Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,304 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? (6186 Views)

Once Opportunity Lost Can Never Be Regain,can Igbo Break The Jinx Of This Adage? / Ibrahim Coomassie: Igbo And Yoruba Can’t Determine 2019 Elections / Release Nnamdi Kanu Now - South East CAN, Igbo Mandate... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by kay29000(m): 2:16pm On Feb 09, 2016
As a teenager growing up in the south west, my parents were very liberal and open minded, but I must confess that I had some older relatives that didn't like Ibo people. I always wondered why. My best friend at the time was Gozie from Okigie, and his parents always treated me well. I never had a course to dislike anyone because of his tribe. I went to a Federal Government secondary school, and had a variety of friends from the various tribes of our great nation Nigeria. I also attended a Federal Government University and had no problem with any tribes. I knew there was a civil war and it brought about bad blood between the Igbo and the Yoruba, but I believed that bad blood wouldn't be transferred to my own generation.

I went on for Youth Service in the East (Anambra), and dated an Igbo girl, whom is still my friend till today. Everything was all rosy till this last elections, and all of a sudden, I was shocked at the hate speeches and comments I was reading on social media everywhere between Igbo people and Yoruba people...of my generation. It shocked me. What caused this? None of us were alive during the war, so where did the hate come from? WHY!!? What went wrong? I don't understand. So, I ask...can Igbo and Yoruba people ever get along?

1 Like

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by titosantana(m): 2:24pm On Feb 09, 2016
We've been getting along offline as far as I can remember....but I don't know what's wrong with you these online people.

12 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by LoveMachine(m): 2:29pm On Feb 09, 2016
Don't mind the vocal minority. We are one.

The majority of Nigerians and black people at large love and get along with one another. We are one.

Hate has a way of reverberating louder than love due to its destructive force but don't let that fool you. We are one.

Some of us have been duped into believing lies about other ethnic groups but don't mind them. They were looking for a reason to hate. We are one.

In closing, stay black! Stay fly! We are one.

2 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by kay29000(m): 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2016
titosantana:
We've been getting along offline as far as I can remember....but I don't know what's wrong with you these online people.

Are you sure the getting along offline isn't a fake one of pretense? You know people speak their minds when they know no one knows their identity. Are you Igbo or Yoruba?

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Musiwa419: 2:32pm On Feb 09, 2016
Two separate countries is needed

15 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by kay29000(m): 2:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
hmath3991:
We Igbos can never get along with ****

Why do you think we are backstabbers? I really just want to understand. They have always been stories that Awolowo back-stab the ibos...Let's say he did...the man has been dead for more than 20 years, and he sure doesn't represent the whole Yoruba people. Also, lets say all the Yoruba people of that time were traitors, does it mean our own generation are backstabbers too.

6 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Musiwa419: 2:34pm On Feb 09, 2016
WE ARE NOT ONE

6 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Iroh88(m): 2:34pm On Feb 09, 2016
Politically, no one can tell. But businesswise, they'd always patronise themselves, attend churches presided over by folks from either side, listen to good music by artists from either side, and date boys and girls from either side.

The love is mutual, so also is the hatred.

4 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Iroh88(m): 2:37pm On Feb 09, 2016
hmath3991:
We Igbos can never get along ****
How are they back stabbers or betrayers?? Did you get into any deal with them and they didn't hold up their end of the deal

By the way, you should review the bolded so you don't get banned. Try to tame your desperation for likes.

5 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Olabestonic001(m): 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2016
kay29000:
As a teenager growing up in the south west, my parents were very liberal and open minded, but I must confess that I had some older relatives that didn't like Ibo people. I always wondered why. My best friend at the time was Gozie from Okigie, and his parents always treated me well. I never had a course to dislike anyone because of his tribe. I went to a Federal Government secondary school, and had a variety of friends from the various tribes of our great nation Nigeria. I also attended a Federal Government University and had no problem with any tribes. I knew there was a civil war and it brought about bad blood between the Igbo and the Yoruba, but I believed that bad blood wouldn't be transferred to my own generation.

I went on for Youth Service in the East (Anambra), and dated an Igbo girl, whom is still my friend till today. Everything was all rosy till this last elections, and all of a sudden, I was shocked at the hate speeches and comments I was reading on social media everywhere between Igbo people and Yoruba people...of my generation. It shocked me. What caused this? None of us were alive during the war, so where did the hate come from? WHY!!? What went wrong? I don't understand. So, I ask...can Igbo and Yoruba people ever get along?

On Nairaland, maybe not yet but in real life, we get along. I'm going for my "iku aka" soon and she's gonna give me awesome kids. I think the youths just enjoy the "friendly" insults on each other though some emotion-centric folks takes it personal.
At the end of the day, hate consumes the hater.

