Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,914 members, 7,835,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi (71047 Views)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Davood Roostaei Draws Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi's Portrait In USA (Pics) / Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by gentleheart1(f): 4:24pm On Feb 14, 2016
mrDennis:

Smiles , after seeing my rebuttal to decided to add number 3.

You are empty ... This is a map of Benin empire and oyo empire . *take away dahomey whch oyo didn't rule over for long and compare .

Also if that is how Benin rep. Got the new name WHERE does the word Benin come from?. And how did Benin empire get the name since the WHOLE. World was aware of the kingdom .

People like you are so proud , u can't even ask GOoGLE. For small issues ,

If you like add number 4= lmao

Done replying EMPTY heads .

Seriously I read the trash the idiot quoted me in, he thinks people are stupid and daft as he is.
Let's not bother replying him again, he is Yoruba they can do anything to twists their history just to be on top.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Charlesdock(m): 5:26pm On Feb 14, 2016
gentleheart1:

Seriously I read the trash the idiot quoted me in, he thinks people are stupid and daft as he is.
Let's not bother replying him again, he is Yoruba they can do anything to twists their history just to be on top.

your words are too harsh calling a fellow Nigerian Stupid and daft just because of these people who are dead shows something.................you fi join boko boiz grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Aizenosa(m): 12:00am On Feb 15, 2016
The Bini kingdom being a peaceful kingdom after colonial rule and massacre, has made the descendant of it not know how to talk and start ranting about who they are, sincerely I just laugh, because the Oba palace has said the Oba is not around in the palace the children are beginning to talk spoil to gain popularity, I laugh let the great Oba return and let's see who go get mouth talk, even the so called ooni of ife. Even the ooni of ife bows before the Oba of Benin. Even queen Elizabeth crown fell when she beheld the great Oba of Benin.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Aizenosa(m): 12:18am On Feb 15, 2016
teehay45:
going by the debate so far I think the following is clear

1 .there was nothing like Benin kingdom before oranmiyan went there to rule what the benin's had was igodomigodo

2. the title been held by the king or ruler of the benin's was ogiso or ogie b4 d coming of oranmiyan the grandson of oduduwa who his son Eweka was d first Oba of Benin abolishing the ogiso dynasty

3. another index in this debate is population and the popularity of the yoruba language over the benin's...is it possible for a population of less than 1 million to be dominant over a tribe of more than 15 million people when there is no major war or genocide

4. deities like the Olokun, Sango are more peculiar to the yoruba genealogy which is even confirmed by the western culture. how can the benin's lay claim to this

5. the word 'Oba' which the benin's lay claim to have been used by the earliest pple in Yoruba land even b4 the birth of Benin kingdom. one of the earliest Ooni of Ife was Obalufon, Obatala another popular orisha also comes to mind

1. I hope u know that only the Benin kingdom fought the colonial powers or do u doubt that, if u don't please kindly state one battle u Yoruba's fought with the colonial powers.
2. The binis never fought with the Yoruba's, why because we saw u like brothers.
3. The bini kingdom map before the colonial powers came consisted of the whole of southern Nigeria up to republic of Benin except the Yoruba kingdom which even has subjects in the Benin palace.
4. Why is the Yoruba kingdom not as relevant as the Benin kingdom in terms of popularity in history.
5. Benin kingdom sold civilization to other neighboring kingdoms, like it or not.
6. Till date the ooni of ife and alaafin of oyo pays tribute to Benin kingdom.
7. It's funny how Yoruba's don't even know their culture, all the youths of Benin kingdom knows of their culture and origin how come u lot are so confused how ur kingdom came about.

3 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Aizenosa(m): 12:34am On Feb 15, 2016
Your land had no rulership and this always caused problems no family wanted to give up rule for another until the prince of bini kingdom wandered into ife and because he had no known family he was crowned king and now u are clamoring u own bini kingdom because he sent his son to bini kingdom funny set of dudes.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by kingsmok(m): 8:22am On Feb 15, 2016
ritababe:

no
ok oo
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Ricmayak1: 11:32am On Feb 15, 2016
grin
pulsa:

we Yoruba's are suyalysing the Nupes and not the other way around, we were the ones that won the civil war for this country with our superior military tactics the only ones to have ever put the Fulani invaders in their place.

grin
pulsa:

we Yoruba's are suyalysing the Nupes and not the other way around, we were the ones that won the civil war for this country with our superior military tactics the only ones to have ever put the Fulani invaders in their place.

