Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,196 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America (15308 Views)

Eze Chukwuemeka Eri With African Americans Of Igbo Ancestry / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / Ooni Ogunwusi Gets The Key Of Sumerset, Franklin Township In America. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by alanmwene: 12:35pm On Feb 27, 2016
Fulaman198:

Why am I not surprised that Congolese guy or a guy from another Bantu country (not sure if you are from DRC) would beg to differ.
Look, there are no two ways about it. Nigerians are known and renowned for their educational excellence (not to brag or boast) in both the U.K. and the U.S. no matter how much you want to deny it Monsieur Congolais. C'est la verite! Many Nigerians and Ghanaians abroad are going to top schools of their own choosing.
sure there are Nigerians that are doing well in school ,but to say that they are n01 in uk and usa isn't true,specially in maths and physics.And it is easy to prove it.
If you take maths and physics for example,there is no Nigerian teaching these subjects in the top usa scientific school(Harvard,MIT,Stanford).Just check it online and it take just 2minutes to do that,In Harvard maths and physics,mboyo esole is the only black there.In the MIT,you have one Nigerian teaching computer science and at stannford you have also 3 Nigerians teaching engineering.The 2 best Nigerian mathematicians in usa are kate okikuolu(more british than Nigerian) and adebisi agboola.And they aint teaching in great universities.Definitely you cant compare Nigerians to Russians or Indians or Indians who have produced the likes a grigori Perelman(Fields medallist for the Poincare conjecture) or manjul bhargava(Fields medallist) or Terence tao (fields medallist).Lets stop exagerations and tell the truth:asians(chineses and Indians) are by far the best minorities in academics in usa coz ,right now,they dominate in maths and physics in all the best universities in America!And I think that with the right investments francophone Africans,specially camerouneses,congoloses,benineses can give them a run for their money(specially if they are trained in school like Normal sup in France).
Young Asians in Harvard:Best students in physics!
https://www.physics.harvard.edu/node/441
And one of them (shu-heng shao) works with mboyo esole:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.01387
Best student in maths at Harvard:Ravi jagadeesan
https://cogito.cty.jhu.edu/43529/take-five-ravi-jagadeesan-mathscholar/
He has worked with mboyo esole:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.05070

2 Likes

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 12:39pm On Feb 27, 2016
alanmwene:

sure there are Nigerians that are doing well in school ,but to say that they are n01 in uk and usa isn't true,specially in maths and physics.And it is easy to prove it.
If you take maths and physics for example,there is no Nigerian teaching these subjects in the top usa scientific school(Harvard,MIT,Stanford).Just check it online and it take just 2minutes to do that,In Harvard maths and physics,mboyo esole is the only black there.In the MIT,you have one Nigerian teaching computer science and at stannford you have also 3 Nigerians teaching engineering.The 2 best Nigerian mathematicians in usa are kate okikuolu(more british than Nigerian) and adebisi agboola.And they aint teaching in great universities.Definitely you cant compare Nigerians to Russians or Indians or Indians who have produced the likes a grigori Perelman(Fields medallist for the Poincare conjecture) or manjul bhargava(Fields medallist) or Terence tao (fields medallist).Lets stop exagerations and tell the truth:asians(chineses and Indians) are by far the best minorities in academics in usa coz ,right now,they dominate in maths and physics in all the best universities in America!And I think that with the right investments francophone Africans,specially camerouneses,congoloses,benineses can give them a run for their money(specially if they are trained in school like Normal sup in France).
Young Asians in Harvard:Best students in physics!
https://www.physics.harvard.edu/node/441
And one of them (shu-heng shao) works with mboyo esole:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1504.01387
Best student in maths at Harvard:Ravi jagadeesan
https://cogito.cty.jhu.edu/43529/take-five-ravi-jagadeesan-mathscholar/
He has worked with mboyo esole:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1601.05070

You Congolese are in utter denial:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nigerians-have-the-highest-level-of-education-in-the-us/

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Fulaman198(m): 12:42pm On Feb 27, 2016
It's a shame that there are Africans who have to hate on the fact that other African nations are topping education in 2 countries U.K. and U.S. So because it's a black man doing well, na denial go catch you?