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Lilimax(f): 2:42pm On Feb 09, 2016
kay29000:

Igbos and Yorubas get along very well in real life and this you can see in Churches, marriages even food wise.
However, these two tribes has failed to agree in politics. The reason for bashing each other online whenever politics is being discussedshocked
As for me, I keep my eyes straight whenever politics is being discussed among the two tribes smiley

1 Like

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by ednut1(m): 2:44pm On Feb 09, 2016
the less dan 5% buffons online always yabbing each oda shud not be taken seriously. Igbos and Yorubas get along well dont be fooled. I have never seen where an igbo man and yoruba are fighting in lagos.

4 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Lilimax(f): 2:45pm On Feb 09, 2016
ednut1:
the less dan 5% buffons online always yabbing each oda shud not be taken seriously. Igbos and Yorubas get along well dont be fooled. I have never seen where an igbo man and yoruba are fighting in lagos.
But na true o! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by theDEVILisHERE: 2:50pm On Feb 09, 2016
kay29000:

Why must they get along in the first place?

They have no business being within the same space with each other

They are different people and should be in different places

Nothing tangible joins them together

Also
How can you say "everything was all rosy till the last election"
Are you living under a rock??

lastly
Nigga area aka Nigeria is not and can never ever be great

It signifies the stamp sealed slavery of all africans/blacks

5 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by biafranking: 2:54pm On Feb 09, 2016
kay29000:

Why do you think we are backstabbers? I really just want to understand. They have always been stories that Awolowo backstabber the ibos...Let's say he did...the man has been dead for more than 20 years, and he sure doesn't represent the whole Yoruba people. Also, lets say all the Yoruba people of that time were traitors, does it mean our own generation are backstabbers too.
my broda blood no dey lie? Hope you understand.Blood is sticker than water.
We can get along but we will always be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by geez18(m): 2:55pm On Feb 09, 2016
look man,the yorubas and the igbos would cohibit much better if the hausas are not in the picture.it will take an entire day to explain this so i won't bother indulging but suffice to say;the yorubaman thinks he has more in common with the hausaman than the igboman but in truth,that is not so.the problem between the yorubas and the igbos are the hausas.

2 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Flyoruboy(m): 2:55pm On Feb 09, 2016
hmath3991:
We Igbos can never get along with ****

We are backstabbers for refusing to tag along with Ojukwu and his crew on their suicide mission? Ojukwu deceived even his own people into thinking they had weapons to fight a war they weren't even prepared for, only to have them resort to cutlasses and machetes, and ended up dying in the millions for nothing since they still ended up losing the war. And you call us cowards and backstabbers for refusing to be a part of such folly? ? ? Well Mr. We really don't give a fvck.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by titosantana(m): 2:58pm On Feb 09, 2016
kay29000:

Are you sure the getting along offline isn't a fake one of pretense? You know people speak their minds when they know no one knows their identity. Are you Igbo or Yoruba?

Pretence game is everywhere bro, even among your relatives. Well, I've been getting along with some of the Igbos offline and they've been good to me too.

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by theDEVILisHERE: 2:58pm On Feb 09, 2016
Olabestonic001:

On Nairaland, maybe not yet but in real life, we get along. I'm going for my "iku aka" soon and she's gonna give me awesome kids. I think the youths just enjoy the "friendly" insults on each other though some emotion-centric folks takes it personal.
At the end of the day, hate consumes the hater.

They don't get along well in real life
They are just tolerating each other because they are within the same space

You can't get along well with people when your character, ideology and life view is way different

1 Like

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Wyttcat: 3:03pm On Feb 09, 2016
At this point we don't need to get along, no point, all we need is to respect each other, which we all know Yoruba are not lacking in.

2 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by ednut1(m): 3:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
Lilimax:

But na true o! smiley
almost all the markets in lag are dominated by igbos who pay illegal dues to the yoruba obas, baba oloja etc yet there is peace, igbos pay omoonile fees too when building houses too. sometimes i wonder where all these e tribalists appeared from grin
Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by theDEVILisHERE: 3:06pm On Feb 09, 2016
geez18:
look man,the yorubas and the igbos would cohibit much better if the hausas are not in the picture.it will take an entire day to explain this so i won't bother indulging but suffice to say;the yorubaman thinks he has more in common with the hausaman than the igboman but in truth,that is not so.the problem between the yorubas and the igbos are the hausas.

Your ascertion is wrong
The hausas are not the issue here

Igbos and Yorubas have nothing tangible in common

Before the coming of the demonic imperialist they never knew each other (the igbos even had more contact with the hausa's/northerners as at then)

That alone should tell you something

2 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by biafranking: 3:08pm On Feb 09, 2016
Flyoruboy:

We are backstabbers for refusing to tag along with Ojukwu and his crew on their suicide mission? Ojukwu deceived even his own people into thinking they had weapons to fight a war they weren't even prepared for, only to have them resort to cutlasses and machetes, and ended up dying in the millions for nothing since they still ended up losing the war. And you call us cowards and backstabbers for refusing to be a part of such folly? ? ? Well Mr. We really don't give a fvck.
blackstabbber spotted.
Op like i said,blood is sticker than water.they re still present in your generation.e dey dem blood na.cheesy

A blackstabber is a person who doesnt know that an agreement is an agreement o..cheesy

Forever remain loyal..