Self deceit
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by davidhume1: 12:10pm On Feb 15, 2016
I don't know why some Yorubas are falling for this fallacy orchestrated by the binis. The Benin explanation of oduduwa is a myth. This guy trekked from present day Benin all the way to Ife, ON HIS OWN. Nothing to trade with, just living off the land, I presume. Finally makes it to Ife, learns the Yoruba language and culture, then he is somehow crowned king? That sounds more like nollywood than reality to me. In reality, we can't find a SINGLE cultural practice in Ife that can be traced back to the edos. On the other hand, the name "Benin" (Ile ibinu), the title of the king (Oba), the art (bronze works), the Gods and even the architecture of the royal palace in present day Benin can be traced back to Ife. What did ekaladerhan bring to the table in Ife that made the natives crown his penniless and powerless as§, King? This is historical revisionism at it's peak! Somehow, the Benin obas were so afraid of yorubas, that they had to keep the history of their own people a secret for all these years? There are many towns in ondo state that were under the Benin empire, yet none of them can corroborate this story. However, the views I express here are for yorubas only! I think edo people are entitled to believe whatever they want.

4 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by pulsa(m): 12:14pm On Feb 15, 2016
Ricmayak1:
grin

grin

Self deceit
dude research well next time before mentioning me, undecided undecided
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 5:56pm On Feb 15, 2016
mrDennis:

The fact that you just said ONDO had nothing to do with. It and also that Benin republic (formerly dahomey). Also was never ruled by Benin kingdom shows you Actually didn't even do basic GST in the university .

I can only advise you to Google Benin empire ..
.next time. Think , ask Google then reply
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 5:57pm On Feb 15, 2016
mrDennis:

The fact that you just said ONDO had nothing to do with. It and also that Benin republic (formerly dahomey). Also was never ruled by Benin kingdom shows you Actually didn't even do basic GST in the university .

I can only advise you to Google Benin empire ..
.next time. Think , ask Google then reply
LOL!
As an Ondo native and Uniben alumni, I reiterate that we have nothing to do with Bini! Bini clowns wouldn't stop to denigrate themselves! How could Bini rule Benin republic yet has no influence in Oyo which borders Benin Republic nor influence in Benin republic herself as opposed to the number of Yoruba natives cutting across the West to Togo and Benin Replublic?
How can Bini claim to have Okun god when thgey have no sea in the first place?
How about these clowns providing evidence to back up claims that Bini was an empire or that the Lost bastard was Oduduwa? LOL! The joke is on you!
That being said, Yoruba have folklores and at the same time, tend to give real men/women names affiliated with the Folklore!
For instance, Oduduwa is a folklore myth but at the same time, there was a person named Oduduwa, who ruled Ife for many years! Same as Ogun, Obatala, Sango and his 3 wives (Oba, Oya etc). We all have them in numbers as a real person and folklores! Don't get it twisted!

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Ubenedictus(m): 10:05pm On Feb 15, 2016
uncleade:

Please go ask your great grandma and great grandpa to confirm this.
they all concur that it never happened.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Ubenedictus(m): 10:08pm On Feb 15, 2016
macof:

u Bini folks really have big issues. . why do you feel so threatened by Yorubas?

so Oba of Lagos stool is from Bini. ..
Oba of Bini stool is from Ife. ..there!

and btw the current Oba of Lagos dynasty (Ologun Kutere dynasty) is nt Bini but Ijesa. ..
I didnt say d dynasty, i said d stool. d oba of bini stool isnt from ife cos there were kings in bini b4 oranmiyan and oduduwa. but eko didnt have d said stool until bini princes came.
My words were wel chosen.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Ubenedictus(m): 10:13pm On Feb 15, 2016
macof:

