Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

What Went Wrong With Fashola? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Went Wrong With Fashola? (39428 Views)

Amaechi All Smiles As He Stepout With Fashola At Channels TV Gala Night In Lagos / Angry Benin Residents Meet With Fashola During His Visit To Edo State. / Tinubu's War With Fashola And Bukola Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by akigbemaru: 1:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
fashola
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by adeomolisabi: 1:26pm On Feb 09, 2016
Oz4realsss:

What of those that cannot afford such? What should they do? This country belongs to all Nigerians.

You need to think about the longer term. Reliable power is essential for Nigeria's economy to grow quickly enough to provide better-paying jobs for the masses.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Oz4realsss: 1:46pm On Feb 09, 2016
adeomolisabi:

You need to think about the longer term. Reliable power is essential for Nigeria's economy to grow quickly enough to provide better-paying jobs for the masses.
Answer my question, Mr.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by PentiumPro(f): 1:46pm On Feb 09, 2016
Oz4realsss:

What of those that cannot afford such? What should they do? This country belongs to all Nigerians.

As much I recognized the fact that we are not all equal, the fact still remain that Nigerians should never expect world class services if they are not ready to pay world class prices.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by proffemi: 1:47pm On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:
Most Nigerians will agree with me that among the current ministers,Fashola is one that that stands out and with him in this current cabinet, a lot of us have great optimism that at least he will deliver.
In fact, Buhari's exclusive trust and believe in him made him to attach a combination of portfolios to him,believing that once he can deliver, then his administration would receive a lot of applause. It is worth mentioning that Fashola's success can earn Buhari a return ticket.

However,the recent increase in electricity tariff is not only shocking,but heart rending.
What went wrong?who advice him?who has brainwashed our guy? is there something at the presidency that makes people with good intention to begin to think upside down? Would Fashola in his smart reasoning ability have taken this, if it has been proposed in the last administration?does it make sense at all?
How on earth will the government increase Tariff for no light?are we not already paying more than what we get?Why don't the tell us that once we start receiving light on an average of 12 hours per day,then the Tariff of that area,region or Zone will be increased.?

Something has gone wrong!If even Fashola can confidently think like this,then we need an emergency prayer.

They should deliver service first before increasing Tariff. We are currently paying more than we are getting.And yet they are forcing us to pay more again for a futuristic promise. We need to occupy Nigeria for this.

Here we go again with the histrionics. Here we go demonstrating what the "black man" in known for: inability to see the big picture.
Once something hits us where it hurts as Nigerians, we go up in arms, notwithstanding the long-term impact (positive or negative).

Let's agree that it is harsh to jerk up the tariff at this point. Let's even agree that it is a life-changing issue for many. Having agreed on that, we should still consider the long-term picture.

Do we improve service quality before increasing tariff or vice versa? I'd argue that this is a chicken-and-egg problem, and we should just have a go at the problem the easiest way possible.

For me, the problem isn't the imposition of a harsh tariff regime. The problem is the absence of clear deliverables from the power companies. The tariff should be accompanied with a compact that bounds the generation/transmission/distribution companies to achieving SPECIFIC goals. Just as there is a schedule for tariff increase, their power sector road map must be clear on indices on which to hold them accountable. Once I see that, I can support the increase in tariffs. Without that, I feel I'm being taken for a ride.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Oz4realsss: 1:50pm On Feb 09, 2016
PentiumPro:

As much I recognized the fact that we are not all equal, the fact still remain that Nigerians should never expect world class services if they are not ready to pay world class prices.
Nobody is talking about world class services here. We are talking about accessibility to all and not few.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 09, 2016
RightBoo:
[s][/s]

What better things are Nigerians getting on their comfort zone?

Abeg no annoy person with these your senseless made comment...

Nigerians are ready to pay and sacrifice when there is comfort.
Present phcn charges before it hiked was an overrated pay against the worst condition of power supply in every Nigerian home.

