Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love (21802 Views)

Truck Kills 2 Persons Celebrating Valentine In Akwa Ibom State. Graphic Photos / The True Story Of The Boy Buried Alive Inside Brick Walls Of Old House / Who Is St.valentine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by UPDISTIC7: 1:25pm On Feb 14, 2016
The exact birth of this extraordinary saint is historically unknown but we known from available records was that he was a Catholic priest during the reign of the Roman Emperor Claudius II during the 3rd century.
The Roman Emperor Claudius II was involved in many bloody and unpopular war campaigns to get more men to join his army. He believed at the time that the reason why he was finding it difficult to get men to join the military was that the Roman men were very dedicated to their wives and family. As a result, Claudius forbid the rites of marriages and engagements in Rome.

St Valentine was a priest in Rome during his reign. He and St Marius ignored the official order and performed secret marriages of some loving couples for this deed. He was arrested and dragged before the Prefect of Rome who condemned him to a Three part execution of beating, stoning and to be beaten to death with his head cut off.

He is reputed to have suffered martyrdom having been beaten to death on the 14th of February about the year AD270 during the papacy of Pope Felix I. February 14th, the day he was martyed became his feast day in accordance with the ancient Catholic tradition of making a Saints death his feast day. Legend had it that on the day before his execution, he left a farewell note for the jailer’s daughter whom had become his friend and signed it “From your valentine”.

At that time in Rome, an ancient custom which dates back to the 3rd century was been celebrated in the month of February. The festival which was called “Lupercalia” in honour of Juno, queen of the Roman gods and goddess, was also known as the goddess of women, love and marriage.

On this occasion, pagan ceremonies were been held in which young men would choose names of maidens to be their partners during the celebration. This was usually sealed with a gift exchange.

The early church which transforms pagan festivals by giving them Christian meaning, decided to do away with the pagan element which was eroding the faith of the early Christians by substituting the names of saints for those pagan gods and goddess.

In 496AD, Pope Gelasius (An African Pope and the last Arican Pope) set aside Feb 14th to honour St Valentine who was beheaded because of his love for the Lord and his people.

Through the centuries the Christian holiday became a time to exchange love messages and St. Valentine became the patron saint of lovers. He is the patron saint of engaged couples and of anyone wishing to marry. Valentine are sent as signs of devotion of true lovers, friendship between friends and gestures towards the poor and one’s loved ones.

In our Modern era, The question facing us is are we really practising the true love as exhibited by St Valentine the man behind the festival we now celebrate or are we just celebrating another form of what some may call NEO-PAGANISM, a return back to the early pagans.

- http://www.naijasilvergold.com/blog/2016/02/14/the-true-story-behind-st-valentine-saint-of-love/#sthash.gV4Tu5iq.dpuf

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by ayowonder(m): 1:39pm On Feb 14, 2016
nice one

2 Likes

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by amiskurie(m): 7:49pm On Feb 14, 2016
OK DID PAGANS HIJACKED EVERYTHING.

BECAUSE WHAT I ALWAYS SEE IS BLOOD COLOR.

DECEMBER TOO, MASQUERADE COSTUME DESIGNED WITH PALM LEAVES.

INRI-WHITE ACTOR STAINED WITH BLOOD

THORN CROWN

ZOMBIES

WTF!

3 Likes

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Richie0974: 7:49pm On Feb 14, 2016
The celebration these days is absolutely different from what it's suppose to uphold.

1 Like

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Nobody: 7:51pm On Feb 14, 2016
WE ALL KNOW HE DIED BECAUSE OF LOVE AND GOT CANONIZED AS A SAINT. angry

2 Likes

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by ORACLE1975(m): 7:51pm On Feb 14, 2016
K

1 Like

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by BOWOTO(m): 7:51pm On Feb 14, 2016
Now it's an excuse for immorality.

1 Like

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by centyboy: 7:51pm On Feb 14, 2016
vanity upon vanity... cry
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Eyor1(m): 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
Happy Valentine

3 Likes

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by cmikel: 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
For those of you using blogger i just saw this and thought to share it

Must Read Google – A Blogging Horror Story

"http://9ja365.com/forums/topic/must-read-google-a-blogging-horror-story/#post-354"

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by sogodihno: 7:52pm On Feb 14, 2016
On point
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by mikelosky(m): 7:55pm On Feb 14, 2016
Love in the air.....but it seems as if all the Roman catholic feasts are gotten from Romans PAGAN feast and celebrations.the question is why is it so?
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Nobody: 7:55pm On Feb 14, 2016
Cool one
In d same vein, see my Valentine's pics.
I haf to cut my 'astonishing beauty woman' pics away b4 nairaland bad guys start eyeing her. Tah! God punish devil.
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Marshallian(m): 7:55pm On Feb 14, 2016
Richie0974:
The celebration these days is absolutely different from what it's suppose to uphold.

lol... that was because this part of the story was missing as at the time it was discovered. .. grin
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by joowealth(m): 7:55pm On Feb 14, 2016
It has been upturned.
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by 234GT(m): 7:56pm On Feb 14, 2016
Its a celebration of sex now smh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by mrakin(m): 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2016
This year's valentine's day 2016 feb 14 has been cancelled.
Mathematically proven

16-02-14=0
16-16=0
0=0

Any problem? ☺
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by omojeesu(m): 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2016
What an epic on love!
But it's incomparable to John 3:16!!
Jesus is Lord!!!

5 Likes

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by PipSurgeon(m): 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2016
owk. we dont hear
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by neolboy(m): 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2016
very lovely
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by refiner(f): 7:57pm On Feb 14, 2016
sweet!
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Marshallian(m): 7:58pm On Feb 14, 2016
Reverend Valentine.... What u left behind isn't what THEY (Excluding me ofcos) are practicing now o... Things have changed o... Guys dey tear laps anyhw like chicken

1 Like

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by adedayourt(m): 7:59pm On Feb 14, 2016
educative
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by great664(m): 7:59pm On Feb 14, 2016
OP Please what about the Fake story? I prefer that more.

Thank you as you share
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by dan9ice(m): 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2016
But today's Era is something else oo
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by ninodaniel(m): 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2016
I made FP on Valentine day. skibo wait r u kidding me. I nid many likes my menh. hit d like hard like u r hitting toolz a*ss.one love
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by Sunglass20(f): 8:00pm On Feb 14, 2016
Its already Late Na. This post should have been here since yesterday or early this morning. Na now Wey Val dey hot u wan use history disrupt show? People will settle down to read the history when The celebration is over. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by censeakay(m): 8:02pm On Feb 14, 2016
Very crazy
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by ChappyChase: 8:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
I no wan know the man jor!
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by ChappyChase: 8:04pm On Feb 14, 2016
Sunglass20:
Its already Late Na. This post should have been here since yesterday or early this morning. Na now Wey Val dey hot u wan use history disrupt show? People will settle down to read the history when The celebration is over. Cheers!
Seconded.
Re: The True Story Behind St Valentine- Saint Of Love by VickyRotex(f): 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2016
We're not practicing the true love. cry

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Greatest Fear? / Valentine With The Poor! / Waziri Umaru Polytechnic Student Dies In Motor Accident In Kebbi State (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.