Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans (19662 Views)

Top 8 Things You Should Do Immediately You Get A New Android Smartphone / Top 8 Smartphones With 4G Support And Big Batteries That Cost Less Than N50,000 / See The Top 8 Android Smartphones With Massive Storage Space (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Haryor3(m): 9:08pm On Feb 09, 2016
In a world that has gone Virtual, Africa and Africans albeit late to the party are making sure they are not left out. Innovative Africans are everyday developing applications that can help improve the life of the increasing tech savvy Africans.
Some of the Apps that caught our fancy are,

1. Find-a-med – Developed in Nigeria, Emeka Onyekwe’s Find-a-med allows its users find the closest medical centres to them with complete turn by turn directions. It also allows them store and track their basic health information, search based on proximity and filter through specific healthcare providers; pharmacies, eye care centres, dental clinics and the like and, write reviews about any centre they have visited, helping other users identify highly rated health centres in their areas. The app is available on the IOS and Android plaforms at no cost.

2. M-farm – Founded in 2010 by a Kenyan Computer scientist, Jamila Abass after she read up on the ways Kenyan farmers are being cheated by middle men and buyers because of their ignorance on market prices. M-farm is available as a mobile app for internet enabled phones and via text, cutting away the cheating middlemen, and allowing buyers purchase produce from farmers who are aware of the worth directly. Over time because the company discovered that many small scale farmers don’t make enough sales as most buyers purchase in large scale, they developed a platform that allows farmers drop off the little produce when buyers show up and are being paid in mfarm credits that can be cashed or transferred to their bank accounts directly. Mfarm farmers have testified to have doubled their sales with the help of the application

3. Kidsfirstaid – An idea that was born in Capetown, South-Africa by Steve Morris and Paul le Roux. The application provides people and parents with quality first aid tips anywhere and anytime they need it, from step-by-step instructions on how to administer first aid, a voice guided walk-through for CPR, provision of the nearest health care centres with the help of the GPS and also the South-African emergency numbers that can be called directly from the app, this is definitely a life saver.

4. Okadabooks – with over 71,000 users signed up on this platform, Founder Okechukwu Ofilli’s aim, to improve the writing and reading culture of Nigerians, has sure been achieved to an extent. The app provides solutions to the publishing problems faced by African authors as well as piracy, authors can now publish their books on the application and sell for a set price, guaranteeing them returns on each purchase. It also provides readers with Over 10,000 African books and classics.

5. Afrinolly – the innovation behind Afrinolly that earned it the $25,000 cash prize for the Entertainment category of the 2011 Google Android Developers Challenge – Sub-Saharan Africa has also earned it over 4 million downloads in 2015. Founded in Nigeria by Fans Connect Online, a digital marketing agency headed by Chike Maduegbuna, it enables users watch African movie trailers, music videos, online comedy, celebrity gist and gossip, the latest entertainment news and other content. Afrinolly is available on virtually all internet connected platforms.

6. M-Pedigree – Moving from Ghana to over 12 countries including India and Bangladesh, Bright Simons’ M-pedigree was founded with the sole purpose of fighting counterfeit drugs in the market. Manufacturers can now label their products using m-pedigree software’s, which can be verified by final consumers when they purchase by texting the random code that appears under a scratch to a toll free number.

7. IrokoTv – Although Headquartered in London, what has been dubbed The Netflix of Africa allows its users stream paid for Nigeria’s Nollywood movies – the world’s third largest movie producing industry. An idea that came when Founder Jason Njoku found it hard getting Nollywood movies for his mother outside the Country, IrokoTv has so far raised over $25million in investment.

8. Wumdrop – Founded in 2014 when founders, Simon Hartley and Roy Mathieu Borole were looking for a reliable and affordable Courier service for their diaper delivering company. The South-African Uber of delivery uses freelance drivers, who take 70% of the delivery charge, to deliver products to buyers in no time. It’s available on smartphones for both drivers and buyers, allowing buyers pick up the closest drivers to them for speed.

Source : http://www.untoldafrique.com/2016/02/08/apps-for-africans-by-africans/

3 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Haryor3(m): 9:09pm On Feb 09, 2016
More images.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by UjSizzle(f): 9:23pm On Feb 09, 2016
Kidsfirstaid and M-farm's really innovative smiley
Love the whole idea behind providing medical services and cutting cost for farmers. Brilliant!

Nigerians are trying too. But it's time we moved beyond entertainment apps (games and gossip) and try something that will improve the lives of people in a good way, like Find-a-med.

Okadabooks' somewhat like Wattpad, only the books aren't particularly interesting (my pov) and a number of them are poorly edited.
71,000 users isn't bad. There are still readers existing at least.

