Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,954 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG (19133 Views)

Osinbajo Seeks Senate's Approval For $1.5 Billion Loan / $30 Billion Loan: What Buhari Must Do To Get Our Support – Igbo Lawmakers / Falana Threatens To Drag Buhari To Court If Killings Continue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by OKDnigeria: 4:34pm On Feb 14, 2016
Nine days after he wrote the Nigerian government advising against the plan to secure ‎a $3.5 billion loan, Femi Falana, a human rights lawyer, has said he would commence legal proceedings against the government.

Mr. Falana had, in a letter dated February 5, urged the Finance Ministry‎ to jettison its plan to secure a $3.5 billion (about N700 billion) loan from the World Bank and the African Development Bank.

In a statement on Sunday, the lawyer said he had not received any response from the ministry.
“Since you have not deemed it fit to react to the serious issues raised in the letter, kindly be informed that we shall commence legal proceedings not later than February 29, 2015, with a view to compelling the Federal Government to recover the said loans, royalties, levies, and other recoverable revenues of not less than $66.5 billion,” Mr. Falana said.

In a letter to the Ministry of Finance, Mr. Falana had said instead of taking the loan, the government should direct the anti-graft agencies to recover all loans and revenues accruable to it.

“From the information at our disposal, the federal government is owed not less than $66.5 billion (about N13.3 trillion) which ought to be recovered without any further delay,” Mr. Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, stated in the letter dated February 5.

According‎ to Mr. Falana, the five cycles of independent audit reports compiled by the National Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, NEITI, showed potential recoverable revenues of not less than $20.2 billion.

“The potential recoverable revenues are said to have arisen from ‘underpayment/under-assessment of taxes, royalties, levies and rents.’

“If you require more information in respect of this matter you may wish to contact your colleague, Mrs. Zainab Ahmed, the Minister of State for Budget and National Planning. In her capacity as the immediate past Executive Secretary of NEITI she had called on the federal government to recover the said sum of $20.2 billion.”

Mr. Falana said the Central Bank of Nigeria, in 2006, apportioned $7 billion out of the nation’s external reserves to 14 Nigerian banks‎ to “manage.”

“In addition, following the crisis of global capitalism, which occurred in 2008, the Central Bank of Nigeria gave a bailout of $4 billion (N600 billion) to the commercial banks in the country.

“The CBN has not deemed it fit to ask for the refund of the total sum of $11 billion injected into the banking system in the space of two years.”

Mr. Falana also said the Presidency, in September last year, announced the Nigerian National Petro‎leum Corporation’s commencement of recovering of $9.6 billion in over-deducted tax benefits from joint venture partners on major capital projects and oil swap contracts.

Weeks ago, Mr. Falana continued, Abubakar Malami, the Attorney General of the Federation, disclosed that the federal government had concluded arrangements to recover an additional $750 million from the “Abacha loot.”

“In the ongoing Senate Probe into the affairs of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), it has been revealed that the corporation had accumulated over $25 billion (about N5 trillion) debts as against its Act which put the debt ceiling at N800 billion,” said Mr. Falana.

“According to Mr. Ahmed Kuru, the Managing Director of AMCON, ‘most of the debtors of AMCON are big men who fly in private jets, live in big mansions and they have taken money and they are not paying back.’

“From the foregoing, you will agree with us that the hapless Nigerian people should not be made to pay for the gross mismanagement of the national economy by the federal government and the profligacy of the pampered members of the ruling class.

“While acknowledging the concerted efforts to recover the looted wealth of the nation through the anti-graft agencies and the Arms Procurement Panel, the Buhari administration should embark on the immediate recovery of the aforesaid loans and accrued revenues with a view to financing the 2016 budget and the infrastructural development of the nation.”
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/198417-3-5-billion-loan-falana-commence-legal-suit-nigerian-government.html

14 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Meriekriss: 4:58pm On Feb 14, 2016
This one is looking for attention or what? Suing FG??

14 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by psquaret: 5:01pm On Feb 14, 2016
Really??
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by poiZon: 5:03pm On Feb 14, 2016
belleti san, the indefatigable stomach political advocate of naija.

4 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by ShowYourCertificate: 5:23pm On Feb 14, 2016
I had thought Buhari was the only dullard but I thought wrong. Falana is even a bigger dullard.

if I were Buhari, I'll make a mess of Falana by setting up a special task force in charge of recovering the imaginary $20.2 billion and I'll make Falana to lead the task force. That would do the trick. Let's see how the garrulous Falana will be tamed into realising that there was no $20.2 billion after all grin

76 Likes 6 Shares

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by tucky200(m): 5:28pm On Feb 14, 2016
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by peterstech: 6:04pm On Feb 14, 2016
Mhmm. 3.5
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 14, 2016
The kind of figures I'm seeing on NL FP today dey make fear catch me.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by ednut1(m): 6:06pm On Feb 14, 2016
Funny thing when u gv dis man a political post he will be worse dan those currently der grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Berrymoss(f): 6:06pm On Feb 14, 2016
grin. This man needs to be made a court jester

13 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by drss(m): 6:07pm On Feb 14, 2016
dis hungry lawya still dey look for appointment grin

7 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by kennyman2000(m): 6:08pm On Feb 14, 2016
Hmmmmm... We need this man to also get Fashola sued for enforcing electricity tariff increment expired painful pills on us while he can get the Discos sued on what they did with the bailout funds jonathan gave to them.