There was never a comfort in suffering...
Nigeria has been suffering from epileptic power supply in times immemorial.
Nothing enjoying there but we tolerated and adjusted like everything is fine, because we reason and think like blacks...

Fashola should review the current charges ASAP.
Nigerians have suffered enough yet nothing tangible is done by Nigeria leaders.
most of us here advocated for privatization of Nepa. Some even abused the power workers when they were resisting the take over in 2012. NLC then I remember were so so confused about the situation that they only got involved to help negotiate severance pay for the agitating workers. DISCO being a private company I dont think have any obligation to listen to Fasola on its pricing. Capitalists are always in it for the bussiness. Another alternative here is if the government choose to pay subsidies for power as was done by the last regime toward 2015 election. Alternatively, the privatization can be reverted and we continue with bussiness as usual. I think Nigerians should demand for installation of prepaid meters and the government should allow competition to thrive in the sector. If DISCO want to survive they have to stop over-billing of few patriotic nigerians that are paying there bills and rather focus on widening there billing net to include about 80% others that dont pay for electricity. Moreover, Fasola should stop being the spokeman for DISCO. Based on the antecedent of the owners nothing good can come out of Discos... When the ex-rulers and government official the owns the companies are tired they will sell it to real investors...simple.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by adeomolisabi: 1:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
Oz4realsss:
Answer my question, Mr.

That you don't like my answer doesn't mean it wasn't one. Nigeria can't keep squandering scarce resources subsidizing immediate mass consumption at the expense of longer-term development; it's precisely that short-term pandering that has enabled Nigeria to be left in the dust by the likes of South Korea.

Better that a few indigent people lose out for now on cheap (but utterly unreliable) power, than that the entire nation be kept in poverty in the name of "caring for the masses". The right way to solve mass poverty is through higher economic growth, and that requires a massive investment in the power sector that will only happen if investors can cover their costs.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by desertboom(m): 1:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
Nigerians are paying too much, multiple taxation here and there. Currently, Nigeria is paying much more than any country in Africa because of the increment yet no light.

You will have to plant, nurture it before harvest. But here in Nigeria people want to ccount profit already without prior investment.

It is too early for Nigerians to pay above all other Africa countries without giving us even 12 hours of electricity everyday.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by PentiumPro(f): 1:54pm On Feb 09, 2016
Oz4realsss:
Nobody is talking about world class services here. We are talking about accessibility to all and not few.

We are talking about provision of 24hrs electricity supply to Nigeria, far and wide. It takes a lot of money in investment.
I bought my first MTN line for N27K, even with all the teething ache in the industry then, that same line is just now about N150.
You will never make an omelette without breaking a egg.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by ultraGM: 1:58pm On Feb 09, 2016
It wasnt fashola fault, the issue can be trace back to Yaradua tenure, his administration approve the MYTO plan, and so empower NERC to regulate it to the extent that the Senate cant even alter the law backing MYTO

Lets leave Fashola alone
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by adeomolisabi: 2:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
desertboom:
Nigerians are paying too much, multiple taxation here and there. Currently, Nigeria is paying much more than any country in Africa because of the increment yet no light.

You will have to plant, nurture it before harvest. But here in Nigeria people want to ccount profit already without prior investment.

It is too early for Nigerians to pay above all other Africa countries without giving us even 12 hours of electricity everyday.

1. This is not a "tax": distribution companies have a right to charge for the services they provide, and an obligation to their shareholders to do so. They are not forcing anyone to sign up with them, and those who prefer to run generators all day are free to do so.

2. What "profit"? Can you point to a single earnings report showing a DISCO making huge profits from Nigerian investments? The reality is the exact opposite; the DISCOs haven't been able to charge enough to cover their costs, let alone earn the profits required in building up their infrastructure.

