Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,387 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] (2355 Views)

Africa’s Richest Man, Aliko Dangote, To Set Up Peugeot Assembly Plant In Kaduna / Man Redesigns An Abandoned Peugeot 504 In Enugu (Photos) / My Bicycle Restoration Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 4:28pm On Feb 12, 2016
I intend to restore a D9 406 back to its glorious form but I have no idea where to start or how much it could cost me.
Car History
The car belongs to my dad. He got it around 2004 and in 2007 it was involved in a ghastly motor accident. He took it to a cheap auto workshop where it was repaired to a driveable state. The problems, as I perceive them, include:
1. The engine oil, transmission oil and just about every other fluid the mechanic uses in it are not the recommended and before now we have all given no attention to it;
2. I’m not sure but I believe there is no thermostat in the car now and the mechanic must have bypassed the fan factory setting because it sometimes overheats and the ac rarely ever works;
3. Because of 1 and 2, and some other failed sensors or things that I might not know, he has had to replace the engine twice;
4. The airbags were not replaced;
5. The wiring is a little messed up now—the windows don’t wind up and down when you want them to and the audio system don’t function properly.
Proposed Work
I know he loves the car so I hope the car can be restored. His mechanic has recently worked on it but before it breaks down again I want to:
1. Panel beat it to shape and repaint;
2. Change all the fluids with the recommended ones;
3. Return the wiring to default and get all the electrical working;
4. Install CD disk changer in the boot;
5. Install airbags;
6. Interior detailing to make it look new again;
7. Restore thermostat, fan functioning and get the cooling system to optimal performance;
8. Scan and fix all errors;
9. Etcetera—Please suggest more.
I am hoping someone here can guide me on the possible cost for this and perhaps suggest the perfect mechanic for it. I am in Enugu state and quite frankly, I am not calling people on phone already because I fear the cost of a project like this will be much. So please, someone should help my mind rest in peace.
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:49pm On Feb 12, 2016
save your self, sell this car as it is, add a little money and buy another peugeot.

2 Likes

Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by redcliff: 6:11pm On Feb 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
save your self, sell this car as it is, add a little money and buy another peugeot.

Genau so!!!
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
I was actually inspired to do this after watching and reading your thread "Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online" and quite frankly I will prefer a v6 variant of the car. So selling seems like the better option; but if I were to pursue this plan, could you give me an estimate for it? Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by ruby360: 8:50pm On Feb 12, 2016
[size=35pt]Please Sell the Car and buy a Toks 406 fox

Do not attempt to restore that car.

I repeat....

Do not attempt to restore that car!!!

Because you will never get the original Glory & mechanics will chop your money.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:28pm On Feb 12, 2016
Emrich:

I was actually inspired to do this after watching and reading your thread "Remotely Follow Your Vehicle Repairs Online" and quite frankly I will prefer a v6 variant of the car. So selling seems like the better option; but if I were to pursue this plan, could you give me an estimate for it? Thank you.

Upload pics of the car, include pics of the engine bay and areas that need work.
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by king406(m): 12:24am On Feb 13, 2016
One of my favorite cars! 2001 D9 EW12 and V6. No doubt this car will become a classic.

I suggest u sell it off and buy another one bro.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by mjbaba: 4:04am On Feb 13, 2016
Don't even try it. U will so regret. It will never ever come back and ur dad will just be suffering. Cos everyday na issues
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 10:38am On Feb 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Upload pics of the car, include pics of the engine bay and areas that need work.

Sorry the car is with my parents and I won't be visiting them any time soon. However, other than wiring it to get all the electrical working, it needs a new dashboard (for the airbag, the old one has patches) and the panel beating work is just to align the bonnet well so it can close without leaving any gaps.
Then the thermostat and the fan
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 10:56am On Feb 13, 2016
@mjbaba, king406 and ruby360 I totally understand your points but if there's any chance that this car could still function well I will like to explore it.
I still plan to buy either v6 406 or 607 but that will likely be early next year.