Check my signature for ur customised wristband

8 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by kindnyce(m): 6:09pm On Feb 14, 2016
Well its clash of the TITANS lets see how it ends..
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Princeojua(m): 6:10pm On Feb 14, 2016
When I was studying Law, my Dad used to say "DON'T BE HUNGRY AND ATTENTION SEEKING LAWYER". Now I understand why. Falana is a mouse that want to spread Lassa fever.

10 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by pdpchangeapc(m): 6:10pm On Feb 14, 2016
Falana gbo tie..tara eni laagbo. Ologinni peku, e nleri pe e o pejo....(in Haruna Isholas voice)
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Brunel(m): 6:11pm On Feb 14, 2016
Lol
According to the video of the blind philosophical men, everything now is in billions b b b b
The billions wey common man no dey see
na wa o

6 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by don4real18(m): 6:12pm On Feb 14, 2016
Just booking
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by kernel504(m): 6:13pm On Feb 14, 2016
TWO APC KIDS FIGHTING AS USUAL.

10 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by blazetitov: 6:13pm On Feb 14, 2016
Good. At least people will see dat d man is not for any party.

It is a pity that some Nigerians have failed to rise above pettiness and support good effort geared towards making the country a better place. The SAN has raised valid points which right thinking Nigerians should support and not attacking his person.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Mpanyi: 6:14pm On Feb 14, 2016
The government has right to borrow. Why not sue them for HUMAN RIGHT ABUSE/ FOR THOSE KILLED EXTRAJUDICIARY sir?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 14, 2016
who be this Falana sef. I no talk am? He's definitely aging!

1 Like

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by jonnieoneng: 6:16pm On Feb 14, 2016
Meriekriss:
This one is looking for attention or what? Suing FG??

Attention ke....Falana already has the attention he deserves and even more.He has raised a very relevant point that needs the support of all Nigerians.Why shoud we go a borrowing when a few people are illegally holding unto our money.A beg let all yam eaters vomit the yam they ate.

14 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by eagleae7(m): 6:16pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
I had thought Buhari was the only dullard but I thought wrong. Falana is even a bigger dullard.

if I were Buhari, I'll make a mess of Falana by setting up a special task force in charge of recovering the imaginary $20.2 billion and I'll make Falana to lead the task force. That would do the trick. Let's see how the garrulous Falana will be tamed into realising that there was no $20.2 billion after all grin

Pls no insulting, If the FG is being owed I think its about time 4 recovery instead of borrowing in this economic crisis already rocking many nations

10 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 14, 2016
This yoruba man should go and sit down. Had he gotten the ministerial appointment, he would not have been making all these noise. Same with Dele Momodu. Political jobbers.

3 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by jonnieoneng: 6:19pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:

U are yearning opata.A beg park well

7 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by SmartMugu: 6:21pm On Feb 14, 2016
I think he's right. Why borrow when there is more to be recovered? Borrowing keeps us deeper in debt, and recovered funds un-accounted for.

7 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by grandstar(m): 6:21pm On Feb 14, 2016
The country's debt burden at 12% of GDP is piffling. Also the borrowing of 3% for a country experiencing a downturn is small.

However the economically senseless foriegn exchange restrictions which is ruining the naira iz an unpardonable tragedy.

1 Like

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by blazetitov: 6:23pm On Feb 14, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:

You obviously don't know beyond your nose. Falana, who can afford any luxury item he wants is working towards a better country for everyone but you find it comfortable to spew out sewage from your gutter mouth calling him a dullard.

Right thinking people know who the dullard is here. Poverty of the mind!!

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 14, 2016
borrow? what about our foreign.reserves?
Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by sanandreas(m): 6:25pm On Feb 14, 2016
They keep mortgaging the future of our unborn kids. We need intellectuals in governance not road side rich men. I was watch us presidential lately, I wish it could happen here and not Aisha rice, PDP rice.

2 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by jonnieoneng: 6:25pm On Feb 14, 2016
Mpanyi:
The government has right to borrow. Why not sue them for HUMAN RIGHT ABUSE/ FOR THOSE KILLED EXTRAJUDICIARY sir?

With all the looting we have seen,u are saying Govt should borrow again........U must be GEJ junior brother{Stealing is not corruption}

2 Likes

Re: $3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG by happney65: 6:26pm On Feb 14, 2016
Baba Falz...If APC grab ur son heeenn,Them no.go play him song for community radio not to talk of TV sef.. grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blackout In Lagos: EKEDC Apologises To Customers Over Shortage Of Electricity / Uneasy Silence In Rivers Over Okowa As Atiku’s Running Mate / I Will Work Against APC Governorship Candidate - Amosun Vows

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.