Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

What Went Wrong With Fashola? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Went Wrong With Fashola? (39426 Views)

Amaechi All Smiles As He Stepout With Fashola At Channels TV Gala Night In Lagos / Angry Benin Residents Meet With Fashola During His Visit To Edo State. / Tinubu's War With Fashola And Bukola Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nobody: 10:26am On Feb 09, 2016
You expect good service from government and don't want to pay for it. Don't u people understand government needs money to work especially this govt that met empty treasury. All advanced governments that deliver depend on an effective taxation system to raise money. You don't try paying your tax in America and see what happens to u. But since Nigeria has such a poor tax system I guess the govt has to rely on increased tariffs to raise money.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by gerald09(m): 10:34am On Feb 09, 2016
Nothing has changed except that he has to make very difficult decisions, We have problems in the Electricity industry that has made the industry rotten, to fix it requires so made harsh decisions. As the saying goes (IT WILL GET WORST BEFORE IT GET BETTER) NLC and TUC should go fight for Nigerian that are being maltreated by international employees in their own country and stop these unnecessary action that bring no positivity to the people. The same NLC and TUC went on strick during the GEJ January 2012 Fuel strike for subsidy removal, which didn't help Nigeria at all. the subsidy has been removed in 2016 still now they going for another unnecessary strike action. Shame.
chivic:
Most Nigerians will agree with me that among the current ministers,Fashola is one that that stands out and with him in this current cabinet, a lot of us have great optimism that at least he will deliver.
In fact, Buhari's exclusive trust and believe in him made him to attach a combination of portfolios to him,believing that once he can deliver, then his administration would receive a lot of applause. It is worth mentioning that Fashola's success can earn Buhari a return ticket.

However,the recent increase in electricity tariff is not only shocking,but heart rending.
What went wrong?who advice him?who has brainwashed our guy? is there something at the presidency that makes people with good intention to begin to think upside down? Would Fashola in his smart reasoning ability have taken this, if it has been proposed in the last administration?does it make sense at all?
How on earth will the government increase Tariff for no light?are we not already paying more than what we get?Why don't the tell us that once we start receiving light on an average of 12 hours per day,then the Tariff of that area,region or Zone will be increased.?

Something has gone wrong!If even Fashola can confidently think like this,then we need an emergency prayer.

They should deliver service first before increasing Tariff. We are currently paying more than we are getting.And yet they are forcing us to pay more again for a futuristic promise. We need to occupy Nigeria for this.

2 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by iambrafia231: 10:35am On Feb 09, 2016
These private DISCOS need to first meter Nigeria before even thinking of increasing tariff.
Same corruption associated with the PHCN meter policies is what these private discos are exhibiting. You go to their office to get a meter, they will tell you to pay N25,000 yet they will still call it their property.

As part of the stake holders meeting, it was agreed that all DISCOS should give free meter to every home in Nigeria to stop the ills of estimated billing. fashola should first get the DISCOS to fulfill their end of the bargain before increasing the tariff.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 09, 2016
You dont know Fashola. The real Fashola Raji has shown his true colour. Folks like me are not surprised. He has exhibited one of his characteristics,many more to come.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by poiZon: 10:54am On Feb 09, 2016
gists:

Of course you will say its chest beating when your state can't boast of such level of success to attract people. Even though the per day figure is actually my error, the fact is still the state is the choice place to go. here is the official stats

But does your ranting negative the fact that Lagos is still the state of choice for anyone seeking a chance to make it in Nigeria in-spite of all the noise about too many charges in Lagos?

does it also stop it from being the state with highest poor people, crime rate n other social vices n ills in the nation?
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nairadays: 11:08am On Feb 09, 2016
Though i paid heavily yesterday to recharge my Electricity Bill, still I Wouldn't rush to make judgments.

Its easy to make assertions and conclusions from outside, but when you get in, you might just receive wisdom.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by sunnyb0b0(m): 11:08am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:
Most Nigerians will agree with me that among the current ministers,Fashola is one that that stands out and with him in this current cabinet, a lot of us have great optimism that at least he will deliver.
In fact, Buhari's exclusive trust and believe in him made him to attach a combination of portfolios to him,believing that once he can deliver, then his administration would receive a lot of applause. It is worth mentioning that Fashola's success can earn Buhari a return ticket.

