Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,472 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:17 AM

Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi (1266 Views)

"Igbos And Yorubas Are Embarrasing Nigeria" - Verified Fulani Twitter User Says / Why Lagos Is Immune To Recession — Rotimi Agunsoye / Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by mandarin: 5:55pm On Feb 08, 2016
Below is an interesting story of Lassa Fever from RUN

Prof. Christian Happi has claimed that Yoruba people, by the make-up of their genes, are immune to Lassa virus that causes Lassa fever.

According to National Mirror, the researcher, who is Dean, College of Postgraduate Studies, Department of Biological Sciences, Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun State, said research was ongoing on why this is so, adding that few cases of Lassa fever recorded among Yoruba people are “imported.”

Speaking on the new breakthrough on the rampaging Lassa fever, Happi, said Lassa fever virus originated from Nigeria about 1,060 years ago.

He further explained that the disease spread to other West African countries about 400 years ago, stressing that Yoruba have capacity to resist the virus more than any other ethnic group in country.

On new research findings, Prof. Happi said it has been discovered that Ribavirin that is currently used to treat Lassa fever was not designed for the disease and as such, would only be effective when given in the early phase of the infection.

http://naijaparrot.com/yorubas-are-genetically-immune-to-lassa-fever-virus-prof-happi/
[i][/i]
Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by waldigit: 7:10pm On Feb 08, 2016
mandarin:

Prof. Christian Happi has claimed that Yoruba people, by the make-up of their genes, are immune to Lassa virus that causes Lassa fever.

According to National Mirror, the researcher, who is Dean, College of Postgraduate Studies, Department of Biological Sciences, Redeemer’s University, Ede, Osun State, said research was ongoing on why this is so, adding that few cases of Lassa fever recorded among Yoruba people are “imported.”

Speaking on the new breakthrough on the rampaging Lassa fever, Happi, said Lassa fever virus originated from Nigeria about 1,060 years ago.

He further explained that the disease spread to other West African countries about 400 years ago, stressing that Yoruba have capacity to resist the virus more than any other ethnic group in country.

On new research findings, Prof. Happi said it has been discovered that Ribavirin that is currently used to treat Lassa fever was not designed for the disease and as such, would only be effective when given in the early phase of the infection.

http://naijaparrot.com/yorubas-are-genetically-immune-to-lassa-fever-virus-prof-happi/
[i][/i]
blood is thicker than water
Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by mandarin: 8:08pm On Feb 08, 2016
I think this should be given attention it deserves maybe it will help in some scientific discoveries and cures for tropical diseases

1 Like

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by Flexherbal(m): 8:19pm On Feb 08, 2016
There must be some natural herbs that they are using.

1 Like

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by mightyhaze: 8:28pm On Feb 08, 2016
Na only yoruba waka com? I go dey visit dat amala spot for missionroad now,..maybe na ewedu be d magic formula o grin

3 Likes

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 08, 2016
>
Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by Nobody: 8:47pm On Feb 08, 2016
<
Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by babyfaceafrica: 8:49pm On Feb 08, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by Nobody: 8:50pm On Feb 08, 2016
On first reading this piece, I thought the Professor was one of those charlatans littering our glorified universities, but after 5 minutes of checking him out on Thomson Reuter's Web of Science, I can confidently take whatever he says to the bank. He's got papers published in New England Journal of Medicine (Impact factor(IF) of 55, the highest IF there is), and Nature (30 ish impact factor). I didn't even know Nigerian dons publish their works in those journal. If you're not in the academia, you may not understand these facts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by SurefireAsoOke: 9:20pm On Feb 08, 2016
Who burn lever fever well after takin Ogumu, Agbo, Jedi who burn lassa fever well

1 Like

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by kayfra: 9:26pm On Feb 08, 2016
The man is legit. I thought he was a quack

Harvard visiting professor profile
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/christian-happi/

Vhfc profile
http://vhfc.org/consortium/people/happi

1 Like

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by Onyejiuwaokoh: 10:13pm On Feb 08, 2016
The prof should be kept with the infected people for more experiment. I think education gives wisdom but if you mix it with Ado Ekiti gold ganja it becomes a confusion.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by RuggedSniper: 11:49am On Jun 10, 2020
mandarin:

[i][/i]
Interesting! Some people are also genetically immune to HIV/AIDS. A full DNA mapping is needed on Yorubas for the benefit of mankind.
Re: Yorubas’ Are Genetically Immune To Lassa Fever Virus – Prof. Happi by mandarin: 12:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Our scientists are not so much engaged in research, I believe changing our approach to 50-50 research-theory based training in schools will help our advancements in a whole lot of ways.

(1) (Reply)

See What Troops Did To Armed Bandits & Their Camps In Zamfara & Katsina(photos) / The First Mayor Of Enugu Was Fulani... / Photos Of Femi Fani-kayode This Morning As He Arrived EFCC Premises

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.