But that's what Alake and Ooni are saying. . the ignorant esogban..a common chief is now saying nonsense

if Oba erediuwa is still alive he should say it himself that he was no connection with the house of Oduduwa

D oba has already spoken, he said d whole 'house of oduduwa' came from bini and d esogban is right binis are not yoruba and d oba of bini is in a league of his own and shuldnt be ranked 3rd in any yoruba oba's list.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by mrDennis(m): 8:06am On Feb 16, 2016
Diademk07:

LOL!
As an Ondo native and Uniben alumni, I reiterate that we have nothing to do with Bini! Bini clowns wouldn't stop to denigrate themselves! How could Bini rule Benin republic yet has no influence in Oyo which borders Benin Republic nor influence in Benin republic herself as opposed to the number of Yoruba natives cutting across the West to Togo and Benin Replublic?
How about these clowns providing evidence to back up claims that Bini was an empire or that the Lost bastard was Oduduwa? LOL! The joke is on you!
That being said, Yoruba have folklores and at the same time, tend to give real men/women names affiliated with the Folklore!
For instance, Oduduwa is a folklore myth but at the same time, there was a person named Oduduwa, who ruled Ife for many years! Same as Ogun, Obatala, Sango and his 3 wives (Oba, Oya etc). We all have them in numbers as a real person and folklores! Don't get it twisted!

Bro I am also a uniben alumni don't u know the meaning. Of UGBOWO? It means where owo people were defeated I AM also attaching screenshots to show you ondo is essentially part of Edo state, if there can be ijaws ( an offshoot of Edo ). HOw then Won't Edos be indigenous?

The truth is in modern Nigeria we dont like telling ourselves the truth and everything is politicised that is why they even clamouring for more states .

Also if in your funny wisdom u argue Benin couldn't have controlled dahomey since its seperated by then oyo I ask u to Google cabinda (Angola ) and solve your own mental question .

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Born2Breed(f): 6:07pm On Feb 16, 2016
Praktikals:

You are the perfect example of a b.astard

We all know who the true bastards are. Your women can attest to that.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by odigbosky(m): 7:08pm On Feb 16, 2016
If anybody is expecting a word frm the Magnificent one "The Oba Of Benin" i tink he/she will have to wait a litle bit longer. Am sure a reply wont come as this issue has bin dealt with b4. I'm Edo, Esan by tribe and if u knw Edo hstory, u wil knw dat d bulk of the imperial army was esan. I'm nt here to argue wit the yoruba, if we all disagree on oduduwa, we do agree dat oronmiyan's seeds ruld 2 of sub saharan greatest empire. Knw also dat d Kingdm of Benin was establshd lng b4 d stool in oyo nd it even rivals dat in ife wen it comes to age. We Edo stnd wit our Royal Father, we are not yoruba in anyway.....except if u agree dat oronmiyan father is benin, den we acknwledge hs mother to be yoruba frm ife. Oba gha to kpere ise!!!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by odigbosky(m): 7:32pm On Feb 16, 2016
Benin, were the king is truly king. Is there anybody who questions the greatnes of this empire. Let not be sentimental here, even in buhari's speech he mentn on 4 precolonial empires. Sokoto, bornu, oyo nd Benin. We edos wud rather die on our feet than live on our knees. We have neva tastd subjugatn until the 1867, and as freemen we fought with all we had. Go ask the british hw long it took to cntrol edo land. Even when Benin city fell we fought on. HRH OKOJIE 1 of Uromi continued the war. Even wen the brits tried to force a king on us, it cudnt work, our monarchy is supreme, u cnt bend it...so dnt take us as being proud, its our nature as freemen nd chldren of the magnificent himself. I am #Benin# the city were a king is truly king. Oba gha to kpere

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by gentleheart1(f): 8:18pm On Feb 16, 2016
Diademk07:

LOL!

Hehehehe You descendants of a masquerade (Oduduwa) won't kill me with laughter.
It's very obvious you all don't know shit about history. Why am I even replying you sef.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 8:56pm On Feb 16, 2016
mrDennis:

Bro I am also a uniben alumni don't u know the meaning. Of UGBOWO? It means where owo people were defeated I AM also attaching screenshots to show you ondo is essentially part of Edo state, if there can be ijaws ( an offshoot of Edo ). HOw then Won't Edos be indigenous?

