Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,451 members, 7,770,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:27 AM

Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank (18259 Views)

Nigerian Uber Driver In US Returns Passenger's Lost Money (Photos) / Coca-Cola Accused Of Abandoning Staff Who Was Amputated After Injury (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by lonelydora: 1:53am On Feb 17, 2016
They will take from your salary. As simple as that.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Jonwesley(m): 4:14am On Feb 17, 2016
He is a novice, nobody declares shortage as a bank staff, teller or whatever that U do that led to that. It's taken as connivance, complicity to theft or whatever it's called. If he wants to continue with the job, he should have paid it up since it's just 50k. Does he not have colleagues to advise or help out? Or relations that can cover up pending when he can repay back the loss? Does he expect the bank to accept his error or what? The fact that he is facing a panel is that he's already being marked as not of good quality. Even if he's spared after the query and all that, he may not survive retrenchment later. Nobody announces shortage as a bank staff that he can easily settle and that's what it's expected. And if your shortage is even higher than your ability then your bondsmen or referees will be called to pay for it and then of course sack letter follows.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by mandonnels(m): 5:05am On Feb 17, 2016
MzPecs:
After the day's work and trying to balance payments et all, my sister's husband found out that he lost 50,000naira to what we don't know about. He works with a Microfinance Bank.

Now, they said he's gonna face a panel tomorrow. My question is, what could be the possible outcome of this panel? Hope it won't lead to a sack letter?

I'll need answers please.. embarassed embarassed

he was nt suppose to declare d shortage. he was supos to pay

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by mandonnels(m): 5:08am On Feb 17, 2016
Jonwesley:
He is a novice, nobody declares shortage as a bank staff, teller or whatever that U do that led to that. It's taken as connivance, complicity to theft or whatever it's called. If he wants to continue with the job, he should have paid it up since it's just 50k. Does he not have colleagues to advise or help out? Or relations that can cover up pending when he can repay back the loss? Does he expect the bank to accept his error or what? The fact that he is facing a panel is that he's already being marked as not of good quality. Even if he's spared after the query and all that, he may not survive retrenchment later. Nobody announces shortage as a bank staff that he can easily settle and that's what it's expected. And if your shortage is even higher than your ability then your bondsmen or referees will be called to pay for it and then of course sack letter follows.
u havw said it all. kudos
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Mannylex(m): 6:00am On Feb 17, 2016
xtervaganza:
Banking job is crazy. It's funny when they have a shortage the staff will have to pay but whenever they have an overage they have to declare it and the bank will eat the money.

It is only when there's shortage that the bank makes noise

Speak not what you know bro. No bank would eat an overage. An overage is just as bad as a shortage. For any form of "eating" of overage to take place, you must have a fraudulent teller, fraudulent cash officer, fraudulent internal control officer... If all of those happens then that branch might as well close down cause they need Jesus. If you know of such act happening, kindly whistleblow, because when it's discovered even you that don't join in the eating would be implicated.

You declare both shortage( if you can pay the amount, no need declaring though) and overage. But when this becomes a regular, then it would seem as negligence and could as well result in job loss.

2 Likes

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Atk1nson(m): 6:11am On Feb 17, 2016
Sunnycliff:
If he can't recall how the money was lost, then his not a good banker because he lacks accountability and probity which are core values in the banking sector. He could be queried or retrenched or salary deducted depending on the disciplinary decision of the management.

Rubbish talk. I am yet to meet a teller who hasnot had cash shortage in his/her career, it has nothing to do with the above virtues, it's the human element

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by dayosweetness(m): 6:15am On Feb 17, 2016
hakeem4:
It happened to one of my neighbour . They just sacked him and put him in jail grin grin
you dont have sense, jail for 50k

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by mukthar2000(m): 6:18am On Feb 17, 2016
The Bank we give him or her enough time to work so that the can pay the money,and the next thing is Sack.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by dammytosh: 6:24am On Feb 17, 2016
The money must be paid back.

Nd something tells me he is lieing to evade a responsibility.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Exponental(m): 6:42am On Feb 17, 2016
CCTV should confirm if he stole it. if he didn't, probably an overpayment had occurred. it is called 'beans'. if u cook beans, u chop it! he will be made to pay it. That should be all! Except there are "other matters arising".

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by just2okworld(f): 7:14am On Feb 17, 2016
I dunno
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by olaide721(m): 7:43am On Feb 17, 2016
If after tracing it he is not guilty of the offence then he will have to pay the cash and leave him alone bur if the said money is found in his possession the he is a goner
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 17, 2016
MzPecs:
After the day's work and trying to balance payments et all, my sister's husband found out that he lost 50,000naira to what we don't know about. He works with a Microfinance Bank.

Now, they said he's gonna face a panel tomorrow. My question is, what could be the possible outcome of this panel? Hope it won't lead to a sack letter?

