew I had passed before that fateful toss, we were forced to give up after admitting to ourselves that a Lagosian had seen me tossing the keys and immediately pounced on them like the lunatic he was.

Kai, it is still paining my spirit, soul and body. cry

My question now is this: what is anyone going to do with a bunch of keys that is totally useless to him? What?

There is a legion of lunatics roaming freely on this streets of the Gidi. undecided

178 Likes 15 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by ShaqFu: 3:35pm On Jan 12, 2022
You seem not to understand the heart of humans is very wicked, let alone the heart of a Nigerian.

117 Likes 7 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Felimax(m): 3:44pm On Jan 12, 2022
Lagos and the funny stories and mad experience. Thank God I am no longer there. Port Harcourt is better at least with better pay also.
We were inside a bus at Alen junction about to leave for Iyana-ipaja when we started looking for the owner of a big traveling bag who we suspected is also a passenger in the bus, for almost 10 mins nobody could lay claim to the bag, so we decided to give it out or just leave it by the bus stop there that was when this man screamed that he is the owner of the bag.
All the while we were looking for the owner he has been with us but his mind very far away. I felt it.

218 Likes 10 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 3:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
ShaqFu:
You seem not to understand the heart of humans is very wicked, let alone the heart of a Nigerian.

Somehow I don't feel this is an act of wickedness but that of pure lunacy.

Or it could be wickedness. You can never know with men.

8 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by cayorday89(m): 4:18pm On Jan 12, 2022
ShaqFu:

This is not wickedness, far from it, it could be a condemned aluminum who felt it's his lucky day and took off with it, and it could be that the person felt someone must have forgotten this here, it will be okay if he/she takes it just for taking sake.

8 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Tallesty1(m): 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
And the title of the book I dropped before opening this thread is nearly all the men in lagos are mad

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 5:23pm On Jan 12, 2022
Tallesty1:
And the title of the book I dropped before opening this thread is nearly all the men in lagos are mad
Lmao!!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Ishilove: 5:24pm On Jan 12, 2022
cayorday89:

This is not wickedness, far from it, it could be a condemned aluminum who felt it's his lucky day and took off with it, and it could be that the person felt someone must have forgotten this here, it will be okay if he/she takes it just for taking sake.
So his brain did not tell him that the owner will come for it?

1 Like

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by iamyemiakins(m): 5:37pm On Jan 12, 2022
Someone prolly De Gea'd the bunch of keys just as you threw it, maybe one prophet told the picker that the key to the door of his heavenly blessings will be released to him this week and should be on the lookout grin

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by cayorday89(m): 5:57pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:

So his brain did not tell him that the owner will come for it?
LOL, reason why you created this in health section. The way his/her brain operates is different and all he thinks, is that the bunch has been there for long, and to him/her long is relative as long as there is no one on ground to claim it.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by ShaqFu: 6:15pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:

Somehow I don't feel this is an act of wickedness but that of pure lunacy.

Or it could be wickedness. You can never know with men.
Nope, it's not lunacy, it is wickedness. I'm very sure the person who took it saw you throw it to that guy and this was his or her way of showing you their true colours.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by ChizzyBuna(m): 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
Okoro
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Sebastine1994(m): 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
grin
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by NwaNimo1(m): 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
Buhari is driving people mad!

[img]https://c./TShqTpHTCGsAAAAd/flavor-flav-fight-the-power.gif[/img]

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by inoki247: 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
Mumu jus full everywhere carry key wey no fit open anything for ur house....

The person wey carry d Key now wetin e wan use am du e wan go sell am for iron condemn people or use am du chain pendant cos I don't understand..

Nd e fit b say na doz iron condemn people see u wen u dey throway am nd dem go carry am...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by EricSmallz(m): 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
Very correct
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Emu4life(m): 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
Una dey suffer for Lagos but you guyz are good at lying to yourselves. I can live anywhere in Nigeria but Lagos.
I detest traffic jam and easily frustrated by it, coupled with the astronomical number of mentally unstable folks on Lagos streets .
Sorry op

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by sonnie10: 6:49pm On Jan 12, 2022
Maybe you had a beautiful key holder.