3. If you want anyone to believe that Nigerians "pay above all other Africa countries", then you need to provide some actual numbers and references to support this, as well as evidence that there are any African countries with cheaper electricity which actually enjoy more reliable power. Simply saying such things doesn't make them true, and what evidence I've seen suggests the direct opposite of your claims.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by PentiumPro(f): 2:01pm On Feb 09, 2016
ultraGM:
It wasnt fashola fault, the issue can be trace back to Yaradua tenure, his administration approve the MYTO plan, and so empower NERC to regulate it to the extent that the Senate cant even alter the law backing MYTO

Lets leave Fashola alone

You are right. The inability of the past governments in taking the hard decisions about our power problems (just to be politically correct and looking at the next election) led to where we are today. A country of 150M celebrating the achievement of provision of 5,000MW.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by desertboom(m): 2:09pm On Feb 09, 2016
PentiumPro:

We are talking about provision of 24hrs electricity supply to Nigeria, far and wide. It takes a lot of money in investment.
I bought my first MTN line for N27K, even with all the teething ache in the industry then, that same line is just now about N150.

Stop comparing MTN line with electricity. MTN line then was for the rich and mighty besides it was a choice. All Nigerians need electricity to survive in one way or the other. It is like saying if some Nigerians can afford star beer alcohol for 250 naira then they can afford buying fuel at the same price. Poor Nigerians need affordable electricity for small scale business, power home, barb hair pump water etc. Don't over tax us because we are poor and helpless.

Private investors need to give light, exercise patients and convince Nigeria that they are fit to run the business not counting profit immediately. Damn
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by ikorodureporta: 2:18pm On Feb 09, 2016
Our govt officials, like our Pastors, always feel we'r gonna accept anytin they throw on us...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by nellyelitz(m): 2:28pm On Feb 09, 2016
RightBoo:
[s][/s]

Present phcn charges before it hiked was an overrated pay against the worst condition of power supply in every Nigerian home.

Nothing enjoying there but we tolerated and adjusted like everything is fine, because we reason and think like blacks...

he's mental
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by octopusfreaky(f): 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
@anonimi stop uploading pix in btw your comments jare ,,u will pay for my subscription ooo
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by anonimi: 2:57pm On Feb 09, 2016
octopusfreaky:
@anonimi stop uploading pix in btw your comments jare ,,u will pay for my subscription ooo

Ba wahala......just send me the bill and I will happily pay grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2973003_2972908img8889033575920jpegjpeg9806bd2153518397a591fad28c8bce09_jpeg2e10389c92476096a700ac3ee30d28e1
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by BermudaTriangle(m): 2:59pm On Feb 09, 2016
My dear op, before writing anything let me tell you that i am a bona fide yoruba and lives in Lagos.
I am one of those who never fell for the media ruse that promoted Fashola as a performer. Go through my posts and you will confirm this.
Apart from developing flower gardens at conspicuous locations of the state and modernisation of a few roads with particular concentration in elite areas, i
can't see the imprints of a performer in his 8 years reign.
In addition Fashola is elitist in nature, practice and action.
In his eight years in the saddle he did not increase the number of public schools in the state but rather took education out of the reach of children of the poor through elitist fees and gave private schools free reign to exploit the people at will yet with substandard delivery.
I won't be surprised if the tariff increase is his own creation.
He is elitist and corrupt to the core.

How many poor civil servants
enjoyed the benefits of his few housing programme ?
He is on record to have callously and stupidly say that he did not build those houses for the poor. So what can you expect of such a person ?
He belongs to the class of those who believe some are poor by their own design and not by providence.
He may eventually turn out as a poor image maker for this
government.

I refuse to accept that whatever improvement we may experience in the power sector in the interim is to his credit and not GEJ's.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by repogirl(f): 3:18pm On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:
It's true that most Nigerian want to get things without pains,but this is different. If it were subsidy, it's understandable, but how can you be paying for what u don't even have. The so called investors seems not to be serious.How do they expect to start making profit without delivering service first? That's corruption on its own.
In other parts of the world an investor could take up to 10 yrs to break even and start making profit,but in Naija,everyone wants to make profit overnight.

What is bad is bad and must be condemned
true talk my brother, just give it time. Things will get to a head very soon and people will enter the streets.