Either of these things usually happens:

1. His account will be DEBITED to the tune of N50,000.00 (the said amount).
2. Face a PANEL (DC) which usually leads to SUSPENSION/SACK.
3. After both 1 and 2 happened, he will be demoted which may lead to sack eventually...

NOTE: His case will depend on so many things like Bank Policy, State of the Economy, his CHARACTER/RECORD,
his OPERATIONS HEAD/MANAGER, his PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD etc...

MY ADVICE: Pray HARD for ur inlaw because appearing before a DC/PANEL means his days are numbered
in that Bank and this is not a good news. Only a few come out victorious.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by ksstroud: 8:13am On Feb 17, 2016
Mannylex:

Speak not what you know bro. No bank would eat an overage. An overage is just as bad as a shortage. For any form of "eating" of overage to take place, you must have a fraudulent teller, fraudulent cash officer, fraudulent internal control officer... If all of those happens then that branch might as well close down cause they need Jesus. If you know of such act happening, kindly whistleblow, because when it's discovered even you that don't join in the eating would be implicated.

You declare both shortage( if you can pay the amount, no need declaring though) and overage. But when this becomes a regular, then it would seem as negligence and could as well result in job loss.

Mannylex so soooooooooon
You are now a banking Don....grin...lemme send my kid sister to come and chop Lil out your ABC Bank cool cash....gringringrin
Howdy?
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by missKiffy(f): 8:17am On Feb 17, 2016
Sunnycliff:
If he can't recall how the money was lost, then his not a good banker because he lacks accountability and probity which are core values in the banking sector. He could be queried or retrenched or salary deducted depending on the disciplinary decision of the management.
Have you worked in a bank before

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by superdude007(m): 8:27am On Feb 17, 2016
I also work as a Cash Officer in a MFB in Abuja..they will not sack him..The head of the Internal Control will callover his work to check what actual happen. If he over pay customer..they will also check his error rate to determine the necesary sanction. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by tatucci: 9:06am On Feb 17, 2016
I dont think it will come to sacking. Unless he has a history of "missing" money. They will probably just ask him to repay the cash..
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by chibaic(m): 9:13am On Feb 17, 2016
shortages are common occurence among staffs that handle cash transactions in the bank,i dont' tink is somthing that can lead to sack,but the staff involve can pay up the instalmentaly from his/her salary after the bank must hv find a way to balance the account from other means.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by rummmy: 10:39am On Feb 17, 2016
Banks don't understand the word "you are unable to balance"its even better he pays with his money and do a proper call over letter instead of escalating..he must have performed a wrong transaction somewhere...once u lost money in the bank,you are a thief..he may eventually be sacked after the investigation though I pray let him get only warning letter.. In nigeria banks anyone is a thief,he could have cleard it,find the wrong transaction leta and correct it.........
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by viktor01(m): 10:47am On Feb 17, 2016
Be patient, you will find out tomorrow.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by rummmy: 10:49am On Feb 17, 2016
Atk1nson:

Rubbish talk. I am yet to meet a teller who hasnot had cash shortage in his/her career, it has nothing to do with the above virtues, it's the human element
most cash shortages comes as a result of your manager or other staff collecting money from you during working hours,and you forgot to collect the cash b4 balancing..some of the staffs may forget though....I suggest you open a book to write down such illegal transactions as refusing to give them may give a wrong picture of you

1 Like

Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Sammyblaq(m): 11:05am On Feb 17, 2016
Mannylex:
Basically , it should be a case of him paying back the shortage, it doesn't even require escalation, except it has been a regular occurrence. Am surprised he's going to face a panel... Seems a trivial issue to me though and doesn't warrant a sack.
well said...no man is perfect.

Niggars running shortage this days...
Counter staffs gbadonu anya
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Nobody: 4:24pm On Feb 17, 2016
MzPecs:

How far, na werin be d judgement/punishment
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by MzPecs(f): 6:13pm On Feb 17, 2016
adebayor1490:
How far, na werin be d judgement/punishment

Thanks..

He actually overpaid a customer an amount of 300k instead of 250k. He was so lucky cos the customer returned it.

My in-law was so happy when he called. Thanks for asking!
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Mannylex(m): 6:30pm On Feb 17, 2016
ksstroud:

Mannylex so soooooooooon
You are now a banking Don....grin...lemme send my kid sister to come and chop Lil out your ABC Bank cool cash....gringringrin
Howdy?

Lolz.... Am cool bro. Cheers.
Re: Consequences Of A Bank Staff Who Lost Money In The Bank by Nobody: 1:49am On Feb 20, 2016
MzPecs:

Thanks..

He actually overpaid a customer an amount of 300k instead of 250k. He was so lucky cos the customer returned it.

My in-law was so happy when he called. Thanks for asking!
Waoh..... Cheers!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Sue My Employer For Terminating My Appointment Without Reason / NSCDC New Salary Scale Structure (updated) / Banking Sector: Hnd Graduates Vs B.sc Graduates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.