2 Likes

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 27, 2016
Fulaman198:

Why am I not surprised that Congolese guy or a guy from another Bantu country (not sure if you are from DRC) would beg to differ.

Look, there are no two ways about it. Nigerians are known and renowned for their educational excellence (not to brag or boast) in both the U.K. and the U.S. no matter how much you want to deny it Monsieur Congolais. C'est la verite! Many Nigerians and Ghanaians abroad are going to top schools of their own choosing.

Am from a Bantu country, and I do not doubt that Nigerians are doing so well academically. And in business. But many African Americans are Nigerian descendants. They have mostly been mixing amongst themselves so the west African element is strong, except for the recently mixed races. Which is not even that high. So the disparity is not making sense.

The op is refering to a system of selection for immigrants, intentioned or not. The Nigerians in the US are most likely to excell because they are there with that goal in mind. To study. They will do everything in their power to succeed in a land they believe is a land of milk and honey, you just work your best and you will be getting to a flood gate of money and educating your entire village back home. That is the selective mechanism at play. I've seen posts here on NL about Nigerian students working hard with the sole aim of getting admission into a US school. It was the same in my country some years back when the economy was restricted to benefit afew individuals of a particular ethnicity. Many of my classmates that left then are still in the US.

African Americans in comparison are in their mind in a land that they were dragged onto as unequal, unprivileged and oppressed inhabitants. Their (those who are not as successful) perception and experience of the land of milk and honey is just the opposite of what an African migrants perception is. The difference is in the attitude.

It is also a fact that there are many successful AAs and they exceed the number of successful Nigerians in the US. Just as the number of successful Nigerians in Nigeria will exceed the number of successful African American Immigrants in Nigeria. It's a matter of statistical comparisons. I have tried to search African American millionares, education, success, and all research I've seen is presented from a negative perspective toward the African American population, and in comparison with mismatched factors.

What you find is things like comparison of the African American low income household with the 1% richest, the white millionares verses the poor African American households, percentage of African student immigrants compared to percent age of African American students.

I'd like to know how many African Americans graduate annually in numbers, not a comparison within a comparison. And how many Nigerians in America(US) graduate annually.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by alanmwene: 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2016
Fulaman198:

You Congolese are in utter denial:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/nigerians-have-the-highest-level-of-education-in-the-us/
These aren't not a very meaningful statistics coz it just about collecting the number of people having a degree or higher,regardless of the quality of the degree.It is more quantity than quality!
To dominate academics is to be the best in the universities and produce the best papers.In that respect Nigerians are no where to be seen!Next,you will tell me that enoch opeyemi ,a Nigerian mathematician, has sold the riemman hypothesis grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by RandomAfricanAm: 10:02pm On Feb 27, 2016
Fulaman198:

Nicely written in an informative and well-formulated sequence as always RandomAfricanAmericanInEQ. Hope you are doing well man. I have not seen you much in the programming/computer science section of the forums recently. Your Input (no pun intended) has been missed. What projects have you been working on if you don't mind me asking?

@Fulaman198 Been awhile man

I really enjoyed being around here. I'd say this is the first place I've had regular conversations with a multitude of different people from/on the continent & Caribbean; it has been a pleasurable experience. Which is another reason I have reservations about this topic ...though I do know exactly what @KidStranglehold is talking about. Though it seems to be mainly an NYC(everybody), Minneapolis(Somali), DC(Ethiopian), Florida(Bahamas, Cuba, & Haiti) phenomena.

For instance the guy who lived across from me was from st. Thomas in the Caribbean married to a southern woman down here. The lady who manages buildings around here is from Puerto Rico and married to a Nigerian man with the last name "yoba". Very pleasant people. An ethiopian family runs a copy & print shop by campus and I sware she's like a lost aunt when I speak to her.