The truth is in modern Nigeria we dont like telling ourselves the truth and everything is politicised that is why they even clamouring for more states .

Also if in your funny wisdom u argue Benin couldn't have controlled dahomey since its seperated by then oyo I ask u to Google cabinda (Angola ) and solve your own mental question .
LOL!
Ugbowo is now where Owo was defeated? I no fit laugh!
Have you've been to Owo before? Do you know many towns you would encounter from Uniben (benin city) to Owo? How could Owo be defeated in a place quite far from them? Just see the conjectures everywhere
Bini and lies, eh!
That reminds how the same senile bini people said Ekosodin was where Eko people were defeated! How could Eko be defeated in a place as far back as bini?
I ask again where was the phantom bini empire? Prove with evidence to back up claims that the empire even existed in the first place?
Yeye people!

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 9:03pm On Feb 16, 2016
gentleheart1:

Hehehehe You descendants of a masquerade (Oduduwa) won't kill me with laughter.
It's very obvious you all don't know shit about history. Why am I even replying you sef.
See the ibo loser!
Better go find your ancestral history!
Shameless people!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Born2Breed(f): 9:09pm On Feb 16, 2016
Ooni was not one of Oduduwa's children. He was a priest(ABORE) of a shrine that became a ruler after.Alafin of Oyo was one of them.

Alake is supposed to be called Alake of Ake not Alake of Egbaland.Egbaland is made up of Agura, Owu,Oke-ona nd Ake.Politics made him to be so addressed.He oversees a Quarter in Egbaland.He seemed not to be versed in history.

So is Ooni.At d time Ooni held sway none of Oduduwa's children was in Ife.That is d reason he is appellated as AROLE ODUA.

Oduduwa came from EDO(BENIN).
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 9:16pm On Feb 16, 2016
odigbosky:
Benin, were the king is truly king. Is there anybody who questions the greatnes of this empire. Let not be sentimental here, even in buhari's speech he mentn on 4 precolonial empires. Sokoto, bornu, oyo nd Benin. We edos wud rather die on our feet than live on our knees. We have neva tastd subjugatn until the 1867, and as freemen we fought with all we had. Go ask the british hw long it took to cntrol edo land. Even when Benin city fell we fought on. HRH OKOJIE 1 of Uromi continued the war. Even wen the brits tried to force a king on us, it cudnt work, our monarchy is supreme, u cnt bend it...so dnt take us as being proud, its our nature as freemen nd chldren of the magnificent himself. I am #Benin# the city were a king is truly king. Oba gha to kpere
A phantom empire that has no evidence to back up claim it ever existed is a myth!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 9:36pm On Feb 16, 2016
Born2Breed:
Ooni was not one of Oduduwa's children. He was a priest(ABORE) of a shrine that became a ruler after.Alafin of Oyo was one of them.

Alake is supposed to be called Alake of Ake not Alake of Egbaland.Egbaland is made up of Agura, Owu,Oke-ona nd Ake.Politics made him to be so addressed.He oversees a Quarter in Egbaland.He seemed not to be versed in history.

So is Ooni.At d time Ooni held sway none of Oduduwa's children was in Ife.That is d reason he is appellated as AROLE ODUA.

Oduduwa came from EDO(BENIN).
Facts and reality says not though!
Making conjectures just shows how stup!d people like you are!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 16, 2016
Diademk07:

A phantom empire that has no evidence to back up claim it ever existed is a myth!

Blame your parents and ancestors for not teaching you history when schools failed to. You will learn n know more when you grow up.

Its your bedtime kid, run along now.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Diademk07: 10:10pm On Feb 16, 2016
opal4real:

Blame your parents and ancestors for not teaching you history when schools failed to. You will learn n know more when you grow up.

