Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. (1154 Views)

True Life Story...Know Him Well Before You Say Yes / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. / See What My Ex's Boyfriend Texted Me. What Does It Mean? (screenshots) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 1:36am On Feb 16, 2016
The rate at which marriages collapse now is assuming a social symbol status in our society. In few years time, people will be throwing divorce parties & invite friends & well-wishers to celebrate their divorce anniversaries; they will choose aso-ebi, hire a hall and popular musicians. Even a question like "So when are you getting divorced?" will become common. If u know u can't handle the weight & pressures of marriage, please remain single. If u don't know what marriage is all about, please remain single until u do. If u are getting married because of the things u desire or hope to gain from the other person please remain single. If u know u can't be faithful, remain single. If u can't endure insults from one another, pls remain single. If u can't forgive one another's wrongs, pls remain single. If u can't place ur spouse above every other human being, pls remain single! Don't get married out of desperation. If u desire a successful home, but ur choice of friends are those whose marriages have collapsed. Its simple - they'll make u drink from their poisoned chalice. Once that happens, ur marriage is in a process of dying a slow death. Be very mindful of where you go for advice.
Guys, if u know u can't put ur wife ahead ur ego, pls remain single till u mature. There's no way u can abandon the care of ur family at the expense of your lifestyle. They are your priority & everything else including u comes last. You are the teacher, the guide, the bodyguard, the spiritual leader, the role model - u are not a deity. So don't expect to be worshipped. You need respect, earn it by being responsible.
Ladies, if u know you can't be submissive please don't go into marriage so you're not turned to a punch bag! If u know u can't stand being corrected, please remain single.
Ladies check ur domestic scorecard - if ur score is zero, please stay in ur parents' house! Ladies & gentlemen, marriage isn't,& won't be a bed of roses, understand the dynamics.
www.rainafather.
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Richy4(m): 6:59am On Feb 16, 2016
Nice.... the summary of your write up I suppose is; marriage is not meant for everyone.....

I guess that's why the priests and nuns lives longer... cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 7:47am On Feb 16, 2016
Hmmm. true talk
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 8:42am On Feb 16, 2016
Alero3Arubi:
The rate at which marriages collapse now is assuming a social symbol status in our society. In few years time, people will be throwing divorce parties & invite friends & well-wishers to celebrate their divorce anniversaries; they will choose aso-ebi, hire a hall and popular musicians. Even a question like "So when are you getting divorced?" will become common. If u know u can't handle the weight & pressures of marriage, please remain single. If u don't know what marriage is all about, please remain single until u do. If u are getting married because of the things u desire or hope to gain from the other person please remain single. If u know u can't be faithful, remain single. If u can't endure insults from one another, pls remain single. If u can't forgive one another's wrongs, pls remain single. If u can't place ur spouse above every other human being, pls remain single! Don't get married out of desperation. If u desire a successful home, but ur choice of friends are those whose marriages have collapsed. Its simple - they'll make u drink from their poisoned chalice. Once that happens, ur marriage is in a process of dying a slow death. Be very mindful of where you go for advice.
Guys, if u know u can't put ur wife ahead ur ego, pls remain single till u mature. There's no way u can abandon the care of ur family at the expense of your lifestyle. They are your priority & everything else including u comes last. You are the teacher, the guide, the bodyguard, the spiritual leader, the role model - u are not a deity. So don't expect to be worshipped. You need respect, earn it by being responsible.
Ladies, if u know you can't be submissive please don't go into marriage so you're not turned to a punch bag! If u know u can't stand being corrected, please remain single.
Ladies check ur domestic scorecard - if ur score is zero, please stay in ur parents' house! Ladies & gentlemen, marriage isn't,& won't be a bed of roses, understand the dynamics.
www.rainafather.

Who taught people that pressure and insults are normal in marriages? Their own parents? undecided
You must be very unhappy / desperate to believe such and yet get married.

I didn't say yes to such. I said yes to love, respect and appreciation. Anything else would be sick.

1 Like

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

Who taught people that pressure and insults are normal in marriages? Their own parents? undecided

I didn't say yes to such. I said yes to love, respect and appreciation. Anything else would be sick.

My sis oooooo grin

Of a truth you cannot live with someone for 30, 40, 50, 60 years and there wont be the odd time that you rub each other up the wrong way
There will be pressures from time to time and depending on your upbringing and sensitivity you may consider some things insults.

Conflict will come, its how people solve it that is the determining factor as to how the conflict continues or is resolved and with no blood on the walls.
When you hear the starting point of why some couples broke up you will be surprised.
Or when you hear some couples reporting them selves to you, you will be thinking in your mind, then how did it come to this?

People need to be told that they cant have their way alll the time; this applies to both hubby and wifey.
There will need to be compromise and in some instances a total let go.

3 Likes

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by An0nimus: 1:31pm On Feb 16, 2016
Alero3Arubi:

www.rainafather.

@bolded

cc: Ishilove, MrPresident1

2 Likes

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
tearoses:

My sis oooooo grin

Of a truth you cannot live with someone for 30, 40, 50, 60 years and there wont be the odd time that you rub each other up the wrong way
There will be pressures from time to time and depending on your upbringing and sensitivity you may consider some things insults.