However,the recent increase in electricity tariff is not only shocking,but heart rending.
What went wrong?who advice him?who has brainwashed our guy? is there something at the presidency that makes people with good intention to begin to think upside down? Would Fashola in his smart reasoning ability have taken this, if it has been proposed in the last administration?does it make sense at all?
How on earth will the government increase Tariff for no light?are we not already paying more than what we get?Why don't the tell us that once we start receiving light on an average of 12 hours per day,then the Tariff of that area,region or Zone will be increased.?

Something has gone wrong!If even Fashola can confidently think like this,then we need an emergency prayer.

They should deliver service first before increasing Tariff. We are currently paying more than we are getting.And yet they are forcing us to pay more again for a futuristic promise. We need to occupy Nigeria for this.

Change happened to Fashola.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by scribble: 11:10am On Feb 09, 2016
PentiumPro:

You shut the gutter you call mouth.
Go ahead and show that Olowolafe is the same as Fashola. Dunces everywhere.
People just open their mouths and talk rubbish here on NL

You must be one of the side chicks
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by comos: 11:10am On Feb 09, 2016
tuniski:
Fashola is Overrated. He remains only a media creation blown out of proportion. I ask what were his milestones in lagos? Anyway, this is the change they truly promised,nigerians misunderstood them according to lai Moohammed!

you hit the nail on the head.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by alexlee50: 11:12am On Feb 09, 2016
Nothing is wrong with fashola, this has always been his nature.he has no plans for the poor, you people were blinded by media propaganda that created an aura around him.but not to worry, una eyes go clear soon

5 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by shamecurls(m): 11:12am On Feb 09, 2016
[s]
tuniski:
Fashola is Overrated. He remains only a media creation blown out of proportion. I ask what were his milestones in lagos? Anyway, this is the change they truly promised,nigerians misunderstood them according to lai Moohammed!
[/s]
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by JoeBlocks(m): 11:12am On Feb 09, 2016
Whoever knows Fashola antecedents should not be surprised about this tariff hike. This is Fashola's strongest and weakest attribute. Getting things done at an exorbitant price.

He did the same in Lagos, after transforming it, he started adding price to everything worth adding price to. I bet he forgot that Nigerians are not Lagosians. Lol.

He may have goofed a bit with this move. Labor isn't going to like him be. How can one pay more for something one doesn't even use
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by shamecurls(m): 11:14am On Feb 09, 2016
[s]
poiZon:

does it also stop it from being the state with highest poor people, crime rate n other social vices n ills in the nation?
[/s]
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by stevecantrell: 11:14am On Feb 09, 2016
scribble:

Oh shut up.

I'm stating facts you're talking nonsense
Olowolafe is on board of Eko.
Please, keep smacking these brainwashed underclass with cold hard facts.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by BRAV0O(m): 11:17am On Feb 09, 2016
I keep on saying this av almost rant about this for over a decade now, nigeria power sector is just one hell let loose poo! We pay monthly without using dim of the electricity! I think maybe we nigerians self were insane sorry to say cus maybe we don't even know our rights , it is wrong! Not any govt official should even have guts to come out publicly to announce increa of tariff! Instead of us to put our mouth together to call out a spade a spade many of them fools will come online posting lies and rubbish whereas many of us as being running generator non-stop since 1999!

3 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by idupaul: 11:18am On Feb 09, 2016
Fashola is the good guy on paper..I am surprised the OP is surprised because if you have studied Fashola style of governance in past u would see Fashola is no welfarist he just believes that the masses should pay extra to recieve mediocre services.... So when he announced tarrif increase many who new his modus operandi weren't surprised. ..And for the records I have no doubt Ambode will be the best Governor of Lagos is he continues at this pace

2 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Lionsclaw: 11:20am On Feb 09, 2016
Nothing special about him its just a hand full of zombies in the state where he rules before that overated him. Although it is good that some of them are waking up to realize he had never been people friendly.

But wait a minute.....it true when they call these apc followers zombies; how come they just realized they suffered in Lagos under him ?? So they were actually under some spell grin

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:22am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:

My man, to get more than what you currently get, you have to pay more than you currently do.

And these people, their input is in dollars...