Its your bedtime kid, run along now.
See this clown!
All I ask is for bini to provide evidence to back up clam that their phantom empire ever exist and this clown went crazy!
Yeye man! Na me say make you no see evidence?
LOL!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by gentleheart1(f): 10:42pm On Feb 16, 2016
Diademk07:

If it is a myth that the Benin empire ever existed to you then the whole history of Yoruba is hogwash.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by gentleheart1(f): 11:22pm On Feb 16, 2016
Diademk07:

LOL!
Have you've been to Owo before? Do you know many towns you would encounter from Uniben (benin city) to Owo? How could Owo be defeated in a place quite far from them? Just see the conjectures everywhere
Bini and lies, eh!
That reminds how the same senile bini people said Ekosodin was where Eko people were defeated! How could Eko be defeated in a place as far back as bini?
I ask again where was the phantom bini empire? Prove with evidence to back up claims that the empire even existed in the first place?
Yeye people!

Please stop misquoting bini history,show us evidence of the trash you have just written here. Binis aren't as daft as you to claim stuff without evidence so please kindly show the world evidence of where binis wrote all these jargons.

Descendant of a masquerade that's what you are.
That reminds me I have watched the movie on Oduduwawa,perhaps you need to watch it too to see how your Oduduwawa fell from the sky grin
Diademk07:

LOL!
Bini and lies, eh!
Yeye people!

Please stop misquoting bini history,show us evidence of the trash you have just written here. Binis aren't as daft as you to claim stuff without evidence so please kindly show the world evidence of where binis wrote all these jargons.

Descendant of a masquerade that's what you are.
That reminds me I have watched the movie on Oduduwawa,perhaps you need to watch it too to see how your Oduduwawa fell from the sky
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Nobody: 2:23am On Feb 17, 2016
Born2Breed:

These are Myths and Folklore's. These was never Sango or whatever.

Btw is it not the same Ooni that goes kneeling before Tinubu and Obasanjo to be nominated and installed as ooni. He should read his history books if his father did not.

Soon, very soon, your name will also become mere Myth and ur story a folklore to your next generation. It's not a curse but my own attempt at opening your 'eyes'. Sango was real and alive then as real as you are today. I'm sure you'd also say Socrates never walked the face of this Earth...and Aristotle. people like you who are more advanced in their arts have started denying that jesus died on the cross. The truth is all of us, our stories inclusive will soon become tales by the moonlight to generations yet unborn but that will never erase the fact of our existence.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by mrDennis(m): 6:24am On Feb 17, 2016
Diademk07:

LOL!
Bini and lies, eh!
Yeye people!

You once claimed I lack comprehensive reading skills but each reply makes me wonder whether u actually did go the uniben of even any other school for that matter ??
Lemme explain your poor intellectual reasoning for the last time as I shall not reply u again cos you clearly not wise .

#1... USA went to Vietnam and was defeated , also u.s have been to Iraq , Kuwait , etc to fight wars ... Going by your very shocking DULL. Reply what makes it impossible for there to be a battle between owo and benin ? If there could even be a war between fulani (sokoto caliphate and oyo )

#2 ... I believe you must have a native name , doesn't the. Name mean something ? Especially when translated to English ! So you think towns all over the world are just given ("names"wink. Lol. You reasoning is shallow.
#3... Eko is. A benin word "ekho". And its ekhosodi. Not ekoskdin. Its people( aliens mostly ) who made it popular to call and spell it ekosodin .

I urge you not to display your ignorance outside , its cool and funny online but in a physical gathering you would be ridiculed and bring shame on uniben in the process . Thank you .
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by Born2Breed(f): 7:34am On Feb 17, 2016
Diademk07:

See this clown!
All I ask is for bini to provide evidence to back up clam that their phantom empire ever exist and this clown went crazy!
Yeye man! Na me say make you no see evidence?
LOL!

ANSWER these questions though I doubt if you can since you are daft and comprehending kindergartens stuff is an enormous task to you.

(1) Do you believe ODUDUWA is the ancestral father of the Yoruba people?
Many Yoruba scholars claim oduduwa fell from the sky to Yoruba land. Where actually did he land? , Any sign ?. Others say he came from the east, ok, did he meet people in the so called Yoruba land? If yes, then how can oduduwa now be their ancestral father?

