Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,615 members, 7,813,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria (5074 Views)

Rapist Begs To Marry His 13-Year-Old Victim & Her Father Agrees (Kano) / How Do I Send My Sister In Law Packing? / I Wish To Send My Husband Back To Nigeria, He Irritates Me Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by Omoboy(m): 3:32pm On Nov 01, 2006
I am trying to send my 13 year old Boy to school in Nigeria I will like to know what are the pros and cons and which school can be recommended your contributions will be well appreciated. He is presently in secondary school in London.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 10:50am On Nov 03, 2006
why do you want to send him there.?
If you are sending him because he is "BAD" he will end up "BADDER".
You have forgotten what it is like.
He will not only lern good things, but a whole lot of bad thnigs.
I also hope you can afford a Private school.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by estylove1(f): 11:23am On Jan 22, 2007
Omoboy
yes you can send your child to a secondary school in Nigeria and i can help u with that presently i work with Bells university of technology i was formerly working with bells comprehensive schools still in d same compound and we hav lots ofchildren which parents r living abroad especially in london so u could send him here. by the way d school is owned by Mr President this is my number u can call me 08028351841 or email me estylove1@yahoo.co.uk thanks
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:27am On Jan 22, 2007
Your children should be at home with you, learning all you know about life. It seems as if you don't have time for your children. You want the boarding house masters to do your parenting for you. How sad. cry
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by English1(f): 10:27am On Jan 23, 2007
Generally, I agree with the last poster. However, a lot of the inner city London schools are very bad. My son went to a very poor school (outside London) and if I'd been able to send him to a private school or relatives living near a good state school, I would have done, as his education really was terrible. He is still a lovely boy, but now at the age of 19 he has had to start taking evening courses just to get some basic qualifications, whereas I know that if had gone to a decent school he would be at university now. That whole time at secondary school was just a waste.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by bunmii(f): 12:56pm On Feb 25, 2007
mamaput:

why do you want to send him there.?
If you are sending him because he is "BAD" he will end up "BADDER".
You have forgotten what it is like.
He will not only lern good things, but a whole lot of bad thnigs.
I also hope you can afford a Private school.

there is no way a kid can turn "badder" in the right boarding school in nigeria, i honestly believe if a child is bad in london they should take him to nigeria to straighten him out, because in nigeria you are allowed to spank your child (spanking does work )without being thrown to some prison. i mean boarding school in nigeria have they got guns? NO, will they call u to say some idiot killed your son? NO. the only negative thing is the seniors telling him to do this do that & that he can cope with - which is far more better than him spending years in prison for being in a gang  or killing someone.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by ikamefa(f): 6:06pm On Feb 25, 2007
bunmii:

there is no way a kid can turn "badder" in the right boarding school in nigeria, i honestly believe if a child is bad in london they should take him to nigeria to straighten him out, because in nigeria you are allowed to spank your child (spanking does work )without being thrown to some prison. i mean boarding school in nigeria have they got guns? NO, will they call u to say some idiot killed your son? NO. the only negative thing is the seniors telling him to do this do that & that he can cope with - which is far more better than him spending years in prison for being in a gang or killing someone.

\

word! grin

as a product of the Nigerian Boarding -house system my opinion is that you come out of the whole experience tougher and you will be able to face anything!
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 6:29pm On Feb 25, 2007
It is not forbidden to spank a child.
You mean Trash the hell out of the chlid not so.
And whats the right boarding school in Nigeria.?
Please we all know whats going on there. What of in the holidays who is to look after the child.
Its always easy messing up and wanting others to clean up the mess.
send the boy to boot camp if you want
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 6:36pm On Feb 25, 2007
I don't agree with spanking or whatever you want to call it. But i do know what some people mean when they say the Nigerian school discipline is better. I would say yes send him to Nigeria make sure he is in safe hands and if this would be of any comfort, i had a friend who's brother was sent to Nigeria about 9years ago when he was messing up, he was sent to Military school jos. That did the job, because he changed from the boy who stole his mum's money to buy weed here to a mature and decent boy. I don't know what it is like now , i mean boarding schools in Nigeria right now, but it is worth a try, he is 13 it is not too late Goodluck
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2007
sisimose:

I don't agree with spanking or whatever you want to call it.

But with corporal punishment
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by bunmii(f): 6:48pm On Feb 25, 2007
what i posted on this topic
bunmii:

there is no way a kid can turn "badder" in the right boarding school in nigeria, i honestly believe if a child is bad in london they should take him to nigeria to straighten him out, because in nigeria you are allowed to spank your child (spanking does work )without being thrown to some prison. i mean boarding school in nigeria have they got guns? NO, will they call u to say some idiot killed your son? NO. the only negative thing is the seniors telling him to do this do that & that he can cope with - which is far more better than him spending years in prison for being in a gang  or killing someone.

it seems some people don't believe in spanking i ain't saying y'all should start whipping a kid until you see blood, but honestly sometimes just talking to a kid is not enough.

sisimose:

