Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,274 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV (3666 Views)

Benefits Of Professional Courses To Your CV / 5 Things You Absolutely Must Include On Your CV / 10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by Merlissa(f): 3:25pm On Feb 10, 2016
The most important tool you have toward getting that new job is your CV. It tells a potential employer who you are and should impart your potential value to the prospective employer. It is the potential employer’s first impression of you and needs to present you in the best light. Accordingly, there are a few things that should never be put on a resume:

An outrageous objective or goal
A sense of humor has value. It really does! It can make a bad situation lighter to bear for all those involved. But there’s a time and place for everything, and stating on your resume that you aspire to be the next Bill Gates or Donald Trump won’t get you admired or hired. Save the personality insights for the interview.

Irrelevant job experience
Don’t clutter up your resume with the assortment of odd jobs that you’ve had unless they’re in the same field that you’re trying to acquire a job in now. That fact that you valet-parked cars one summer won’t help you land that accounting job!

On the other hand, the job you had cleaning out the horse stables after school could help you land the veterinary’s assistant job. Unless they’re the only jobs you’ve ever held, be selective on what you list.

Frivolous awards
No one cares about the pie-eating contest you won on a dare. The fact that you were the prom queen or voted Most Likely to Succeed in school might make interesting lunchroom conversation if you’re hired, but these facts have no place on your CV.

Business awards or recognition for community service should be listed. Being recognized as a Top Salesman or a Valuable Volunteer at the food bank is something that could favorably influence a prospective employer.

Pictures
Under no circumstances should the average job-seeker enclose pictures of any kind with their resume. Photographers have to submit portfolios of their work to prospective clients, and actors, actresses, and some photo-journalists also need to include images, but they are the exceptions to the rule.

Submitting your picture on a resume is considered unprofessional. Other than that, a picture of you could trigger an unconscious negative reaction on the part of the prospective employer, who just might not like redheads or the tie you’re wearing in the photo.

Private personal information
Any information that deals with your personal opinions or sexual orientation should never be shared on a resume or in an interview. The applicant’s sexual orientation, religious viewpoint, and political affiliation are not relevant to the hiring procedure and shouldn’t be brought up or offered for discussion. Period.

Also, don’t put any banking data on the resume; you never know where it’ll end up. Unfortunately, your resume could end up in the trash, which could then end up in the wrong hands.

Extravagant verbiage
Being too smart for your own good is a real outcome of trying to impress someone with your vocabulary on your resume. Never use a big word if a simple one will do. After all, clarity in written communication is key, and those who are viewing your resume will toss it in the trash before they reach for a dictionary.

Participation in a technical colloquy may sound edgy to you, but a conference is just a conference and the term shouldn’t be glitzed up. If the reader takes the time to look up colloquy, they’ll most likely wonder why you weren’t smart enough to use what to them is the correct word, conference. That loud noise you just heard was you shooting yourself in the foot!

Exotic materials
Your words must make you stand out to the reader. Only fifth graders (or an exotic dancer) can get away with using colored paper, glitter, frilly fonts, scents, feathers, or anything but words on quality paper to get them noticed by a potential employer. Use anything else and your resume will get passed around the HR office and chuckled at before it’s thrown, unread, in the circular file.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/seven-things-never-to-include-on-your-resume.html

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by TaymmyT: 4:03pm On Feb 10, 2016
Bur wait oo.

What's the implications of extending the years of experience on your CV. Like 6months to 1yr. And also changing your past position to another but still on the same field e.g from inventory officer to Accounts Officer. And being able to prove it during interviews.

Does this have any implications and does employers usually verify from past employers?
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by Anthos(m): 5:17pm On Feb 10, 2016
I dont agree with some lines you wrote up there, i mean i know a professor that have worked with Chevron that has OBJECTIVE in his CV.. You people should stop decieving your selves here! Do this you will say remove, remove that,you will say put this, smh

3 Likes

Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
Anthos:
I dont agree with some lines you wrote up there, i mean i know a professor that have worked with Chevron that has OBJECTIVE in his CV.. You people should stop decieving your selves here! Do this you will say remove, remove that,you will say put this, smh

You clearly didn't read that write up to understanding. She didn't say NO to OBJECTIVE in CV.