(2) Do Yoruba have any historic monument like the pyramid structures in Old Benin and Great Benin Moat, similar monuments in Zimbabwe, Timbuktu in Mali? Any sign of an empire in the region as claimed do Oyo?(not talking about clay molded or primitive bronze artifacts many claim dating back to 10BC or the two structures in Oyo-lle, the Alaafin palace and his village market, nor either the slave raiding westward, east ward or northward story. I mean physical structures that tell of an ancient civilization?.

(3) When and where was Yoruba presence first felt in West African history? Why no reflection of Yoruba in many ancient maps of West Africa?

(4) Was Yoruba territory in British pre- Nigeria creation say 1600-1900, same with, 1914 and again in 1960 to 1967? What expanded it and why? Were there aborigines in those territories say owo, kwara, ondo and Lagos before their presence during the British colonial period? If there were aborigines, then who were they?

(5) Did Yoruba Oyo had a National flag and a centralize hereditary monarchy like the Benin before Britain in Nigeria? Why couldn't they ? What was Yoruba boundary with Dahomey before the creation of Nigeria vs. Togo boundary? Anything in common with Togo? For how long was that and why?

(6) If Yoruba clan, the awori as claimed was a kingdom or aborigine of Lagos before Britain why weren't they first to trade with European or Portuguese in the region? Why did the first Europeans to the region not name the ocean "Bight of Awori" but The Bight of Benin.? After all, The Europeans themselves were only interested on trade, slaves and commodities as they careless who they meet.

(7) Isn't true the word Yoruba is a hausa-fulani word? Used to identify people of Oyo? (Basically the real Yoruba settlers, who migrated from Togo or Dahomey to their present location in Oyo). Anything to do with African tradition or Islam?

(cool If true, slave trade swept off Oyo (the only known Yoruba land at the time), and an invasion of Islam, where did they get their further population from and the African traditional religion, like the Olokun, ogun, oronmila, etc?

(9) Do Yoruba have one language and one ancestral city like Benin to all Edo people and dialects? If no, then why?

(10) In 1974, an approval was granted Dahomey by Oba Akenzua II of the Benin Kingdom to change the name of the country to Republic of Benin. Why didn't Republic of Benin(Togo) go to Yoruba being that they are closer and there really was an Oyo empire that stretches to Togo as Yoruba historians claim?. Does that also reveal or shows that Benin Empire stretched beyond the entire Yoruba land! To Dahomey at a time?

(11) Who was the first king (ooni) of Ife and what year or time of reign? and who was the first king of oyo and what year or time of reign?... at what time any of the king bears "Oba" as a title?

(12) Before the Portuguese came to Nigeria the administrative rulership of Benin Kingdom was already organised and structured as a soverign Nation/country/Kingdom with no camparism in the sub-region

3 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi by TheArchangel(f): 2:56pm On Feb 17, 2016
mrDennis:
Am a proud bini man and I make bold to say I CONCUR ! If not for the fact that it was an abomination for a non-Benin man to speak bini back in the old days by now Benin would be a 'major' language second only to Hausa .

People who do not know facts don't know the IBO race/kingdom started after *EBO* meaning yellow man a prince of Benin kingdom was banished accross the Niger and the place was called *ONITSE* meaning "it's enough". Today it is called onitsha . And the whites who couldn't understand bini called them IBO (he-bo)

Ile ife learnt its bronze casting from Benin also it's crafts that's a fact , also bini kingdom was a a very diplomatic kingdom and thus we had lots of ambassaodors , thus the oranmiyan story

Truth be told this is a clarion call to all binis around the world to start putting pressure on FG to revert to regional system let's take ondo , delta, bayelsa and anambra territories back!
And THAT'S THE ORIGIN OF IGBOS...RIGHT
PATHETIC.
I have seen fabrications but this is fabrication extraordinaire.!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Chanel Chin: Oluwo Used To Beat Me, Cheated With Our Housemaid / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. / PHOTOS: Ooni’s New Wife, Silekunola, Enters The Palace With Grace, Elegance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.