For now, however, this particular 406 moves, I believe it's just wrong wiring and connections that make it suffer constant breakdown and instead of selling it off to someone that will probably kill it, I want to try, to redo the connections. If after this it still fails then it will have to go. But I don't see why a car that has its mechanics restored to factory default should not function like new.

Plus redoing connections, using the right fluids, and proper maintenance servicing can't possibly be as costly as buying another one.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2016
Emrich:
@mjbaba, king406 and ruby360 I totally understand your points but if there's any chance that this car could still function well I will like to explore it.
I still plan to buy either v6 406 or 607 but that will likely be early next year.

For now, however, this particular 406 moves, I believe it's just wrong wiring and connections that make it suffer constant breakdown and instead of selling it off to someone that will probably kill it, I want to try, to redo the connections. If after this it still fails then it will have to go. But I don't see why a car that has its mechanics restored to factory default should not function like new.

Plus redoing connections, using the right fluids, and proper maintenance servicing can't possibly be as costly as buying another one.

leave that for the new owner.
Before you embark on a major project on a car, do this small eveluation.

1. Cost of car in present state.
2. Cost of car after repairs
3. Cost of a Nigerian used equivalent
4. Cost of Toks
5. Cost of the repairs.

You talked about a paint job, some panelbeaing, wiring, and fluids.

Paint job would cost between 65-70k
Panel beating or properly done a new bonnet+panelbeating 10k for bonnet (old dollar price) panelbeating 5-10k

Wiring: that's a world on its own, cannot give you a price for that. You might need a new harness if it is really bad. Also need to scan after you are done to see what other accessories require replacement.
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 1:30pm On Feb 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

leave that for the new owner.
Before you embark on a major project on a car, do this small eveluation.

1. Cost of car in present state.
2. Cost of car after repairs
3. Cost of a Nigerian used equivalent
4. Cost of Toks
5. Cost of the repairs.

You talked about a paint job, some panelbeaing, wiring, and fluids.

Paint job would cost between 65-70k
Panel beating or properly done a new bonnet+panelbeating 10k for bonnet (old dollar price) panelbeating 5-10k

Wiring: that's a world on its own, cannot give you a price for that. You might need a new harness if it is really bad. Also need to scan after you are done to see what other accessories require replacement.
Thanks for your input, I will re-evaluate and make my decision.
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by ruby360: 12:58pm On Feb 14, 2016
Emrich:

I really see you don't hear. I use a Peugeot 406 thats why I am telling you not waste your hard earned money FIXING an accidented car.

Reason - There are other hidden damages you might not discover now until you start working on it now. If you have money sell this and buy a new car for your Dad.

Do you know how much a clean Nigeria used prestige goes for With 500k You can own one!
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Nobody: 1:37pm On Feb 14, 2016
From the description of this car, I'd say it's not worth investing time in. It's a ruin. Just because it still drives means very little in the grand scheme of things. I would sell it for parts. I could understand if it was a rare car, but a Peugeot 406 with a 4 cylinder engine, that's been beat on? Nigeria is full of better cars, there are clean Prestige models.

You're flogging a dead horse here.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 6:24pm On Feb 14, 2016
ruby360:

I really see you don't hear. I use a Peugeot 406 thats why I am telling you not waste your hard earned money FIXING an accidented car.

Reason - There are other hidden damages you might not discover now until you start working on it now. If you have money sell this and buy a new car for your Dad.

Do you know how much a clean Nigeria used prestige goes for With 500k You can own one!

Thanks, I have already resolved to forget about this and move on to something else.
Re: Peugeot 406 Restoration [suggestions Needed] by Emrich(m): 6:26pm On Feb 14, 2016
Siena:
From the description of this car, I'd say it's not worth investing time in. It's a ruin. Just because it still drives means very little in the grand scheme of things. I would sell it for parts. I could understand if it was a rare car, but a Peugeot 406 with a 4 cylinder engine, that's been beat on? Nigeria is full of better cars, there are clean Prestige models.

You're flogging a dead horse here.

You are right, he will even prefer the v6 variant so I will look into finding one when I can, thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Memorable Posts Of 2017 Cartalk. / Location Of Brain Box / Right Hand Drive Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.