Read again!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by leewin(m): 8:16pm On Feb 10, 2016
this is real nice
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by amicable09(f): 9:07pm On Feb 10, 2016
What I have to say comes up right after this post! Lol

Forgive me, multiplication of posts. *smiles.
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by amicable09(f): 9:07pm On Feb 10, 2016
Well done OP! Beautifully written and embellished with ... lol.
Any joblander who knows how to play around with words can fill that up. *smiles.
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by teelord1(m): 10:11pm On Feb 10, 2016
Anthos:

you need to read the post again. ...it crystal clear you don't understand the OP. No one told you not to include objective in your cv here
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by maskamdo(m): 9:37am On Feb 11, 2016
This na oyinbo CV I bet! Who in naija talks about being a prom queen or apple pie eating competition champion, maybe d jesuit schools.....

1 Like

Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by fleps(m): 9:54am On Feb 11, 2016
Anthos:

Here is the grand rule/advice I give to people: If it is not going to get you the JOB, do not include it!

ALWAYS include what will get you the job! If your date of birth, state of origin, religion, hobbies, interests, awards etc will get you the job, please include it.

YOU KNOW WHY?

The job advert may say applicants may be between a certain age range so why not include your age (ONLY IF YOU FIT THE RANGE) and win the Applicant Tracking System (which may be the first filtering call) and then tell the employer you are fit.

Same applies to being a Christian or a Muslim (if the job advert specifies) being active in school with evidence (awards) being from the South South (tribe/state) etc...

Most cases, the employer filters the massive CVs with the ATS before actually taking a look at the surviving ones and so does big firms like Total, Exxon, PwC, Accenture etc

www.acegoals.com
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by fleps(m): 10:06am On Feb 11, 2016
TaymmyT:
Bur wait oo.

What's the implications of extending the years of experience on your CV. Like 6months to 1yr. And also changing your past position to another but still on the same field e.g from inventory officer to Accounts Officer. And being able to prove it during interviews.

Does this have any implications and does employers usually verify from past employers?

One thing you should know is that employers just have connections and staff in the HR Team that do verify every info on your documents when they are sure you are fit for the position. That's one of the reasons why it is advised not to burn bridges when leaving a company.

Mostly this is done for more experienced and sensitive roles and not just everybody.

But by no means should you lie to your potential employer, they may always find out. Only use the Job Title officially given to you by your previous company.

But if you still need to gun for positions which is not your job title but similar in nature, this is where your career summary can come in or your competencies/skills. Always do well to mention 'Account', 'Accounting', 'Accounts' etc if that is the line you want to venture, stylishly but naturally include them.

I also do advice: when writing a CV, have three things in mind... 1) Your present job, 2) Your aspiring job 3) Your achievements so far in your career.

These three make up for a good CV and what employers would love to see and also what most recruiters program ATS Softwares to note/track.
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by fleps(m): 10:08am On Feb 11, 2016
maskamdo:
This na oyinbo CV I bet! Who in naija talks about being a prom queen or apple pie eating competition champion, maybe d jesuit schools.....

cheesy You are right! This was a copy/paste thing

I think the OP got it from here... http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/seven-things-never-to-include-on-your-resume.html

Original Writer: Laura Larimer, Abshier House

1 Like

Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by Anthos(m): 3:10pm On Feb 11, 2016
fleps:

Here is the grand rule/advice I give to people: If it is not going to get you the JOB, do not include it!

ALWAYS include what will get you the job! If your date of birth, state of origin, religion, hobbies, interests, awards etc will get you the job, please include it.

YOU KNOW WHY?

The job advert may say applicants may be between a certain age range so why not include your age (ONLY IF YOU FIT THE RANGE) and win the Applicant Tracking System (which may be the first filtering call) and then tell the employer you are fit.

Same applies to being a Christian or a Muslim (if the job advert specifies) being active in school with evidence (awards) being from the South South (tribe/state) etc...

Most cases, the employer filters the massive CVs with the ATS before actually taking a look at the surviving ones and so does big firms like Total, Exxon, PwC, Accenture etc

www.acegoals.com
thanks
Re: Seven Things Never To Include On Your CV by mcdonald247(m): 5:18pm On Feb 11, 2016
WHo wrote DSS Enrollment ,what do they ask in there question,some body please take it and place as topic thanks

(1) (Reply)

H / Good Curriculum Vitae Attracts Good Job / Job Vacancy..... Pays 150k Monthly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.