Jonathan is a case study.

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by geez18(m): 3:10pm On Feb 09, 2016
theDEVILisHERE:

Your ascertion is wrong
The hausas are not the issue here

Igbos and Yorubas have nothing tangible in common

Before the coming of the demonic imperialist they never knew each other (the igbos even had more contact with the hausa's/northerners as at then)

That alone should tell you something
read my post again. i said "cohibit" not "tangible in common"!

2 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by ckmayoca: 3:15pm On Feb 09, 2016
We r getting along fine it's a matter of respecting each other. I am the only igbo among 45 yorubas and they all respect me like I respect them and when I am provoked I boil and we settle it with jokes and laughter.

5 Likes

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Flyoruboy(m): 3:17pm On Feb 09, 2016
biafranking:
blackstabbber spotted.
Op like i said,blood is sticker than water.they re still present in your generation.e dey dem blood na.cheesy

A blackstabber is a person who doesnt know that an agreement is an agreement o..cheesy

Forever remain loyal..

Jonathan is a case study.

You Biafrans think you are more clever than others but end up the losers. Yoruba and Igbo destinies are not tied together so there's nothing like 'Forever Loyal' between us. Loyalty is conditional and I will not remain 'forever loyal' to one who wants to use my people and I as sacrificial lambs for his selfish ambition. Ewo orisha! Besides, Awo didn't make up his mind about what side to pick between the FG and the Biafrans until Biafrans tried to invade our lands. That right there demonstrated for all to see that Biafra's ambition was to invade and occupy Yorubaland. Only a bastard would remain loyal to one seeking to oppress and conquer his lands.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by theDEVILisHERE: 3:18pm On Feb 09, 2016
Flyoruboy:

The sort of twisted logic exhibited in your post is one of the major reasons why the both set of people have no business being in the same space

How do you expect the Igbos to get along with people that see white and call it black
and still try to justify the reason they call it black when it glearing to all that it is white
Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by theDEVILisHERE: 3:28pm On Feb 09, 2016
geez18:
read my post again. i said "cohibit" not "tangible in common"!

Why must people cohibit when they can live in their seperate houses

The Germans and Austrians despite being of the same blood/dna and ideology do nit cohibit with each other

Now you guys expect people to cohibit who have nothing in common aside being black slaves trapped within the "Nigga area"

This does not make sense
Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by Flyoruboy(m): 3:29pm On Feb 09, 2016
theDEVILisHERE:

The sort of twisted logic exhibited in your post is one of the major reasons why the both set of people have no business being in the same space

How do you expect the Igbos to get along with people that see white and call it black
and still try to justify the reason they call it black when it glearing to all that it is white

Look here Devil, I have been banned more than 5 times in the past couple of months for openly expressing support for the Biafran cause because I understand that the vast majority of you guys (as it appears) want out of Nigeria and are certainly unhappy with this unholy union of a country, so don't flatter yourself into thinking we Yorubas are desperate for your hands in friendship, especially since Kanu has expressed the general igbo feelings towards our race. Fact is that yorubas and igbos will NEVER see eye to eye as regards the civil war; we will always defend our decision to reject an alliance with the Biafrans as per the war, while you all will continue to harbour your bitterness about that. As per getting along, dude, that is relative. As long as we can tolerate each other within this space as we have been able to thus far (till this country breaks), dat one no be wahala. cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbo And Yoruba People Ever Get Along? by biafranking: 3:33pm On Feb 09, 2016
Flyoruboy:

You Biafrans think you are more clever than others but end up the losers. Yoruba and Igbo destinies are not tied together so there's nothing like 'Forever Loyal' between us. Loyalty is conditional and I will not remain 'forever loyal' to one who wants to use my people and I as sacrificial lambs for his selfish ambition. Ewo orisha! Besides, Awo didn't make up his mind about what side to pick between the FG and the Biafrans until Biafrans tried to invade our lands. That right there demonstrated for all to see that Biafra's ambition was to invade and occupy Yorubaland. Only a bastard would remain loyal to one seeking to oppress and conquer his lands.
my people re loyalist bro. We dont betrayed and jonathan is a case study.that s what i mean..
Ok we want to invade your lands? Then you lack history.boi ,where is the capital of nigeria then?

you need to read their intentions before typing trash here cos we re not landgrabbers. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

House Of Reps Members In Heavy Fight, Exchange Hot Punches (PICS/VIDEO) / For The First Time I Agree With Buhari / NASS Members Will Always Resist Imposition Of Leadership – Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.