I don't agree with spanking or whatever you want to call it. But i do know what some people mean when they say the Nigerian school discipline is better. I would say yes send him to Nigeria make sure he is in safe hands and if this would be of any comfort, i had a friend who's brother was sent to Nigeria about 9years ago when he was messing up, he was sent to Military school jos. That did the job, because he changed from the boy who stole his mum's money to buy weed here to a mature and decent boy. I don't know what it is like now , i mean boarding schools in Nigeria right now, but it is worth a try, he is 13 it is not too late Goodluck

well if you don't believe in spanking then the child should stay in london because in SOME schools in Nigeria they do beat (not even spank) students
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 6:51pm On Feb 25, 2007
after all that is said and done, will they kill him?
please i am not the boy's parent o Bumni tell his father to leave his child here then. i am just givin my opinon and that is based on many things not just corporal punishment or spanking.
Bunmi i just saw that omoboy is from the uk too, you have no idea how bad the schools are here, the parents can do as much as they can, but the schools and govt turns all the parent's good work to nothing with their silly policies. So i don't blame him if he has reached the end of his tethers with his son, i am sure other parents will understand how he feels. Again if it means chosing between letting my son grow up carrying knives , guns, doing drugs that are so easy to come by , playing truant, getting killed for being in the wrong group or at the wrong place at the wrong time, then i will go for Nigeria, not saying it is a guarantee but it sure seems a less dangerous place than the uk at the moment especially for young black boys.

check the statistics, young black boys are getting killed daily. i understand this father's cry(omoboy)
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2007
It suprises me that a man cannot handle his 13 year old son.
I see many Nigerians here that try to bring up their kids oyibo style only to wake up to see that the kids are out of control.
I was at the busstop once and met a Nigerian that had just bought a cell phone for his 8 year old son.
The boy was packing it out and the father told him to wait till the get home. The boy did not even listen to the father. I told the boy in a hash voice to pack it away and he did it so fast.
I have warned the father if he dose not handle his son now he will grow into a monster.
Nothing can spoil a child that has a solid home foundation.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 7:08pm On Feb 25, 2007
that is quite a strong comment there. do you know this particular man? i mean omoboy?
It is easy to tell others how they should bring up their children isn't it? if only.
do you know that many fathers are trying their hardest to make ends meet? from long hours to keeping a roof over the family's head, pay all the ever increasing bills. Do you know every year the council increases taxes, I don't know if he lives in London, but it is one of the most expensive cities to live, in fact the Uk is mad at the moment. Not everyone has a 9-5 cushy job with fat salaries and then have the time to see what exactly is going on with the children, especially teens(this is the sad reality). I dont know his personal circumstance? but i think he is a decent dad , to cry for help , there is nothing wrong there. If only parenthood was easy and there was a formular
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 7:17pm On Feb 25, 2007
Ho yes its easy to tell others how to bring up their kids and its easy to put blame one every
other thing except ones self.
When my kid was just 3 years old she would not hear one.
But the Nursery school teacher came and advised me to handle it fast.
She said the child will not grow out of anything it will become worse as she gets older.
Cut it at the bud , pull out the weed with the roots.
Oyibo method of bringing up kids is not for us (Nigerians)
All over the world people go to work and are not at home the whole day.
The boy is just 13 please.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 7:28pm On Feb 25, 2007
Oyibo method of bringing up kids is not for us (Nigerians)
All over the world people go to work and are not at home the whole day.
The boy is just 13 please.

I don't think omoboy said he used oyinbo method to bring up his child. Being abroad does not mean everyone is bringing up their children the oyinbo way . Even some people in Nigeria don't beat their children, many funny people use oyinbo style in Nigeria to bring their children up to(what about these people?) anyway it is good to nip things at the bud, but how do you nip things at the bud? what works for family A , may not work for Family B.  Even those who sit at home 24/7 with their children still mess up. We all do, it is knowing when to cry out, which is what omoboy is doing and i say there is nothing wrong with it. There is no perfect mother or father here . Tony Blair prime minister of UK. his son a few years ago was seen slumped on the pavements drunk at age 15 or 16. Its is not our way, , but is our way, just spanking and beating? is there not more to it? from how children are told to speak to elders to how they behave in public etc are parts of our way. so sometimes the beating can be taken out and we can concentrate on the other very good methods that work. on some kids and sometimes not. Oyinbo way works for oyinbos (not all the time) naija way works for us(not all the time) . Find your equilibrum as a parent and use it.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 7:50pm On Feb 25, 2007
It has nothing what so ever to do with beating the child.
Its about a whole way of life a philosophy if you want to call it that
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 7:51pm On Feb 25, 2007
i think you will find that is what my post is saying cheesy
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 7:52pm On Feb 25, 2007
lets forget about what omo said or did not say at the end of a day he said nothing
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 7:53pm On Feb 25, 2007
By the way were is the mother to the boy.
Nipping at the bud starts from the birth of the child.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 7:54pm On Feb 25, 2007
mamaput:

lets forget about what omo said or did not say at the end of a day he said nothing
lol yes that is the way to go , that is why you should not have said this
It suprises me that a man cannot handle his 13 year old son.
nobody is perfect we are all trying abi?