What you should agitate for is the new meters, with the card stuff, so that you only pay for what you use.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Atlantian: 11:22am On Feb 09, 2016
What is this one saying ? It is not in Fashola's watch that Lekki Expressway that toll gate fees are collected when the road is incomplete ? How is that different from increasing electricity Tariff when there is no electricity ? Vested interest has taken over Nigeria, just as it took over Lagos under his watch. With Ambode LASTMA and KAI have stopped extortions. Fashola was a product of successful propaganda, now beans don done, the smell is coming out gradually.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by mikeapollo: 11:23am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:

I wonder why many people get deceived by media hype!
Nothing has happened to Fashola. He is still what he was as Lagos governor: clues and without any ingenuity. He only came to benefit from the ground work of Tinubu! But people were swayed by the ''eye-service''. Can you tell me any meaning Fashola did that was not originally planned and projected by Tinubu? In his second term, he did NOTHING! He ended up destroying LASU after recklessly increasing tuition fees to N300-350k, caused a 4-month doctors strike, extortion of money from Lagosians, Lekki tollgate. spending 78million on his personal website(I wonder what will be left if every governor spends this recklessly on their personal website), drilling a single borehole for N70m in Ikeja etc. Daylight robbery!
He has just brought his antecedents into the Buhari administration and we are all witnessing what he was busy doing in Lagos....increasing electricity tariffs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by BRAV0O(m): 11:24am On Feb 09, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

My man, to get more than what you currently get, you have to pay more than you currently do.

And these people, their input is in dollars...

What you should agitate for is the new meters, with the card stuff, so that you only pay for what you use.
people like you with this your comment will never let govt. To even take the masses serious maye u're one of them who knows?
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 09, 2016
I laugh... grin It will be looooooong before nigeria develops.

The best system of governance for this country is to go back to regionalism, have a rotational presidency among the 6 regions, and have at least 70% resource control. Too many people only think with tribal and religious bias. This democracy cant be trusted the way it is, in the hands of the voting general public. We will kill ourselves & just get more divided, like we've done everytime we've had a democracy. Unsustainable.

2 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nobody: 11:24am On Feb 09, 2016
Fashola is overrated but Nigerians also want everything for nothing.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by mikeapollo: 11:25am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:

I wonder why many people get deceived by media hype!
Nothing has happened to Fashola. He is still what he was as Lagos governor: clues and without any ingenuity. He only came to benefit from the ground work of Tinubu! But people were swayed by the ''eye-service''. Can you tell me any meaning Fashola did that was not originally planned and projected by Tinubu? In his second term, he did NOTHING! He ended up destroying LASU after recklessly increasing tuition fees to N300-350k, caused a 4-month doctors strike, extortion of money from Lagosians, Lekki tollgate. spending 78million on his personal website(I wonder what will be left if every governor spends this recklessly on their personal website), drilling a single borehole for N70m in Ikeja etc. Daylight robbery!
He has just brought his antecedents into the Buhari administration and we are all witnessing what he was busy doing in Lagos....increasing electricity tariffs when there is nothing to show for

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by decepticos(m): 11:25am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:

truth is Fashola has always been thus way, doesn't mean he "won't perform" only means he'll get it done with lil care for the likes of some people.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by obailala(m): 11:25am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:

First of all, "beta soup, na money dey inside," in other words, if you must have better services, you must be ready to pay the price; this has always been Fashola's philosophy from his rampant toll gates and the school fees hikes so it is only someone (like yourself) who doesn't really know Fashola that would think he has changed. This is even just the beginning, just sit back and wait for the series of toll gates that would begin to spring up all over Nigerian major roads. Unfortunately, considering the paucity of funds in the government today, tolling everything (in the Fashola way) might just be the only way in which Fashola might be able to perform any of his acclaimed wonders in his present office.

Now regarding the electricity tariff hike, that is absolutely not Fashola's doing, the plan to hike electricity prices has been in the 'Roadmap to power sector reforms' which was constituted I think since the days of Yaradua. A major part of that roadmap includes the privatisation of power generation and distribution and a review of tariffs to encourage investors who have since lamented that they would make no profit at the current rates. The privatisation aspect has since been completed but operation hasn't really begun because the previous government was either still negotiating tariffs or was too scared to announce the new tariffs, hence even though these companies have been privatised, the FG was still paying billions to offset bills for the private companies (in the form of subsidies).