4 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by ukehnonny: 6:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
What will someone do with a stolen bunch of keys.
My mind is telling me that the person who picked it up is just by the corner there laffing at you guys.
He probably did that for fun but it hurts.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by GreaterFuture(m): 6:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
Hmnnn
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by doctokwus: 6:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ishilove:
I opted to post this in the Health section because I realised, for the first time in all my years in Lagos (and that is my entire life) that many are mad in Lagos but few are are confined in asylums. We don't take mental health seriously enough in Nigeria.

I had left office around 5.30 pm and had not gone far when a junior colleague called me that he had left his entire earthly possessions back in the office, vis his house keys, wallet and phone and the admin office was closed. His excuse was he did not know I would be leaving early. After blasting him for his lackadaisical attitude, I told him where to meet me to get my keys. I was already in transit and the traffic was rapidly moving and If he hurried he would meet me at the traffic light before it turned green.

He drove halfway and had to run the remaining half because of the traffic. He was just about 45 seconds away from me and I could see his approaching form, but the lights had changed to green and we were about moving, so I quickly tossed the bunch of keys on a horizontal signboard on the road median. The dude got to me just as we were about to cross and I yelled at him to go back and check the board. He nodded and ran back.

To my chagrin and ongoing bafflement, he called me back that there were no keys on the board. I told him to check properly, on the sides and even under the board. He rang off, and then called back some minutes later, insisting that he couldn't find any keys. I was forced to alight half way and go back to the junction where all these drama was unfolding. I thought my eyes were paining me when I checked and discovered that the bunch of keys had grown legs and run off in the 45 seconds/ 1 minute it took for my colleague to reach the point where I had tossed the keys.

That is how me and this boy started rigmaroling the road median like construction workers, searching through dirt and grass for my large, shiny bunch of keys that had mysteriously disappeared in plain sight. After about 30 minutes of fruitlessly searching even in portions of the median that I knew I had passed before that fateful toss, we were forced to give up after admitting to ourselves that a Lagosian had seen me tossing the keys and immediately pounced on them like the lunatic he was.

Kai, it is still paining my spirit, soul and body. cry

My question now is this: what is anyone going to do with a bunch of keys that is totally useless to him? What?

There is a legion of lunatics roaming freely on this streets of the Gidi. undecided
The person that stole the key is a psycho na,a candidate for Yaba left.
As an aside,mental health is a far more serious issue than you have highlighted because it affects everyday working people,couples and otherwise normally hardworking people with a source of income.
Many people in work places are going through but are bottling it up because it's not an issue that is being critically looked into in Nigeria and mental health challenges has a stigma no one wants to be associated with.
But it's real,it's happening in offices, homes and many facets of Nigerian society.
It's quite distinct from the psycho that stole those keys that have no single use for him.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by EricSmallz(m): 6:52pm On Jan 12, 2022
Nigerians sha grin
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by hosemujica: 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
Hmmn.
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Sonnobax15(m): 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
grin
Lagosians don run am for the op cheesy

For this the same NIGERIA,thief don mistake paper bag of shiit rush am from person hand, thinking say na money he carry cheesy
Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by Piekna(f): 6:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
Tallesty1:

Worthwhile book

3 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by CalabarPikin: 6:55pm On Jan 12, 2022

Iron condemn

Try check here, it could be there probably

15 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by DesChyko: 6:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
Omo.. In the right place and time, everybody in Lagos is mad laidis lipsrsealed

Imagine the thoughts in the minds of passers-by who saw you and your colleague going about your business while searching grin

3 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by sammirano: 6:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
The action was not wise. Don't blame others for your misdeed sometimes, look inward.

2 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by blackslayer: 6:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
I don't see the connection between someone stealing your set of keys and mental health or madness. I think perhaps you need a shrink yourself!

5 Likes

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by ednut1(m): 6:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
Topic does not relate with the post na

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: We Need To Take Mental Health More Seriously In Nigeria by basty: 6:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ummmmmmhhh

I cannot make out anything from what the op was saying? Who is mad and who is trying to be mad?

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anambra Extends Lockdown, Tightens Measures, After Recording First Covid-19 Case / Foods That Benefits The Body, But Harm The Teeth. / Girl Burnt By Hot Water Dies After Battling With Serious Injuries. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.