Quick story: I thought the Ethiopian lady was from India at first but she was waaaaay nicer then any Indian person I've met. So I'm thinking maybe I'm wrong about india because her mannerisms was different also, I just couldn't pin it. Then she turned around to procces my payment and i'm like .... only african people got a booty like that.(I felt bad cause she was much older then me .......) then I looked up and saw pictures of her daughter in traditional dress and said "oh, hey are you guys from Ethiopia(could've been Eritrea)" and she's like "how did you know" ....I'm standing there like"wild guess" ....

Anyway, it seems to happen when there is enough of an ethnic group present that they can section themselves off from African Americans. Otherwise you have to deal with people one on one and you can separate the good from the bad, which is basically the case down here.

Right now I'm working on my online videogame trade/exchange business.
www.videogamestashbox.com

The plan is to use the game trade service to fund independent software design, development, and training. I figure that I can perform the software engineering myself then train people to do the programming. I can do the engineering work all the way down to the pseudo code. I can train highschool(even middleschool) students to program and implement pseudo code. Though I'll probably just train young adults 18-25 year olds who need a job.

I'm also running my indiegogo campaign... http://igg.me/at/videogamestashbox/x/13349858

My service is up and running I just need funds to expand. I also need to recoup some of my investments that resulted in debt, which also slows growth.

Lastly, I'm working on updating an older project which is a software development pipeline for game development. I want to make the pipeline (along with video showing me go through the pipeline to produce a game) public so that people have a clear idea of what goes into game design & development. This is what I was doing when the big data wipe happened that forced me to leave(I had put in a lot of work on this)

https://www.nairaland.com/2852742/topic-construction-ue3
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/watch-us-make-a-game-using-unreal-engine-3.391161/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3278253_classdiagram_pngb44e1621666542daad00dd2f4e9c3cc8

Other then that I'm also taking medu neter(Ancient Egyptian language/writing) classes. so yeah Im booked ....

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by RandomAfricanAm: 9:07am On Mar 01, 2016
Still in collection mode about some things. There are alot of mini discusions going on here so I have to break down each. I'm currently looking through my books/notes for...

1. A passage I read awhile back in my copy of the book "among the igbos of Nigeria" by g. basden Talking about the people trained by the missionaries and the purpose / function of them.

2. A philosophical paper on dualitycomplementary in african(igbo) thought by a Nigerian author
Section on the training of men over women by the colonialist and how that effected the dualitycomplementary of the pair

3. A political paper / historical analysis on the birth of corruption by a Nigerian author
Details of "warrant chiefs" installed by the colonialist to serve as surrogates of their authority over the populace

I really should look into Jamaica and the clerk system there but I don't have the textual data to do so.
Essentially when they ran out of Europeans to do certain jobs they had to train the local enslaved populous to do those jobs instead resulting in social stratification of people.

Note: I'm not approaching the education strand of this topic at face value. I don't believe it relay has anything to do with "education"
* partly cause I don't agree with most peoples definition of education
* partly because I feel like African Americans are actually one of the best "trained" group of Africans in the world
* partly because my opinion is that very few Africans peoples anywhere ...continent or diaspora are truly "educated"

I feel this topics issue has more to do with "status" or specifically how do/did certain areas/endeavors become "valued" in distinct societies.

It was a good while ago when I read the above text but it may be applicable to the "education" aspect of this discussion, particularly the "why" this or "why" that angle. @kidstranglehold hey, you ask for me to join in. I gotta do my research man ...though really I've already done the reading I just have to find the text/quotes.

That said this old post of mine maybe of interest to certain threads obtained in this overall discussion....
https://www.nairaland.com/2253974/#32737117

I don't agree with everything here ...but I suggest watching to get an idea of where I'm going to come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyifWls-VBI
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by RandomAfricanAm: 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2016
Figured I'd throw a party here since I have some time here... @KidStranglehold @kingston277 @fulaman198 @Bigfrancis21

KidStranglehold:
This thread may be my last thread I ever create on this site due to me probably never returning to this site(though I took a very long hiatus). And so I want to go out with a bang. The reason my I created this thread is because when involving African-Americans from the United States it is a popular and celebrated talking point on not only this site, but in real life by Africans mostly Nigerians that, "African-Americans are THUGS!", "African-Americans are lazy and don't value education!", "Us Nigerians are successful meanwhile AA's aren't doing anything!"