People are losing jobs, some haven't been paid in two months and the government is increasing tariffs and taking from our bank accounts when we receive. Nigerians will not take this nonsense for long.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Jesusloveyou: 3:18pm On Feb 09, 2016
chivic:
It's true that most Nigerian want to get things without pains,but this is different. If it were subsidy, it's understandable, but how can you be paying for what u don't even have. The so called investors seems not to be serious.How do they expect to start making profit without delivering service first? That's corruption on its own.
In other parts of the world an investor could take up to 10 yrs to break even and start making profit,but in Naija,everyone wants to make profit overnight.

What is bad is bad and must be condemned
i don't really see anything wrong with d increment, because u wil pay for what u consume, if u have light for 12hrs, it is d 12hrs u consumeu wil pay for, no need to pay for 750 naira u never consume, it is people without meter that are on estimated billing thatwil suffer it, d protest should be for meter to be provided

2 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Rockstar2014(m): 3:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
I saw this coming. What a change;this is punitive, inhumane and anti-people.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by abdulwastecx(m): 3:25pm On Feb 09, 2016
RightBoo:
[s][/s]

Brother read and look closely at the comment you just quoted and realized the truth in it.

We pay close to nothing for power, so how do the private company make money that they can reinvest in staff and capacity building.

We know that the system is not as good as it should be but we have to pay for it to be better.

Nigeria is one of those few top 25 world leading economics with subsidy for power, education, electricity, health care service, pipe born water etc.

Nigeria is the only big economy who's national budget is less than 10% of her gdp ( a One trillion dollars gdp with less than 100billion dollars budget).

If we must developed our infrastructure we cannot solely depend on oil revenue and cannot continue to run social utilities on subsidy. We must be ready to diversify and allow market forces to determine the price of utilities like water and power.

We need to pay more on power and water if we must developed new water and work, build more power stations and distribution facilities.

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Jesusloveyou: 3:32pm On Feb 09, 2016
Oz4realsss:
Answer my question, Mr.
if u can't afford it,don't use light, go and work,nothing is free, d bible said d man dat cannot work should not eat,d time for freem money is over, d time for laziness should be over, if u want to enjoy light,go and work to pay for light bill, if u can't pay for house rent,sleep outside

2 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by abdulwastecx(m): 3:36pm On Feb 09, 2016
BermudaTriangle:
My dear op, before writing anything let me tell you that i am a bona fide yoruba and lives in Lagos.
I am one of those who never fell for the media ruse that promoted Fashola as a performer. Go through my posts and you will confirm this.
Apart from developing flower gardens at conspicuous locations of the state and modernisation of a few roads with particular concentration in elite areas, i
can't see the imprints of a performer in his 8 years reign.
In addition Fashola is elitist in nature, practice and action.
In his eight years in the saddle he did not increase the number of public schools in the state but rather took education out of the reach of children of the poor through elitist fees and gave private schools free reign to exploit the people at will yet with substandard delivery.
I won't be surprised if the tariff increase is his own creation.
He is elitist and corrupt to the core.

How many poor civil servants
enjoyed the benefits of his few housing programme ?
He is on record to have callously and stupidly say that he did not build those houses for the poor. So what can you expect of such a person ?
He belongs to the class of those who believe some are poor by their own design and not by providence.
He may eventually turn out as a poor image maker for this
government.

I refuse to accept that whatever improvement we may experience in the power sector in the interim is to his credit and not GEJ's.

The problem with Nigeria is the masses mentality and their socialism tendency.
We like to be United state of America, we want to be like other developed countries like countries in western Europe, East Asians etc but we are not ready to work and sacrifice for it.

Every mega city always look for ways to make it attractive for investors, expertise and people that will contribute to the social economy status of the city.

The priority o fashola as the Lagos state governmer is to build roads, water works, schools etc but these infrastructure requires funding most of which are generated internally, hence through tax, most of these tax comes from these so called elite and high end people. So, naturally those areas will get these services first before other areas like that contribute zero in term of tax will get.