5 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Femdeoola: 10:28pm On Feb 09, 2016
We are industrious and smart, we are Africans

4 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by tgmservice: 10:29pm On Feb 09, 2016
K
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by stanbuggy(m): 10:30pm On Feb 09, 2016
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Niyinficient(m): 10:30pm On Feb 09, 2016
Niceone
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by sufmood: 10:31pm On Feb 09, 2016
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by tgmservice: 10:31pm On Feb 09, 2016
Wow all my life on nairaland this is the closest I have come to FTC yeepe congratulate me peeps

4 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by homeboy205: 10:34pm On Feb 09, 2016
tgmservice:
Wow all my life on nairaland this is the closest I have come to FTC yeepe congratulate me peeps

Seriously FTC? What will happen when your topic hit front page?? Go to church for thanksgiving

N:B:Work towards greater stuffs

1 Like

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by MChaze25(m): 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
E pain you say na igbo dey cover?
Stop being derogatory jare. grin

10 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Nobody: 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
Sweet. grin
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Flashh: 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
tgmservice:

Congratulations! grin

7 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by sharonalex: 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
Dobox

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Holyman3(m): 10:35pm On Feb 09, 2016
IPOB = 4 APPS.(iroko, Okada, Afrinolly, find-a-med)

REST OF AFRICA =4 APPS.

Let's not pretend we didn't notice because we all checked the names.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by afrideo(m): 10:37pm On Feb 09, 2016
http://www.afrideo.com - Providing cost free online video distribution and discovery for Africans.
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by tonychristopher: 10:37pm On Feb 09, 2016
But they said igbo sell gala

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by psyqs(m): 10:38pm On Feb 09, 2016
cool
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Holyman3(m): 10:40pm On Feb 09, 2016
tonychristopher:

Dont mind them.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Nobody: 10:43pm On Feb 09, 2016
Biafran names

5 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:45pm On Feb 09, 2016
I thought some people say Igbo's do only 2x2?
They know igbos are everywhere but they will rather choose to console themselves with those with small scale businesses on their paths to greatness.
The so called traders are even better than they are

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by tonychristopher: 10:52pm On Feb 09, 2016
Holyman3:

Dont mind them.

I laugh at their stupidity and gullibility

Have you seen waec stats lately bro ?

They say igbo run on the roads and sell gala... Oh gala sellers are developing apps

Where i s onila and mayoroflagos and shymm3x my man

The truth is sacrosanct

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
tonychristopher:
This must be special centres working

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Frankicent(m): 10:53pm On Feb 09, 2016
Haryor3:
Really Motivating Top notch apps created by African's. I love it...My own Hot cake app coming soon...grin
Visit www.GeekLogic.net for tech blog new GeekLogic-"Nigerian Tech Blog Hub. www.GeekLogic.net

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by tonychristopher: 11:00pm On Feb 09, 2016
InyinyaAgbaOku:

This must be special centres working
Yeah in other thread they said is special centre working

I have learnt to ignore them

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by Businessideas: 11:05pm On Feb 09, 2016
Truly motivating and impressive . Congratulations.In the business ideas books section, Africa is well represented by the free app of the business book published by Sunkanmi Vaughan. www.sunkanmivaughan.com
It's"1000+ Practical Business ideas and Directory of Money Sources" with 35,000 + downloads!
From this app, you discover;
-how and when to develop and then protect your business ideas.
-Over one thousand practical business ideas and how to execute each idea.
-how to write business plans and run business profitably plus business plan templates.
-access the contact information of thousands of instant money sources and lots more!
It's available in print, audio and mobile app on Google play store, Windows, BlackBerry
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sunkanmivaughan.bizdir

2 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by daphid25(m): 11:18pm On Feb 09, 2016
Only have that Iroko tv on my c8
Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by tgmservice: 11:20pm On Feb 09, 2016
homeboy205:

Seriously FTC? What will happen when your topic hit front page?? Go to church for thanksgiving

N:B:Work towards greater stuffs
eeem dumb 4uck I have hit fp many times just trying to be cheerful

2 Likes

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by ZeroTolerance: 11:23pm On Feb 09, 2016
Igbos na wa.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 8 Apps Designed By Africans For Africans by ZeroTolerance: 11:25pm On Feb 09, 2016
Femdeoola:
We are industrious and smart, we are Biafrans
True

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Twitter, Elon Musk Reach Deal On Buyout For $44bn, Announcement Imminent / How To Use PS2 Controller On Your Android Device / Official S60v5 Thread For Apps And Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.