While I'm certainly aware that this exist I've never seen it outside of youtube videos. Even here on nairaland culture board I haven't run into it much. That said there is a general low level cutting down of other ethnic groups across the board be they African Americans abroad or people who live down the road in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpwgbXPhh70

I tend to lump AA jabs in with garden variety tribalism and keep it pushing.

I'm far more disturbed by the self hate & "Afro-pessimism" that I read here from time to time. As someone who see's the potential we all have that's far more depressing to me than the low level jabs at the diaspora.

...I tell myself this has got to be white folks or something sad at least @kingston277 has taken up the mantel to beat back the hoards grin

KidStranglehold:

A popular yet shrewd delusion among Nigerian immigrants living in the state. They claim AA's "need to stop whining to the white man", yet fail to realize that African-Americans unlike them are a minority group, a disenfranchised minority group like Palestinians, Afro-Brazilians, Native Americans and even Australian Aboriginals in Australia. But that's a talking point for another time.

I'm not quite sure how you re defining "minority group" here. It seems as though you maybe using a political/legal designation versus a straight numerical count of (not)being the majority in the jurisdiction. If the key delineator is political/legal "disenfranchised" then your going in the direction I'm going with my argument namely.... African Americans have a wider array of priorities( sovereignty ) on their political plate to deal with here then simply...
1. Go to school
2. Get a job
3. Smile.

Now that's not to say others don't various priorities as well nor is it me putting forth an either or proposition..... that said I'll hold off on this one for now.(it could go on awhile)

KidStranglehold:

But like I said it is popular for Africans specially Nigerians to boost and brag about how much better they are doing in education than AA's in the states while also trying to look down on AA's. But really their bragging rights are not even based on reality.

The African population in American in total is around 1.6 million according to this link.
http://immigrationpolicy.org/just-facts/african-immigrants-america-demographic-overview

That's INSIGNIFICANT. Meanwhile the total African-American population in the United States is 40+k according to this site!
http://blackdemographics.com/

That's more than the population of Canada itself! A population of 1.6 million vs a population of 40+k million. This is NOT a fair or balanced comparaion. Of course theres going to be more Africans being successful in the USA than AA's. The numbers are not stacked right. Hell the African population in America is even smaller than that of Asians which is 19k million!

There is something else that needs to be added here when talking about the population of African Americans. Before I go further let me clear up the numbers...

There are enough African Americans (45 - 50)million to completely repopulate
1. Canada - 35.16 million (2013) ....and 5+ small states in the U.S.

2. The Entire Caribbean - 42+/- million ....and 5 small states in the U.S.

3. The Entire Central America - 42+/- million ....and 5 small states in the U.S.

4. Louisiana 4.65 million + Mississippi 2.994 million + Alabama 4.849 million + Georgia 10.1 million + South Carolina 4.832 million + North Carolina 9.944 million
[img]http://officialnewbamako.files./2014/12/map_of_usa_jf.png[/img]

5. Central Africa minus Congo & chad(AA would be around 6th largest country population wise in Africa)

Point being that making a call on all African Americans based on ...screw it I'll go big, even 100 people(and that's an exaggeration) makes about as much sense as me going to Cape Verdi and making a call on all of west Africa. You can't go to New York or see something about Chicago on TV and make a call on people on the other side of the American continent.

People think "oh AA are just a small group of people in the U.S." .....no there is a huuuge amount of African Americans here!

KidStranglehold:

What people on this site are essentially doing is that they have a skewed self perception of how great they think they are based on a tiny/small amount of people who became successful outside of their native lands in comparison to the full range (poor to upper class) of the African-American population without taking into consideration, their own self selection process. They don't realize how flawed it is when they do that.

Wait ...oh so that's the angle?!
So we are talking about people still in Nigeria aggrandizing themselves(and putting others down) based off the accomplishments of people abroad? ...or more specifically saying that they, still in Nigeria are better then people they have never met "African Americans" based not off their own accomplishments, but the accomplishments of those expats

I thought we were talking about people who are actually in the U.S. ...or at least have been to the U.S. undecided These other peoples opinions might be as valid as someones opinion of Africa based solely on watching the discovery channel.

