Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,038 members, 7,863,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 01:26 AM

6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You (735 Views)

8 Website Mistakes That Will Cost You Rankings, Visitors & Conversions. / 16 Mistakes That Turn People Away From Your Website / 9 Terrible Blogging Mistakes That You Should Never Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by Revolva(m): 11:49pm On Feb 11, 2016
Hackers are always looking for loopholes to explore in order to steal vital and sensitive information. Due to the avoidable mistakes made by many internet users, private information often falls into these wrong hands with relative ease. A password is meant to protect a user's account details rather than giving hackers green light to access your account. we reveals 6 of these mistakes.

The obvious password

This a password that can easily be conjectured by anyone. Examples of obvious passwords are 123456 or qwerty. If you use this type of password, it's a matter of time before someone will be snooping into your account. This snooping will not be restricted to hackers alone. Passwords are meant to be complicated and at the same time easy to remember.

Default password

The default password is one used by the manufacturer of your device which you are expected to change immediately you start using your device. However, it is surprising that some people still retain that same password. The most common default password is 1234 or 0000. Leaving your account exposed this way will come to hunt you someday if you do not change it.

Short password

The length of a password goes a long way protect you online and offline activities. The rule of thumb is the longer the password, the more you are protected. Hence, always use long passwords.

No numbers or Symbols passwords

In most cases, before your account is approved, your password must include numbers and symbols. This is the criteria. What about when you are offline? This is one password mistake that many make. If you are creating a password do not use alphabets alone but also mix it up with numbers and symbols. It will be difficult to crack for hackers.

Using personal details

It's not compulsory to use your personal details when creating a password. Since using your name is a password sample that can be to have your account, it is worthwhile to use other details that cannot be simply associated with you.

Similar passwords for different accounts

This is very risky. In fact, hackers will have a swell time navigating through all your accounts unhindered since you virtually use the same passwords for all your accounts. It's good practice to use different passwords for different accounts. If you cannot remember your passwords, you can write it down in a diary or use an online password reminder software to save your passwords.
Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by ladyF(f): 11:52pm On Feb 11, 2016
I've actually used "password" as my password before. grin
Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by Nobody: 12:01am On Feb 12, 2016
For PIN: most Nigerians use their date of birth as ATM card PIN wic iis totally not proper.
Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by Nobody: 12:26am On Feb 12, 2016
Good info. And just to add: making a password long and including upper and lower cases as well as numbers is not where the problem lies. Anyone can do these. But the greater problem lies with being able to remember all your passwords for so many accounts you're signed up with. And to say you should write your password on paper or save it on an app is as risky as all the other loopholes you mentioned 'cos just anyone could assess this. There is one billboard advert Fidelity Bank once placed that said it all: YOUR PASSWORD AND YOUR PIN ARE SAFE ONLY INSIDE YOUR HEAD. And to that I add... BUT MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THE HABIT OF VOCALIZING WHAT THEY'RE WRITING OR TYPING.

So, how do you handle the double needs - need for safety on one hand and for recall on another - regarding your password? I have these 3 suggestions:
1. USE YOUR GOOGLE, FACEBOOK OR TWITTER ACCOUNTS FOR SIGNING INTO ALL YOUR OTHER ACCOUNTS: These days, almost every site allow for you to sign in with any of these biggies. So, think of something no one can guess about you such as the memorable experience you had, and take something from it and use it to create your password basis for each of the biggies that I have mentioned. Here is an example of my suggestion: Let's say one of your most memorable experiences was your first day at kindergarten. You still remember how your mom brought you to school and dropped you off and suddenly she was nowhere to be found. You still remember how you thought the whole world had ended, your mom having been 'lost'. Then you still remember one of the matrons coming to say 'smallie don't cry'. You later knew that matron on your street as you grew up and each time you saw her, you remembered your very first day at school on Earth. Then, you came to know her name as 'Zainab Priscillia'. That becomes a good basis for password - zainabpriscillia. You can add something like '4fb' on your Facebook account for example to have zainabpriscillia4fb, etc.

2. GET AN OPENID ACCOUNT: It's at www.openid.com. Well, your Google, FB and Twitter accounts are also used for signing into OpenId and OpenId is used for signing into most websites.

3. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORDS REGULARLY: After a month, or two or three, change your password by evoking something else, such as a funny saying of your granny in your local language. Thanx.

1 Like

Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by nouvelle(f): 12:58am On Feb 12, 2016
These days passwords are too many joor. Hard to keep track. Thanks OP for the wake up call.
Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by Donald3d(m): 6:08am On Feb 12, 2016
+Niaraland2Is3An4Awesome5Place+ i think this is a good password *winks*
Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by mahaveer96: 6:46am On Feb 12, 2016
Yes, Am Agree with you , Once i change my password with my Date of birth But..... It Will Hack embarassed [url]Myhindihelp.com[/url] <a href="http://myhindihelp.com/">Thanks</a>
Re: 6 Password Mistakes That Hackers Will Use Against You by Warlord3000(m): 7:27am On Feb 13, 2016
Password risk is something to be a little bit more careful about in this digital age or else OYO wink

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help With Setting Up My Domainking Account With My Blogger / The True Value Of Nairaland.com / I Will Write/edit Your Articles, Essays And Assignments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.