Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,078 members, 7,814,742 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

(judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? (1872 Views)

Who Really Is Judas Iscariot: A Traitor Or Hero? / Let's Stop Blaming Judas Iscariot, He Doesn't Deserve To Be Blame. / Judas Iscariot Now Trending On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappville(f): 5:24am On Feb 09, 2016
According to Matthew 27:3-6:

Matthew 27:3-6
3 When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”

“What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.”

5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

6 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.”

But Acts 1:15-20, gives a different and even grislier version of Judas’ demise. See it.

Acts 1:15-20
15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16 and said, “Brothers and sisters,[a] the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.”

18 (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

20 “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the Book of Psalms:

“‘May his place be deserted;
let there be no one to dwell in it,’[b]
and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’[c]

My question to brethrens in the house. Which account do we accept? When I was a kid I only know of the Matthew 's account. But how comes the two accounts are completely different. Bible scholars please help. Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappvillesacun: 5:36am On Feb 09, 2016
The bible is corrupted my dear.

1 Like

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappville(f): 5:38am On Feb 09, 2016
plappvillesacun:

You Ishmaelitems who called you here.? And your moniker is a scam. tongue

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappvillesacun: 5:39am On Feb 09, 2016
plappville:

You Ishmaelitems who called you here.? And your moniker is a scam. tongue

Hush yo face woman smiley
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappville(f): 5:42am On Feb 09, 2016
plappvillesacun:

Hush yo face woman smiley

My profile picture is what is eating you muslims up. That's why it will remain there till.... cheesy
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappvillesacun: 5:45am On Feb 09, 2016
plappville:

My profile picture is what is eating you muslims up. That's why it will remain there till.... cheesy

Can't wait for u 2 rtrn 2 naija la
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappville(f): 5:53am On Feb 09, 2016
plappvillesacun:

You are not a threat. I travel alot. And i will be in Nigeria this month end. Locate me if you can. You jihadist. Allah s army. Kindergarten. You will rot in hell with Muhammad. (Sbuh) cheesy

Now leave my thread... angry

1 Like

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by excellencyabia1: 6:44am On Feb 09, 2016
plappvillesacun:
blasphemy
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Karlovich: 6:47am On Feb 09, 2016
Only lies need multiple versons
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by bingbagbo(m): 6:53am On Feb 09, 2016
WHERE lies the discrepancy ?

Fact is JUDAS died

He regretted of his deeds

The money he took was used to buy land

he committed suicide

what's your point?

If i send you money to buy a car....haven't i bought the car? pray

The bible is true...unbelief is a sin

the devil is trying to deceive you with these kinds of thoughts

Jesus be with you

1 Like

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Scholar8200(m): 7:16am On Feb 09, 2016
plappville:

3 When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”

5 So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

6 The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.”

But Acts 1:15-20, gives a different and even grislier version of Judas’ demise. See it.

15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) 16 and said, “Brothers and sisters,[a] the Scripture had to be fulfilled in which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus. 17 He was one of our number and shared in our ministry.”

18 (With the payment he received for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. 19 Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language Akeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

let there be no one to dwell in it,
and,

My question to brethrens in the house. Which account do we accept? When I was a kid I only know of the Matthew 's account. But how comes the two accounts are completely different. Bible scholars please help. Thank you in advance.

Both agree correct and complementary!

1. Judas fell from an elevated point and in a subnormal body condition. Ever seen one who tripped and fell and BURST with all his entrails gushing out? NO. The very scenario suggests a bloated corpse fell from an elevated point.

2. Judas hung himself just about the time Jesus was being condemned by the sanhedrin (believed to be thursday night) meaninig he was on the tree for a considerable time . This is accentuated by the fact that the next day was a high sabbath when no one will come near a dead body.

3. Apart from sabbath, a dead body was a source of uncleanness to the Israelites hence Judas had to remain hung till either the authorities saw him or ...
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Annunaki(m): 8:38am On Feb 09, 2016
plappvillesacun:

Plappville you've gotten yourself an islamist boyfriend grin
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by ayoku777(m): 9:16am On Feb 09, 2016
plappville:

let there be no one to dwell in it,’
and,

“‘May another take his place of leadership.’