I don't even know if it's worth the time then...

KidStranglehold:

But I'm not done yet. I'll go on even further. I'm part AA, but my other half is Haitian. My Haitian side were first gen immigrants, but they were first gen immigrants that already had a financial base back home(Haiti). In the area they lived in they were well off compared to the blacks that lived in that area. Same for the other Haitians. Does that mean Haitians are doing better than AA's in America? Maybe? Who knows, but what we do know is that the number of Haitians in America is much smaller than the African Americans in America. And the selective few Haitians that become success here does not represent how the average Haitian lives back in Haiti.

Bingo

KidStranglehold:

Also my sister is currently in Ethiopia where she is teaching English. She tells us that the people there almost consider her "rich", because she is living better than most of the citizens there. She lives in the nicest part of Adidas Abba and has more of the "luxury" compared to most of the citizens in the country. Again doesn't mean my sister represents all AAs back home.

Double Bingo

KidStranglehold:

But more importantly, I want to use Asians as an example since they are always thought to be the "model minority" in America.First and foremost Asian-Americans are not a monolithic group, but a branched together along with South Asians(Indians), Southeast Asians and East Asians. All three groups which are culturally different. All three populations which are still small compared to the larger Black American population in America, but back to the point... I remember having a discussion with an Asian-American on another site and he himself even admitted that the Asian success in America is a bit over-exaggerated. The point is Asian success like almost all immigrants who are successful in America or heck any other country is largely a matter of "selection". The main Asian immigrants to the US are Chinese, Indian and Korean, and a large portion of them went down the student visa->work visa->green card route; I don't know what things are like in the various Chinatowns, but one of my Indian friends said that his parents would invite other Indian families over from time to time, and all of them were engineers or doctors or managers because they came here to study those courses, got jobs and stayed back. It's not an easy thing to study in the United States; it requires a good deal of money and a decent degree of academic achievement. So the Asians who manage to come to the United States and stay back to form communities already have some foundation and some money to help them. It's easier to build successful communities when the people forming them already are successful or have some measure of success going for them from the beginning.

Triple Bingo

KidStranglehold:

But hey if you guys don't believe me, here's a good article by forbes that backs up my point.

Most Americans know only one thing about Indians–they are really good at spelling bees. When Sameer Mishra correctly spelled guerdon last May to win the 2008 Scripps National Spelling Bee, he became the sixth Indian-American winner in the past 10 years. Finishing second was Sidharth Chand. Kavya Shivashankar took fourth place, and Janhnavi Iyer grabbed the eighth spot. And this was not even the banner year for Indian Americans–in 2005, the top four finishers were all of Indian descent.

It’s tempting to dismiss Indian-American dominance of the spelling bee as just a cultural idiosyncrasy. But Indian success in more important fields is just as eye-catching. Despite constituting less than 1% of the U.S. population, Indian-Americans are 3% of the nation’s engineers, 7% of its IT workers and 8% of its physicians and surgeons. The overrepresentation of Indians in these fields is striking–in practical terms, your doctor is nine times more likely to be an Indian-American than is a random passerby on the street.

Indian Americans are in fact a new “model minority.” This term dates back to the 1960s, when East Asians–Americans of Chinese, Japanese and Korean descent–were noted for their advanced educations and high earnings.

East Asians continue to excel in the U.S, but among minority groups, Indians are clearly the latest and greatest “model.” In 2007, the median income of households headed by an Indian American was approximately $83,000, compared with $61,000 for East Asians and $55,000 for whites.

About 69% of Indian Americans age 25 and over have four-year college degrees, which dwarfs the rates of 51% and 30% achieved by East Asians and whites, respectively. Indian Americans are also less likely to be poor or in prison, compared with whites.