Been poor is a choice, you either decide to be poor by been lazy, give birth to too many children or be comfortable by working hard and have a moderate family. Most of us in this country don't really know the roles of government, don't know that the size of family have a role to play on how rich or poor an individual can be.

In UK people save money for their children education, this allow them to have a moderate population and small family. If you can't afford to send your children to school why having many of them

3 Likes

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Rolings: 3:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
orakao8:
HOW MUCH IS APC PAYING YOU?

Truth is bitter. If I had concoted some lies to hail pdp will you ask me how much pdp was paying ?

1 Like

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Fess: 3:56pm On Feb 09, 2016
Fashola is only riding on the horseback of propaganda: a creation of shallow media from Lagos. Media which thrive in feeding the public with falsity.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Oz4realsss: 4:40pm On Feb 09, 2016
adeomolisabi:

That you don't like my answer doesn't mean it wasn't one. Nigeria can't keep squandering scarce resources subsidizing immediate mass consumption at the expense of longer-term development; it's precisely that short-term pandering that has enabled Nigeria to be left in the dust by the likes of South Korea.

Better that a few indigent people lose out for now on cheap (but utterly unreliable) power, than that the entire nation be kept in poverty in the name of "caring for the masses". The right way to solve mass poverty is through higher economic growth, and that requires a massive investment in the power sector that will only happen if investors can cover their costs.

Nobody says Government should subsidize for electricity. I really wonder where you got that from.

On the contrary, you are asking the poor masses to subsidize for the rich investors by paying more than the cost of supplying electricity which would then be used for facilities expansion and upgrade. After the expansion and upgrade, will the poor masses co-own these properties?

It is totally wrong to believe that the power supply will improve overnight by making the poor to pay astronomical electricity bills for the super rich to expand their business ventures. This is very unethical.

There is also no statistical evidence that the new tariff regime will improve power supply immediately. Will generation, transmission and distribution capacities be expanded overnight with this hike? Why do you want the investors and Government to charge us extra before the improvement?

I agree with you that the power sector is capital intensive. It is also a long term venture that requires the expertise of real professionals and sincere investors. You don't expect to break even after few years of operations. Let us allow real professionals and not politicians to operate our power sector.

The right way to fight poverty is not by making life more difficult for the common Nigerian through exorbitant charges like the unjustifiable electricity tariff hike. The poor people are never to fund the business of the super rich forcefully.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Oz4realsss: 4:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
if u can't afford it,don't use light, go and work,nothing is free, d bible said d man dat cannot work should not eat,d time for freem money is over, d time for laziness should be over, if u want to enjoy light,go and work to pay for light bill, if u can't pay for house rent,sleep outside
A clear evidence of a small mind.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Oz4realsss: 4:49pm On Feb 09, 2016
PentiumPro:

Yes, we want a 24 hour electricity supply but never to be funded by the poor for the very rich who own the gencos and the discos. Will they also share the ownership with the poor after our money has been used to expand and upgrade the facilities?

You buying your first MTN line for N27K is a typical example of the unethical behaviour you are subscribing to again. Yea, to make omelette, you must break egg. For our power supply industry to work, the real professionals and investors must be allowed. You can never get a different result when you keep repeating the same strategy.
Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Chucks1989(m): 5:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
gists:

Yet an average of 700,0000 people are trooping to Lagos every day! !
Na em lagos never full...people with walking self fit dey holdup from morning to night talk more about motor.

Bros if you wan lie, remember God!
gists:

Na em lagos never full...people walking on the street self fit dey holdup from morning to night talk more about motor.

gists:

Na em lagos never full...people with walking on the streets self fit dey holdup from morning to night talk more about motor.

Re: What Went Wrong With Fashola? by Chucks1989(m): 5:16pm On Feb 09, 2016
gists:

Na em lagos never full...people walking on the streets self fit dey holdup from morning to night talk more about motor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekiti Election: INEC Chief, Zakari Demands Apology From Fayose / 2023: Pastor Tunde Bakare Reveals Where Buhari’s Successor Should Come From / Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.