Matthew 27v5 -And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1v18 -Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Judas was obviously hanging on the tree for about three to seven days. Because the jews would not go near or bury dead body during passover day, to unleavened bread day, to sabbath day.

By the fourth day, his hanging body must have become heavy enough to fall and bloated enough to burst open from the impact of falling.

And who knows, the jews might even had left the body there for eleven days, until the end of the eight day of the feast of unleavened bread. Since they considered a body hanging on a tree accursed of God.

So Matthew's account that Judas hung himself, and Act's account that he fell headlong and he burst asunder and his bowels gushed out; are not contradictory, they are complementary information of the same event.

Because that is what would happen, if his hanging body was left there on the tree for four to eleven days until bloated and decomposing.

The second issue that critics raise about the two accounts is that Matthew's account said Judas returned the money to the pharisees, while Acts' account claimed Judas used the money to buy a field.

Matthew 27v5 - And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1v18 - Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

But that's wrong assumption. Acts' account did not say Judas used the thirty pieces of silver to buy the field. What the bible said was;

Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; ...

"The reward of iniquity" here means proceeds from sin. It doesn't mean the thirty pieces of silver, it could mean the money he had been stealing from the ministry purse of Jesus.

Judas kept the ministry bag and he constantly stole from it.

John 13v29 For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.

John 12v6 -This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

So again, Judas did return the thirty pieces of silver. The "reward of iniquity" (or proceeds from sin) that he bought a field with was from another source of ill-gotten wealth -most likely from stealing from ministry purse.

Although the pharisees eventually bought another field with the same thrity pieces of silver. But that was after Judas had died.

Matthew's account and Act's account are not contradictory but complimentary.

Shalom

3 Likes

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Jesuismoi: 3:05pm On Feb 09, 2016
Karlovich:
Only lies need multiple versons

What do the versions get to do with lies?
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Jesuismoi: 3:07pm On Feb 09, 2016
bingbagbo:

WHERE lies the discrepancy ?

Fact is JUDAS died

He regretted of his deeds

The money he took was used to buy land

he committed suicide

what's your point?

If i send you money to buy a car....haven't i bought the car? pray

The bible is true...unbelief is a sin

the devil is trying to deceive you with these kinds of thoughts

Jesus be with you

How do you think you have enlighten the OP?
Sound as if na you know Jesus pass um?
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Jesuismoi: 3:14pm On Feb 09, 2016
Scholar8200:

Both agree correct and complementary!

1. Judas fell from an elevated point and in a subnormal body condition. Ever seen one who tripped and fell and BURST with all his entrails gushing out? NO. The very scenario suggests a bloated corpse fell from an elevated point.

2. Judas hung himself just about the time Jesus was being condemned by the sanhedrin (believed to be thursday night) meaninig he was on the tree for a considerable time . This is accentuated by the fact that the next day was a high sabbath when no one will come near a dead body.

3. Apart from sabbath, a dead body was a source of uncleanness to the Israelites hence Judas had to remain hung till either the authorities saw him or ...

ayoku777:

Matthew 27v5 -And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Acts 1v18 -Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Judas was obviously hanging on the tree for about three to seven days. Because the jews would not go near or bury dead body during passover day, to unleavened bread day, to sabbath day.
By the fourth day, his hanging body must have become heavy enough to fall and bloated enough to burst open from the impact of falling.
And who knows, the jews might even had left the body there for eleven days, until the end of the eight day of the feast of unleavened bread. Since they considered a body hanging on a tree accursed of God.
So Matthew's account that Judas hung himself, and Act's account that he fell headlong and he burst asunder and his bowels gushed out; are not contradictory, they are complementary information of the same event.
Because that is what would happen, if his hanging body was left there on the tree for four to eleven days until bloated and decomposing.
The second issue that critics raise about the two accounts is that Matthew's account said Judas returned the money to the pharisees, while Acts' account claimed Judas used the money to buy a field.
Matthew 27v5 - And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
Acts 1v18 - Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.
But that's wrong assumption. Acts' account did not say Judas used the thirty pieces of silver to buy the field. What the bible said was;
"The reward of iniquity" here means proceeds from sin. It doesn't mean the thirty pieces of silver, it could mean the money he had been stealing from the ministry purse of Jesus.
John 13v29 For some of them thought, because Judas had the bag, that Jesus had said unto him, Buy those things that we have need of against the feast; or, that he should give something to the poor.
John 12v6 -This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