So why do Indian Americans perform so well? A natural answer is self-selection. Someone willing to pull up roots and move halfway around the world will tend to be more ambitious and hardworking than the average person. But people want to come to the U.S. for many reasons, some of which–being reunited with other family members, for example–have little to do with industriousness. Ultimately, immigration policy decides which kinds of qualities our immigrants possess.

Under our current immigration policy, a majority of legal immigrants to the U.S. obtain green cards (permanent residency) because they have family ties to U.S. citizens, but a small number (15% in 2007) are selected specifically for their labor market value. The proportion of Indian immigrants given an employment-related green card is one of the highest of any nationality. Consequently, it is mainly India’s educated elite and their families who come to the U.S.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/24/bobby-jindal-indian-americans-opinions-contributors_immigrants_minority.html

The green high lite is exactly what I would say as well and also what the comparative evidence shows for migrants. Actually if you want a good test find a population of refugees instead of migrants and run the numbers. That said refugees are typically reviewed before being given acceptance into the host country but it's still a better test...

KidStranglehold:

Now compare that tiny minority in America to their homeland

Thirty-three percent of world’s poorest live in India
http://blogs.reuters.com/india/2013/04/18/thirty-three-percent-of-worlds-poorest-live-in-india/

One in three of world's poorest live in India
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/One-in-three-of-worlds-poorest-live-in-India/2013/04/19/article1552345.ece

Now does anyone see the big gap?

This goes back to what I said before...

"So we are talking about people still in Nigeria aggrandizing themselves(and putting others down) based off the accomplishments of people abroad?"

I thought we were talking about the migrants themselves comments not those left behind. To be clear I don't see anything wrong with taking pride/inspiration in the accomplishments of others. I'm simply questioning their capacity to make a call based on their countrymen's accomplishments and whatever they've seen in TV/Movies about the target group been compared against.

KidStranglehold:

But I'm not done just yet. Lets talk about African-Americans moving to African countries. I just found out that AA's are moving to Ghana in record numbers.
http://afkinsider.com/29041/african-americans-visiting-moving-ghana-record-numbers/

The AA's that are moving to that country are among the most successful and most educated. I even heard that they are more educated than Ghanaians as a whole. Why is that? AGAIN Because the numbers are skewed due to there being so few Americans and so many Ghanaians. That is the same situation that exist in the USA; the few Africans hitting the USA are mostly of the educated class, whereas they are being compared against all African Americans; including the educated class and your regular street AA's. Hell I remember watching a doc of AA's moving to South Africa, most of the AA's being rich and successful businessmen/women and living better than the native South Africans, but again the numbers are SKEWED!

Yeah that was a good doc and exactly what I was thinking about....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5pfdIe9rY

There is also this article(which actually reads like a hit piece to me...)
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB984521987681892576
[size=16pt]African-Americans in Ghana[/size]
....Mona Boyd, an Arkansas native married to a Ghanaian, runs a car-rental agency in Accra. Ada Willoughby, a retiree from Tennessee who moved here in 1995, remains even after her husband's death from cerebral malaria. Michael Williams was the head of the African Studies program at Simmons College in Boston when he came here looking for a wife. He married a Ghanaian woman, Afua, in 1995 and stayed on to run an exchange program for U.S. students. Another professor, Lisa Aubrey, bought a house and, keeping her post at Ohio University, teaches part of the year at Ghana's leading university. ...

...Far from seeing African-Americans as kin, most Ghanaians lump them together with other Americans, calling the whole lot obruni, which in the local Twi language means "white" or foreigner. With better education and deeper pockets, African-Americans strike many Ghanaians as arrogant. "When they get into any situation they want to take over, and we are not like that," says R. William Hrisir-Quaye, an official with Ghana's commission on culture. ...

...The crowd at Mable's was diverse. Nathaniel Ha'levi, from Mount Vernon, N.Y., owns the restaurant with his Ghanaian wife and is a self-styled Black Hebrew who counts among his ancestors an ancient tribe of African Jews. John Childs is a retired teacher from Philadelphia who lives here year round but admits that "without my pension I'd be on the next plane out." Imahkus Robinson, dressed in a headscarf and an African dress, stages re-enactments of slaves being sent to the New World for African-American tourists. Gladys Rice, a nurse from Detroit, runs a health clinic, supported by her U.S. church. All share a belief that Ghana is a special place for African-Americans and that this is where they belong. ...