If there is anything which is good about the new reviewed tariffs, it is the fact that fixed charges have been scrapped; a lot of people lamenting about paying higher for services they don't get obviously are not aware of this fact. With the new plans, you pay for only the services you get and this something which would force the power companies to sit up. I am somewhat optimistic that this is the final step in the privatisation programme which would turn Nigeria's power situation around. I am willing to pay more as long as it would ensure better services, it is still cheaper and more convenient than running generators. It took Nigeria paying higher tariffs for telecommunications for us to get to where we are today.

4 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by viktor01(m): 11:25am On Feb 09, 2016
Politicians are like the prophets of a certain religion, it is do what I say, not what I do. they tell you to sacrifice while they themselves are not willing to make any sacrifices.
Sign posts if you ask me, they point you in the direction but remain stationed.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by maestroferddi: 11:26am On Feb 09, 2016
Yhinkss:
There are a lot we seem not to understand or maybe we are interested in focusing on the negatives. There are no develoment without pain and sacrifices all what we nigerians want is to continue getting better things at their comfort zones
First of all the price template was not fashioned by Fashola it was a design from the previous government for an ideal running of the system. If u listened to what BRF said that it was the way it had suppose to be with the price but the last government did not implement it. The Disco recently declared to divest from the buy if the pricing is not improved because they are not making return and it is preventing them in investing more and even exanding as required by the government agreement on them. How can u run a business without making profits? So accordingly the new pricing will now make them stand well in terms of rendering and expanding after a particular time in agreement with the govt.
We only want everything to suit us like oyibo without making any effort like them . When we travel to other developed nations do you realise how much other nations are paying for various taxes that are non existent in nigeria we just like everything free.
Some social service is coming as promised and we are happy but how many are ready to pay for anything just like other nations or do you all complain or refuse to pay if you travel out especially South Africa
Let's compare Nepa to diesel or inverter it is still larger very low so there is a bit of support from the citizenry for our own benefits
Oga use your head and stop talking because you so much love the sound of your voice.

The least a manifestly anti-minister like Fashola could have done was to tackle the horrendous corruption and ineptitude in PHCN and the so-called unbundling exercise and not to aggravate the plight of the poor masses.

Which obnoxious government policy in this country was not predicated on some warped logic and plausible rationale on why we must roast to death now so as to enjoy some utopia in the future?

Some years ago, Jonathan rewarded Nigerians for voting him in office by jacking up the pump prices of petroleum products in no less time as the beginning of the year. That height of insensitivity collapsed because Nigerians collectively resisted the evil scheme.

Now that Buhari and his amorphous change crew are scheming to further pauperise Nigerians, it is incumbent on all well-meaning citizens to rise up and resist any kind of satanic exploitation and maladministration even when they are couched with high-fallutin rhetoric.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by portacabin: 11:27am On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:

Fashola didn't increase the tariffs. The government has sold the distribution arm of Phcn about 3 years ago. The tarrif hike have been planned for 3 years now and has been postponed several times. The Discos can't survive with the old tariffs. We should focus on how to reduce our energy consumption by using low energy devices especially our lights and try to use refrigerator s with thermostats or timers. The Discos will eventually go bankrupt if the old tarrif remain.

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by enigma2007(m): 11:27am On Feb 09, 2016
gerald09:
Nothing has changed except that he has to make very difficult decisions, We have problems in the Electricity industry that has made the industry rotten, to fix it requires so made harsh decisions. As the saying goes (IT WILL GET WORST BEFORE IT GET BETTER) NLC and TUC should go fight for Nigerian that are being maltreated by international employees in their own country and stop these unnecessary action that bring no positivity to the people. The same NLC and TUC went on strick during the GEJ January 2012 Fuel strike for subsidy removal, which didn't help Nigeria at all. the subsidy has been removed in 2016 still now they going for another unnecessary strike action. Shame.

I have stopped taking NLC n co serious long time ago! We even jokingly renamed them "Petroleum Labour congress" in my office

On the topic, the investors need to make money in order to improve or add to the existing infrastructure. They are not running a charitable organisation neither are they the government. They are in the biz to make money

2 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 09, 2016
PentiumPro:

You are the coward fraud here.
Your godfather Fortunato fraudulently sold the assets of PHCN to his cronies.

Always fighting n cursing on nairaland. Dem swear for u

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Labour Party Exco Meeting In Kano (Photos) / Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful / Ekiti Election: INEC Chief, Zakari Demands Apology From Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.