Conflict will come, its how people solve it that is the determining factor as to how the conflict continues or is resolved and with no blood on the walls.
When you hear the starting point of why some couples broke up you will be surprised.
Or when you hear some couples reporting them selves to you, you will be thinking in your mind, then how did it come to this?

People need to be told that they cant have their way alll the time; this applies to both hubby and wifey. There will need to be compromise and in some instances a total let go.

I guess most people will agree with you on this but I don't because I don't believe that life or marriage need to be so problematic and tough. That's just the way I see it and live it.

1 Like

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by chubhiee: 7:52pm On Feb 16, 2016
The term marriage has been effectively rendered obsolete by the jet age. We may need to first arrive at a new definition or rebrand and upgrade in other to preserve humanity. baby mama-ism and papa-ism can not be a long term solution.

Have been privileged to broker middle grounds for couples and I shed a few tears for mankind.
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 16, 2016
chubhiee:
The term marriage has been effectively rendered obsolete by the jet age. We may need to first arrive at a new definition or rebrand and upgrade in other to preserve humanity. baby mama-ism and papa-ism can not be a long term solution.

We need to rebrand and upgrade marriage to preserve humanity? How would you rebrand and upgrade it?
And how have "traditional marriages" and a lower divorce rate saved humanity from destruction? Have they prevented wars, terrorism and ecological destruction? How many people suffer mentally from what they have experienced in their parents' marriage? undecided

Have been privileged to broker middle grounds for couples and I shed a few tears for mankind.

I am not shedding any tears. I see progress and how everything is getting better.

1 Like

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by chubhiee: 9:15pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

We need to rebrand and upgrade marriage to preserve humanity? How would you rebrand and upgrade it?
And how have "traditional marriages" and a lower divorce rate saved humanity from destruction? Have they prevented wars, terrorism and ecological destruction? How many people suffer mentally from what they have experienced in their parents' marriage? undecided

I am not shedding any tears. I see progress and how everything is getting better.
All I'm saying in essence is that marriage as it stands is not working. most couples are pretending and barely tolerating each other.
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 16, 2016
chubhiee:

All I'm saying in essence is that marriage as it stands is not working. most couples are pretending and barely tolerating each other.

Most? How do you know?
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by chubhiee: 9:32pm On Feb 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

Most? How do you know?
Perhaps, cos I once volunteered my free time to a group that handles marital issues.

1 Like

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Onegai(f): 9:46pm On Feb 16, 2016
I dunno if the Marriage institution is in as much danger as we think.

I know 2 married women who left their husbands over 40 years ago because they were cheating on their husbands. I know someone's grandmother who left her husband and remarried and she passed away years ago at the ripe old age of 100. And far too many people in my generation grew up with fathers who did and undid.

But couples are still wearing "And co" to attend church and functions and people are dancing even more at weddings (Saturday traffic is now bad in Lagos grin).

Maybe it's not that the rate of divorce is skyrocketing as time passes, but that the story of bad marriages is spreading faster.

After all, Mindfulness opened a thread to ask people to praise their SOs and even me, I no talk (but in my defence I was busy at that time plotting some acts of naughtiness against him but he caught me). If she had opened a "I hate my husband" thread, that would be on 7 pages and people would have asked the Mods to move it to the FrontPage by now.

1 Like

Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 16, 2016
Onegai:
I dunno if the Marriage institution is in as much danger as we think.

I know 2 married women who left their husbands over 40 years ago because they were cheating on their husbands. I know someone's grandmother who left her husband and remarried and she passed away years ago at the ripe old age of 100. And far too many people in my generation grew up with fathers who did and undid.

But couples are still wearing "And co" to attend church and functions and people are dancing even more at weddings (Saturday traffic is now bad in Lagos grin).

Maybe it's not that the rate of divorce is skyrocketing as time passes, but that the story of bad marriages is spreading faster.

After all, Mindfulness opened a thread to ask people to praise their SOs and even me, I no talk (but in my defence I was busy at that time plotting some acts of naughtiness against him but he caught me). If she had opened a "I hate my husband" thread, that would be on 7 pages and people would have asked the Mods to move it to the FrontPage by now.

Interesting, isn't it?

People, for some reason, find it easier to complain than appreciate.
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 16, 2016
chubhiee:

Perhaps, cos I once volunteered my free time to a group that handles marital issues.

No wonder you have not seen many happy couples. They don't visit such places.
Re: Don't Say 'yes' Until You Mean It. by DollyParton1(f): 2:14pm On Feb 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

Insult is definitely not normal in a relationship.
Pressure on the other hand is inevitable, but not that it should a frequent anyways.
Truth is that marriage is not an all sweet experience, one must be able to endure things here and there without becoming a footmat.

(1) (Reply)

HE HAS GONORRHEA, She Denies Any Wrongdoing - Happening Now / Pls House: Is There Any Way To Correct My 2 Year Old Girl K Leg / Change Of Schools Resumption Dates In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.