The people who can afford to migrate are professionals, retirees, and people with drive who open there own shops.

Sounds familiar? Again, the act of migrating is a filter in and of itself.

KidStranglehold:

Now what wouldn't be skewed is your average low end citizen from Lagos and other parts of Africa start immigrating to the USA and then you are going to see those haughty numbers plummet fast; because Lagos has a true criminal class. And then lets wait until your average AA hoodrat from the USA start hitting . Then you are going to realize that every society has educated people and every society has got people holding you back.

Again no duh there are more successful Nigerians in America than AA's. A small population vs a large population. One can easily find more AA "thugs" in America than Nigerian/African "thugs". One can easily point to AA's in Detroit, New Orleans and Chicago and say, "see see! dose lazy akatas dont value education!" While one can easily point to AA's in Atlanta, Charlotte North Carolina, Dallas, Maryland or any southern state(where AA's mostly reside) to prove AA's are in fact doing good. Again AA's are a larger population than Africans in the USA. You will find no AA "thugs" in Ghana or South Africa, but instead the most successful/educated of the AA class.

See Above:

KidStranglehold:

So before we go around this site saying, "we're doing better than these akatas in America", at least have this in mind.

Rant.

Edit: To be clear this isn't a thread to bash Africans, but call out the ones who try to look down on AA's and other diasporans.

Sorry it took so long to reply. Been busy opening a business if you get time check me out at [url]videogamestashbox.com[/url] and leave me some feedback! grin smiley wink
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by ireneony(f): 7:04am On Apr 05, 2016
tonychristopher:
But let's face the thread ...you don't blame those that see African American that way ..have you been to Bronx, Compton and Brooklyn.. These are black neighborhood and one thing I have noticed about the blacks in USA is that the African American is more of a violent and low thinking individual

They have become complacent in the socialist and walfarist America that you see the high crime and disunited family life ..it is not them all but it is not all.

The Nigerians came to USA for greener pastures and American dream and they understand where they are coming from and they have a focus bit the African American is content with sagging ,doing drugs and raps so they forget intellectual puruit apart from music and basketball ...even with the whole money they make in basketball they blow it

The evidences are clear

They should stop blaming it on slavery ...at least Nigerians have proved that blacks are not low intellectually from Philip emeagwali to chinua Achebe to others making their mark in sciences

So I think that what we see in America about the niggers as they call themselves are real

Have you seen the movie MENACE 2 SOCIETY....that's a good American black neighborhood
you are one sided. You are Talking about AA as if nigeria is any better.

Bros talk true.

1 Like

Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 25, 2016
ireneony:
you are one sided. You are Talking about AA as if nigeria is any better.

Bros talk true.

With Buhari in charge(a former dictator) and many predicting a decline in Nigeria's economy(recession), no Nigerian should be talking crap. Period.
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by bigfrancis21: 4:25pm On Dec 25, 2016
KidStranglehold:

With Buhari in charge(a former dictator) and many predicting a decline in Nigeria's economy(recession), no Nigerian should be talking crap. Period.

Presidents come and go but human capital development remains with the people. With Trump coming into power, we cannot expect all the best for African Americans neither.
Re: Refuting The Myth:African Americans Vs Africans(Nigerians) In America by Nobody: 5:02pm On Dec 25, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Presidents come and go but human capital development remains with the people. With Trump coming into power, we cannot expect all the best for African Americans neither.

And I agree 100%. But the thing... We didn't elect Trump. Anyways, I been speaking with MANY Nigerians especially this good Igbo guy and they are all concerned about Buhari and for good reasons. After I am done visiting Ethiopia, I would like to visist Nigeria. IMO Nigeria needs a pan-Nigerian leader. Not more false "visionary" leaders who prey on false hope. Just an outsiders opinion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Traditional Ika Names / Benin Bronze Mask / Where Does Pidgin English Originate From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.