So again, Judas did return the thirty pieces of silver. The "reward of iniquity" (or proceeds from sin) that he bought a field with was from another source of ill-gotten wealth -most likely from stealing from ministry purse.
Although the pharisees eventually bought another field with the same thrity pieces of silver. But that was after Judas had died.
Shalom

Thanks to both of you. Actually i was a bit confused with the two accounts. That was why i came here for clearification.
Your well detailed comments show that the two verses can be indeed be reconciled.
The Chief Priests did the buying but somehow Judas came to use the land.
Thanks and God bless.

I am using a new monika because i was ban for because of Islam.. cheesy
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Jesuismoi: 3:16pm On Feb 09, 2016
Annunaki:

Plappville you've gotten yourself an islamist boyfriend grin

Mr Annunaki, i am a married woman with kids. I dont welcome such joke please.

God bless.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
Did Judas kiss Jesus?

Yes (Matthew 26:48-50)
No. Judas could not get close enough to Jesus to kiss him (John 18:3-12)

Bible like all lies/liars cannot even keep its story straight.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 09, 2016
Do you expect any truthful replies?

No one on this planet can answer that question.#

Stop asking silly questions.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Jesuismoi: 3:45pm On Feb 09, 2016
hockeyoilers:
Did Judas kiss Jesus?

Are you a christian? Read the Op and please keep of by yourself. Since you people have all right to comment in our, and say all rubbish yet never get ban.

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by MrPresident1: 3:47pm On Feb 09, 2016
hockeyoilers:
Did Judas kiss Jesus?

Mr. Muslim, you better be careful there. I am aware Muslims are asked to seek knowledge from the people of the Book when they have matters that the Quran is silent about. The Book is the Bible.

Your hardheadedness shows that you are ignorant.

Stop being confrontational!

1 Like

Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 09, 2016
Jesuismoi:

Are you a christian? Read the Op and please keep of by yourself. Since you people have all right to comment in our, and say all rubbish yet never get ban.

Want me to call the waaaambulance?
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Jesuismoi: 3:47pm On Feb 09, 2016
Pyrrho:
Do you expect any truthful replies?

No one on this planet can answer that question.#

Stop asking silly questions.

Only a silly fellow calls this question a silly one. I hope you are not silly though.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by Richirich713: 9:21am On Feb 10, 2016
plappville:

let there be no one to dwell in it,’[b]
and,

Here a video and article (based on the video) dealing with this :

http://www.tektonics.org/gk/judasdeath.php

And here the video by the same author :

Part 1 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ado78pyEGIs

Part 2 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Tz96_lex0
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappville(f): 12:55am On Feb 19, 2016
Richirich713:

Here a video and article (based on the video) dealing with this :

http://www.tektonics.org/gk/judasdeath.php

And here the video by the same author :

Part 1 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ado78pyEGIs

Part 2 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Tz96_lex0

Thank you.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by analice107: 1:30am On Feb 19, 2016
ayoku777:

Shalom
Hello Ayo. Where have you been? Good to see you.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by ayoku777(m): 9:33am On Feb 19, 2016
analice107:

Hello Ayo. Where have you been? Good to see you.

Thanks Analice, I'm very good. I've been very much around on NL, just as a reader lately though. Bet you're doing good yourself?

Shalom
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by analice107: 2:41pm On Feb 19, 2016
ayoku777:

Thanks Analice, I'm very good. I've been very much around on NL, just as a reader lately though. Bet you're doing good yourself?

Shalom
Doing very good sir. Good bless.
Re: (judas Iscariot) Matthew Or Acts? by plappville(f): 9:05pm On Feb 23, 2016
Nice one brethren. Thats the love of Christ in display. kiss

(1) (Reply)

Can I Get a Help With The Interpretation Of This Dream? / Guess Who's Gonna Be In Coza Today And Tomorrow... Pastor Creflo Dollar / Seperate Yourself From Religious Bondage Today. The Right Way!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.