anyway omoboy if you are reading this , i wish you the best and hope you find a solution to your problem
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 7:57pm On Feb 25, 2007
I should have said it suprises me that a Nigerian man cannot handle his son.
Well if the Mother is white then maybe he has no say.
I know its not easy i have 3 kids myself and am a single working Mother
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 8:04pm On Feb 25, 2007
ah now you talking. smiley
you have three kids?wow! well mamaput(i like this name) you should understand that sometimes some children can really test you. he could have been the strictest man at home, but like i said that child if he happens to find his way into the wrong group at school is bent for trouble.
I don't see how presuming having an oyinbo wife will mean he has no say, you said it yourself he didn't really say much about his situation, so its not fair to start presuming all sorts especially about who he may have for a wife. Not wise at all. If he had an oyinbo wife going by what you seem to think about such relationships, then i don't think he would not contemplate sending her child to Nigeria grin
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 8:09pm On Feb 25, 2007
But on the other hand i too was in boarding house in Nigeria.
And we had those using Apian way(sp) sneaking out to go to parties, we had the smokers and drinkers.
Sometimes suprise inspection from teachers looking for everything that was not school uniform.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by sisimose(f): 8:15pm On Feb 25, 2007
i don't understand the above
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by jjuummaaii(f): 10:08pm On Feb 25, 2007
pls omoboy kindly hook up with the guy that offerd to giv u a contact, i dont think its a bad idea. I had an uncle who did same thin for his 8yr old son and there was such drastic changes in the boys behaviour cos anytime he goes back to london for hols he behaved differently frm his sisters and peers, he was more respectful and the headiness that he had before his father took that step had turned into perfect obedience. I will honestly recommend it for u so long as he returns home every holiday, afterall if u were in Nigeria he might still have gone to a boarding sch and the only diff would hav been that u could see him every month on visitin days.
Just make sure u get a good private school and i heard there are loads of them in lagos, but If U are considerin Abuja i'll recommend Stella Maris College for u cos I can guarantee there discipline
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by Tmoni(m): 1:29am On Feb 26, 2007
i went to CHRISLAND COLLEGE,the school has tremendously improved since i left there
and i got a good eucation and strong beginning to life wich i still refer to so i propose a good Nigerin school for him,
teaches him African Morals and a lot.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by mamaput(f): 8:44am On Feb 26, 2007
jjuummaaii:

please omoboy kindly hook up with the guy that offerd to giv u a contact, i don't think its a bad idea. I had an uncle who did same thin for his 8yr old son and there was such drastic changes in the boy

And the man never felt he was the one doing something wrong?
A man that cannot train his son of 8 years old ,what a mess.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by Easyy(m): 5:18pm On Feb 26, 2007
Although my opinion would be that omo boy should have given the child preliminary upbringing in Nigeria, I hope it's not too late for him to go there and start now.

My belief is that an early Nigerian style education is much better than the UK system. In Nigeria, the child is learnt to work hard and study hard whereas, in the UK, studying is done during play. If your child has learn to work hard very early in life before you bring him to the UK, when he gets here, he will excel and shine like a star.

I speak from experience.
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by Seun(m): 9:06pm On Feb 27, 2007
In a school, there may be 30 children to one class teacher. How do you expect that teacher to do better than you?
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 26, 2007
Send him to Nigeria;its better d involves more discipline, Parents cant spank their children abroad and we all know that, they are loads of nice boarding schools in Nigeria which will sure be cheaper compared to the rates you will pay in the UK, I will advise that you look in EDO STATE cos they have the best secoundary schools in the country even if their own people dont like schooling, or you try some international schools in LAGOS d use the boarding house,
Re: I Want To Send My 13-year-old Boy To Secondary School In Nigeria by doubletree(f): 8:37pm On May 29, 2007
shaddyfr:

Send him to Nigeria;its better d involves more discipline, Parents can't spank their children abroad and we all know that, they are loads of nice boarding schools in Nigeria which will sure be cheaper compared to the rates you will pay in the UK, I will advise that you look in EDO STATE because they have the best secoundary schools in the country even if their own people don't like schooling, or you try some international schools in LAGOS d use the boarding house,

why is everybody saying parents can't spank their kids abroad? As far as I'm aware the law says you can smack in certain cicumstances and you should not spank enough to leave a mark on the child. That leaves the door open to black people who smack their kids.

Smacking is not the only way to discipline children.too much of it becomes ineffective.

@ topic. sending a 13 yr old boy to school in nigeria can be good, lots of people do it. it depends on your circumstances.

personally I wouldn't do it. My kids are 7 and 4.

I feel it is my duty to be around my kids.I am not against boarding school(I went to one myself) but I saw my parents every 2 weeks when they came to visit.

I can't imagine doing less for my child. and naija would be too far and expensive for 2 weekly visits.It would have to be a private school here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What My Landlord Gave Me Yesterday (picture) / Femi Gbajabiamila’s Daughter Caught In Her Usual Slotful Lifestyle [PHOTOS] / I.Q TEST: Let's See How Sound You Are In Quantitative Reasoning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.